Funny story when I saw Robert...

MightyZep

Back in 2005 I scored some tickets to see Robert and his Strange Sensation in Dallas, Texas. He put on an amazing show, hell just being able to see "one of the boys" with my own eyes was amazing for me. So, I was really getting into the show and had had a couple beers before. It was one of those rare perfect nights. Problem was, I was a little too into the show.

Halfway through the set Robert pulls out one of my favorite Zep tunes of all time- Going to California. I sang to it not wanting to miss a beat, (I know the words backwards and forwards like all of us here do). After a couple minutes the song comes to a close and the crowd cheers and whisles crazily. So, Robert decides to give a little 'Zeppelin 1973' talk to the crowd. He says, "Is it as hard as it seems children? Hmm? What happened to the children of the sun?" This ofcourse is that rhetorical, lovable, nonsensical talk of Robert. I so happend to forget that it is rhetorical.

Since I was close to the stage, I screamed as loud as I could, "The children awoke! They begin to awake Robert! They begin to awake!" Suddenly it seems like everyone in my vicinity gets oddly quiet. Everyone, including Robert who seemed to have heard me, looks at me as if I am the stupidest person on the planet. How dare I of answered one of his Plantations? Damn it was embarressing, I was the only one who didn't get the "rhetorical" part. After what felt like an eternity, he resumed his talking and then went on to other songs. Four years later, and I still get crap from my family and friends who were there to witness that. Every so often I hear, "They awoke Robert!" and everyone 'in the know' understands what that means. Just sucks that my one moment for him to notice me was so damn ridiculous!

It's okay, it isn't like he spotted you out in the crowd and if you ever meet him he'd remember.

That's a pretty funny story though.

Don't be so sure of that.......he actually remembered something he saw a group of us do from the audience once.

Archived