Cleveland 4/28/77

ZepFanatic

Wow, I was trying to be respectful of forum guidelines and not post links or websites. I sent a pm(which means PRIVATE message) and it was censored. I have to say bullshit. If thats the case then make it clear that pms will be screened as well as the forums.

I've got this LP. It's the Destroyer. It's a four LP Box set. It came in a black box. inside is a sheet of paper with a battle scene on it and a list of the songs. It doesn't have Stairway. My friend has the previous night on LP and it does have Stairway.

It also has a very cool version of the star spangled banner. If I remember right the sound gets really loud, not sure if it's a technical screwup or a jp masterpiece.

I was a student at Ohio State in Columbus, Ohio when this concert took place.

Alot of guys from my dorm drove to Cleveland's Richfield Coluseum for this concert. I remember that it was mid-week and I was thinking how stupid they were to make this road trip and miss classes and mid-term exams just to see this band that I wasn't particularly crazy about at the time! :lol:

How stupid of me to not recognize what a fantastic opportunity it was to see the greatest band of all time. They would never play in the USA again after this tour.

By the way, the people who went couldn't stop talking about the concert for weeks! They said it was fantastic!

For latter period Zeppelin, it's an excellent show- certainly representative of a "good night", which were few and far between post '73, IMO. Decent recording, too, in spite of the cuts.

...and, as you can tell by my nickname, the Tchaikovsky interlude in "No Quarter" is fucking brilliant! :D

A soundboard simply wouldn't do this show justice, though it'd make for an interesting matrix...

For latter period Zeppelin, it's an excellent show- certainly representative of a "good night", which were few and far between post '73, IMO. Decent recording, too, in spite of the cuts.

...and, as you can tell by my nickname, the Tchaikovsky interlude in "No Quarter" is fucking brilliant! :D

A soundboard simply wouldn't do this show justice, though it'd make for an interesting matrix...

Agreed....it is actually one of the top 5 1977 shows, up there with 6/21/77 and 6/23/77 LA and the Landover run...

The repeated "Oh fuck!" by the taper are kind of annoying especially because they sound more like he's saying it just to say it than it's directed at any specific thing. I get a kick out of the guy near the recorder who tells his buddy the name of every song that's coming up...he seems to know the setlist quite well...he anticipates quite a few of the tunes...he obviously has seen Zeppelin before!

The repeated "Oh fuck!" by the taper are kind of annoying especially because they sound more like he's saying it just to say it than it's directed at any specific thing. I get a kick out of the guy near the recorder who tells his buddy the name of every song that's coming up...he seems to know the setlist quite well...he anticipates quite a few of the tunes...he obviously has seen Zeppelin before!

Well, as I recall, the first time he says it after "Sick Again", you hear Plant go, "Oh..." I swear he heard the guy (stands to reason; obviously they had good seats to get such a decent recording), then the taper says to his friend, "My god, we're in trouble..." wonder what that was all about? Perhaps they were spotted, hence the quick burst of feedback and then the cut into "NFBM"?

I also get a chuckle out of the tapers right before "Trampled Under Foot": "Hey, Jimmy, we love you, Jimmy!" Then his friend pipes up: "Hey, Jimmy, learn how to play guitar!"

:D "Destroyer II"...audience recording as audio-verite...I admit I can take Beavis and Butthead who taped this show over the bonehead " 'Heartbreaker'!!! " guy on June 21st...

Well, as I recall, the first time he says it after "Sick Again", you hear Plant go, "Oh..." I swear he heard the guy (stands to reason; obviously they had good seats to get such a decent recording), then the taper says to his friend, "My god, we're in trouble..." wonder what that was all about? Perhaps they were spotted, hence the quick burst of feedback and then the cut into "NFBM"?

I also get a chuckle out of the tapers right before "Trampled Under Foot": "Hey, Jimmy, we love you, Jimmy!" Then his friend pipes up: "Hey, Jimmy, learn how to play guitar!"

:D "Destroyer II"...audience recording as audio-verite...I admit I can take Beavis and Butthead who taped this show over the bonehead " 'Heartbreaker'!!! " guy on June 21st...

Yes I love those two bits as well. I always took the "we're in trouble" to mean he had issues with the recorder but perhaps Cole and Grant saw him? :D

Yeah the "learn how to play guitar" comment is pretty damn funny, especially since this is one of the 5 best shows of the 1977 tour where Jimmy COULD play the guitar!

Yeah the dope who yells for Heartbreaker on 6/21 is also probably the same moron who keeps yelling about "his Elvis t-shirt" and "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" on 6/25!

Anyone who didn't see Zeppelin at least once in 1977 concert should recuse themselves from debating that tour was below par. They're simply in no position to judge. It's wishful thinking to judge a concert from a recording of it, even a sanctioned official one, unless you were an audience member too. I saw them in Houston in '77 and have a soundboard bootleg of that night. The show was tight and dynamic, the soundboard reveals mistakes that didn't even register inside the Houston Summit.

I'm puzzled by those who like the Cleveland, L.A. and Landover bootlegs yet nurse an innate belief the '77 tour stunk up the joint. Every bootleg I've heard rocks hard, even the Oakland shows kick. Of all the '77 stuff I've seen and heard only the Seattle Kingdome video footage in July sounded a little lackluster by comparison; Bonzo's definitely phoning in Moby Dick.

Anyone who didn't see Zeppelin at least once in 1977 concert should recuse themselves from debating that tour was below par. They're simply in no position to judge. It's wishful thinking to judge a concert from a recording of it, even a sanctioned official one, unless you were an audience member too. I saw them in Houston in '77 and have a soundboard bootleg of that night. The show was tight and dynamic, the soundboard reveals mistakes that didn't even register inside the Houston Summit.

I'm puzzled by those who like the Cleveland, L.A. and Landover bootlegs yet nurse an innate belief the '77 tour stunk up the joint. Every bootleg I've heard rocks hard, even the Oakland shows kick. Of all the '77 stuff I've seen and heard only the Seattle Kingdome video footage in July sounded a little lackluster by comparison; Bonzo's definitely phoning in Moby Dick.

I like ALL Zeppelin, but my wife and a few friends call me "The King Of '77" for a reason. I love that tour; "Presence" and "PG" are my favourite Zep albums- I've got all the available 1977 shows in one form or another. It's the only tour by anybodywhere I had to get every available show. I was nine years old at the time; I'd've given my left nut (sorry, honey) to have gone to a show on that tour (Shit, even fucking Tempe would suffice...maybe...) and I still would! Sure, maybe they weren't as on fire as in the early days, but, Christ, who is? IMO Zep's folly in 1977 was the size and scope of the tour, not necessarily the performances. On any given night at least three fourths of the band -with only a couple of notable genuinely health related exceptions (Bonham in San Diego; Plant in Seattle)- were pretty much guaranteed to be on the ball; Page being the wild card in the deck. But even the smacked out abandon with which Jimmy played in 1977 has its charm...you'd be hard pressed to find a bigger '77 fanatic or defender than yours truly, gang.

Unfortunately, some of the '77 slaggers can't see it that way, but the reality is it can't remain 1972 forever. (Bleedin' Stones fans have the same fuckin' problem...and, having said that, I've heard enough genuinely bad Stones boots to know that they played more bad shows than good...performances so bad -even in the 'classic' Mick Taylor era- they make Tempe seem like it's the Boston Tea Party in '69. Though they were decent the three times I saw them)

What one doesn't see when listening to a '77 show (or any live recording) is the visual impact of timed effects that ocurred onstage: smoke, lights, fire, etc. Page's guitar break with the violin bow/Theremin/EchoPlex antics leading into Achilles has a better light show than anything the Floyd ever did. The laser pyramid routine around Page was awe-inspiring rock theater---regardless if one was straight, stoned, or indifferent.

The same effect didn't seen quite as grand during The Firm's tours.

Hey, I agree with you guys, I've always loved 1977, but I still say it wasn't their finest hour...even 1975 on the whole is better, although I love the setlists and # of songs in 1977 more (the standard 1975 set was 12 songs plus 1-2 encores!). For me it's Jimmy's wafer-thin guitar tone and the erraticness of his performance...he could go from brilliant to shit within the same song, let alone gig to gig.

That being said I'm sure the overall experience of BEING THERE was way better than listening to it immortalized for all time on a bootleg...

Hey, I agree with you guys, I've always loved 1977, but I still say it wasn't their finest hour...even 1975 on the whole is better, although I love the setlists and # of songs in 1977 more (the standard 1975 set was 12 songs plus 1-2 encores!). For me it's Jimmy's wafer-thin guitar tone and the erraticness of his performance...he could go from brilliant to shit within the same song, let alone gig to gig.

That being said I'm sure the overall experience of BEING THERE was way better than listening to it immortalized for all time on a bootleg...

If I had to try the case of '75 vs. '77 in a court of law, my defense of 1977 would be simple. I'd let the other side play as many 1975 bootlegs as they deemed necessary, blast back Listen To This, Eddie or Badgeholders, and then rest.

"In summation, ladies & gentlemen of the jury, I allege the 1977 tour is fairly littered with magic nights. Whereas 1975 was competent: where are the luminary gigs, the edge of your seat excitement, where's the big ones? Seattle 7-21-75? Nyet! Earl's Court? PUH-leeeze, that was nearly as polite as the '71 BBC Paris Theater show."

The jury's out now.

If I had to try the case of '75 vs. '77 in a court of law, my defense of 1977 would be simple. I'd let the other side play as many 1975 bootlegs as they deemed necessary, blast back Listen To This, Eddie or Badgeholders, and then rest.

"In summation, ladies & gentlemen of the jury, I allege the 1977 tour is fairly littered with magic nights. Whereas 1975 was competent: where are the luminary gigs, the edge of your seat excitement, where's the big ones? Seattle 7-21-75? Nyet! Earl's Court? PUH-leeeze, that was nearly as polite as the '71 BBC Paris Theater show."

The jury's out now.

Good case, I especially like how you say 71 BBC sessions were "polite" as Ive always thought BBC sessions sounded like they were studio, not live.

But, I think you are wrong as in order to be fair the jury would have to be people who have not heard Live Zeppelin or at least not live Zeppelin from those two years. And I think 1975 would win because of the number of great quality soundboards. Even the best audience recordings sound a little rough to a beginners ear when its used to the crispness of 75 soundboard. Even the two best 77 recording, best audience recordings ever could sound a little off at first. I know I thought that when I first heard them I was just wishing they were soundboards, since then I have grow accustomed to their sound and actually prefer them over soundboards, as many do.

The court is reminded the case being tried '75 vs. '77 is based on the tour merits, and the bootlegs are merely exhibits of evidence.

The judge & jury are biased, a foregone conclusion, they're old school rockers one and all, the honourable Richard Cole presiding. Take a peek at the transcripts:

COURT: "If the 1975 table does not object, Mr. Dirigible, would you mind playing that version of Nobody's Fault But Mine from June 23rd once again?"

COUNSEL FOR 1975: "No objections, your honor, we'd like to hear it again; it kicks fucking ass."

COUNSEL FOR 1977: "I'd be delighted, sir. What volume? 6? 8?"

COURT: "Have you lost your mind, Mr. Dirigible, it's Led Zeppelin on trial here. 10! And be quick about it."

COUNSEL FOR 1977: "As you wish, your honor."

So you can see, EzyEric, why my hopes are high. Adieu.

The court is reminded the case being tried '75 vs. '77 is based on the tour merits, and the bootlegs are merely exhibits of evidence.

The judge & jury are biased, a foregone conclusion, they're old school rockers one and all, the honourable Richard Cole presiding. Take a peek at the transcripts:

COURT: "If the 1975 table does not object, Mr. Dirigible, would you mind playing that version of Nobody's Fault But Mine from June 23rd once again?"

COUNSEL FOR 1975: "No objections, your honor, we'd like to hear it again; it kicks fucking ass."

COUNSEL FOR 1977: "I'd be delighted, sir. What volume? 6? 8?"

COURT: "Have you lost your mind, Mr. Dirigible, it's Led Zeppelin on trial here. 10! And be quick about it."

COUNSEL FOR 1977: "As you wish, your honor."

So you can see, EzyEric, why my hopes are high. Adieu.

Still cranking out the awesome and yet humorous posts are we

There are some photos by the taper in the Timeline:

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/april-28-1977

He had amazing seats.

Wow Sam, thanks for the info, I never would've guessed that, the recording is quite good, but being that close to the stage it could've been better, anyways the venue had not the greatest acoustics, but I think it might be based more on the equipment, also note that they only had 1 (or two?) cassettes, not the necessary to tape the entire show, thus the cuts between songs.

Archived