Going...Going...Gone...Goodbye!

SuperDave

In the words of longtime New York Mets' broadcaster Ralph Kiner, Shea Stadium is no more, (according to the thread title) as of about 11:25 a.m. today. As much of a monstrocity this stadium was, I will miss it being a longtime Mets fan. I have many good memories as well as some bad ones there. Shea hosted two World Series championships by the Mets as well the first post 9/11 sporting event there as well, which I attended with Mike Piazza's momumental homerun against the Braves.

It was also the host to numerous other events including a papal visit by Pope John Paul II and numerous concerts including most famously by The Beatles, The Police, Simon and Garfunkel, The Rolling Stones, The Who and Bruce Springsteen.

Here is video of the final section of the stadium crashing down to the ground this morning.

Share your memories and comments if you wish.

I have been a die hard Mets fan since 1973 so seeing Shea come down is very sad for me.

I remember the first game I ever went to at Shea (1974), I went with my father & brother. We only had a black & white TV, and when I walked from the concession area to where the seats are, I just had to say "ooooohhhh" because it was the first time I ever saw it in color. We sat in the Loge section, just underneath the overhang. Unfortunately the Mets weren't doing so good in the game, at the 7th inning stretch they were losing 3-0. My father asked me how many runs I thought the Mets would get in this inning, and I said 5- which drew a lot of laughs from my father & some other people around us. You guessed it- the Mets got 5 runs in that inning & held on to win the game.

I never got to go to Opening Day, but was lucky to have tickets for a few of the playoff games in 2006, including Game 7 of the NLCS. We were in the Upper Deck, and when the Mets were trying to rally, everybody was jumping, stomping & waving the rally towels- and then the Upper Deck started swaying - I was so scared, I thought Shea was going to collapse! Even though the Mets lost that game, it was really electric & magical to be as one with 54,000 other Mets fans that night.

The last game that I went to was in September against the Braves. They had to make up a game that had got rained out, so we got a doubleheader. By the start of the second game, many people had left, and by mid-game, my husband & I were just about the only ones left in our section. It was a beautiful, not too warm evening, we had room to stretch out & out in the distance we could see a fireworks show that Flushing was having. And the Mets won the game..........

Goodbye Shea........................

It's always a shame to see these old gathering places torn down. Shea was hardly the most

pleasing structure on the eyes, but she had her share of golden moments in time. You can't

replace mystique and character, which I'm convinced Mr. Steinbrenner will learn the hard

way when the new Yankee Stadium opens.

It's always a shame to see these old gathering places torn down. Shea was hardly the most

pleasing structure on the eyes, but she had her share of golden moments in time. You can't

replace mystique and character, which I'm convinced Mr. Steinbrenner will learn the hard

I agree Steve. There was something about Shea that spoke so well for sports in the late 60's. The Namath Jets, the Miracle Mets. Not to mention the concerts that were played there. Yankee Stadium well, too many events to count but so many significant moments in sports history. Your right, George will learn the hard way. Kinda like taking the Lambeau out of Green Bay.

How come Zeppelin never played there? Ok, I know they liked to encamp at Madison Square Gardens for days but still I would have thought that Shea Stadium would have hosted a Zeppelin gig, especially as they used to play at other huge venues across the U.S.

If they ever tear down Candlestick I don't think too many people will mourn as it was built in an awful place with the wind and most teams hated playing there. But it also has a lot of history with Mayes, McCovey, Marichal, Gaylord Perry, etc. and the rivalry of the hated Dodgers.

B)

Shea was hardly the most pleasing structure on the eyes

A dump, compared to Yankee stadium. We had seats near the bullpen, where weeds were growing and the opposing team's pitchers got beer and insults hurled at them as they tried to warm up. The apple looked to have been patched with duct tape and painted over, from close view. And the $9.00 Millers (gag) were piss warm!

Archived