Will "classic" rock ever come back?

nki

Grunge COMPLETELY rearranged the rock music landscape. It completely changed what was allowed to be played on mainstream radio and TV programs. It didn't kill off music, it killed off (as far as mainstream popularity goes) the basic sonic elements that had been common in popular rock music up to that point, ever since the late 60s.

I'm generalizing here, obviously. There will always be a few exceptions. Pearl Jam's "Alive" sounds like classic rock to me, at least for the second half.

I don't doubt grunge's influence on the future of music but you can't discount punk's influence either.

I don't doubt grunge's influence on the future of music but you can't discount punk's influence either.

Most grunge music was a fusion of punk and hard rock anyway's. Not necessarily ground breaking but some great stuff was released alright. As Robert say's, everybody is knickin' somebody. At the end of the day, Grunge provided some great music and a lot of good times. Bring it on home :)

Most grunge music was a fusion of punk and hard rock anyway's. Not necessarily ground breaking but some great stuff was released alright. As Robert say's, everybody is knickin' somebody. At the end of the day, Grunge provided some great music and a lot of good times. Bring it on home :)

Agreed :D

Punk, Grunge and Metal was influenced by "Classic" Rock, end of story.

It remains to be seen of the modern bands who will inherit the title of "Classic", if any.

IMO the pickings are slim.

There's a lot of truth to that statement Reg. We were so lucky to have grown up in such an experimental age that sometimes I'm not sure it actually happened... :lol:

Punk, Grunge and Metal was influenced by "Classic" Rock, end of story.

It remains to be seen of the modern bands who will inherit the title of "Classic", if any.

IMO the pickings are slim.

Yes and no. For many the "influence" of classic rock was to be the anthesis of it, it influenced many punk bands to get back to the roots and avoid the needless excesses rock had attached to it. To be fair it's probably more logical to say both punk and classic rock, using obvious examples as the definition, were influenced by something that predated both, that would be blues. Without blues no modern form of rock music is possible.

Grunge COMPLETELY rearranged the rock music landscape. It completely changed what was allowed to be played on mainstream radio and TV programs. It didn't kill off music, it killed off (as far as mainstream popularity goes) the basic sonic elements that had been common in popular rock music up to that point, ever since the late 60s.

I'm generalizing here, obviously. There will always be a few exceptions. Pearl Jam's "Alive" sounds like classic rock to me, at least for the second half.

Hmm, I don't know, I think we can all acknowledge that grunge killed off the hair metal that came before it, but I think both of those types of music still rely on the basic sonic elements of earlier rock music. Like you said, PJ sounds very classic rocky, and seriously, how much does Soundgarden sound like Led Zep? Stone Temple Pilots even did some live Zep covers.

The grunge bands definitely incorporated some new sounds, especially punk, into their music, but I still think they rely on bands like Zep and the Beatles just as much as the hair metal scene they killed off did - just in different ways. Instead of picking up on the blistering guitar solos and caterwauling Plant-esque vocals of Zep, they picked up on the big, chunky guitar riffs and the balance between loud and soft guitars. That's what I hear, anyway.

Aquamarine is right, don't confuse the term "Classic rock" with a genre. Whatever "great" rock band out there today, will someday be labled as "Classic rock" too.

I see no difference in impact between punk and grunge. Punk music made most of the 80's music to sound they way it did, just as grunge did with the 90's. Both punk and grunge is influencing bands today as well. Everything in music goes in cycles. In the early 70's you got the 50's rock'n'roll revival, for example.

Who would want "It" to?

Musician's need to move on, progress, create new music if they can and leave well enough alone! Enjoy new sounds of today, if you can find them, and research/discover/acquire music of the "classic rock" period to add to your arsenal. There's plenty out there to resurrect from the dust bins and "new" releases with added material still coming out. For instance, The Who's "The Who Sell Out" deluxe edition is coming out next Tuesday the 17th. It's certainly one of the best of the "classic rock" period/mindset, so get your fill from the days of glory. The best of that "genre" has been made, it can't be matched, so why try?

o5ue1e.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Who-Sell-Out/dp/B001...4022&sr=1-1

Who would want "It" to?

I agree. I also agree that "Classic Rock" is not a genre. That's not to be disrespectful towards older artists as I love the music I grew up on but I also love the music that's coming out today. As for the labeling aspect, there is also a radio format these days known as "Classic Alternative".

I agree. I also agree that "Classic Rock" is not a genre. That's not to be disrespectful towards older artists as I love the music I grew up on but I also love the music that's coming out today. As for the labeling aspect, there is also a radio format these days known as "Classic Alternative".

Agreed.

It's simple--in 20, 30 years, people will look back at today's music and THAT will be classic rock.

Since the start of the rock era, there's always been bubblegum, there's always been hard rock, there's always been pop, etc. For some reason, folks seem to think that the previous generation's was by definition better than theirs. It's like the same way children were always well-behaved back in the day, and people always looked out for their neighbors, etc. etc. :D

I highly doubt that; People will be craving more for it if anything. The people who know and appreciate the "Groove" will carry the "rhythm" on (what a market that will be). I suggest we bring back analog recordings if anything. though i must say that a minute amount of bands are carrying the rhythm on.

only the greats like Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilie Peppers, Nirvana, Barenaked Ladies and so on will be deemed as classic rock in 20 or 30 years...but compare them to a Zeppelin or The Who and you will have a "no contest" rule.

we have a radio station here in Toronto that plays classic rock, Q107, and i strongly doubt that they will refrain from letting our citizens enjoy/learn Hendrix, Zeppelin, The Beatles ect(the little ones love it)...It will just carry on and pick the songs that "Groove" from the 90's and beyond.

i cant wait for the day that we all look out for our neighbors and the children are well behaved(1950's kicked ass for that...but man found out how easy it was to lie and then the greed took over lol).

Now a days people don't even tend to care about their neighbors. I guess we got to show them what "the nodding of the head" means. In Bold terms... Everyone needs to learn how to be humble again... sad but true B)

only the greats like Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chilie Peppers, Nirvana, Barenaked Ladies and so on will be deemed as classic rock in 20 or 30 years...but compare them to a Zeppelin or The Who and you will have a "no contest" rule.

Having worked in radio before the term "classic rock" came into vogue (meaning prior to it becoming a format unto itself) I always found it interesting that a song that was only a few years old could be considered a "classic". Of the groups you mention, all of them (save Zeppelin and the Who) were considered "alternative" or "Modern Rock" at one time. I also recall hearing R.E.M., U2, the Cars, the Police, and a variety of other artists on stations that were predominately "album rock" (AOR) before the word "alternative" was coined. That's because they were all "rock n' roll" no matter how you slice it. Yes, we sometimes need terms like hardcore, punk, grunge, new wave, alternative, etc. to describe music but to quote Billy Joel, "it's still rock n' roll to me". That's why I detest terms like "Classic Rock". It's so confining it gives rock n' roll itself a bad name and leads the otherwise uninformed to refer to it as a genre rather than a marketing term thought up by a radio programmer to describe a format of music.

Having worked in radio before the term "classic rock" came into vogue (meaning prior to it becoming a format unto itself) I always found it interesting that a song that was only a few years old could be considered a "classic". Of the groups you mention, all of them (save Zeppelin and the Who) were considered "alternative" or "Modern Rock" at one time. I also recall hearing R.E.M., U2, the Cars, the Police, and a variety of other artists on stations that were predominately "album rock" (AOR) before the word "alternative" was coined. That's because they were all "rock n' roll" no matter how you slice it. Yes, we sometimes need terms like hardcore, punk, grunge, new wave, alternative, etc. to describe music but to quote Billy Joel, "it's still rock n' roll to me". That's why I detest terms like "Classic Rock". It's so confining it gives rock n' roll itself a bad name and leads the otherwise uninformed to refer to it as a genre rather than a marketing term thought up by a radio programmer to describe a format of music.

100% correct ... I think it will change maybe, over time. Classic Rock is appealing though, to the ones who are trying to find a new "path" and not to familiar with the subject. You Have to remember also that these radio stations also need to make a sale as well. For example, a father telling his young son "ehh why don't you listen to this classical shit with me while we down a 12 pack" lets you know he's using the term classical to open his eyes. (i hope no one takes that quote seriously...dark humor was intended. I've heard so many guys call into a station wasted, making requests wile siting in their garages).

Like i said... I agree with you one hundred percent. It will always remain rock & roll but unfortunately money talks...unless...

now a quick one...

what would you say about classical music then? a guy comes out with a piece that has the same "groove" as Mozart or Beethoven...do you still call it classical? (and this guy/chick is the poorest of the poor and also suffers from Bi-Polar lol)

i say the genre should go by the persons name. Beethoven was Beethoven and Mozart was Mozart. (LED ZEPPELIN was LED ZEPPELIN lol)

so now, whats the name for current classical? it's not philharmonic, that's for sure...

sorry for the headache

100% correct ... I think it will change maybe, over time. Classic Rock is appealing though, to the ones who are trying to find a new "path" and not to familiar with the subject. You Have to remember also that these radio stations also need to make a sale as well. For example, a father telling his young son "ehh why don't you listen to this classical shit with me while we down a 12 pack" lets you know he's using the term classical to open his eyes. (i hope no one takes that quote seriously...dark humor was intended. I've heard so many guys call into a station wasted, making requests wile siting in their garages).

Like i said... I agree with you one hundred percent. It will always remain rock & roll but unfortunately money talks...unless...

now a quick one...

what would you say about classical music then? a guy comes out with a piece that has the same "groove" as Mozart or Beethoven...do you still call it classical? (and this guy/chick is the poorest of the poor and also suffers from Bi-Polar lol)

i say the genre should go by the persons name. Beethoven was Beethoven and Mozart was Mozart. (LED ZEPPELIN was LED ZEPPELIN lol)

so now, whats the name for current classical? it's not philharmonic, that's for sure...

sorry for the headache

I think it's still called classical music as a genre, not referring to it being "classic" if you see what I mean.

Archived