Will "classic" rock ever come back?

nki

That's just the way it was laid down in Austin, Texas during the years 1973-1977 on KLBJ-FM.

I have no more respect for people involved in today's Corporate Classic Rock Radio, than I ever did for the people involved in AM Top 40 radio, which is no respect at all.

You listen to KLBJ? That's my station of choice since returning to Texas. I miss 102.3 though, which is now long gone and turned into a christian station or something. KLBJ has played a few things not to my liking though, crap rock, but overall, they play more that I like than any other station.

I believe it will under the likes of bands like "The Answer". If you have not heard them do so the old fashion way and buy there new CD.

Regards

Cav

Well, that's nice and all, for what it is.... an entertaing show of eclectic music with the stories behind the music....

But............. I want a radio tation that I can tune into, ANYTIME, night, or day, and just hear great groovy music, THAT DOES ---NOT--- HAVE TO BE "SET UP" by a DJ.

Ino ther words, the music itself does the communicating.

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of radio I would listen to.

I really don't need Alice Cooper, or Bob Dylan, or whomever setting up songs for me....

But, like I said, a show like Little Steven's Underground, with ecletic music and stories behind the music, is okay for what it is.....

I just prefer, a cool, laid back, non-star radio DJ to spin the tracks for me.

That's just the way it was laid down in Austin, Texas during the years 1973-1977 on KLBJ-FM.

I have no more respect for people involved in today's Corporate Classic Rock Radio, than I ever did for the people involved in AM Top 40 radio, which is no respect at all.

I don't care for mindless chatter from a dj but I don't mind when they're giving me background or historical context of a particular artist but I like learning about that sort of thing.

I believe it will under the likes of bands like "The Answer". If you have not heard them do so the old fashion way and buy there new CD.

Regards

Cav

I gather you're a big fan of this band ;):D (not said meanly btw!)

Well, that's nice and all, for what it is.... an entertaing show of eclectic music with the stories behind the music....

But............. I want a radio tation that I can tune into, ANYTIME, night, or day, and just hear great groovy music, THAT DOES ---NOT--- HAVE TO BE "SET UP" by a DJ.

Ino ther words, the music itself does the communicating.

Yeah, that's exactly the kind of radio I would listen to.

I really don't need Alice Cooper, or Bob Dylan, or whomever setting up songs for me....

But, like I said, a show like Little Steven's Underground, with ecletic music and stories behind the music, is okay for what it is.....

I just prefer, a cool, laid back, non-star radio DJ to spin the tracks for me.

<_< Thing that get's under my skin is when they play a song from say the 70's that you rarely heard back then and they don't tell you the name of the song or the band.

One other thing is they hardly ever say what time it is but that has always been the standard with FM radio stations. :rolleyes:

I never listen to radio. Why let anyone decide what I should listen to when I can decide for myself. :D Sure, it can be entertaining if the DJ's got something to say, but otherwise it's not very likely I would like their playlist as much as I like my own. I look for *new music on the internet, magazines and record shops.

* with new, I mean new for me, not necessarily produced in the 00's. I prefer not to sort music in new and old by year, only to what I like and do not like.

I never listen to radio. Why let anyone decide what I should listen to when I can decide for myself. :D Sure, it can be entertaining if the DJ's got something to say, but otherwise it's not very likely I would like their playlist as much as I like my own. I look for *new music on the internet, magazines and record shops.

* with new, I mean new for me, not necessarily produced in the 00's. I prefer not to sort music in new and old by year, only to what I like and do not like.

I don't listen to commercial radio stations - I generally have or have heard what they play (which is a very narrow list sadly). I do like certain shows that have a more college radio format to them so they play tons of obscure stuff.

True, problem is sometimes I get tired of what I have/know and can't decide what to listen to. :D

Find a used or rare CD store and pick something out that looks interesting, listen to something on the internet that you haven't heard of, ask someone else for a recommendation. Wikipedia is great, I just look up Classical composers and then hunt down their music.

Find a used or rare CD store and pick something out that looks interesting, listen to something on the internet that you haven't heard of, ask someone else for a recommendation. Wikipedia is great, I just look up Classical composers and then hunt down their music.

I've done that but sometimes I like to just listen to random songs on the radio without paying it much attention or giving it too much thought, and you may discover some good music too. :)

True, problem is sometimes I get tired of what I have/know and can't decide what to listen to. :D

Sometimes I don't know what to listen to either, but it doesn't make me put the radio on, I rather go out and purchase something new. If I'm going to listen to something randomly I only pick something of off the shelf and listen to it. Sometimes I find a record in my shelf that I've only listen to once, it's almost like a new experience listnen to it for the second time :D

You listen to KLBJ? That's my station of choice since returning to Texas. I miss 102.3 though, which is now long gone and turned into a christian station or something. KLBJ has played a few things not to my liking though, crap rock, but overall, they play more that I like than any other station.

I listened to KLBJ-FM when I was in Austin from 1973-1977.....

It was so good back then, without any BS in the way of commerical c-r-a-p songs, that I could and would listen for Hours..... That is listen--- not just "background" music. I could turn KLBJ-FM on anytime day or noght and hear cool groovy music.... EVEN IN THE MORNING, WHEN THE STATION WAS INTENTIONALLY LAID BACK ----- THERE WAS NO "MORNING DRIVE SHOW" with innane jokes and all of the other mindless crap for the working masses to "get them" to to work that day !!!! What a Cool commercial station that was back in the day.....

You guys should check out a band called "Grand Magus". I just discovered them, I debated about posting this in the guitar solo thread, but meh.

Here it is

Groovy blues rock blasting stoner goodness

I can't believe someone just referenced Grand Magus. Their newest album "I am the North" is freaking outstanding. Good on you, dude.

Anyway, we have to remember that "Classic Rock" doesn't refer to a time period, it refers to a style of music. Led Zeppelin is a classic rock band, the Black Crowes are a classic rock band, Witchcraft is a classic rock band, and those guys are all from different decades. It's a style of music that favors ambition. What killed the style, or made it unhip, was Nirvana and grunge in the early 90s. Suddenly it wasn't cool to be good at your instruments, but rather it was cool to perform sloppy, unchallenging music and be mopey. Since then, "alternative" has been the popular music rather than "rock."

Of course, we always had pop music, even back in Zep's day. Then it was rock/heavy metal and pop, now it's alternative and pop that gets widespread airplay.

So in answer to the question, I doubt classic rock (I shorten it to just rock) will ever really come back in a big way into the mainstream. The alternative influence has stuck around for almost 20 years now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

I can't believe someone just referenced Grand Magus. Their newest album "I am the North" is freaking outstanding. Good on you, dude.

Anyway, we have to remember that "Classic Rock" doesn't refer to a time period, it refers to a style of music. Led Zeppelin is a classic rock band, the Black Crowes are a classic rock band, Witchcraft is a classic rock band, and those guys are all from different decades. It's a style of music that favors ambition. What killed the style, or made it unhip, was Nirvana and grunge in the early 90s. Suddenly it wasn't cool to be good at your instruments, but rather it was cool to perform sloppy, unchallenging music and be mopey. Since then, "alternative" has been the popular music rather than "rock."

Of course, we always had pop music, even back in Zep's day. Then it was rock/heavy metal and pop, now it's alternative and pop that gets widespread airplay.

So in answer to the question, I doubt classic rock (I shorten it to just rock) will ever really come back in a big way into the mainstream. The alternative influence has stuck around for almost 20 years now and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere.

You missed punk, in the 70s? Plus, there was no such thing as "heavy metal" when Zep started. All that got widespread airplay then, in the UK anyway, was pop, while the pirate radio stations played pop AND "underground music," most of which has since been redefined as "classic rock".

The more of this thread I read, the more convinced I am there is no such thing as classic rock, except in terms of chronology. Wait long enough, Coldplay will be classic rock, and everybody will find them a heck of a lot hipper than they did while they're a contemporary band, just because they're from an earlier era.

^ Punk didn't have the effect that Grunge (which is just slower punk) had in the U.S. The magnitude of the impact was different.

I guess by airplay I meant all the forms of music exposure. Led Zeppelin filled places like Madison Square Garden and the Long Beach Arena. A band that plays similar music that emerged after the grunge explosion sure as hell won't be able to attract a crowd like that these days.

Coldplay will never be classic rock, because they don't play music in that vein. That's not to say there won't be a radio station that calls itself classic rock in 30 years and spins Coldplay, but the term really refers to a set of sonic values (for lack of a better term) that in the States, were made completely unhip in the early 90s. As far as popularity in the UK, it may have been punk in the late 70s, I have no knowledge of how popular it was/is there.

Why don't you try to gather your speech and tell me why I'm so wrong? Both forms of music emphasize attitude and sloppiness, which is in direct contrast to the sonic values of classic rock (good singers, good musicians, ambition in the compositions, etc.)

^ Punk didn't have the effect that Grunge (which is just slower punk) had in the U.S. The magnitude of the impact was different.

I guess by airplay I meant all the forms of music exposure. Led Zeppelin filled places like Madison Square Garden and the Long Beach Arena. A band that plays similar music that emerged after the grunge explosion sure as hell won't be able to attract a crowd like that these days.

Coldplay will never be classic rock, because they don't play music in that vein. That's not to say there won't be a radio station that calls itself classic rock in 30 years and spins Coldplay, but the term really refers to a set of sonic values (for lack of a better term) that in the States, were made completely unhip in the early 90s. As far as popularity in the UK, it may have been punk in the late 70s, I have no knowledge of how popular it was/is there.

You don't think punk had influence in the U.S.? I would strongly disagree with that. I'd say it was pretty influential on music much more so than grunge which is not just slower punk.

Yes, it was influential, for sure. But it didn't kill off the music that it was rebelling against. There was still plenty of good music throughout the 80s from the States and from the UK. Grunge dealt that deathblow, at least in the States.

So, can someone explain to me how punk and grunge are so different?

Grunge is slower punk?

Pearl Jam fills arenas. Dave Matthews fills arenas. Velvet Revolver and Audioslave filled arenas when they were around.

Coldplay will be played on classic rock stations. The sound of classic rock evolves. Bands like GnR, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam are all on classic rock radio stations.

Yes, it was influential, for sure. But it didn't kill off the music that it was rebelling against. There was still plenty of good music throughout the 80s from the States and from the UK. Grunge dealt that deathblow, at least in the States.

So, can someone explain to me how punk and grunge are so different?

How did grunge kill off music? I'm not following you there. Grunge to me is a mix of hard rock and punk. I think they took elements of each and put it together.

How did grunge kill off music? I'm not following you there. Grunge to me is a mix of hard rock and punk. I think they took elements of each and put it together.

Grunge COMPLETELY rearranged the rock music landscape. It completely changed what was allowed to be played on mainstream radio and TV programs. It didn't kill off music, it killed off (as far as mainstream popularity goes) the basic sonic elements that had been common in popular rock music up to that point, ever since the late 60s.

I'm generalizing here, obviously. There will always be a few exceptions. Pearl Jam's "Alive" sounds like classic rock to me, at least for the second half.

Archived