Adam Lambert American Idol

MightyZep

What a voice this guy has. He needs to tone it down a bit and not over do it as he did during parts of Satisfaction. Has a great shot of winning the whole thing. Certainly the best singer of all the contestants, but the best doesn't always win.

I actually checked out his profile on the official AI site and he said he'd like to tackle some Zeppelin. I don't think the band has ever let any of their songs performed on this show. Am I right? I would like to see Adam sing one of them.

Will be interesting how he approaches a Zep tune if he does sing one. I don't watch the show but I don't think as far as I've heard, anyone has sung one of Zep's songs.

It would be cool of they covered some Zeppelin songs. They haven't done so in any of the seasons since the show started. Once they get into the top 12, they have a theme week and have had a "Beatles" week for about 3 seasons now. A "Led Zeppelin" themed week would be cool!! :D

It would be cool of they covered some Zeppelin songs. They haven't done so in any of the seasons since the show started. Once they get into the top 12, they have a theme week and have had a "Beatles" week for about 3 seasons now. A "Led Zeppelin" themed week would be cool!! :D

:yesnod:

This would show to the rest of America what we already know here on this board. And that is the breadth of variety in Led Zeppelin's catalog and how deep it is.

This would show to the rest of America what we already know here on this board. And that is the breadth of variety in Led Zeppelin's catalog and how deep it is.

Exactly SuperDave! I have always felt that it is such a shame that a good majority of people aren't aware of Led Zeppelin's versatility and depth. If A.I. can get permission to use the songs, then I would be very excited to see what Adam (and Allison) could do. For some reason Babe I'm Gonna Leave You keeps coming to mind... could be great!

Exactly SuperDave! I have always felt that it is such a shame that a good majority of people aren't aware of Led Zeppelin's versatility and depth. If A.I. can get permission to use the songs, then I would be very excited to see what Adam (and Allison) could do. For some reason Babe I'm Gonna Leave You keeps coming to mind... could be great!

I don't think they'd need permission to sing the songs. It's recording them that is a different issue because you have to give the songwriters royalties. But people sing other songs in concert all the time.

I don't think they'd need permission to sing the songs. It's recording them that is a different issue because you have to give the songwriters royalties. But people sing other songs in concert all the time.

I thought singing them at a concert is one thing, but performing them on TV is completely different and is why Zeppelin or Beatles songs are never covered. Then when you record them, royalties definitely have to be paid. But, many people in the past have recorded their own versions of Zep songs before, so I wonder what gives on this?

I thought singing them at a concert is one thing, but performing them on TV is completely different and is why Zeppelin or Beatles songs are never covered. Then when you record them, royalties definitely have to be paid. But, many people in the past have recorded their own versions of Zep songs before, so I wonder what gives on this?

Hmmm - I'm not sure how the tv angle is handled to be honest. I had always assumed that if a song isn't being recorded, there is no need to obtain permission from the artist but I could be wrong with tv.

Hmmm - I'm not sure how the tv angle is handled to be honest. I had always assumed that if a song isn't being recorded, there is no need to obtain permission from the artist but I could be wrong with tv.

Can anyone answer the particulars about this and how such things are handled and possibly why Zeppelin isn't covered on AI?

Can anyone answer the particulars about this and how such things are handled and possibly why Zeppelin isn't covered on AI?

Yes, I can sort of... I do know that when A.I. used the Beatles songs for the first time last year they had to get the rights (I think from Michael Jackson). I don't know how the covering songs at concerts thing works but I do know that Paul McCartney has to pay to sing his own songs (I'm sure you know, Jackson owns the rights). Crazy! I only know this because I heard him say it in an interview. So I guess that A.I. will need to get permission to do Led Zeppelin.

Yes, I can sort of... I do know that when A.I. used the Beatles songs for the first time last year they had to get the rights (I think from Michael Jackson). I don't know how the covering songs at concerts thing works but I do know that Paul McCartney has to pay to sing his own songs (I'm sure you know, Jackson owns the rights). Crazy! I only know this because I heard him say it in an interview. So I guess that A.I. will need to get permission to do Led Zeppelin.

That's interesting. I wonder why it would be like that to just sing songs on tv when it's not the case if a band sings another band's song in concert.

:o Cool? Oh, please no!

Dude, trust me, I know what you're saying. I'm a HUGE Led Zeppelin, White Stripes, Smashing Pumpkins, Beatles fan etc. I just tend to look at it as this: There are no other shows currently showing in America that focus so heavily on music as AI.

Lol, can you imagine someone like Billy Corgan going through Idol?

I'm not against Idol, the format is a fine idea, I just wished they opened up the musical scope a bit, and went for quality over convenience and packaging. Sure a lot of the people on the show are very good singers, but being a good singer is one thing; having something to sing is another. They end up recycling over-used songs that everyone knows to death, and when the winner releases their album, it ends up being full of Dianne Warren B-sides or something, Idol could be something if they worked to make it really something, unfortunately they stop short at just wooing everybody with all the razzle-dazzle.

Lol, can you imagine someone like Billy Corgan going through Idol?

I'm not against Idol, the format is a fine idea, I just wished they opened up the musical scope a bit, and went for quality over convenience and packaging. Sure a lot of the people on the show are very good singers, but being a good singer is one thing; having something to sing is another. They end up recycling over-used songs that everyone knows to death, and when the winner releases their album, it ends up being full of Dianne Warren B-sides or something, Idol could be something if they worked to make it really something, unfortunately they stop short at just wooing everybody with all the razzle-dazzle.

Ha ha no I cannot imagine Billy on American Idol. He would be in the blooper reels. Yes, American Idol has a strong tendency to ignore the potential and quality of the "Billy Corgans". Unfortunately, this will never change because mainstream America votes for the winner and mainstream America rarely ever has good taste. As long as you're aware of that, I say there's nothing wrong with enjoying the show. I watch just hoping that someone "like" a Billy Corgan could have a chance (but of course that won't happen :angry: ) I guess that was what ROCK STAR SUPERNOVA was for. I enjoyed that show, I miss it... a lot actually. Did anyone else watch that show?

A Led-Zeppelin themed week would be dumb because none of the singers fit Zeppelin in any way...

I am a fan of the show, so to me I don't think it's a bad idea. I think Adam Lambert would be able to pull off a Zep song, but that's just my opinion. :D

Why not? Are not an AI fan?

No I'm not a fan. I've seen a couple of performances that I thought were good, but for the most part to me the singing on that show is all about vocal acrobatics. To a lot of people I'm sure that is impressive (and it is, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD, all the time) and entertaining, and that's fine for them. But to me, good singing is about taste, which involves restraint. and that is something most AI singers don't have any concept of. For example Adam Lambert's Satisfaction was god-awful to me, because he was just trying way too hard to throw out every rock-singer cliche trick in the book. Pretty much epitomizes my opinion of the singers on that show.

But that is all my opinion, and as I don't watch the show all too often, I could be dead wrong about everything. :D :D

This is the fourth season we've watched, and I can think of just a few singers during that time frame who could probably have pulled it off and most are women. Chris Daughtry from Season 5, Gina Glocksen (and possibly Melinda Doolittle) from Season 6, David Cook and Amanda Overmyer from Season 7, and Adam and Allison from this season. Although Alexis Grace is pretty bluesy too.

My oldest daughter loves David Cook but doesn't like Zeppelin because they "scream" :blink: Yet David Cook screams in his hit single and that's apparently ok with her. So every time he comes on the radio, when he screams, I give her the raised eyebrow, lol.

No I'm not a fan. I've seen a couple of performances that I thought were good, but for the most part to me the singing on that show is all about vocal acrobatics. To a lot of people I'm sure that is impressive (and it is, but just because you can do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD, all the time) and entertaining, and that's fine for them. But to me, good singing is about taste, which involves restraint. and that is something most AI singers don't have any concept of. For example Adam Lambert's Satisfaction was god-awful to me, because he was just trying way too hard to throw out every rock-singer cliche trick in the book. Pretty much epitomizes my opinion of the singers on that show.

But that is all my opinion, and as I don't watch the show all too often, I could be dead wrong about everything. :D :D

I totally agree with you. :D Some of them can overdo the singing at times, which isn't necessary. I do like those with the "big voices" however, it is nice to have some that just sing beautifully without all of the theatrics. I find it a nice change of pace. Fantasia has been pretty successful in R&B and Gospel. I have seen her on TV a couple of times recently.

oh please...could American Idol get any more plastic?

'Plastic people....oh baby now you're such a drag!'---Frank Zappa

You know once upon a time someone like Ethel Merman could get on Broadway and belt out a ballsy brassy number.

Ethel Merman was pretty hot in her day too.

ethel_merman.jpg

But I totally disagree with you about the show/contestants. I think Daughtry should have won hands down that year. And there's LOTS of others who CAN sing that never made to the top spot.

So far this season I'm rooting for Allison.

B)

Archived