Rolling Stones Thread

icantquityoubabe

I think the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands ever. My favorite album is the live album "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" from 1970 at MSG. Mick Taylor was with them instead of Ron Wood and I have always been in the camp that believes Taylor was the better guitarist. The greatest version ever of Sympathy For the Devil is in here and there are two great lead solo's in the song. Does anyone know which one Mick plays and assume Keith Richards plays the other. I think it is the best guitar the Stones have ever done. The two Chuck Berry songs "Carol" and "Little Queenie" are fabulous as is Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler. Live with me is another good rocker from this live album. I think the must buy albums for someone not familiar with the Stones would be "Hot Rocks" the greatest hits collection. Of course Sticky Fingers would rate as one of the altime best studio albums. And I would put Some Girls on the list too-one with Woody that is great. They have probably overstayed their welcome in many's eys. There is no quit in Jagger is there? Would like to see some opinions by Stones fans out there. Im sure there are many.

I think the Rolling Stones are one of the greatest bands ever. My favorite album is the live album "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" from 1970 at MSG. Mick Taylor was with them instead of Ron Wood and I have always been in the camp that believes Taylor was the better guitarist. The greatest version ever of Sympathy For the Devil is in here and there are two great lead solo's in the song. Does anyone know which one Mick plays and assume Keith Richards plays the other. I think it is the best guitar the Stones have ever done. The two Chuck Berry songs "Carol" and "Little Queenie" are fabulous as is Stray Cat Blues and Midnight Rambler. Live with me is another good rocker from this live album. I think the must buy albums for someone not familiar with the Stones would be "Hot Rocks" the greatest hits collection. Of course Sticky Fingers would rate as one of the altime best studio albums. And I would put Some Girls on the list too-one with Woody that is great. They have probably overstayed their welcome in many's eys. There is no quit in Jagger is there? Would like to see some opinions by Stones fans out there. Im sure there are many.

I love the Stones! "Sticky Fingers" is one of my top ten favorite rock studio albums and "Get Yer Ya Ya's Out" is in my top five favorite live albums. While "Let it Bleed" is not among my favorite albums, "Midnight Rambler" and "Gimme Shelter" are two of my favorite Stones songs. During my Zep years, I was also regularly attending Stones concerts. I love old Keef. No quit in any of them, it seems - and lucky that is for us.

I saw them at the 02 back in August and they were dire. Keef was so out of it it was laughable, even Charlie was off colour, only Mick (for me, usually the villain of the piece) was anywhere near up to scratch.

I haven't bought a new album since Dirty Work in '86, and that was rubbish. So I think of them in the past tense too - 1963 to 74 or thereabouts. Best album? Beggars Banquet or Exile On Main Street

But when they woz good, they woz magic, innit. Would loved to have seen them in the early 70s.

The 'Stones are awesome. One of the best bands ever in my book. My favorite song is 'Gimme Shelter' I just love everything about it. There is a video of them playing it on I think The Ed Sullivan Show and Keith is playing his "see through" guitar. I have over 200 Rolling Stones songs on iTunes and I don't think I've gotten halfway through all their albums yet. :lol: I can see them active for at least a good portion of the next decade anybody agree?

I still love the Stones but I've never seen them play outside of Europe. Saw them this past summer, once in '06 and twice in '03. I also saw Bill Wyman & The Rhythm Kings in 2002. I've had lunch twice at Bill's restaurant in Kensington, Sticky Fingers.

Mick Jagger is a phenomenal front man, and his knowledge of things outside the world of music is rather daunting. When they tour, he oversees everything from what songs will

be played to how many different t-shirts will be produced. Mick Jagger! I tell you what,

that guy is a rock star!

What can you say about Keef? The guy's a rock n roll institution. It's the attitude, baby.

Ronnie always makes me smile. He saved that band from disintegrating. It only took him nearly 25 years to be admitted as a full partner.

Bill Wyman. The epitome of cool. An obsessive diarist and entertaining author. He's done

it all.

Charlie Watts. The Wembley Whammer! I even like his jazz albums.

The last time I saw the Stones in concert was a couple of years ago during the A Bigger Bang Tour. I thought they put on a very good concert. I also enjoyed that record. Was it some sort of career milestone or masterpiece? No, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it as well.

With Mick Taylor...they were absolutely the best live version of the Stones without a doubt. As far as studio output, I like the early Stones with Brian Jones as much as the Taylor era....but in a different way...more of a pop-rock band...than the rocknroll machine of '69-'74. Here's some pictures of the show I saw the Stones at....I have the bootleg too !! :D

Mick Jagger and Keith Richards still hadn't even turned 30 yet ! :lol:

Hawaii January 21, 1973

RS-RU-003.jpg

RS-RU-006.jpgkeith.jpg

RS-RU-004.jpg

With Mick Taylor...they were absolutely the best live version of the Stones without a doubt. As far as studio output, I like the early Stones with Brian Jones as much as the Taylor era....but in a different way...more of a pop-rock band...than the rocknroll machine of '69-'74. Here's some pictures of the show I saw the Stones at....I have the bootleg too !! :D

Hawaii January 21, 1973

RS-RU-003.jpg

RS-RU-006.jpgkeith.jpg

RS-RU-004.jpg

Keith playing an SG!!

Nice!!

I remember when you posted that pic as a birthday gift for me on the old board.

I never did say thanks.....so thanks!! B):beer:

Edited by 59LesPaul

Hawaii January 21, 1973

RS-RU-003.jpg

RS-RU-006.jpgkeith.jpg

RS-RU-004.jpg

wow that's incredible..... Keith still looks like a human being :lol: .... and like 59lespaul said, he's playing an SG.... and a white one at that!! :thumbsup:

Here's a review of the show pictured above.......it's pretty good....

starbulletin_review.jpg

click on it and magnify....

you'll see that the sound level reached 125db....and someone was talking the other day that loud nowadays is 100db.....HA !! Shows used to be SO MUCH LOUDER back then !!

They're just too safe now...

My seats were on the first row of the side mezzanine about 60 feet from the stage...

Cost....$6.75 !!! Same seat now would fetch $350-$450.....

Edited by Joelmon

you'll see that the sound level reached 125db....and someone was talking the other day that loud nowadays is 100db.....HA !! Shows used to be SO MUCH LOUDER back then !!

They're just too safe now...

To each their own but I actually prefer to keep my hearing so it doesn't have to be ear splittingly loud for me to enjoy it. It would suck horribly to lose my hearing, then I wouldn't be able to enjoy music at all. In that regard I think it's a very good thing that shows aren't as loud as they used to be.

I think it means when a band doesn`t stay true to its roots and tries to curry to listener`s evolving tastes.

Some would also say it means compromising one's principles by allowing their songs to be used in television commercials and other money making ventures. I say the idea of "selling out" is ludicrous and cliched at best but that's not to say some artists aren't guilty of it. Some even get away with it with their diginity intact.

Then "selling out" is a matter of opinion or best left undefined.

Perhaps a million bucks will buy a lot of dignity. B)

I think Dylan is a fine example of someone that meets the criteria of "selling out", a least as far as television commercials are concerned but he emerged with his dignity intact. Or more accurately, he just doesn't give a shit what people think.

Then, on the other hand you have Neil Young and R.E.M., both of whom refuse to allow their songs to be used in commercials and have so far been successful at that.

But nobody has answered the question about Mick Taylor. I think he is better than Woods. They are not a force anymore like they were decades ago. But you cant ever take away the work they did back then. Just like you cant take away what Chuck Berry, Buddy Holly, did either. They set their mark in rock n roll history. What they do now is not even worth mention. Its what they did in the past that counts.

I've been waiting for this opening... :lol:

The Stones arguably had their creative peak during the Jones era, songwriting-wise. Again, I say ARGUABLY. But the Mick Taylor era was by FAR their best period musically. Taylor added a slick but powerful counterpoint to Keith's MONSTER riffs. Back in those days it was a two guitar band. Taylor could play licks with speed and grace. He is my favorite lead guitarist, right behind Jimmy.

I saw the Stones in 1972, with Taylor on board. Holy SHIT, the band was smokin'!

Saw them again three years later, with Woody. Oh, the band was still great then, Keith had to step up to fill the void somewhat. But it was never the same. Woody is the reason the Stones got through a lot of shit, I'll have to credit him for that. Genuinely great guy, Woody. But as a guitarist? Ehhh.

This "ancient form of weaving" Keef describes is two rhythm guitarists pounding out a riff. That works fine for some songs, but the Stones were far better off with Taylor's phenomenal leads.

Speaking of guitar interplay-here's some thoughts.

"Bitch". "Can't You Hear Me Knocking". "All Down The Line". "Midnight Rambler" & "Gimme Shelter" live from the 1972-73 tours.

Now THAT'S weaving, baby. B)