Jimmy and John Pauls Session work

the-ocean87

Dusty Springfield - Jones played bass and did some arrangements for her "Dusty...Definitely" album, including a version of "Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart" that pre-dates the famous Janis Joplin version. JPJ also backed Dusty on her 1968 "Talk Of The Town" concerts.

Cat Stevens - Jones probably played on many of Stevens' songs in 1966-67. Two confirmed tracks with JPJ on bass are "I Love My Dog" and "The First Cut Is The Deepest".

There were probably 20,000-30,000 songs recorded in England between 1960-65. It's simply not physically possible for Jimmy to have played on 66% of them, let alone 50%.

I suppose if you do a calculation of 3 sessions a day with 2 songs per session, 5 days a week is 30 songs per week, 40 weeks a year is 1200 songs per year, 5 years is 6000 songs. That would be an absolute top-end calculation though, it's likely to be much less than that.

"Sunshine Superman" - Donovan has credited Page with the solo, but JPJ once stated that Jimmy played rhythm guitar on the song. The solo may have been Jim Sullivan or Eric Ford.

"It's Not Unusual" - most sources credit Jim Sullivan with the solo. But Sullivan says that Joe Moretti played the solo while he played rhythm. I'm not certain if Jimmy even played on the song, but if he did it was just in a rhythm capacity.

I am quite sure that Jimmy did the solo in Hurdy Gurdy Man.

edit: i'm a dumbass. Here is a quote by Jimmy...Jeff Beck according to Page did play on one version which was wiped. Jimmy Page has said, "I know it's rumored that I played on that, but I didn't - and the most bizarre part about this whole story I heard about this story actually when I was in USA, it was about the time we were talking about the deal with Led Zeppelin. We were at Miami with Jerry Wexler. And I heard about the story by there and then, across from England, and on the shores over here. And what the story was - and it's very true. That they had Jeff Beck go in, and Jeff Beck played on it, and the producer decided to wipe the track. And Donovan had asked for me to do it, but of course I wasn't there. And they had a guitarist, he basically filled, you know. He went into the session - and I wouldn't say filled my shoes - but he went in the door, and his name was Alan Parker. I mean, none of you even know of him. It's not the film producer. But anyway, he's the guy who played the guitar solo, so you know, as you say, some people might have thought Beck did it, or me, but it was neither of us. But I think it was tragic that Beck got wiped off. That was absolutely crazy. They just decided that they didn't like what he did. And I mean, perish the thought, you know."

I had thought that Donovan said in an interview that Jimmy played lead in that song(and quite frankly, it does sound a bit like him) but i guess not.

I suppose if you do a calculation of 3 sessions a day with 2 songs per session, 5 days a week is 30 songs per week, 40 weeks a year is 1200 songs per year, 5 years is 6000 songs. That would be an absolute top-end calculation though, it's likely to be much less than that.

Perhaps, but I think your estimation of 40 weeks per year is pretty low. And 2 songs per session was the minimum -- it wasn't uncommon to record an entire album in a single 3-hour session.

It's difficult to assign "averages" to Jimmy's output, because his output varied as his career progressed. When he first started doing sessions (late 1962), he was only doing one or two sessions a month. But by early 1964 he was doing 10-15 per week. Then in mid-1965 he scaled back (to work for Andrew Oldham), and he scaled back even more in the spring of 1966 (when he was getting fed up with session work).

I suppose if we are accepting that there were 20-30,000 recorded 1960-65, and we are saying that an estimate of 6,000 Page played on is resonable, could be a little more, could be a little less, it is an astonishing figure. It's certainly possible that he was playing on 30% of all songs recorded during that time period. That is quite amazing.

Perhaps, but I think your estimation of 40 weeks per year is pretty low. And 2 songs per session was the minimum -- it wasn't uncommon to record an entire album in a single 3-hour session.

It's difficult to assign "averages" to Jimmy's output, because his output varied as his career progressed. When he first started doing sessions (late 1962), he was only doing one or two sessions a month. But by early 1964 he was doing 10-15 per week. Then in mid-1965 he scaled back (to work for Andrew Oldham), and he scaled back even more in the spring of 1966 (when he was getting fed up with session work).

When Jimmy joined the Yardbirds in 1966, he didn't stop doing Sessions. But he stopped playing as full-time session player. In 1968 he played on Cockers "With a little help from my friends" I often wonder that he got the time to play sessions between 1967 and 1969 because the Yardbirds toured much this time.

JPJ often did only the arrangements for artists he worked with. He didn't play on every of this recordings that he arranged. I believe he was more a arranger than a session-player (in the later years of his session period)

Dusty Springfield - Jones played bass and did some arrangements for her "Dusty...Definitely" album, including a version of "Take Another Little Piece Of My Heart" that pre-dates the famous Janis Joplin version. JPJ also backed Dusty on her 1968 "Talk Of The Town" concerts.

Cat Stevens - Jones probably played on many of Stevens' songs in 1966-67. Two confirmed tracks with JPJ on bass are "I Love My Dog" and "The First Cut Is The Deepest".

Thanks for your detailed reply!

I think "The First Cut Is The Deepest" is one of Stevens most popular songs. Didn't know that Jonesy played on that song. I've to listen it again.

So what else do we know about Page's sessions? And what about the CD- gues-appearances beetween 1980 and 2006 ??

hey, this is a good point, perhaps there may be some undiscovered stuff out there, as i remember reading about him playing on a early 80's Steven Stills record(?), as well as the Box Of Frogs album or albums...

Box of Frogs

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Box of Frogs

Origin London, England

Genre(s) Rock

Blues Rock

Years active 1983 – 1986

Label(s) Epic Records

Associated acts The Yardbirds

Members

Chris Dreja

Paul Samwell-Smith

Jim McCarty

John Fiddler

Box of Frogs was a band formed in 1983 by former members of The Yardbirds. who released an album in 1984. The core group comprised Chris Dreja, Paul Samwell-Smith, and Jim McCarty. Vocals on their eponymous album were done by John Fiddler. Many musicians guested on their albums (including Rory Gallagher), with several tracks featuring Yardbirds guitarist Jeff Beck, while Jimmy Page, another former Yardbirds member, guested on their 1986 followup album, Strange Land.

STEPHEN STILLS "ALBUM" STEPHEN STILLS / Right By You

Producer(s): Ron Albert, Howard Albert, Stephen Stills

Atlantic 80177

POP Originally reviewed for week ending 8/12/84

The early '80s rebound of Crosby, Stills & Nash is mirrored in this new Stills

solo work, which hews closer to the trio's own records than the guitarist,

songwriter and singer's uneven '70s outings. Graham Nash, Mike Finnigan,

Jimmy Page and other rock veterans are on hand to back Stills' most consistent

yet varied performances in some time, which should enhance its potential for

softer rock and pop fans.

Right By You

38 Minutes 34 Seconds, Atlantic, 1984

Performer: Stills, Stephen

Guest Artist: Graham Nash / Jimmy Page

Engineer: Ron Albert / Howard Albert

01. 50/50

02. Stranger

03. Flaming Heart

04. Love Again

05. No Problem

06. Can't Let Go

07. Grey To Green

08. Only Love Can Break Your Heart

09. No Hiding Place

10. Right By You

THE PLAYERS:

Stephen Stills: |Vocals, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Keyboards, Percussion

Bernie Leadon: Guitar, vocals

Jimmy Page: Guitar

Chris Hillman: Mandolin, Vocals

Tony Concepcion, Al Degooyer: Trumpet

George Cricker: Trombone

Mike Finnigan: Keyboards, Vocals

Kim Bullard, Lawrence Dermer: Keyboards

Gerry Scheff, George "Chocolate" Perry: Bass

Joe Galdo, Joe Lala: Drums, Percussion

Graham Nash, John Sambatoro, Herb Pederson: Background Vocals

Producers: Stephen Stills, Ron Albert, Howard Albert, Steve Alaimo.

Art Direction: Larry "Rocky" Williams

Cover Design & Original Painting: Larry Williams and Alton Kelly

This work is dedicated in fond memory of Felix Pappalardi, Marvin Gaye, Dennis Wilson, and JC Agajanian.

hey, this is a good point, perhaps there may be some undiscovered stuff out there, as i remember reading about him playing on a early 80's Steven Stills record(?), as well as the Box Of Frogs album or albums...

SteveAJ would probably be best to ask about this - I know that Page played on the Jerry Lee Lewis album recently. Of course there was Death Wish 2.

I once worked out a list. This what i found out:

1982 Roy Harper -Work of Heart

1982 Soundtrack- Death Wish II (Soundtrack)

1984 The Honeydrippers -The Honeydrippers: Vol. I

1985 The Firm -The Firm

1985 Soundtrack Scream for Help (Soundtrack)

1985 Willie And The Poor Boys -Willie And The Poor Boys

1985 Soundtrack Death Wish III (Soundtrack)

1985 Roy Harper -Whatever happened to Jugula?

1985 Stephen -Stills Right by You

1986 The Firm- Mean Business

1986 The Rolling Stones -Dirty Work

1986 Box of Frogs -Strange Land

1986 Roy Harper- In between Every Line (live)

1988 Robert Plant -Now and Zen

1998 Jimmy Rogers -All-Stars Blues Blues Blues (??? )

2000 Jimmy Page & The Black Crowes Live at the Greek

2006 Jerry Lee Lewis Last Man Standing

Without P&P, Coverdale & Page and Outrider. SteveAJones please correct me if something is wrong.

• 2 weeks later...
Hmm..... no more replies on the topic.

Does somebody know whether jimmy played bass on any recording? I know he played bass on his first Yardbirds gigs.

I'm sure that he did although nothing springs to mind (aside from his solo single, where he reportedly played guitar, bass & keyboards).

I do know of one session where Jimmy was hired to play rhythm guitar.....with John Paul Jones playing lead guitar!

I'm sure that he did although nothing springs to mind (aside from his solo single, where he reportedly played guitar, bass & keyboards).

I do know of one session where Jimmy was hired to play rhythm guitar.....with John Paul Jones playing lead guitar!

Very interesting. Like to hear that recording. Jones is a real good musican. Nowdays he maybe plays the guitar better than Jimmy although he said, Jimmy is an "one man guitar army".

Page and Plant recorded one song "My Bucket's Got A Hole In It" for the Sun Sessions project (2001) a few years ago, too.

There's a dvd out with them on it in the studio and interview, called "Good Rockin' Tonight"

http://www.amazon.com/Good-Rockin-Tonight-...s/dp/B00006IUIQ

Also, Page did session work "Come With Me" (Kashmir) for Puff Daddy/ Diddy in 1998.

R B)

• 1 month later...

Hello again.

Does anybody know on which songs on"The Family Doggs" album "A way of life" the members of Led Zeppelin appear?? I know that Jimmy, JPJ and Bonzo played on that album. But i don't know the titles.

Hello again.

Does anybody know on which songs on"The Family Doggs" album "A way of life" the members of Led Zeppelin appear?? I know that Jimmy, JPJ and Bonzo played on that album. But i don't know the titles.

scott swanson is an expert to consult on this.

calling swandown....

Here is what is known for sure: John Paul Jones is credited as arranger for 3 of the album's songs: "You Were On My Mind", "Today I Killed A Man I Didn't Know", and "Reflections (Of Your Face)". (It's no coincidence that P.J. Proby also recorded the latter 2 songs, as Steve Rowland produced both sessions).

I would speculate that Page and/or Bonham also played on those same 3 songs, but none of the songs feature guitar solos or Bonzo-esque drumming.

Also, JPJ is the only bassist credited on the album, and Page is the only person specifically credited for electric guitar. So I guess it's possible that Jones played all the bass parts and Page played all the electric guitar parts. But I doubt it.

The album credits:

Steve Rowland: vocals, drums, percussion/congas, producer

Albert Hammond: vocals, 12-string & acoustic guitar

Mike Hazlewood: vocals, acoustic guitar

Doreen DeVeuve:: vocals

Pam "Zooey" Quinn: vocals

Christine Holmes: vocals (she replaced DeVeuve midway through the sessions)

---------

John Paul Jones: bass + arranger for 3 tracks

Jimmy Page: electric guitar

Alan Hawkshaw: piano & organ

John Bonham: drums

Clem Cattini: drums

Alan Parker: guitars

Stan Barrett & Denis Lopez: percussion

Jim Sullivan: arranger for 2 tracks (also probably played guitar)

Phil Dennys: arranger for 6 tracks

Ken Woodman: arranger for 1 track

Reg Tilsley: arranger for 1 track

• 1 month later...
Here is a rare audio recording from Jimmy with "The Pickwicks" from 1964.

http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=UD6VWs2qtYg

Guitarist was Harry Friar, not Jimmy Page. Did you actually watch the vid? It says so in big bold type.

Sorry, I get excited too.

Steve, I'm tired. Could you take over please. Hell, I might be wrong! :lol:

Excerpt from an interview with John Paul Jones wherein he settles once and for all who played what on the session for Donovan's 'Hurdy Gurdy Man':

20020317JAMShowbiz.jpg

www.canoe.ca JAM! Showbiz March 17th 2002

Steve, thanks. I often asked myself whether he played on "Hurdy Gurdy Man" or not.

This is from WikiAnswers:

Did Jimmy Page play on Donovans Hurdy Gurdy Man?

Answer

Not on the title track, but he did play acoustic during the early album sessions.

The Hurdy Gurdy Man album sessions were done mainly in two parts, the first part in late 1967, the second sessions where done in April 1968. It was during the April 1968 sessions that the actual track 'Hurdy Gurdy Man' was recorded. Jimmy Page was not in the country at the time of the April 1968 session. Page had only been playing acoustic in his session work at the time.

Steve Rosen interview with Jimmy Page

SR You were playing acoustic guitar during your session period?

JP Yes, I had to do it on studio work. And you come to grips with it very quickly too, very quickly, because it's what is expected. There was a lot of busking (singing on street corners) in the earlier days, but as they say, I had to come to grips with it, and it was a good schooling.

Donovan stated that he wanted Jimi Hendrix to play but he was unavailable, so he asked for Jimmy Page instead but he was in the US with Jerry Wrexler .Mickie Most got Jeff Beck to do the electric guitar work which was wiped by Most. Finally Alan Parker was drafted in to do the electric guitar work.

http://www.zepagain.com/page_rosen.html

Regarding the title track those involved are listed below.

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN

I have been contacted by Clem Cattini with regard to Donovan's Hurdy Gurdy Man

I would like to confirm that the musicians on the record were as follows

Donovan Accoustic Guitar

John Paul Jones Arrangement/Musical Director and Bass Guitar

Alan Parker Lead (electric) Guitar

Clem Cattini Drums

No other musicians were involved in this session

The session was produced by Mickie Most and engineered by Eddie Kramer.

John Paul Jones

London 05/2005

http://www.coda-uk.co.uk/clem_cattini.htm

Page may have played on several songs by Donovan such as "Sunshine

Superman" although the long held belief that Jimmy played on

"Hurdy Gurdy Man" has been questioned recently, with the

contention that it is in fact Allan Holdsworth, and not Page.

Jones on the other hand, who most certainly did work on the track

says it was Alan Parker. Donovan in a radio interview in 1988 on

KCRW in Santa Monica, said that it was Holdsworth not Page, as

they tried to get Page but he was unavailable, and tried out a new

young guy, Holdsworth, instead. An answer to this perplexing

question that could be seen as definitive came from Allan's wife

Claire, when she was asked this by a member of the Allan

Holdsworth mailing list. The response she gave was (included

without permission), "Allan is bemused by the number of people,

including Donovan, who have said that he played on that song -

because he didn't!! He thinks it might have been Ollie Halsell

but he is dead now so I guess we can't ask him." Page, who denies

playing on it claimed in a 1977 interview that it was Alan Parker.

To confuse matters further, in the liner notes for Donovan's

"Trouabdour" box set it claims Page played on the

trackhttp://www.oldbuckeye.com/ifmtl2.html

Beck originally played on Donovan's "Hurdy Gurdy Man" but instead they used Alan Parker on the final version

More about "Hurdy Gurdy Man" can be found here: http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=1097

among other things a quote from Jimmy.

But Steve, what about "The Pickwicks". Did he play on the record? The recording can also be found on "Session Man 2".

Archived