Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
osoz

So is Jimmy Page a 'sloppy' player?

Ok, I am gonna confess to some serious shit here, after all, PageNotSLOPPY has blown the lid off of what is perhaps one of my greatest regrets:

You see, it all started in 75', during the Chicago gig's that year. Jimmy corn-holed my cousin Nancy of whom I looked upon as an angel sent from heaven. I could not, would not let this insult pass, thus, beginning in 1977 I began to sneak backstage before the gigs and spike Jimmy's drinks with dope. Jimmy in actuality never imbibed in drugs, it was me the whole time dosing the carousing guitarists...he had no idea. Oh, and I also messed with his amp settings in a manner that no one could adjust after I did so (I used super-glue on the knobs).

I call 1977 to 1980 my "Stewie" phase as a result.

So in retrospect I deeply apologize to Jimmy Page, Led Zeppelin, and the whole LZ community of fans for my outrageous behavior during those dark years. I am not proud of my actions, I am deeply ashamed.

Then again, Jimmy should not have jammed it in my cousin's monkey-eye! Bastard!!!

Edited by IpMan

Page wasn't sloppy until '75 or so and especially '77 and later during live performances. Around 1973 was probably his peak. Plant's peak as a live singer was around 1968-71. The early 70s was a great time to see them live.

Jimmy takes risks by playing on the edge but it adds to the excitement. It's so good when compared to Eric Clapton's technical prowess. The later lacks any spontaneity & quickly becomes same old!

Edited by Mattius

There's no question that Jimmy Page had more "sloppy" moments than his musical peers. That's been covered a thousand times, but it's justifiable;

On one hand Page had to be sloppy to accommodate his style of songwriting- tight but loose. He was trying to incorporate multiple genres into every set list and improvising extended solos and breakdowns on every other song. That's very hard to do while also trying to maintain a high energy performance by dancing around like a madman. It should also be noted that he did all this very well with very little sloppiness for 6 years straight. It wasn't until the booze worked it's way into the live performance that he started to actually play poorly. Even then he still managed to play most of the rhythm parts fine, only getting sloppy on the improvised leads. I think when you look at the amount of weight he had on his shoulders leading the biggest rock act in the world, a little sloppiness can be excused.