3/21/75 Seattle -- Soundboard vs. Matrix

Bonzo_fan

Hello Forum Friends,

I'm looking ahead to Wednesday (3/21--my favourite day on the Zepp calendar) and trying to maximize my 3/21/75 listening experience.  I've listened to the straight soundboard several times since it came out in August, but have only listened to "Dazed And Confused" on the matrix so far.  I find that Dazed sounds better on the matrix, but after listening to bits of both "Rock And Roll" & "Sick Again" from both sources just now, I'm not sure which one is better.

What do those of you who have listened to both think?

The EVSD-matrix - "Night Of The Long Knives" (extra with "Snow Blind PROMO" -copy)Afbeelding1.jpg.7903e20a5685f011c2e4b5b2626472f1.jpg - is just over 1 minute longer than Eat A Peach matrix - "The Hammer Of The Gods"Afbeelding2.jpg.ab51eddd47e2ea69e69e479abfcd6bae.jpg

Besides the obvious difference between track length due to earlier/later starting or ending, the real difference is the time after the closing track "Heartbreaker".

After the show there's about one minute "Plantations": where EAP stops about 27 sec after "...heart-, heart-, heart-...), EVSD continues for another minute where we can Robert talk to the audience: "...you've been fantastic. Seattle, goodnight! For .... One of the, one of the most timid men in show business leaving the stage now. John Paul Jones!..." Just look here:

5aae72a4e0b3e_EAPvsEVSD.jpeg.a700e44a50b113eae3be51b68e64aa20.jpeg

Edited by Moby_Dick_Ale

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  I decided to go with the matrix today, and I think it was a good call overall.  The increased volume and liveliness of Jimmy's guitar, coupled with the extra atmosphere, made up for the slight loss of detail in the drums.  I was disappointed that it continued to mix in the audience source when it drops to the inferior source halfway through Stairway; I think the pure SBD sounds better than the matrix with the inferior audience recording.  Was hoping the inferior AUD would only be used for the missing Plantations on the SBD, but it wasn't a big deal--just flipped between the matrix and Deus Ex Machina a bit during the encores.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Hi all....bumping this up as i could do with some advice. I have the Custard Pie matrix. It's a great effort....but some of the time differences/mismatch/delay between the audience and soundboard sources are starting to grate on me. Question is - is there a better matrix out there? If not...could you let me know what the best soundboard source is...preferably one that patches any gaps with the audience source. Thanks.  

47 minutes ago, Xolo1974 said:

Hi all....bumping this up as i could do with some advice. I have the Custard Pie matrix. It's a great effort....but some of the time differences/mismatch/delay between the audience and soundboard sources are starting to grate on me. Question is - is there a better matrix out there? If not...could you let me know what the best soundboard source is...preferably one that patches any gaps with the audience source. Thanks.  

Isn't Custard Pie 3.24.73 Offenburg?

Strider,

like you, I know of Custard Pie being the old boot lp’s. Now, if there was a matrix of THAT with a soundboard source, I’d probably faint while listening to it, lol

There is a matrix out there the refers to a user ‘Custard Pie’. It’s good, but does drift a teeny bit in sync. A hell of an effort, though

4 hours ago, Xolo1974 said:

Sorry, apparently it's the 'CuztardPi' matrix.

I haven't seen another matrix for this. The SBD is incredible though. Were there ever better SBD's than '75?

Edited by rm2551