Celebration Day live

badgeholder

Yes he does, some really great really fast playing, holding it all down, I recommend seeking out the 71 versions, the Toronto soundboards and Hiroshima 27/09/71 are recommended ones, my fave all time though, is the Osaka 9/29 version.

Yes he does, some really great really fast playing, holding it all down, I recommend seeking out the 71 versions, the Toronto soundboards and Hiroshima 27/09/71 are recommended ones, my fave all time though, is the Osaka 9/29 version.

I personally feel 73 was a much better year for that song.

1971 live Celebration Day is a brutally powerful Zep rhythm section. As mentioned, the performance from Toronto 9/4/71 is among their best-ever version.

To me, the very best version of Stairway as well on that Toronto '71 soundboard.

1971 live Celebration Day is a brutally powerful Zep rhythm section. As mentioned, the performance from Toronto 9/4/71 is among their best-ever version.

I agree wholeheartedly. The Toronto version is a masterpiece. Robert sings it better than he ever did live, as well.

It's the best and tightest version I've heard. As Sam said, the rhythm section is unreal. Listen to Bonzo and Jones from start to finish. They're on fire B)

Ive not been happy with any of the quality of the Japan shows I've gotten. Ive struggled with many sources.

Can anyone say what the best sources for the Japan shows are?

23/09= 7th source, incomplete though, so fill the gaps with the 5th source

24/09= "Light and Shade"

27/09= Hard to determine

28/09= "Osaka Woman"

29/09= IMO Wendy's release

Hmmm, the only 1971 Japan show I have is the 9.29 Osaka..."You were there in

spirits" ffrom EVSD.

But more to the point, yes I LOVE CELEBRATION DAY and so dearly wish

they had played it more often. In fact, badgeholder you beat me to the punch.

I was recently listening to some of the 1971 shows I had(Hampton, Osaka, Orlando)

and every time I am just floored by the slamming groove Jonesy and Bonzo lay

down for this song on the 1971 tour.

But even though they changed the rhythm a bit for the 1973 tour, it's still a great

song to hear in concert.

Whenever I went to a Zep concert, Celebration Day was always on my list of songs

I wanted to hear that night.

First year seeing them in 1972, got no CB. But what a treat to see them do it at the

1973 shows. Wish they would have kept it for 75 and 77...would have gladly traded

Black Dog for more Celebration Day.

I told this story on the old board, but since there are new members here I'll briefly

rehash:

From the time I became a Zeppelin fan in 1969 I had dreams of seeing them in concert.

Problem was I was very young and for most of the early tours, Zeppelin always seemed

to play Los Angeles during the school year.

But when the 1971 tour was announced, I couldn't believe my luck: the LA shows

were in August...no school nights to worry about!

Unfortunately, there was one problem: my parents said I had to wait until I was 10

before they would let me go to a rock concert. In August '71 I was merely 9.

They said I was too young to be exposed to loud noise and questionable people, lol!

So I had to wait until the next tour in 1972 to finally see Zeppelin.

But now, whenever I listen to the 1971 shows and those killer versions of Celebration

Day(played on the double-neck) I get steamed at how I was robbed at being able

to witness those 71 Forum shows in person by one measly year.

As Maxwell Smart would say: "Missed it by THAT much."

• 2 weeks later...

Archived