Songs, band or artists you're afraid to admit you like

danelectro59

When I passed by two street musicians (a drummer and guitarist) on Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, in February they played a melody that I recongnised. But I couldn't come up with the title, cause they did an instrumental version. I thought it sounded like a Beatles tune, a really great 60's pop song. Still couldn't figure out what it was, but it was a damn great version. When I had passed them it struck me, it's not Beatles, it's fuckin Mamma Mia by ABBA! I was shocked that I liked it so much. :D Must have been the instrumetation that did it. The guy on drums had a real jazzy feeling while the guitarist sounded like George Harrison or David Crosby from The Byrds.

Did you toss some change in the hat and have a chat with them. I have met a couple of street musicians from America over here and we usually end up going for a beer or two at a local pub. Very interesting people....street musicians.

Did you toss some change in the hat and have a chat with them. I have met a couple of street musicians from America over here and we usually end up going for a beer or two at a local pub. Very interesting people....street musicians.

I didn't do it then, but I have since. I have not chatted with them though. I see them around quite often. :D

barry manilow...

:bagoverhead:

You're not alone ;)

Barry Manilow (born June 17, 1943)[1] is an American singer-songwriter, musician, arranger, producer and conductor, best known for such recordings as "I Write the Songs", "Mandy", "Weekend in New England" and "Copacabana".

Manilow's achievements include sales of more than 76 million records worldwide. In 1978, five of his albums were on the best-selling charts simultaneously, a feat equalled only by Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson and Johnny Mathis. He has recorded a string of Billboard hit singles and multi-platinum albums that have resulted in his being named Radio & Records number one Adult Contemporary artist and winning three straight American Music Awards for Favourite Pop/Rock Male Artist. Several well-known entertainers have given Manilow their "stamp of approval," including Sinatra, who was quoted in the 1970s regarding Manilow, "He's next." In 1988, Bob Dylan stopped Manilow at a party, hugged him and said, "Don't stop what you're doing, man. We're all inspired by you." Arsenio Hall cited Manilow as a favourite guest on The Arsenio Hall Show and admonished his audience to respect him for his work.[2]

As well as producing and arranging albums for other artists, such as Bette Midler, Dionne Warwick and Rosemary Clooney, Manilow has written songs for musicals, films, and commercials.

Since February 2005, he has been the headliner at the Las Vegas Hilton, and has performed hundreds of shows since.

Manilow's achievements include sales of more than 76 million records worldwide.

Well, my dad used to say, "just because flies eat crap doesn't mean it's ok". :blink::D How's that for an analogy? ;):D

Well, my dad used to say, "just because flies eat crap doesn't mean it's ok". :blink::D How's that for an analogy? ;):D

Didn't say "I" was a big fan but he does have a couple songs I like ;)

FWIW I'd take those 76 mil pieces of crap into my bank account right now :P that would be ok!

You're not alone ;)

Barry Manilow (born June 17, 1943)[1] is an American singer-songwriter, musician, arranger, producer and conductor, best known for such recordings as "I Write the Songs", "Mandy", "Weekend in New England" and "Copacabana".

Manilow's achievements include sales of more than 76 million records worldwide. In 1978, five of his albums were on the best-selling charts simultaneously, a feat equalled only by Frank Sinatra, Michael Jackson and Johnny Mathis. He has recorded a string of Billboard hit singles and multi-platinum albums that have resulted in his being named Radio & Records number one Adult Contemporary artist and winning three straight American Music Awards for Favourite Pop/Rock Male Artist. Several well-known entertainers have given Manilow their "stamp of approval," including Sinatra, who was quoted in the 1970s regarding Manilow, "He's next." In 1988, Bob Dylan stopped Manilow at a party, hugged him and said, "Don't stop what you're doing, man. We're all inspired by you." Arsenio Hall cited Manilow as a favourite guest on The Arsenio Hall Show and admonished his audience to respect him for his work.[2]

As well as producing and arranging albums for other artists, such as Bette Midler, Dionne Warwick and Rosemary Clooney, Manilow has written songs for musicals, films, and commercials.

Since February 2005, he has been the headliner at the Las Vegas Hilton, and has performed hundreds of shows since.

How's it going "Dzldoc?" I like BARRY MANILOW! MANILOW recorded some great songs in the 1970's and 1980's. My favorite song is "I Write The Songs' because my friend Bruce Johnston of THE BEACH BOYS wrote it. I even liked THE CAPTAIN & TENNILLE because I know Toni Tennille & Daryl Dragon. I better get my ass back to work. ROCK ON!

The sound quality on this leaves a lot to be desired (as do most YouTube clips, particularly audience-shot live ones) but here's the Yayhoos doing their rock n' roll cover of ABBA's Dancing Queen. A better sounding version can be found on their debut record, Fear Not the Obvious. I love the comment below the clip on the YouTube page, "The Yayhoos doing a great version of "Dancing Queen" aka "The Scandinavian Louie Louie"!"

The Yayhoos are Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites), Keith Christopher (Shaver, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band), Eric "Roscoe" Ambel (Joan Jett's Blackhearts, the Del-Lords, Steve Earle's Dukes) and Terry Anderson (Fabulous Knobs, the Woods, the Backsliders, the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team and author of Battleship Chains, I Love You Period, etc.). For those interested, there's a great article on them here.

Jefferson Starship had a much different sound than Jefferson Airplane, although they retained four Airplane members for much of their work. I like the selections on the Gold album, too - "Ride the Tiger" is very awesome! What happened when they morphed into simply Starship was a disgrace, though...

I don't mind some of Jefferson Starship's songs but I agree when they became Starship, I completely lost interest. Still I'm partial to the Airplane.

....I cant think of anyone. Im happy to say any band I like, Im not embarrassed by any..

Same here. I like alot of the 60's-Motown, British Invasion; 70's music: lite rock AM stuff; disco, alot of the 80's music including hair metal, some of the teen pop, also not to mention many of the one-hit wonders over the years. :D

Hey, I love that song! I liked Jefferson Airplane/Starship. I thought alot of their songs were great: Runaway, Count On Me, Miracles, Jane, Sara, Be My Lady, For Your Love........

Same here. I like alot of the 60's-Motown, British Invasion; 70's music: lite rock AM stuff; disco, alot of the 80's music including hair metal, some of the teen pop, also not to mention many of the one-hit wonders over the years. :D

Hey, I love that song! I liked Jefferson Airplane/Starship. I thought alot of their songs were great: Runaway, Count On Me, Miracles, Jane, Sara, Be My Lady, For Your Love........

NONE of those songs were by the Airplane.

I'm embarrassed for anyone who likes Disco. It sucks!

I LOVE Motown and the British Invasion eras!!! Fantastic stuff as well as the 70s music and I'm not ashamed to say I like some disco :D 80s hair metal though I will have to take a pass on ;)

NONE of those songs were by the Airplane.

I'm embarrassed for anyone who likes Disco. It sucks!

You're right on that. There seems to be alot of confusion about the various stages of this particular subject. Jefferson Airplane was a blues based pyschedelic group, Jefferson Starship was a polished hit machine, Starship was that which should not be.

As far as disco, there were abominations - but I can appreciate stuff by groups like KC and the Sunshine Band and The Bee Gees. Our wedding band played some disco songs, and we have people on video chanting " Disco Sucks"! - even though they danced to it. It makes for good laughs, now....

I've seen Skinny Puppy in concert. Can't say I'm a big fan of theirs but I can understand how some are drawn to their sound.

Oh i'm so jealous! When and where did you see them? After Dwayne Goettel died i know they broke up for a while. I haven't followed Skinny Puppy since the late 90's, but i have all their albums before Dwayne's death (i think there are 12 of them)... I know they are surely out the ordinary, but i found when i learned the lyrics to the songs, i could appreciate the songs along with the music! If you don't know the lyrics it mostly sounds like noise. :) The two Kevins (Ogilvie and Cey) are rare talents... and Ogilvie is hot, too (Trent Reznor fans, this dude was at it first)!.... for anyone who wants to expand their musical journey :)

For anyone who might take a look at their music... one main theme that can be found is their passion for "animal rights"

skinnypuppy_1.jpg

bs-ogre.JPG

Oh i'm so jealous! When and where did you see them? After Dwayne Goettel died i know they broke up for a while. I haven't followed Skinny Puppy since the late 90's, but i have all their albums before Dwayne's death (i think there are 12 of them)... I know they are surely out the ordinary, but i found when i learned the lyrics to the songs, i could appreciate the songs along with the music! If you don't know the lyrics it mostly sounds like noise. :) The two Kevins (Ogilvie and Cey) are rare talents... and Ogilvie is hot, too (Trent Reznor fans, this dude was at it first)!.... for anyone who wants to expand their musical journey :)

For anyone who might take a look at their music... one main theme that can be found is their passion for "animal rights"

skinnypuppy_1.jpg

bs-ogre.JPG

I saw them in the early 90s. I didn't know Dwayne died. Ogre was a nice guy but very plagued with drug addiction at the time. Their live show was pretty disturbing. He's very pro animal rights as you mentioned and acts out this whole anti-vivisection during the show. I just never got into that sound either too much.

I saw them in the early 90s. I didn't know Dwayne died. Ogre was a nice guy but very plagued with drug addiction at the time. Their live show was pretty disturbing. He's very pro animal rights as you mentioned and acts out this whole anti-vivisection during the show. I just never got into that sound either too much.

I have a few concert videos (from way back), so i have seen what their performances are like (though in person is different). Ogre does seem like a cool guy...maybe it's the Vancouver thing? I read an interview from a few years back where Ogre discussed the drug addictions, and he sounded like he has been clean for quite a while now. He did say the music was highly influenced by the drugs :) My favorite Skinny Puppy record is probably their easiest to listen to, "Rabies". I was a big fan of Industrial music in the 90's, but even my husband, who loved Industrial and Techno, couldn't get into this band. We both enjoyed other bands that were softer on the ear, like Ministry and KMFDM.

Did you meet Ogre?

edit: Dwayne died in August 1995 of a heroin overdose.

Archived