Songs, band or artists you're afraid to admit you like

danelectro59

I have a few concert videos (from way back), so i have seen what their performances are like (though in person is different). Ogre does seem like a cool guy...maybe it's the Vancouver thing? I read an interview from a few years back where Ogre discussed the drug addictions, and he sounded like he has been clean for quite a while now. He did say the music was highly influenced by the drugs :) My favorite Skinny Puppy record is probably their easiest to listen to, "Rabies". I was a big fan of Industrial music in the 90's, but even my husband, who loved Industrial and Techno, couldn't get into this band. We both enjoyed other bands that were softer on the ear, like Ministry and KMFDM.

Did you meet Ogre?

edit: Dwayne died in August 1995 of a heroin overdose.

I'm happy to hear he's been clean for a while. I forget what album came out when they toured - it was after Rabies though. I like techno but industrial is a bit too disjointed for me, at least what I've heard of it. I did meet Ogre.

Shame about Dwayne :(

I'm happy to hear he's been clean for a while. I forget what album came out when they toured - it was after Rabies though. I like techno but industrial is a bit too disjointed for me, at least what I've heard of it. I did meet Ogre.

Shame about Dwayne :(

Again, i'm jealous, and very cool, you meeting Ogre!

NONE of those songs were by the Airplane.

I'm embarrassed for anyone who likes Disco. It sucks!

I KNOW these songs weren't from Jefferson Airplane, duh, I was just saying I like all versions of the group and happened to list all the songs from whichever name they were going by in the 70's & 80's. Don't be embarrassed for me liking Disco, I LOVE it, fun stuff to me, hehe!! :D

I LOVE Motown and the British Invasion eras!!! Fantastic stuff as well as the 70s music and I'm not ashamed to say I like some disco :D 80s hair metal though I will have to take a pass on ;)

I did listen to the Scorpions a lot in the 80s, and some Def Leppard and G&R. Wasn't into Poison, Whitesnake, Motley Crue etc. though.

I did listen to the Scorpions a lot in the 80s, and some Def Leppard and G&R. Wasn't into Poison, Whitesnake, Motley Crue etc. though.

Well early Whitesnake is good - very different from the post MTV Whitesnake but the others, I just couldn't get into much of it. There were some exceptions. G&R had some good tunes but I have a hard time dealing with Axl being a supreme asshole :o

Well early Whitesnake is good - very different from the post MTV Whitesnake but the others, I just couldn't get into much of it. There were some exceptions. G&R had some good tunes but I have a hard time dealing with Axl being a supreme asshole :o

Yeah, I stopped listening to them after I read that he'd severely beaten his girlfriend.

Lots of country. Some of it I'm not embarrassed about, other stuff I have to hang my head in shame about, but I'll still admit I like it. Frinstance, I am not at all embarrassed about liking Jamey Johnson, Eric Church, Hayes Carll or any of the classics, but I don't feel quite so cool for liking certain Carrie Underwood and Big & Rich songs. But whaddya gonna do?

The sound quality on this leaves a lot to be desired (as do most YouTube clips, particularly audience-shot live ones) but here's the Yayhoos doing their rock n' roll cover of ABBA's Dancing Queen. A better sounding version can be found on their debut record, Fear Not the Obvious. I love the comment below the clip on the YouTube page, "The Yayhoos doing a great version of "Dancing Queen" aka "The Scandinavian Louie Louie"!"

The Yayhoos are Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites), Keith Christopher (Shaver, Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band), Eric "Roscoe" Ambel (Joan Jett's Blackhearts, the Del-Lords, Steve Earle's Dukes) and Terry Anderson (Fabulous Knobs, the Woods, the Backsliders, the Olympic Ass Kickin' Team and author of Battleship Chains, I Love You Period, etc.). For those interested, there's a great article on them here.

Yeah, that's a pretty fine version. I like Dan Baird.

Yeah, that's a pretty fine version. I like Dan Baird.

Great show this weekend. I see Dan Baird's going to be headed your way soon with his band Homemade Sin. I asked about their new record Saturday night but it's not out in the States yet. I have the live album he did with the Sofa Kings that was recorded in Sweden, that's some very kickass stuff.

Great show this weekend. I see Dan Baird's going to be headed your way soon with his band Homemade Sin. I asked about their new record Saturday night but it's not out in the States yet. I have the live album he did with the Sofa Kings that was recorded in Sweden, that's some very kickass stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about his new(?) band, Homemade Sin.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know about his new(?) band, Homemade Sin.

I think they've been around for a while and swore they had another album out before this new one but I've been unable to track it down. I gather they're more popular overseas than in the U.S. If you haven't done so already be sure to check out the Yayhoos (they only have two albums out) as well as the albums of their respective members, all damn good stuff.

I think they've been around for a while and swore they had another album out before this new one but I've been unable to track it down. I gather they're more popular overseas than in the U.S. If you haven't done so already be sure to check out the Yayhoos (they only have two albums out) as well as the albums of their respective members, all damn good stuff.

I have been listening to some of The Yayhoos, but I have not bought any of the albums (yet). What I've heard is good though.

I have been listening to some of The Yayhoos, but I have not bought any of the albums (yet). What I've heard is good though.

If you get around to buying any of them I can say without hesitation that you will absolutely love their debut, Fear Not the Obvious.

It was awkward to admit, but now I feel better about expressing this side of myself. For all those who still choose to live in denial, I can only feel sorrow and disappointment...

That's what the idea behind this thread was. I've seen Jefferson Airplane/Starship, Whitesnake and John Mayer mentioned. What? These are established acts with bonafide songs to their credit. I used A Flock of Seagulls as my example because they were considered goofy and totally uncool at the time with their aerodynamic hairdo's, huge specs and general lack of musical ability. If I would have said in 1982 that I liked I Ran, my friends would've laughed me into the next decade. I haven't seen one girl mention David Cassidy or his baby bro Shaun. Spice Girls? Britney Spears? Jonas Bros.? Prime examples, but I guess each individual has his or her own version.

That's what the idea behind this thread was. I used A Flock of Seagulls as my example because they were considered goofy and totally uncool at the time with their aerodynamic hairdo's, huge specs and general lack of musical ability.

Devo, Thomas Dolby, Ian Durey and the Blockheads, Blotto, Thompson Twins - these are all extremely goofy, too. But I still turn the volume up, and sing along...

Fun thread!! And it will feel good to come clean and admit a few things. LOL!! :)

I will admit to liking the Bee Gees, and a fair amount of disco music!! I've always said if I gave my Ipod Shuffle to anyone they'd be like..huh?!?! :blink: at the disparity of music on there. From In My Time Of Dying, to the other end of the spectrum: Rollercoaster (<--Ohio Players) to KC and the Sunshine Band (Get Down Tonight).

Also, I admit to LOVING David Cook...last year's winner of American Idol. I think he is talented/great voice, but many may roll their eyes at the whole AI thing. :) That's OK--I have tix to go see him Memorial Day weekend and am psyched!! :)

Sharon

Fun thread!! And it will feel good to come clean and admit a few things. LOL!! :)

I will admit to liking the Bee Gees, and a fair amount of disco music!! I've always said if I gave my Ipod Shuffle to anyone they'd be like..huh?!?! :blink: at the disparity of music on there. From In My Time Of Dying, to the other end of the spectrum: Rollercoaster (<--Ohio Players) to KC and the Sunshine Band (Get Down Tonight).

Also, I admit to LOVING David Cook...last year's winner of American Idol. I think he is talented/great voice, but many may roll their eyes at the whole AI thing. :) That's OK--I have tix to go see him Memorial Day weekend and am psyched!! :)

Sharon

I like the Bee Gees, Ohio Players and KC and the Sunshine Band too :D

Archived