PLANdreTh (ROBERT & SONNY!)

ZPN

I WANT ROBERT TO WORK WITH SONNY LANDRETH SOOOOOOOO BADLY!!!!!

Notice how their last names even fit together perfectly:

PLANdreTh: Heavy Levee (name for an album/tour)

I "hear" them together, when I listen to either of them, and it drives me nuts!!

If I could really hear together (not just in my head), it would be eargasms for me.

I met Sonny in November after a concert, and told him I thought they'd be the ultimate combination. He liked the idea (who WOULDN'T want to play with Robert?). Sonny's bass player, Dave Ranson was in Lil' Band O' Gold, so Robert's worked with Dave.

If you haven't heard of Sonny, he's a guitarist from Louisiana. He's an incredible slide player. To me, his playing is like Robert's singing. Sonny's got his own cds, and has done tons of sessions and tours with other musicians, including John Hiatt & Jimmy Buffett. I got the PLANdreTh itch when listening to Sonny's song, "A World Away" (on Sonny's cd, The Road We're On). Sonny sings on it, but when I listen to it, it's Robert's voice I hear, coming in after the intro. I even have a list of songs I think they'd sound fantastic on; Sonny's, Robert's post-Zep, Zep, & some Hiatt songs (I think Robert would totally tear up Hiatt's "Mr. Stanley").

ANY SONNY FANS OUT THERE WHO LIKE THE IDEA?

ANBODY KNOW HOW I CAN CONTACT ROBERT (MAIL/EMAIL)?

It's like a disease I can't shake: help me Robert & Sonny!

Smoke signals usually work best when trying to contact him.

is a bit high energy for Robert Plant but you never know when he might decide to further tweak Battle of Evermore or something.

One idea would be to jam with the guys in Strange Sensation or with someone in Alison's circle.

Sonny Landreth plays remarkably well but you need to consider how he would complement Robert Plant's musical leanings.

Robert Plant is wonderful but you can never predict how musicians will get along or not. Friction can develop in any relationship.

It's possible that Sonny Landreth will shine more favorably in his own spotlight rather than sharing one with Robert Plant.

A lot depends on what each one really wants to do.

Has either one expressed a desire to team up musically?

I WANT ROBERT TO WORK WITH SONNY LANDRETH SOOOOOOOO BADLY!!!!!

In Nashville, we use a giant searchlight to project a Viking figure in the sky, like the Bat signal in the Batman movies. Works every time.

I'd like to see Robert work with Eric Johnson.

Both have so many facets to their music vocabulary and Eric is deep rooted in the blues, too.

Not only does Eric play guitar so well, but he also is an amazing piano player, too.

http://www.ericjohnson.com/index.php?optio...5&Itemid=15

check out his piano work ("Song For Lynette") and guitar work on others listed here

His chimey/celestial guitar work as well as their ability to serve each song would definitely benefit any collaboration.

just my two cents worth. :D

R B)

I'd like to see Robert work with Eric Johnson.

Both have so many facets to their music vocabulary and Eric is deep rooted in the blues, too.

Not only does Eric play guitar so well, but he also is an amazing piano player, too.

http://www.ericjohnson.com/index.php?optio...5&Itemid=15

check out his piano work ("Song For Lynette") and guitar work on others listed here

His chimey/celestial guitar work as well as their ability to serve each song would definitely benefit any collaboration.

just my two cents worth. :D

R B)

Eric Johnson is on one track on Sonny Landreth's most recent cd, From the Reach.

I liked the track a lot-it's the only thing I've heard by EJ.

Other guests on the cd include Clapton, Knopfler, Vince Gill, Robben Ford, Dr John, Jimmy Buffett (tho you can't really hear him on backing vocs).

Smoke signals usually work best when trying to contact him.

is a bit high energy for Robert Plant but you never know when he might decide to further tweak Battle of Evermore or something.

One idea would be to jam with the guys in Strange Sensation or with someone in Alison's circle.

Sonny Landreth plays remarkably well but you need to consider how he would complement Robert Plant's musical leanings. Robert Plant is wonderful but you can never predict how musicians will get along or not. Friction can develop in any relationship. It's possible that Sonny Landreth will shine more favorably in his own spotlight rather than sharing one with Robert Plant. A lot depends on what each one really wants to do. Has either one expressed a desire to team up musically?

1. I have thought about how Sonny would complement Robert-PERFECTLY I think (and vice versa), which is exactly why I'm so high on the idea! I think it could be as good or better than Page/Plant, in terms of trading riffs, emotional intensity, etc., but music is subjective, so we can disagree as to how well they would complement each other. I actually realized Sonny was my favorite guitarist when I was watching the Page/Plant Unledded DVD.

I loved what Jimmy was doing, and thought usually I'm ambivalent about rock guitarists, at best. I asked myself if there was anyone besides Jimmy that I thought ADDED something to the vocals, and immediately thought about Sonny with Hiatt. At that point I only had the Hiatt cds Sonny was on, not any of Sonny's. Then I bought a few of Sonny's, and was even more blown away (my faves are Grant Street, which is live, and The Road We're On). For the first time I rewound guitar solos & played them again. I had only seen Sonny live with Hiatt, too, until last Nov, when I saw Sonny w/Dave Ranson & Mike Burch on drums.

They have a lot of the same musical influences/loves (Sonny's a big Scotty Moore guy, Robert Johnson, etc.). Sonny's proven he can play with subtlety when backing a singer-he's backed MANY vocalists. He can lay back when the singer's singing, and throw in great licks in between. Two PERFECT examples are John Hiatt's songs; "I Know A Place" (from cd The Tiki Bar is Open), and "That's the Last Time" (from cd Beneath This Gruff Exterior). Robert worked with a guy named Rainer Ptacek (a couple great bonus tracks on the reissue of Fate of Nations, which you can buy seperately or find in Plant's 9 Lives Box Set), and Sonny reminds me a little of him. I don't know how to play the guitar/the technical side, just what I get hear.

2. I don't know if they've expressed a desire to work together. When I mentioned it to Sonny, he sure liked the idea!

Whether he'll take the next step & try to contact Robert, I don't know. I didn't give Sonny my name or contact info, so I haven't followed up with him. If I see him again, I'll ask him. As I mentioned, I have no idea how to contact Robert, but you guys had some funny ideas! Thanks for the feedback, everyone.

There is this "Your Dream Jimmy Page Collaboration" thread down here, probably we have to have the same for Robert....

"Your dream Robert Plant collaboration".... :coffee:;)

I'm a HUGE Sonny fan! Never thought about Robert and he. Interesting.....

I started a thread singing his praises a while ago.

http://forums.ledzeppelin.com/index.php?sh...=sonny+landreth

Lets keep him in the limelight!

1. it's just a WISH. A I-wish-I'd-never-had-it-cause-it's-driving-me-CRAZY wish!

2. Yes, that's Sonny on Everybody Went Low:

The lineup when Sonny's with Hiatt is referred to as THE GONERS. What a great name for a band-leave it to Hiatt. If I was ever going to follow someone off a cliff, it would be Hiatt. My favorite album credit is when he listed Ravi Oli on Electric Sitar! All 3 of the "Goners" cds are fantastic: Slow Turning, The Tiki Bar is Open, & my favorite, Beneath This Gruff Exterior. If you love Sonny, make sure to get his live cd, Grant St. I like Sonny's new cd (with all the big name guests), but I like his others better. When you have Sonny, you don't need another guitarist! I struggled through a big magazine feature on him in Guitar Player, trying to figure out what they meant by some of the techniqe (behind the slide). It's mind blowing to me that any guitarist can have all that going on at once-right hand/left hand/tunings/memorizing chords for all the songs/effects & equipment-then he adds the behind & below the slide stuff! I guess that's why I never played the guitar!

Sorry if all that was old info to you guys. I am a Goddam Goner Gal, and "there ain't no cure"!

PLANdreTh, PLANdreTh, PLANdreTh.....

• 1 month later...

Here's my list of songs that I think Robert & Sonny could take to another level together (and I'd love to hear new songs they'd write together). If I get to see Sonny again, I'll bring him a copy of the list. It might nudge him closer to following through/contacting Robert!

Of course they couldn't do all of them, but it's a "real fine place" to start:)

SONNY’S:

A World Away

Juke Box Mama

True Blue

The Natural World

Fallin’ For You

Broken Hearted Road

Howlin’ Moon

Storm of Worry

Mojo Boogie

Wind in Denver

PLANT’S:

Ship of Fools

Promised Land

Dark Moon

The Greatest Gift

Calling to You

Come Into My Life

Colours of a Shade

Most High

Blue Train

Funny in My Mind

Win My Train Fare Home

Darkness Darkness

Hey Joe

The Enchanter

Dancing in Heaven

Mighty Rearranger

Nothin’

Fortune Teller

ZEP:

Babe I’m Gonna Leave You

What is and What Should Never Be

Thank You

That’s the Way

Since I’ve Been Loving You

Rock & Roll

When the Levee Breaks

Dancing Days

In My Time of Dying

Ten Years Gone

Black Country Woman

Nobody’s Fault But Mine

I’m Gonna Crawl

HIATT:

Riding With the King

Big Love (from the Little Village album-not the same as Plant's Big Love)

Feels Like Rain

Mr. Stanley

Almost Fed Up With the Blues

The River Knows Your Name

Wrote it Down & Burned it

Mile High (very hidden track on the cd "Walk On")

I Know a Place

When You Hold me Tight

Loving a Hurricane

Something Wild

BEATLES:

Yer Blues

While My Guitar Gently Weeps

GREG BROWN:

Jesus & Elvis

:elvis2:

In Nashville, we use a giant searchlight to project a Viking figure in the sky, like the Bat signal in the Batman movies. Works every time.

HA HA! Being from the land of the ice & snow (MN), I could use the Viking symbol (I think they play Immigrant Song at Viking Games). NOT! I'm a PACKER FAN!

Maybe I'll try the feather. Or a tennis racket. Or Wolverhampton Wolves logo. Or a giant Twix bar. I read somewhere Robert likes them.

Archived