NFL...09 season

slagfarmer

Barry Sanders did make the best highlight runs, and sometimes made other players look like they were standing still. But watching a complete game, and enduring all those + 1 and -3 yard running plays when things broke down and he'd get smothered, was not an overall pleasant spectacle. And they did have some dangerous receivers, back then...

They did ? Herman Moore set the single season receiving record for catches that year, but he did it with 8 men in the box at all times with single coverage. Scott Mitchell set just about every Lion record at quarterback, and he did that for the same reason. In 1997, Barry Sanders ran for over 2,000 yards with what was arguably an average offensive line at best. If he would have had Emmitt Smith's offensive line, he would have ran for 2,800. Just as it states in the article, they left linebackers unblocked for Barry to beat on his own. Without him, we were a 2-14 team. He walked away from the rushing title his rookie year just like he walked away from the all-time rushing title. At all times he was the smallest man on the field, and that included the refs, the coaches, the Press, and anyone else who was standing on the sidelines. Like Jim Brown, he chose when to leave the game. For my money, and even though they had different styles, they were both the greatest running backs of their respective era.

In 1997, Barry Sanders ran for over 2,000 yards with what was arguably an average offensive line at best. If he would have had Emmitt Smith's offensive line, he would have ran for 2,800. Just as it states in the article, they left linebackers unblocked for Barry to beat on his own.

A decent back should have no difficulty getting around linebackers in the open field, as Barry often did. I don't put much relevance in the stats of dream teams, as many assemblies of star players have never produced anything near the anticipated outcome. I just think that in order to keep the team in ballgames and win consistently, a back has to be able to bust through the opposition at times - or be platooned with someone who can. Now, if Sanders had been teammates with Eddie George...

You are correct Vick will not be playing in Buffalo. He will not be playing anywhere until at least week six (assuming that someone signs him). It certainly will be a interesting reception that he gets wherever he steps foot on the field. I hate what he did but the man has done his time for his crime.

You are correct Vick will not be playing in Buffalo. He will not be playing anywhere until at least week six (assuming that someone signs him). It certainly will be a interesting reception that he gets wherever he steps foot on the field. I hate what he did but the man has done his time for his crime.

I think alot of people are finally getting fed up with the growing trend of young people obtaining pit bulls to be part of their badass image, and training them to be viscous. These people have to wake up, and Vick happened to be caught at a time where examples need to set.

I think alot of people are finally getting fed up with the growing trend of young people obtaining pit bulls to be part of their badass image, and training them to be viscous. These people have to wake up, and Vick happened to be caught at a time where examples need to set.

If Michael Vick was in prison for 23 months and has an additional 6 week suspension from the NFL, all for killer dogs.. then Donte Stallworth, who killed a man and will recieve none month in prison, should be banned from the NFL for several years. Dog fighting is cruel and everything, but it should NEVER be a harsher punishment then killing someone.

A team will sign him before week 6. He can go to a training camp and get acquainted with the offense and teammates. As well as do some preemptive damage control in case of backlash.

I say he goes to the Redskins, Jaguars or 49ers.

Vick's never coming back to the NFL, even as a backup. His skills require a special offensive roster and scheme. You can't build that, based on someone you won't have until halfway through the season. He might not even find a job in the lameass arena leagues, given the family appeal of those. Maybe a European league is his only option.

Vick's never coming back to the NFL, even as a backup. His skills require a special offensive roster and scheme. You can't build that, based on someone you won't have until halfway through the season. He might not even find a job in the lameass arena leagues, given the family appeal of those. Maybe a European league is his only option.

Michael Vick is the 'wildcat' before the 'wildcat' offense. It's all the rage now. I'm sure he'll start in the UFL, but will go to the NFL in the near future.

Michael Vick is the 'wildcat' before the 'wildcat' offense. It's all the rage now. I'm sure he'll start in the UFL, but will go to the NFL in the near future.

Any quarterback can take part in that play - but you need the RB or WR to be able to throw, if necessary. A QB who could catch and run would be an added weapon, but when do you take the chance of someone at that position laying out in coverage? It would be like throwing a shitzu into a pit bull pen...

With all of these Buffalo Bills updates, where the "F" is Yukon? Or is he under an alias? Hay Jimmy Ray, what's up?

Go Cowboys!!!!

I'm pretty sure he came back briefly, as "savethelastdance". I know he irritated some people, but I got a kick out of him. There was some love/hate nonsense between a few members that he bumbled into. Why people whose lives were messed up by each other would still all be posting here is beyond me?

Think of all the fun we could could have had with Romo and Simpson!

With all of these Buffalo Bills updates, where the "F" is Yukon? Or is he under an alias? Hay Jimmy Ray, what's up?

Go Cowboys!!!!

Since T.O. is in Buffalo Yukon will be very busy performing his duties as president to the T.O. fan club :D . I will be looking for a glimpse of him in T.O.'s upcoming reality show :D .

Since T.O. is in Buffalo Yukon will be very busy performing his duties as president to the T.O. fan club :D . I will be looking for a glimpse of him in T.O.'s upcoming reality show :D .

Imagine the T.O. Christmas special! Another pass does the Bumble bounce off his hands!!!

Congratulations Ralph! This from the Toronto Sun.

Wilson headed to Hall

GROSSE POINTE SHORES, Mich. -- Ralph Wilson settles into a chair at his long dining room table, ready to dig into a salad. The main course soon follows: The American Football League.

"Speaking of the 'Foolish Club,' " he begins, a smile forming as he recalls what the eight AFL owners were dubbed some 50 years ago. "You'd go to cocktail parties back in those days and they'd look at me like: 'What kind of a dope are you, going into a new league?' "

Little did the founder and sole owner of the Buffalo Bills envision then that he'd eventually get the last laugh. Wilson will join the game's most prestigious club Saturday when he'll be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

This is a long overdue honour :D

This from today's Toronto Sun.

Bills owner instrumental in landing T.O.

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

CANTON, Ohio -- When Terrell Owens makes his debut in a Buffalo Bills uniform tonight, little does he realize how much influence a certain newly inducted member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame had in getting him to Buffalo.

That person would be team owner Ralph Wilson Jr.

Frustrated with missing the playoffs for nine consecutive years and unhappy with how his franchise had been relegated to secondary status, Wilson decided to stir things up in early March, a day after Owens was released by Dallas.

"I said: 'Sign him,' " Wilson told The Associated Press, recalling his conversation with Bills general manager Russ Brandon. "In Buffalo, we haven't had a national figure, publicity-wise, since (Jim) Kelly.

"So I thought: 'If this guy's a bad guy, so what? If he's a bad guy, we'll have to get rid of him. But if he's a good guy, hey, we're ahead of the game.' "

Wilson will begin finding out when the Bills help usher in the pre-season by facing the Tennessee Titans in the Hall of Fame game, which kicks off the NFL schedule. And it's a contest that offers numerous compelling story lines beyond T.O., who signed a one-year $6.5-million US contract with Buffalo.

The game will be part of a distinctly Buffalo-flavoured weekend, played a day after Wilson and former Bills defensive end Bruce Smith were inducted into the Hall. It's a game between two original American Football League franchises, celebrating the 50th anniversary of the league's founding.

The Titans, who relocated from Houston, will wear throwback Oilers uniforms.

Then there's Titans quarterback Vince Young, who will get a chance to begin showing whether he's ready to reclaim the starting job since an emotional meltdown relegated him to the sideline most of last season. Young is expected to play about a half, behind starter Kerry Collins.

"There's definitely going to be a lot of eyes. I can't think about that," said Young, who's looked confident during the first week of training camp.

For Owens, what better setting to make his much-anticipated debut than national television? Not that it's anything new to him.

"I've done it all before," Owens said with a shrug. "We're trying to approach the game just like any other game, get some things accomplished, get a feel for where we are."

LETS GO BUFFALO :cheer:

This is from today's Toronto Sun.

Bills' playoff hopes in Edwards' hands

By MIKE ZEISBERGER, TORONTO SUN

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Late last week, a Buffalo Bills fan contacted a local radio station saying a friend of a friend had spotted Michael Vick at the Niagara County airport.

Just one question: Was Jimmy Hoffa on the flight?

Excuse our sarcasm, but that's how ridiculous all the Vick frenzy ballooned into over a 24-hour span in western New York.

Until the news broke Thursday that Vick had inked with the Philadelphia Eagles, Buffalo media outlets were peppered with bogus reports from area citizens claiming to know someone who had seen Vick in the region, presumably to sign with the Bills.

To its credit, the Bills organization, also dealing with various Internet reports suggesting Vick could be Buffalo-bound, finally muzzled all the hullabaloo by issuing a statement insisting the team had no interest in the former Atlanta Falcons bad boy.

For now, in the eyes of management, Trent Edwards is the man in Buffalo -- the quarterback to lead the franchise to the promised land.

The reality? If the Bills are to finally reach the playoffs again, he'll have to be.

It would appear Edwards is taking strides toward that goal through two exhibition games.In 14 pass attempts thus far, he has yet to have a ball hit the ground. He is 13-for-14 for 133 yards, the only blemish being an interception tossed against the Tennessee Titans during the Hall of Fame game.

PERFECT SHEET

On the stats sheet, at least, Edwards was perfect in his second exhibition outing of the pre-season, going 10-for-10 for 79 yards in a 27-20 victory over the Chicago Bears at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Saturday.

But scrape away all these impressive numbers and you still find a disturbing wart.

In five pre-season drives, Edwards has yet to lead his team into the end zone, an ailment that has plagued him through his two-plus seasons in the NFL.

To be fair, only one of those featured his new pass-catching toy, Terrell Owens, the man who is second in career touchdown receptions behind the legendary Jerry Rice.

Owens, who sat out against the Bears with an ailing toe, could be back practising as early as today. Either way, once T.O. returns, there will be no excuses left for Edwards if he continues to struggle to put touchdowns on the board.

Edwards is an efficient quarterback, sometimes too much so. His decision-making often is too vanilla, too beige. Instead of going up top, he often settles for his check-down receiver out of the backfield.

The result: A 2008 season in which he threw 11 touchdowns and 10 interceptions.

Typical middle-of-the-road Trent Edwards stuff.

To add some sizzle, Buffalo has adopted a no-huddle offence, the type of game plan that led Jim Kelly's Bills to four consecutive Super Bowl berths in the early 1990s.

Kelly's offence was known as the K-Gun. Will the Edwards' offence be known as the Pop Gun?

Management hopes not. It expects more. And so does Edwards, who admits he is becoming more comfortable with the no huddle.

"We're getting lined up, we're getting in the right formation and in the right call, and that's putting a lot of pressure on the defence," Edwards said. "They can't run too much defensively because we're running the plays so fast.

"They have to get guys in and out of their huddle and they have to get guys off the field. There's a chance to hit them with big plays when they are substituting."

Edwards does miss one thing about the huddle.

"The joking around with the guys in there," he admitted.

No reason to fret. Should he regularly start leading the Bills to touchdowns once the regular season starts, there will be plenty of reason to laugh.

MIKE.ZEISBERGER@SUNMEDIA.CA

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!

All I can say is what a bumb ass!

Burress to serve two years behind bars

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

NEW YORK -- Facing the prospect of spending at least 31/2 years behind bars, one-time Super Bowl star Plaxico Burress yesterday accepted a plea bargain with a two-year prison sentence for accidentally shooting himself in the thigh at a Manhattan nightclub.

The former New York Giants wide receiver pleaded guilty to one count of attempted criminal possession of a weapon, a lesser charge than he had faced. He will be sentenced Sept. 22, and lawyer Benjamin Brafman said he expects Burress to begin serving his sentence immediately after.

Burress got into a black SUV without speaking to reporters outside Manhattan state Supreme Court, but Brafman said, "After an agonizing period of discussion, Plaxico decided that he wanted to do this, to put this behind him as quickly as possible."

Burress was indicted earlier this month on two counts of criminal possession of a weapon and one count of reckless endangerment. He faced a minimum sentence of 31/2 years if convicted at trial.

Hours after his court appearance, the NFL announced commissioner Roger Goodell had suspended Burress and said he is ineligible to sign with any team until he completes his jail term. Goodell, who met with Burress and his representatives last week, said Burress will be reinstated upon completion of his sentence.

Burress' guilty plea ends months of haggling between Brafman and the Manhattan district attorney's office. The case went to a grand jury after negotiations broke down, apparently because District Attorney Robert Morgenthau was insisting that Burress serve at least two years in prison.

With time off for good behaviour, Burress likely will serve 20 months. He will be monitored during an additional two years after his release, which could come as early as the spring of 2011

Not sure how I feel about Favre in a Viking's Jersey. This From Today's Toronto Sun

Bills' top draft pick 'ecstatic' to finally have signed deal

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Aaron Maybin wouldn't let himself believe his long wait to sign with the Bills was about to end until he boarded a plane bound for Buffalo.

A few hours after taking off from Baltimore yesterday morning, the Bills' top draft choice stood at a podium and expressed his delight after signing a five-year contract that includes about $15 million US in guaranteed money.

"Ecstatic, overjoyed, whatever you want to call it, that's me," said Maybin, a defensive end selected 11th overall out of Penn State. "I've been smiling from ear to ear."

The deal was reached exactly four weeks after Bills players reported to training camp, and a week after the two sides had reached an impasse, causing concern that Maybin might not arrive soon enough to be ready for Buffalo's regular-season opener at New England on Sept. 14.

Maybin signed just in time to see his teammates in the locker-room before they left for Green Bay for a pre-season game tonight (ABC, 8 p.m.).

Favre gets standing O

MINNEAPOLIS -- What was once unthinkable became reality last night under the big white top of the Metrodome -- Brett Favre received a standing ovation in Minnesota.

Long considered the most dastardly of villains in Minnesota sports, Favre's decision to sign with the Vikings has instantly turned him into a player viewed as the state's white knight.

Favre started the pre-season game against the Kansas City Chiefs, going 1-for-4 for four yards in two series.

Looks good for Big Ben

PITTSBURGH -- Ben Roethlisberger has travelled with the Pittsburgh Steelers for this weekend's exhibition game in Washington, a further sign the quarterback's right foot injury is not serious.

The team did not issue an injury update before leaving, saying none is required by the NFL during the pre-season. No one with the team, however, has indicated the injury was more than minor.

Roethlisberger is not expected to play tonight against the Redskins. He was hurt Thursday in practice when 345-pound left tackle Max Starks stepped on the quarterback's foot.

The march to 0-32 continues on schedule. B)

If I were the Lions, I wouldn't start Culpepper or Stafford. Stanton would be my man. You drafted the guy with a 2nd round pick. If he can't play in his 3rd year, it's time to cut your losses and him.

I'll be watching the Cowboys for a change. I'm curious at what point Cowboy fans realize that Roy Williams can't run the same pattern twice, lacks breakaway speed, and doesn't have the mental focus or intelligence to be your prime receiver.

How do you shoot yourself and get two years in prison ? :slapface: Keep his attorney away from me !

The march to 0-32 continues on schedule. B)

If I were the Lions, I wouldn't start Culpepper or Stafford. Stanton would be my man. You drafted the guy with a 2nd round pick. If he can't play in his 3rd year, it's time to cut your losses and him.

I'll be watching the Cowboys for a change. I'm curious at what point Cowboy fans realize that Roy Williams can't run the same pattern twice, lacks breakaway speed, and doesn't have the mental focus or intelligence to be your prime receiver.

How do you shoot yourself and get two years in prison ? :slapface: Keep his attorney away from me !

I think that the Cowboys will miss T.O. more than they care to admit. They will miss him as a receiver not as a distraction! I am not sure about 0-32 but time will tell. They have been bad for so long with high draft picks...seems like a hard thing to do. Gotta be tough being a lions fan B)

Archived