NFL...09 season

slagfarmer

I think that the Cowboys will miss T.O. more than they care to admit. They will miss him as a receiver not as a distraction!

The Cowboys won't miss him at all. The offense will be less predictable and also the players won't have all of the drama going on the sideline throughout the game. Glad Buffalo has that headache now - if he ever gets over his toe injury!!

I think I am the only one posting here! Still that doesn't matter. This from today's Toronto Sun

Chiefs shake up coaching staff

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Rookie head coach Todd Haley fired offensive co-ordinator Chan Gailey and assumed that role himself yesterday, 13 days before the Kansas City Chiefs open the season with a very unsettled quarterback situation.

Matt Cassel was injured in Saturday night's pre-season loss to Seattle, limping away with a knee injury. But Haley refused to discuss the injury to Cassel, who signed a six-year contract for a guaranteed $28 million US.

Yahoo! Sports, citing a source in the organization, reported Cassel sprained the medial collateral ligament in his left knee and could miss two-to-four weeks.

Haley, the offensive co-ordinator at Arizona the past two years, declined to say whether the offence will make any significant changes before beginning the Sept. 13 season opener at Baltimore. He also will serve as quarterbacks coach.

"That is something I put a lot of thought into," he said. "The advantage I have now is I know pretty much what my duties are ... Obviously, I think this is best for the team."

Cracked rib for Favre?

HOUSTON -- Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre says he might have a cracked rib.

Favre told ESPN before last night's game at Houston he hasn't received an official diagnosis but that taking a deep breath caused him some discomfort. He also doesn't plan to wear any kind of special padding, saying "the damage is done."

The three-time MVP signed a $25-million deal with the Vikings on Aug. 18.

Being careful with T.O.

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- With Terrell Owens' sore toe finally healed, his next step is seeing whether he can boost a Bills offence that has been limping through the pre-season.

Just don't expect him back for Buffalo's exhibition finale against Detroit on Thursday.

After missing three weeks with a sprained toe, Owens returned to practice and declared he'll be ready to play in two weeks for the regular-season opener against New England.

"We're going to be smart about it," Owens said. "We've got the big opener to the season against the Patriots, so that's where my focus is right now."

In other injury news, middle linebacker Paul Posluszny missed practice after hurting his jaw in a 17-0 loss at Pittsburgh last weekend. Defensive end Aaron Schobel (left elbow) and running back Fred Jackson (sprained left wrist) returned to practice.

Patriots cut QB

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. -- Quarterback Kevin O'Connell, projected to be Tom Brady's backup, was cut by the New England Patriots.

O'Connell's release came three days after Brady sustained what the Patriots described as a sore shoulder in a 27-24 exhibition win over the Washington Redskins.

More rest for Bulger

ST. LOUIS -- The St. Louis Rams plan to sit quarterback Marc Bulger in the pre-season finale to lessen the chance of him aggravating a broken right pinkie.

Bulger got his arm warmed up for the second straight day yesterday, throwing 25-30 passes with the pinkie and right ring finger taped together for stability.

Tweeting's OK, kind of

NEW YORK -- Tweet away, boys. Just save it for before and after the games.

The NFL said it will allow players to use social media networks this season, but not during games. Players, coaches and football operations personnel can use Twitter, Facebook and other social media up to 90 minutes before kickoff, and after the game following traditional media interviews.

Tweeting's OK, kind of

NEW YORK -- Tweet away, boys. Just save it for before and after the games.

The NFL said it will allow players to use social media networks this season, but not during games. Players, coaches and football operations personnel can use Twitter, Facebook and other social media up to 90 minutes before kickoff, and after the game following traditional media interviews.

It seems ludicrous that even needs to addressed? But I suppose some asshole receiver will include pretending to "tweet" a message as part of his touchdown celebration...

The Bills Offence didn't look good on Saturday. They were playing the Steelers who looked in mid season form. But that Buffalo no-huddle offense just hasn't looked good at all. Yikes

Have no fear. We'll make you look playoff bound on Thursday night....even if you're not.

OUCH!!!

Lions gorge on Buffalo

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

ORCHARD PARK, N.Y. -- Lions rookie quarterback Matthew Stafford closed the preseason much like he opened it: by showing plenty of promise but little finish.

The same goes for the Buffalo Bills offence, which again was without Terrell Owens to help it find the end zone following a 17-6 loss to Detroit in each team's pre-season finale last night.

Fullback Jerome Felton scored on a oneyard plunge late in first half to open the scoring for the Lions (3-1). Tristan Davis then sealed the win with a 79-yard TD run in the fourth quarter, in a game in which the Lions had 249 yards rushing and 422 yards total offence.

Buffalo's offence looked anemic without Owens, Trent Edwards and Lee Evans. Owens missed his fourth game recovering from a sprained toe, although he did return to practice this week.

This from today's Toronto Sun.

Bills let go veteran Rhodes

By SUN WIRE SERVICES

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Veteran running back Dominic Rhodes was released yesterday by the Buffalo Bills, who continued shaking up their offence a day after firing coordinator Turk Schonert.

Rhodes was among the 18 players cut in order for the team to establish its 53-player roster.

Aside from Rhodes, the only other notable player released was veteran offensive lineman Kirk Chambers, who had been a versatile backup capable of filling in at tackle and guard.

GARCIA OUT OF WORK

ALAMEDA, Calif. -- Quarterback Jeff Garcia, who was signed by Oakland in the offseason to push JaMarcus Russell and serve as a mentor to the former No. 1 overall draft pick, was among 22 players let go by the Raiders.

SUPER BOWL HERO LET GO

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- David Tyree has gone from Super Bowl hero to out of a job.

Tyree was released by the New York Giants in the final cutdown that also featured a late trade with backup tight end Michael Matthews, another Super Bowl veteran, being shipped to the Patriots for a conditional draft pick.

BUSY DAY FOR SEAHAWKS

SEATTLE -- Cornerback Marcus Trufant will miss the first six games for the Seahawks. And veteran safety Brian Russell is gone, amid reports Seattle is about to sign Lawyer Milloy.

Trufant has not practised since before training camp because of a disc issue in his back. He begins the season on the physically-unable-to-perform list.

HARRINGTON CUT LOOSE

METAIRIE, La. -- Quarterback Joey Harrington and veteran defensive end Paul Spicer were among the 22 players cut by the New Orleans Saints.

It was possible, however, that a couple of the players cut would be brought back because the Saints' active roster still included three players -- defensive ends Charles Grant and Will Smith, and kicker Garrett Hartley -- who were expected to begin serving four-game suspensions.

-- The Associated Press

This from today's Toronto Sun.

Bills let go veteran Rhodes

By SUN WIRE SERVICES

BUFFALO, N.Y. -- Veteran running back Dominic Rhodes was released yesterday by the Buffalo Bills, who continued shaking up their offence a day after firing coordinator Turk Schonert.

Rhodes was among the 18 players cut in order for the team to establish its 53-player roster.

Aside from Rhodes, the only other notable player released was veteran offensive lineman Kirk Chambers, who had been a versatile backup capable of filling in at tackle and guard.

Seems odd to fire him before the first regular season game? Should have been done before training camp opened, at least. And Rhodes is a decent back, this leaves them too thin at this position for the start of the season. Wasn't T.O. supposed to shake things up?

Here we go! the wait is finally over! Let the games Begin! This from today's Toronto Sun.

The wait is over -- finally

Steelers, Titans kick off NFL season after last year's fiery clash

By ALAN ROBINSON, THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

PITTSBURGH -- The stomping their Terrible Towel took on the Tennessee Titans' sideline last December was nothing compared to the trampling the Pittsburgh Steelers took on the field.

The Titans were Steelers-like in the way they manhandled Pittsburgh up front, hurried Ben Roethlisberger into mistakes, and were more physical. Tennessee's 31-14 victory on Dec. 21 was Pittsburgh's only loss in its final 10 games, and it made fans of both teams eager for the rematch.

It never took place -- until now.

The Titans and Steelers, teams that always stay in character amid the constant changes that swirl around them in the NFL, open the new season tonight by playing the game that was anticipated in January.

The Steelers co-operated -- they won the Super Bowl -- but the Titans were derailed by Baltimore in the divisional round, and the Ravens then lost to Pittsburgh. The Titans started 10-0, finished 13-3 and have spent the last seven-plus months pondering how their season -- and perhaps the Super Bowl -- got away from them.

To the Steelers, the most indelible image of that Titans rout was running back LenDale White and several teammates tromping on Terrible Towels. The sideline stomp has been replayed countless times in Pittsburgh, where the towel is as much a source of civic pride as it is a symbol of the six-time Super Bowl-winning team it represents.

In Pittsburgh, one doesn't dare tread on the Terrible Towel, but White said he would gladly do it again if he gets the chance.

"If it happens to be there, I'm going to stomp all over it, man," White said. "If there's a towel in the stands, I will stomp on it. I don't care who gets mad. I'm going to kick it and stomp it. If they don't want their towel stomped on, keep it out of my face."

White's words weren't especially well-received in his own locker room -- why agitate the champions, after all? Coach Jeff Fisher quickly moved to end such talk.

"It was something that took place in an emotional moment," Fisher said. "The players now understand the tradition behind the towel and the organization. They're certainly not going to carry their own towels out there and stomp on them before kick-off."

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he has more important matters to worry about, such as making sure his players don't turn over the ball four times again.

"There's a lot of things that pump fans up that got nothing to do with winning and losing," Tomlin said.

ROSTERS INTACT

Given the NFL's yearly player turnover rate, this is about as close as two teams can come to a rematch from one season to the next. The Titans are missing only two starters, though the loss of All-Pro defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth could significantly weaken what was the NFL's No. 7 defence.

The Steelers return 19 of 22 starters, exceptional for a Super Bowl-winning team. Tomlin, however, has repeatedly taken steps to distance this team from last season's.

The Steelers lost backup wide receiver Nate Washington to Tennessee, where he is expected to take on a bigger role once he heals from a hamstring injury. The Steelers will be without linebacker Lawrence Timmons (high ankle sprain).

The Titans have won four of their past five against the Steelers, but the loss also came in a season opener, 34-7 in 2005 as Willie Parker ran for 161 yards in his NFL starting debut.

Terrific start to the season - Cowboys 34 Bucs 21. Went to the game and boy were there a lot of Cowboy fans in Tampa. We had a great time seeing America's Team in person and what a fantastic stadium Raymond James Stadium is! :)

GO COWBOYS!!!

:DMy Lions embarassingly lost again. 0-16 again!

Thank you to your Lions. They helped me win my first fantasy football matchup, letting Brees throw for 6 TD's. Sorry for your team, but I'll take those stats whenever I can get 'em!

^ I was rooting for the Raiders for a friend of mine. I was a bit sad that they lost. I was rooting for them because it's his birthday and he's a fan.

Well, in that case, I guess I can forgive you. ;) And I have to admit, you know that one part where the refs said that somebody-or-other dropped the ball (sorry, I'm not really that much of a football fan most of the year, lol) and took back the Raiders' points? It really didn't look like he dropped the ball to me. I'm not gonna complain, though! I can't stand the crazy Black Hole nutjobs...they come here and get into drunken brawls in the stadium parking lot every year. I swear the most interesting part of the game is reading the arrest report in the newspaper the next day.

Buffalo area police are still on the lookout for a vandal who spray painted "25-24, YOU DUMBASS MUTHAFUCKA!" on fumbling kick returner Leodis McKelvin's front yard, shortly after Monday night's loss. The perpetrater is described as a cherubic fellow with a twisted moustache and thick beard, and is considered possibly dangerous - as he was seen carrying a pickaxe.

Buffalo area police are still on the lookout for a vandal who spray painted "25-24, YOU DUMBASS MUTHAFUCKA!" on fumbling kick returner Leodis McKelvin's front yard, shortly after Monday night's loss. The perpetrater is described as a cherubic fellow with a twisted moustache and thick beard, and is considered possibly dangerous - as he was seen carrying a pickaxe.

Those fans really need to get a life! It was week one for pete's sake. Why not go after T.O.? He only had 2 catches all night long and one of them was at the very end of the game. Nice drop on the third and five pass, T.O., reminds me of the last 3 years in Dallas! :rolleyes:

GO COWBOYS!!

Cherubic fellow - In the fine vernacular that is a fat ass.

See if you can pick him out of this line up.

http://kevin.p.monaghan.googlepages.com/SevenDwarfs.jpg/SevenDwarfs-full.jpg

Teens admit to defacing McKelvin's lawn

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4478575

Imagine that, T.O. calling out someone for ignorance. I believe that falls in the pot and kettle column! :lol:

That type of behavior does not need to happen anywhere or anytime, however they do need to get a legal paper trail on those two 16 year-olds. That was a pretty bold act and I, for one, would not want to see it happen again (or worse).

Archived