Some Guitar Advice

OK well I have recently started playing the guitar, and am playing the accoustic but my guitar teacher reckons that I should start playing electric, mainly becuase of the bands I'm into.

I have been searching on the internet ect And wondered if anyone could offer advice as to what guitar I could buy or try. I know that this might be a long shot to ask but just wonderd.

Go to www.ultimate-guitar.com and look around, especially in the forums (click forums then go to the subheading "electric guitar") It'll give you a lot of detail, that question's been asked a million times before.

Squier - cheap copies of Fender

Epiphone - cheapish copies of Gibson

keep in mind a better guitar improves your playing more, to a point. Don't go and buy a $100 one from a general store, go to your equipment centre and ask around.

I would add to the above post that you make sure the plank you just bought has a voice. Play it unplugged and see if it rings. That, and shit pickups will sound like shit through an amp. Second to action that makes playing it physically painful, a shitty sound will be equally discouraging. My first guitar was crap sounding, but played well. The simple addition of a hot pickup changed everything!

Do you share my belief that its better to learn on an acoustic if one is at the very beginning stages? Or don't you think it matters? I always thought that you are going to learn to play a bit cleaner on an acoustic and not get a false sense of the true sound that an electric can cause with distortion and loudness? But, its just my personal opinion. Certainly the electric may be give one quicker satisfaction if you will. After all, he could learn to play Smoke on the Water in 5 minutes. lol.

Woo, that's a tough call. And I can't say what would be better for the individual. I started on acoustic when I was eight. Just strumming chords. Then I got an electric and at the very same time Van Halen came out. I accelerated at a rate I can't even convey in words. I was 12 and playing Eruption in the 90th percentile. Hell I think I was better then than now!! :lol:

I think the most important thing when it comes to rock guitar is being able to get the sound that inspires you to go further right now. You can always broaden your knowledge of composition and theory, but ultimately it's rock and roll, and we want to play it NOW! B)

Personally I wouldn't get a squire, I'm so glad I didn't start out on one cause they play horribly. They are dirt cheap for a reason. I would maybe go for a mexican strat or a cheap ibanez. Never owned an epiphone, but they seem like decent enough guitars. Good luck with your search!

which bands are you into? maybe getting a copy or a relatively cheaper guitar of the same brand that the guitarists play might put u in the direction... maybe thats not great advice, but just kinda popped into my head... page fans will play mostly lp's, clapton fans strats, etc.

I teach a loada kids that have really crap budget guitars and it is so hard to get them to progress because between lessons their guitar is always falling out of tune and they get discouraged when they can't hear something good. So take all the above advice, otherwise learning will become more difficult and more upsetting.

Although, we are definitely not saying that getting a better guitar means you won't get discouraged...the more you practice the better you become.

Peace.

Rik

go to your local music store and try some stuff out , but don't look at the price as your trying it. strum it, pick it , whatever feels the best to you.

If price is a probleme, and you've picked up something expensive, ask the guys there to help you out to tell you what they can about the guitar, and then ask them to compare it too something cheaper, make sure you know what your getting, especially when it comes to pick-ups. Also, get your actions set ASAP. then learn with the cheaper guitar intill you can get enough money to buy the one that is truley right for you, i nearly cried when i looked up the price on Page's custom LP.

Whatever you do, don't choose a guitar by its price, let the guitar choose you. I've made that mistake more then once, im only 15, barely, so price is a huge probleme for me, and i bought an epiphone SG g-400 because it was cheap, BAD mistake, took $400 dollars off my budget for the guitar i see i really want now(gibson, LP) and im still working towards the gibson, i think ima stop at a SE custom, or an SE single-cut trem soon though, because it's gonna be awhile till i get that Les Paul.

Not saying that an epiphone sg g400 is a bad guitar, just wish i saved the money for what i truley wanted.

sorry for the useless story, hope this helped (:

Personally I wouldn't get a squire, I'm so glad I didn't start out on one cause they play horribly. They are dirt cheap for a reason. I would maybe go for a mexican strat or a cheap ibanez. Never owned an epiphone, but they seem like decent enough guitars. Good luck with your search!

That's funny because that is EXACTLY what I started out on.

Yes, they are terrible. I broke the whammy bar off of mine, it kept going out of tune, and the sound was pretty much awful.

try looking at brands such as ESP or epiphone or something.

i use esp, yea they have quite a few metal guitars but u can find some that aren't so "metal".

if u go with epiphone i would recommend something like the lp standard, something that isn't beginner status.

Archived