Who made a bigger impact on music...

ledzep45

Who made a bigger impact on music...  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who made a bigger impact on music...

• MJ
    • JL

In what alternate universe?

Um... the alternate universe called... uh... this one?

Elvis Presely was the first person called rock and roll. No, he didn't coin the term, but it was first applied to his music. He is, after all, the King.

ETA:

According to Rolling Stone magazine, "That's All Right (Mama)" was the first Rock and Roll record. Before Elvis you had Blues, Rhythm and Blues, Gospel, Folk, Country, Boogie-Woogie, Swing, etc. Elvis came out and bridged all that together: Rock and Roll.

Elvis Presely was the first person called rock and roll. No, he didn't coin the term, but it was first applied to his music. He is, after all, the King.

I don't know that for a fact,so I'll just have to take your word for it...I do know the term "rock and roll" was originally ghetto slang for energetic fucking.

His version of it was not the first.(See "Rocket 88"),and he sure as shit isn't the King of it,at least not to me.

As a matter of fact,he came to represent everything that's wrong with rock and roll...or was wrong with it,IMO.

"Cause how do you remember Elvis?.......You know how you remember Elvis...."

Elvis Presley created Rock and Roll. The Beatles created Pop. Bob Dylan was the first true musical social critic.

I'd disagree with all three of these (you guessed, right? :D ), but mostly with the last which is just wrong. Woody Guthrie was a major social critic of the Dust Bowl and the Depression, and major influence in that regard on Dylan, and generations of singer/songwriters were social critics before him.

ETA:

According to Rolling Stone magazine, "That's All Right (Mama)" was the first Rock and Roll record. Before Elvis you had Blues, Rhythm and Blues, Gospel, Folk, Country, Boogie-Woogie, Swing, etc. Elvis came out and bridged all that together: Rock and Roll.

LOL. It was Ike Turner with Rocket 88. Elvis didn't invent rock n roll, he made it popular. And a magazine that thinks Kurt Cobain is a better guitarist than Randy Rhoads means nothing to me.

"This is a rock and roll discussion thread. Run along, boy."

ETA:

Yes, Elvis is the King but, I believe this achievement went to ......

Ike Wister Turner (November 5, 1931[1][2] – December 12, 2007) was an American musician, bandleader, talent scout, and record producer. Considered to be one of the fathers of rock and roll, his first recording, "Rocket 88" by "Jackie Brenston and his Delta Cats," in 1951, is considered by some to be the "first rock and roll song" ever. However, he is best known for his work with his ex-wife Tina Turner as one half of the Ike & Tina Turner revue. Spanning a career that lasted half a century, Ike's repertoire included blues, soul, rock, and funk. Alongside his former wife, he was inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1991 and in 2001 was inducted into the St. Louis Walk of Fame. Turner won two Grammy Awards. in his song "Rocket 88" in 1953.

Or ....

Bill Haley & His Comets was an American rock and roll band that was founded in 1952 and continued until Haley's death in 1981. The band, also known by the names Bill Haley and The Comets and Bill Haley's Comets (and variations thereof), was one of the earliest groups of white musicians to bring rock and roll to the attention of white America and the rest of the world. From the end of 1954 until the end of 1956 the group would place nine singles into the Top 20, one of those a number one and three more in the Top Ten.,

Rock around the Clock was written by Max C. Freedman and James E. Myers.

Ike was the first person to play the guitar with something called Distortion, something that is pretty much standard in Rock and Roll today and ever since the 1960's practically. Bill Haley made Rock and Roll an international thing by getting it to the mid/upper class people of the world.

I give you credit for trying but I like my answer's best.

I don't know that for a fact,so I'll just have to take your word for it...I do know the term "rock and roll" was originally ghetto slang for energetic fucking.

His version of it was not the first.(See "Rocket 88"),and he sure as shit isn't the King of it,at least not to me.

As a matter of fact,he came to represent everything that's wrong with rock and roll...or was wrong with it,IMO.

"Cause how do you remember Elvis?.......You know how you remember Elvis...."

Fair enough. I'm not the world's biggest fan of Elvis Presley myself, actually. I have my own compilation of all the Presley tunes Zep covered in their medleys (and I torrented those tracks from Demonoid), but other then that, I have nothing. He just ain't my style. To be honest, aside from Blues, Jazz, Jerry Lee Lewis, Johnny Cash, and Chuck Berry, I'm not a big fan of the 50's music scene.

I'd disagree with all three of these (you guessed, right? :D ), but mostly with the last which is just wrong. Woody Guthrie was a major social critic of the Dust Bowl and the Depression, and major influence in that regard on Dylan, and generations of singer/songwriters were social critics before him.

You are right. I'm sorry. Dylan is the most famous of them, or at least the most prolific (he still hasn't stopped touring or recording).

...John Lennon (solo or with the beatles) or Michael Jackson (solo or with the Jackson 5)

I was having this conversation with my friend today. I was trying to persuade him but he just stuck with MJ (how is earth song a better peace song than Imagine :huh: )

So anyway, i dont want any arguments, only debates with points to show (eg, songs, experiences etc)

So, vote away!

Edit: sorry, i double topiced :rolleyes:

How's it going "ledzep45" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with you. I just got home from the bar after working a typical 8 hour day with my employer. What a day! I just realized, for the next two weeks starting next week are KNEBWORTH'S (4 & 11 August 1979) anniversaries. I'm going to do this year what I did last year. I'm going to show both complete shows in their entirety at two bars in San Antonio with excellent picture quality and in full glorious Dolby Stereo. I love watching both shows on the big screen, in brings both shows to life. Both bars are already advertising both shows on their big signs outside of their building and I feel confident that both bars will be totally packed like they were last year. I will bring both KNEBWORTH threads back from last year and get all of your thoughts and opinions of both shows.

Now, in reference to who made a bigger impact on music, it is without a doubt and hands down, JOHN LENNON along with THE BEATLES. THE BEATLES are the most influential band of all-time. If there was no BEATLES, there would be no JACKSON 5 or MICHAEL JACKSON. Why do you think that MICHAEL JACKSON purchased all of the BEATLES catalog? Because he knew that THE BEATLES were great and their music will live forever just like the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. ROCK ON!

Elvis Presley created Rock and Roll. The Beatles created Pop. Bob Dylan was the first true musical social critic. John Lennon followed suit, and added to the music genres in definition. Jimi Hendrix made the guitar solo famous (even if he wasn't the first to truly play one). Pink Floyd invented a whole new genre out of Psychedelic Rock: Progressive (Saucerful of Secrets has been called the first Progressive Rock album). Led Zeppelin was the first band to bridge quite literally dozens of different styles, and, some say, played a roll in inventing Metal along with Black Sabbath. Michael Jackson made Pop truly famous.

The most influential on the landscape would have to be Elvis Presley. None of what we have today would exist, including pop, if it weren't for Elvis. The 50's, 60's, and 70's are rightly considered the three greatest decades in music.

Between Lennon and Jackson, I'd say Lennon (that's who I voted for), but it's really not a fair choice because Jackson was as influential. The biggest difference, besides musical genre, is that Lennon was a social critic, whereas Jackson just wrote songs. Jackson didn't actually try to say anything. but beyond that... it's not really a fair question.

I think Elvis was just as "pop" as The Beatles. He made that type of music more acceptable to white audiences. In the same way, The Beatles made the British bands more acceptable to the audiences of the '60s. For example: without The Beatles, The Rollings Stones wouldn't have made the impact that they have.

How's it going "ledzep45" as well as our fellow die hard hard core ZEPPELIN fanatics? I hope all is well with you. I just got home from the bar after working a typical 8 hour day with my employer. What a day! I just realized, for the next two weeks starting next week are KNEBWORTH'S (4 & 11 August 1979) anniversaries. I'm going to do this year what I did last year. I'm going to show both complete shows in their entirety at two bars in San Antonio with excellent picture quality and in full glorious Dolby Stereo. I love watching both shows on the big screen, in brings both shows to life. Both bars are already advertising both shows on their big signs outside of their building and I feel confident that both bars will be totally packed like they were last year. I will bring both KNEBWORTH threads back from last year and get all of your thoughts and opinions of both shows.

Now, in reference to who made a bigger impact on music, it is without a doubt and hands down, JOHN LENNON along with THE BEATLES. THE BEATLES are the most influential band of all-time. If there was no BEATLES, there would be no JACKSON 5 or MICHAEL JACKSON. Why do you think that MICHAEL JACKSON purchased all of the BEATLES catalog? Because he knew that THE BEATLES were great and their music will live forever just like the mighty LED ZEPPELIN. ROCK ON!

(First part of your post, ZeppFanForever): Very cool! Sounds like that will be a great night to party! If i lived nearby, that just might warrant me finding a babysitter for a few hours :)

As for the rest of your post: WELL SAID!!! THE BEATLES!!!

(First part of your post, ZeppFanForever): Very cool! Sounds like that will be a great night to party! If i lived nearby, that just might warrant me finding a babysitter for a few hours :)

As for the rest of your post: WELL SAID!!! THE BEATLES!!!

Why hi "~tangerine~!" Its so good to hear from you. I wished that you lived nearby too because you would then be able to drink all you want for free since you would be hanging out with me. The most important thing is that you will be able to see both complete LED ZEPPELIN KNEBWORTH SHOWS from 4 & 11 August 1979. In my opinion, despite the mistakes, the band was on fire on both of those nights. However, the best show of the two was the first one (4 August 1979).

As for THE BEATLES, what I said is the truth. Thanks for your comment, you always help brighten my day. ROCK ON!

Archived