Who made a bigger impact on music...

ledzep45

Who made a bigger impact on music...  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who made a bigger impact on music...

• MJ
    • JL

...John Lennon (solo or with the beatles) or Michael Jackson (solo or with the Jackson 5)

I was having this conversation with my friend today. I was trying to persuade him but he just stuck with MJ (how is earth song a better peace song than Imagine :huh: )

So anyway, i dont want any arguments, only debates with points to show (eg, songs, experiences etc)

So, vote away!

Edit: sorry, i double topiced :rolleyes:

Why would you try to persuade anyone to change their opinion on something as subjective as musical taste? Can't someone like who and what they like and let that be that?

Like i said, i was just having a discussion with my friend, i wasnt persuading. Well, when i said i was, i meant i trying to explain to him what Imagine was but he wasnt taking any of it. I wasnt trying to change his musical taste or persuade him, i was merely trying to explain.

Why did you just post the same thread twice in two sub-forums?

I'll say the same thing I said in the other thread. I'm not really a fan of either's music, and neither had much impact on music in general, but they had much impact on pop/rock culture.

I thought it was me, but it was just one time, and sadly there were only four people there to witness it. Then the acid wore off and I couldn't remember the miracle chord. Subsequent attempts to recreate the moment brought no clear results.

Okay, seriously though. I believe John Lennon influenced Michael Jackson. Maybe not musically in a direct sense, but in his view of the world, which in turn became a theme throughout Jackson's career.

So logically, if Lennon's world view influenced Jackson, then Lennon's is the greater, because he had an influence on what made Jackson a great humanitarian.

All You Need is Love becomes We Are the World. ;)

The Beatles/John Lennon.

Like the song says, "Johnny was a school boy when he heard his first Beatle`s song".

How many great guitar players first picked up an electric guitar thanks to The Beatles?

Granted skiffle was alive during the 50s in Britain, both John Lennon and Jimmy Page were in skiffle bands.

Having lived through the 60s, 70s and beyond, I witnessed all the great British bands.

The Who, The Kinks, et al.

The Mersey Sound dominated the American airwaves and televison after The Bealtes appeared on The Ed Sullivan Show. I saw the broadcast in 1964 as a young child. There were even Beatle cartoons and being the cartoon freak I am, I saw them all.

American music left be-bop behind and returned to it`s rock and roll roots thanks to the Beatles.

The Beatles opened many more ears and doors than MJ ever did. IMHO

Motown/The Jackson 5 was alive and well but I am not aware how popular it was in Btitian.

You could even argue if it wasn`t for The Beatles, would Led Zeppelin have ever been so popular.

Since the poll was about MJ or John Lennon, I won`t mention Chuck Berry or Robert Johnson.

I said John Lennon. MJ was a huge influence on the world, but I really think that JL was a bigger one. John and Yoko both worked continuously for peace, outside of music. I know that MJ did too but I don't think he did to such an extent outside of his music.

That's just my opinion though.

Why did you just post the same thread twice in two sub-forums?

I did it because i thought i could make a poll on 'other bands/music' but i couldnt, so i thought that you must be able to make on ramble on so..there ya go ;)

Lennon was more of a Rock/Blues man and Jackson was a Pop star. I can't compare them but I would say that Lennon was a bigger influence on the musical world and Jackson was a bigger influence on the dancing scene.

Jackson had a good voice but was not a song writer until his later releases so, I don't think that his singing or writing skills will get him a vote for being an influence on any musical level (being as he was not a musician). But, he will be remembered as one of the most popular pop icon's ever and he did sell more album's than any other with "Thriller".

It was rather good fortune that as he grew up his voice changed but not so much as to change for the worst. I like the young Jackson singing voice ie when he was a kid better that the older voice but he didn't lose any talent from his voice changing when he became an adult.

Not sure how you can have a poll about musical impact that doesn't include Elvis, and the team of Lennon /McCartney amoung other's. Given the choices available I'll go with John Lennon. MJ's talent was undeniable but his impact was generally stuck on one style of music. Lennon's impact was more widespread and his collaborations with McCartney will live on forever. Even MJ knew that

Michael Jackson's early influences were Jackie Wilson and James Brown....but he served his musical apprenticeship with Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Junior Walker, The Funk Bros. and every other Motown act he was surrounded by since he was 10 years old. "Thriller" may have been released on Epic Records, but it was a Motown record through and through. It crossed racial and musical boundaries, you could dance to it, and the production was impeccable. He took a successful formula, added his influence, and updated it for the 80's. His reward was the greatest selling album of all-time. It was no mistake, and it was not luck. The rythyms and backbeats on "The Wall" and "Thriller" aren't far from the 60's sounds created by The Funk Bros. when they outsold The Beatles, The Stones, and The Beach Boys combined.

Who made a bigger impact on music is subjective, but Motown ran parallel to The Beatle' 60's success. Their formula, whether you like it or not, was well established before anyone knew who John Lennon even was.

Motown/The Jackson 5 was alive and well but I am not aware how popular it was in Btitian.

Two words....."Northern Soul" ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul

Lennon made a bigger impact on music but Jackson made a bigger impact on culture in general. His success along with his brothers and other black celebrities in the seventies and eighties paved the way for more blacks to succeed in a white-dominated country. His humanitarianism and philanthropy also were far greater than Lennon's and that inspired many pop stars to follow in his footsteps.

Michael Jackson's early influences were Jackie Wilson and James Brown....but he served his musical apprenticeship with Smokey Robinson, Diana Ross, Stevie Wonder, Marvin Gaye, Junior Walker, The Funk Bros. and every other Motown act he was surrounded by since he was 10 years old. "Thriller" may have been released on Epic Records, but it was a Motown record through and through. It crossed racial and musical boundaries, you could dance to it, and the production was impeccable. He took a successful formula, added his influence, and updated it for the 80's. His reward was the greatest selling album of all-time. It was no mistake, and it was not luck. The rythyms and backbeats on "The Wall" and "Thriller" aren't far from the 60's sounds created by The Funk Bros. when they outsold The Beatles, The Stones, and The Beach Boys combined.

Who made a bigger impact on music is subjective, but Motown ran parallel to The Beatle' 60's success. Their formula, whether you like it or not, was well established before anyone knew who John Lennon even was.

Two words....."Northern Soul" ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_soul

So what about the Atlantic Record's talent? Most defiantly before Motown.

Lennon made a bigger impact on music but Jackson made a bigger impact on culture in general. His success along with his brothers and other black celebrities in the seventies and eighties paved the way for more blacks to succeed in a white-dominated country. His humanitarianism and philanthropy also were far greater than Lennon's and that inspired many pop stars to follow in his footsteps.

I have to disagree with this, Lennon was once compared with "God"!!! That's really a joke by the way but, I can't see anything to compare with, "All You Need Is Love", and "Sargent Pepper". "Thriller" was a fantastic disc, as was "Bad", but I can't see an INFLUENCE on a musical level with ether of the two best album's of Jackson's, he was a stage commanding, trend setting, pop Icon nothing more.

I don't mean this in a bad way, Jackson will likely go down in the 20th century as being the biggest thing in pop music ever and you really can't deny that as ..... well, that's what he was. I can't compare him to Elvis ether as he was nothing like Jackson at all, maybe Jackson was one of Elvis's biggest fan's but that still will not give him any creditable likeness of his style of entertaining the world.

As for the OP's question about who was the bigger influence or impact on music I still say Jackson for his stage presence and over all pop style. And Lennon for his Rock/Blue's approach to song writing and playing music for a generation of Rock/Blue's music lover's.

I have to disagree with this, Lennon was once compared with "God"!!! That's really a joke by the way but, I can't see anything to compare with, "All You Need Is Love", and "Sargent Pepper". "Thriller" was a fantastic disc, as was "Bad", but I can't see an INFLUENCE on a musical level with ether of the two best album's of Jackson's, he was a stage commanding, trend setting, pop Icon nothing more.

That's why I said Lennon had the bigger musical impact...

That's why I said Lennon had the bigger musical impact...

Ok, I give you credit for that but as far as influencing a culture Lennon was more IMHO. That's why I mentioned "All You Need Is Love", Lennon was the key for the entire hippie generation and the whole "Make Love Not War" movement as well. Jackson was a dam good entertainer and was a huge influence on the 1980's dace act scene but this was nothing like the whole hippie culture.

So what about the Atlantic Record's talent? Most defiantly before Motown.

Agreed.....Is that yet another new option on the poll ? :blink:

Comparing the musical influences from Motown, Stax, Atlantic, and other record companies that historically featured black artists would be a very worthy discussion. There is no doubt that all three had a huge influence on rock and popular music.

I think Jackson would say John Lennon. Otherwise why would he have bought all those Beatles songs?

The Beatles' music is timeless, but who the hell does the Moonwalk anymore? :huh:

Archived