JOHN PAUL JONES New Project

The Pagemeister

Interview with John Paul Jones on the BBC Radio 1

Link on this thread:http://forum.themcrookedvultures.com/showthread.php?t=2565

That was sad what Jones said about the o2 gig, he was thinking about ways to change up the song the next night, but there wasn't a next night. So I'm glad he's doing this thing with TCV because I could sense that Jones really wanted that Zep reunion to happen.

West Coast dates announced:

WEST COAST PRESALE STARTS TOMORROW

Password: ******************

Presales starts Tomorrow, Thursday, October 29th at 10am

11-17 - Los Angeles, CA - The Wiltern

Tickets go on sale to the public Saturday, October 31st at 10am

11-19 - Oakland, CA - Fox Theater

Tickets go on sale to the public Sunday, November 1st at 10am

11-21 - Seattle - Paramount

11-22 - Portland - Roseland Theater

For immediate release

THEM CROOKED VULTURES ANNOUNCE DEBUT ALBUM

AND FIRST EVER PORTLAND DATE

More info at www.themcrookedvultures.com

Dave Grohl, Joshua Homme and John Paul Jones a/k/a Them Crooked Vultures' "New Fang" has been serviced to radio as of midnight Monday, October 26. The track is the first single from the band's self-titled debut album, due out November 17 in the United States and Canada on DGC/Interscope Records. Additionally, the band has announced its first ever shows in California and the Pacific Northwest, including a date at Portland’s Roseland Theater on Sunday November 22. Tickets on sale Saturday October 31 at 10 AM via Ticketswest.

THE SHOW:

THEM CROOKED VULTURES with special guests to be announced

• Sunday, November 22, 2009 @ Roseland Theater (Portland, OR)

• All Ages General Admission Show

• $44.50 Advance Ticket

ADVANCE TICKETS AVAILABLE:

• Online at TicketsWest.com

• At all Safeway Ticketswest outlets and the Roseland Theater Box Office

• Charge by phone at 800.992.TIXX

• Subject to service charge and or user fee

CONTACT INFO

• Promoter Marketing

Anthony Bayles I Ph: 503.223.5833 I Email: anthonyb@monqui.com

• Label Publicity

Nasty Little Man I 212.343.0740

Them Crooked Vultures Album - First Listen

By Luke Lewis New Musical Express

Posted on 28/10/09 at 04:08:11 pm

Them Crooked Vultures - the super-group formed by Dave Grohl, Josh Homme and Led Zeppelin's John Paul Jones release their self-titled debut album on November 17. There will be a full, considered review in the issue of NME onsale the week before that, but seeing as we've just had the album on the stereo, here's a snap, first-listen, track-by-track response.

No One Loves Me

Kicks off with an itchy, bluesy riff before settling into a libidinous sex-groove in the tradition of QOTSA's 'Make It Wit Chu' (sample lyric: "She said, I got a beautiful place to put your face and she was right"). Mutates into a skronking wig-out halfway through.

Mind Eraser No Chaser

Dave Grohl and Josh Homme trade vocals over a deranged, stop-start riff, like The Knack's 'My Sharona' fed through a mincer. Imagine QOTSA's 'Monsters In The Parasol' crossed with one of the nastier, more guttural Foos tracks, like 'Low'. Somewhat incongruously, it climaxes with an oompah brass band outro.

New Fang

You can hear this on MySpace. Staccato rhythms and wildly ricocheting slide guitar combine on this maniacal blues number, vaguely reminiscent of Primus, only not as irritating.

Dead End Friends

Basically the riff from Rocket From The Crypt's 'On A Rope', criss-crossed with stringy tendrils of bottleneck guitar.

Elephants

A highlight of their Brixton show, it's a frantic, seven-minute-long update on one of those hell-for-leather Led Zeppelin tracks like 'Rock N Roll'. Then it goes all cosmic and trippy. Appears to be a warped fuck-you to a former lover: "No, I can never stay melancholy with you for long, before I move on…"

Scumbag Blues

Features a piercingly high vocal from Josh. Dense and psychedelic, punctured by passages of funky clavichord. More of a jam than an actual song. Fun, though.

Bandoliers

Has a vague Mexican flavour, summoning images of Grohl, Homme and Jones on horseback, performing a bank heist in some frontier dustbowl town. "Take aim then fire", howls Josh, recalling The White Stripes' Hispanic-hued track 'Conquest'.

Reptiles

A druggy, swampy, acoustic-backed blues. Very 'Desert Sessions'.

Interludes With Ludes

More druggy meandering. "I know together we'll make the possible totally impossible" slurs Josh, conjuring a 'Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas'-style sense of a drugs-party gone terribly wrong: "I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I am…"

Warsaw Or The First Breath You Take

Seven and a half minutes of impenetrable riffing. You'll skip this one.

Caligulove

A squalling, wah-wah pedal 'workout'. Continues Josh's tiresome habit on this album of presenting himself as an unstoppable, marauding sexual predator. "I'm the trigger, quick to fire, punctuate betwixt the eyes". Not sure being 'quick to fire' is quite the romantic association you're after, Josh…

Gunman

Opens with a cleansing blast of piano. Then more hoary, heads-down noodling.

Spinning In The Daffodils

A final, seven minute-plus, psych-rock orgy to bring things to a climax. You'll probably want a lie down and a cigarette at this point.

First-Listen Verdict: This is evidently more Josh Homme's record than it is Dave Grohl's, or John Paul Jones's. It's a muso's album: guitarists will love it. And it sounds like it was immensely fun to record you can practically feel the heat from the amps. White Stripes fans will no doubt get a kick out of it. But if you're hoping for hummable, Foo Fighters-style hooks, forget it.

http://www.nme.com/b...1&pb=1#more7454

Them Crooked Vultures / Josh Homme Interview (w/ Bonus Footage)

Dave Grohl Interview KUT 90.5 Austin - Them Crooked Vultures

Great Interviews!! Thank you so much. :D You can tell how excited they are playing with each other, especially Dave.

I just picked up two tickets for the Los Angeles show at the Wiltern on 11/17 the day the album comes out. :yay: Was shocked how easy it was to get tickets at a small venue like the Wiltern. The wife logged on and bingo!! :drool: I figure I'll buy the album in the morning, give it a proper listen, minimum 20 times :thumbsup: multiple pints and then off to the show :drumz:

This band just oozes cool and I can't wait to see them.

Great Interviews!! Thank you so much. :D You can tell how excited they are playing with each other, especially Dave.

I just picked up two tickets for the Los Angeles show at the Wiltern on 11/17 the day the album comes out. :yay: Was shocked how easy it was to get tickets at a small venue like the Wiltern. The wife logged on and bingo!! :drool: I figure I'll buy the album in the morning, give it a proper listen, minimum 20 times :thumbsup: multiple pints and then off to the show :drumz:

This band just oozes cool and I can't wait to see them.

Stevedore, your welcome. I always enjoy hearing from them personally. You will have to fill us in on the 11/17 show :yesnod:

Archived