FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

A few words about winter skin...

With the arrival of colder temperatures comes the need to crank up the heat, hence producing desert like environments, sucking the life, literally, out of our skin! What can we do?

First, understand what moisturizers are designed to do. I know what you're thinking, 'just slap more on', right? Not necessarily. Moisturizers are made to do one thing: to act as a barrier to prevent evaporation and help the skin MAINTAIN moisture that is already in the skin. Got it?

Second, are you using that same cleanser youve been using since the summer? Does it foam up? You really ought to think about switching to a creamy cleanser, especially at night. The emollients used in these products emulsify other products like foundation and sunscreen, allowing for better removal of these products. They also leave the skin feeling softer, rather than tight like some gel/foamy cleansers. This is due to the fact that gel cleansers often contain detergents that strip away the skins natural protective barrier.

Lastly, a couple other minor changes in our daily habits can make a big difference. Using a humidifier in your bedroom is an easy way to help out dry winter skin. Drink more water than you normally do. And for heavens sake wear a scarf over your face to block out that evil bitter air!

And for my fellow makeup wearers.

Get you some Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer! My new addiction is the anti-aging formula. :-)

• 1 month later...

Use toner.

I know.

It looks like water and you think "do I really need that"?

In a word...yes.

The most compelling reason I have to convince you of the need for toner in your skin care routine is tap water. Not only does toner remove cosmetic residue like makeup and sunscreen, but it removes the residue left behind on the skin from the tap. Chlorine, fluoride and sodium are present in most water supplies, and when left on the skin can cause irritation, leading to premature aging. Nobody wants that!

Toners are easy to use, so no more excuses!

• 2 months later...

Talk about bad timing. During a commercial timeout late in the Clipper game last night, a commercial about a Transvaginal Mesh lawsuit came on. Transvaginal what? :blink:

I am almost afraid to look it up...I am thinking maybe it has something to do with vaginal rejuvenation surgery, clinics for which are all over the place here in Southern California. Can any woman here shed any light on what the heck this is?

Talk about bad timing. During a commercial timeout late in the Clipper game last night, a commercial about a Transvaginal Mesh lawsuit came on. Transvaginal what? :blink:

I am almost afraid to look it up...I am thinking maybe it has something to do with vaginal rejuvenation surgery, clinics for which are all over the place here in Southern California. Can any woman here shed any light on what the heck this is?

I had to google it

http://www.vaginalmeshlawsuitcenter.net/

• 2 months later...

maui_babe_browning_lotion_4_oz_front1.jp

Have any of you ladies tried this? I found it earlier in the season. It works really well.

Hi lipslikecherries!

I am a licensed esthetician, in other words, a skin freak of sorts, so I gotta know more about this!

Im intrigued by the term 'browning lotion'

Is it a tanning lotion or a sunless tanning product?

Hi lipslikecherries!

I am a licensed esthetician, in other words, a skin freak of sorts, so I gotta know more about this!

Im intrigued by the term 'browning lotion'

Is it a tanning lotion or a sunless tanning product?

Yes it is a tanning lotion. It is called an 'expedient'; a deeper tan in a short amount of time.

:slapface: GIRLS! STOP TANNING!!!!!!

If you were born with white skin, get over it and leave it white ........

If you're interested... I wasn't born with white skin but I had spent a lot of time in doors over the past year and was quite pale. I needed a bit of help conditioning my skin for the sun. I don't need use it anymore. I tan quicker/better without lotion. But it works good better than oil. It's a bit of a mess though on clothes if you're not careful. Just offering my opinion slave to zep. :)

We weren't born to not have our flesh exposed to large amounts of sunlight. Well except our beautiful ginger folk. :D If we didn't have computers we would still be outside working. :) It is interesting that having tan skin used to mean you were of lower class because you were working out in the sun all day. Now it is the upper crust who are known to be tan because they have the free time to enjoy the sun while the lower class folk are inside working all day.

If you're interested... I wasn't born with white skin but I had spent a lot of time in doors over the past year and was quite pale. I needed a bit of help conditioning my skin for the sun. I don't need use it anymore. I tan quicker/better without lotion. But it works good better than oil. It's a bit of a mess though on clothes if you're not careful. Just offering my opinion slave to zep. :)

We weren't born to not have our flesh exposed to large amounts of sunlight. Well except our beautiful ginger folk. :D If we didn't have computers we would still be outside working. :) It is interesting that having tan skin used to mean you were of lower class because you were working out in the sun all day. Now it is the upper crust who are known to be tan because they have the free time to enjoy the sun while the lower class folk are inside working all day.

Didn't mean to offend anyone, just pointing out the dangers of skin cancer :)

I'm a natural red head and can only imagine myself with a tan.....I would look totally ridiculous. And yes, even though I'm covered in the usually freckles/Celtic skin look...I'm on top of the whole painting myself with sun block head to toe. And I really mean paint, I find it now that the meds I take for RA has thinned my skin ever so slightly and my skin feels more sensitive than ever to the sun. But you know what....I prefer the whole Celtic look, I think tans, especially fake ones very tacky.

But it's true about a few centuries ago that it was deeply unfashionable with the upper crusts to sport a tan. Having a tan showed that you were poor and spent your days out in the fields or begging in all weathers whilst the hoity toity stayed indoors smothering themselves (or rather get some lacky to do it for them) in white lead/arsenic based cosmetics to make themselves look pale as possible. The paler you were, the higher in the uber snobbery stakes you were.

How things have so much changed.

Edited by SozoZoso

I don't mean to intrude on a "woman's only" thread, but as lipslikecherries and SozoZoso pointed out, it's interesting how the perception of tanned skin and social class has changed over the centuries. ("Ladies" once prided themselves on their pale skin, etc.) I would suggest the women here be careful not to over-expose themselves to the sun. Skin cancer is a real threat to all of us, and skin damage due to sun overexposure is too: It's not attractive to see a 30 or 40-something year old woman with the tough, leathery, lined skin of an old, veteran sailor.

Edited by Pagefan55

I'm a natural red head and can only imagine myself with a tan.....I would look totally ridiculous. And yes, even though I'm covered in the usually freckles/Celtic skin look...I'm on top of the whole painting myself with sun block head to toe. And I really mean paint, I find it now that the meds I take for RA has thinned my skin ever so slightly and my skin feels more sensitive than ever to the sun. But you know what....I prefer the whole Celtic look, I think tans, especially fake ones very tacky.

But it's true about a few centuries ago that it was deeply unfashionable with the upper crusts to sport a tan. Having a tan showed that you were poor and spent your days out in the fields or begging in all weathers whilst the hoity toity stayed indoors smothering themselves (or rather get some lacky to do it for them) in white lead/arsenic based cosmetics to make themselves look pale as possible. The paler you were, the higher in the uber snobbery stakes you were.

How things have so much changed.

Be yourself, you're a beautiful woman! :) And I agree, spray tans are awful and unnatural looking.

I don't mean to intrude on a "woman's only" thread, but as lipslikecherries and SozoZoso pointed out, it's interesting how the perception of tanned skin and social class has changed over the centuries. ("Ladies" once prided themselves on their pale skin, etc.) I would suggest the women here be careful not to over-expose themselves to the sun. Skin cancer is a real threat to all of us, and skin damage due to sun overexposure is too: It's not attractive to see a 30 or 40-something year old woman with the tough, leathery, lined skin of an old, veteran sailor.

I agree, Pagefan55, leathery skin is no good. Scary even. Like everything, the sun should be taken in moderation. Not looking for cancer here! But I would much rather sit under the sun than visit a tanning bed. You can actually cook your organs inside those things.

I don't understand why so many girls/women want a tan all the time. Where I live, you don't have a natural tan unless you've been abroad, and yet if you go out in the summer it seems everyone has brown (or worse, orange) skin. It's not natural, not here, and I don't think it really makes you any more attractive. But that's clearly just me, as I appear to be one of very few young women who has white skin all year around.

I don't understand why so many girls/women want a tan all the time. Where I live, you don't have a natural tan unless you've been abroad, and yet if you go out in the summer it seems everyone has brown (or worse, orange) skin. It's not natural, not here, and I don't think it really makes you any more attractive. But that's clearly just me, as I appear to be one of very few young women who has white skin all year around.

It just depends on where you're from. There is nothing wrong with white skin. People are more attractive generally in their natural appearance.

I actually don't like tans, either real or fake. A smattering of freckles is more attractive I think, but yes...I'm proud of my pale/freckly Celtic complection

In fact, not one for blowing my own trumpet but having natural pale skin plus drinking buckets of water does make you young. I'm 37 coming 38 this Christmas and one of the ladiea in my archery club thought I was a 22 year old student (I told that lady she was my new best friend! lol), in fact I always get comments on my age. I have seen loads of young girls that look older than they are, thanks to tans.

In fact, anyone can quote me if I'm wrong, but I did read somewhere online that fake tan makes you fat?!? It's something to with chemicals in the tanning products.

I heard when Queen Elizabeth I died they scraped something like 4 inches of makeup off her face. This is a random thought but it really belongs in this thread I think. Thoughts ladies? :D

Random thought sparked by SozoZoso's paint art, which was lovely by the way. :)

Edited by lipslikecherries

I swear by this stuff for my face, it's paraben free and it's so gentle without taking layers of skin off. But It's now very hard to buy it now, I don't know if they have discontinued it.

3154317.jpg Even the whole Inecto coconut range for skin and hair is just magic. I recommend it for anyone who doesn't like perfume/chemical based products.

I swear by this stuff for my face, it's paraben free and it's so gentle without taking layers of skin off. But It's now very hard to buy it now, I don't know if they have discontinued it.

3154317.jpg Even the whole Inecto coconut range for skin and hair is just magic. I recommend it for anyone who doesn't like perfume/chemical based products.

That stuff sounds great.

This has just come out on the market within the last few months. It doesn't have salicylic acid in it, which seems to be in everything, and it is the enemy of my skin! This stuff has, by far, given me the deepest clean I have ever had from a face wash. There is no irritation and it has a nice tingle to it! :D I highly recommend it.

Biore-Deep-Pore-Charcoal-Cleanser.jpg