FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

guys, sorry you will not like this thread, so enter at your own risk, ok! :o

hello ladies.

i think i could be pre menopausal, :unsure: and have been asking a few friends about how it was for them when they first started getting symptoms. there are so many! i think i had my first hot flush the other week ( yuck! ) have any of you ladies used soy products? there seems to be a link with an increased risk of breast cancer attached to it, so i am a bit wary of that, as my mother died very young ( 41 ) from breast cancer. :(

please feel free to talk about this, or any other health issues, we may be able to help eachother out. :)

Edited by slave to zep

guys, sorry you will not like this thread, so enter at your own risk, ok! :o

hello ladies.

i think i could be pre menopausal, :unsure: and have been asking a few friends about how it was for them when they first started getting symptoms. there are so many! i think i had my first hot flush the other week ( yuck! ) have any of you ladies used soy products? there seems to be a link with an increased risk of breast cancer attached to it, so i am a bit wary of that, as my mother died very young ( 41 ) from breast cancer. :(

please feel free to talk about this, or any other health issues, we may be able to help eachother out. :)

Hello Slave to Zep!

So far thank God I have been heathy. Just be careful with any kind of hormones as so many of these have horrific side effects. I worked the Pharmaceutical market in my job for many years and while a lot of the drugs are helpful--really read up on the side effects and decide.

Sorry to hear that your Mom left this world at such a young age. I am sure you are getting a mammogram each year since you have history in your family.

Hmm, I didn't know soy products carried a risk of breast cancer, that's worrisome. (I have a big family history of it, too, and do the yearly mammogram, etc.) Especially as I drink soy milk every day.

Hey, was that Bong-Man I just saw? :huh:

There's been some studies that show soy products can increase your chances. If you eat soy, better to have it fermented - tempeh and seitan are good examples. I've spoken to nutritionists on this as I eat soy as well - they said a serving a day isn't excessive and you should be fine.

Hello Slave to Zep!

So far thank God I have been heathy. Just be careful with any kind of hormones as so many of these have horrific side effects. I worked the Pharmaceutical market in my job for many years and while a lot of the drugs are helpful--really read up on the side effects and decide.

Sorry to hear that your Mom left this world at such a young age. I am sure you are getting a mammogram each year since you have history in your family.

hi deborah j

i havent started on any hormones yet, i havent even been diagnosed by a dr, but i just think that i might be getting close to starting menopause. monthly cramping has become bad again, kinda like when you first start, and as i say i had a hot flush the other day. i have aquired a heart condition that has been diagnosed by a cardiologist as being non life threatening. it makes me have weird " extra " beats. he says they don't really know what brings this on, and it can come and go, and i don't need any meds for it, just kinda " live with it ", which i can now that i know my heart is healthy and this isn't causing any damage.

i wish i could say i have a mammogram each year ....... but i don't. dreadful, i know. i aim to have one soon thogh. one reason ( or excuse ) is that they are not free until you are 50 here, i am 47. but yeah, i will have one soon.

thanks for your input!

Hmm, I didn't know soy products carried a risk of breast cancer, that's worrisome. (I have a big family history of it, too, and do the yearly mammogram, etc.) Especially as I drink soy milk every day.

Hey, was that Bong-Man I just saw? :huh:

hi aquamarine

yes i have been told by a few different people that excess soy can be a problem. a woman who owns a health food shop ( don't know if she has any qualifications or anything ), told me that soy products have something called phytoeostogens (sp ? ) and too much eostrogen can be a factor with breast cancer.

however, i just got the book " the wisdom of menopause " bydr christiane northrup. i first saw her on the oprah show. she says as long as you eat whole soy products, and not just supplements, they are highly beneficial to the body, and not just for menopause. she advocates consuming whole soy everyday.

thanks for dropping in, aquamarine. i am sorry for your family history too. my mother only had one sister, and she is alve and well at 75, never had a sick day in her life. and my grandmother lived till 82. my mother was a non - smoker, breast fed her kids, played sport .....etc etc. she was just one of those unlucky ones. :(

anyone else have an opinion on this ?

hi aquamarine

yes i have been told by a few different people that excess soy can be a problem. a woman who owns a health food shop ( don't know if she has any qualifications or anything ), told me that soy products have something called phytoeostogens (sp ? ) and too much eostrogen can be a factor with breast cancer.

however, i just got the book " the wisdom of menopause " bydr christiane northrup. i first saw her on the oprah show. she says as long as you eat whole soy products, and not just supplements, they are highly beneficial to the body, and not just for menopause. she advocates consuming whole soy everyday.

thanks for dropping in, aquamarine. i am sorry for your family history too. my mother only had one sister, and she is alve and well at 75, never had a sick day in her life. and my grandmother lived till 82. my mother was a non - smoker, breast fed her kids, played sport .....etc etc. she was just one of those unlucky ones. :(

Seems a crap-shoot who gets affected by these things sometimes, doesn't it? :( In my family's case, it's all the women on my father's side of the family.

From what you and ninelives say, it sounds as if soy in moderation is safe, so that's good to know!

Seems a crap-shoot who gets affected by these things sometimes, doesn't it? :( In my family's case, it's all the women on my father's side of the family.

From what you and ninelives say, it sounds as if soy in moderation is safe, so that's good to know!

yes, cancer seems to strike even the healthiest at times, doesn't it. i guess all we can do is try to and lessen our chances. i actually had thyroid cancer at 30. before i got it, i hadn't even heard of it. nobody else in my family has had that either, or even anyone i know.

yes, i agree, i think ( as with most things ) soy in moderation is actually good for you. i am going to try and have a glass of soy milk a day.

I've experienced something similar too; with racing heart beats, and extra beats, as well as insomnia and some night sweats (about 3 years ago). I had a bunch of cardiac tests run, and was diagnosed with benign PAC (premature atrial complex). After trying a couple of other blood pressure meds, I ended up on a beta blocker and that has almost eliminated those symptoms (and brought my blood pressure down too).

The episodes seemed to coincide with times when my hormones were fluctuating, but at the time, my doctors thought I was too young for it to be related to hormones (now they agree though).

Initially I gave up caffeine completely (even chocolate) for maybe 2-3 months, until the beta blockers kicked in. I also began getting regular cardio exercise (that's mainly why I'm running now) and gave up aspartame, which was beginning to cause headaches, bloating and tingling in my fingers and toes :(

I haven't taken any hormones; I'm hoping to let nature take it's course and just exercise the symptoms away as much as possible. It's unsettling when your body chemistry changes like that and things that never bothered you before begin to suddenly <_<

Edited by Virginia

I've experienced something similar too; with racing heart beats, and extra beats, as well as insomnia and some night sweats (about 3 years ago). I had a bunch of cardiac tests run, and was diagnosed with benign PAC (premature atrial complex). After trying a couple of other blood pressure meds, I ended up on a beta blocker and that has almost eliminated those symptoms (and brought my blood pressure down too).

The episodes seemed to coincide with times when my hormones were fluctuating, but at the time, my doctors thought I was too young for it to be related to hormones (now they agree though).

Initially I gave up caffeine completely (even chocolate) for maybe 2-3 months, until the beta blockers kicked in. I also began getting regular cardio exercise (that's mainly why I'm running now) and gave up aspartame, which was beginning to cause headaches, bloating and tingling in my fingers and toes :(

I haven't taken any hormones; I'm hoping to let nature take it's course and just exercise the symptoms away as much as possible. It's unsettling when your body chemistry changes like that and things that never bothered you before begin to suddenly <_<

ooh i hadn't heard about that, i use a bit of that in my tea and coffee ....... :unsure:

and insomnia ..argh yes! i have had that for over a year now. it's infuriating, isn't it!!! :angry:

hi aquamarine

Not to lecture but PLEASE get a mammogram my friend :):kiss:

I think it's what your genes are predisposed to I would suspect. My aunt had breast cancer and a double mastectomy but she was a heavy smoker and when she went through menopause, back then she was put on really high doses of estrogen which I think they don't do or you're balanced out with progesteren - I'm not exactly sure how that is. I would say if you suspect you're entering menopause, see your gynocologist and discuss the different options.

Good idea for a thread Slave!

I think all aspects of women's health are worth discussing, though--there are all sorts of issues that affect women at all stages of our lives. :P Problems involving menstruation, for instance, or pregnancy. There's no end to the things that can cause havoc to the female body, it seems!

And if certain products are going to be problematic, good to know about them early. :)

Yep. In my family, breast cancer runs on my mom's side of the family. My aunt died from it when she was 39, and my other aunt was diagnosed when she was 42 (thankfully she's still here). My grandma also had it about ten years ago (and thankfully she's still here too). But I'm afraid for my mom and myself. If we don't get it, it will be a miracle! I'm still pretty young (23) but I worry for my mom, my aunt, and my grandma.

As far as myself, I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And I've struggled with anemia also. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with hypothyroidism? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I've researched it a little already. It makes you really fatigued. (No wonder I've been sleeping so much lately!! ;) )

Great thread, by the way!

Del, Del, Del... :rolleyes:

I was actually wondering WHAT KIND of smartass comment he had, not whether he had one. ;)

Listen here Little Miss Manderspie....

that's the new name I gave you...

Hey, have you heard from Hillary and Norgay? I really miss those two girls. I hope they are well.

Oh, sorry. I'm off topic.

Yep. In my family, breast cancer runs on my mom's side of the family. My aunt died from it when she was 39, and my other aunt was diagnosed when she was 42 (thankfully she's still here). My grandma also had it about ten years ago (and thankfully she's still here too). But I'm afraid for my mom and myself. If we don't get it, it will be a miracle! I'm still pretty young (23) but I worry for my mom, my aunt, and my grandma.

As far as myself, I've been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. And I've struggled with anemia also. Does anyone have any tips for dealing with hypothyroidism? Any info would be greatly appreciated! I've researched it a little already. It makes you really fatigued. (No wonder I've been sleeping so much lately!! ;) )

Great thread, by the way!

thankyou! as aquamarine said, it doesn't have to just be about menopause. ANY issue is welcome to be discussed here. and any ages are welcome. ( though i don't know why del feels the need to come in here, there are MANY other threads, or he could start his own ......)

as for hypothyroidism ...... make sure your dr is prescribing enough thyroxine. you shouldnt have to feel fatigued all the time. when i first started taking it, i was on too low a dose, and i stacked on the weight. your thyroid gland controls metabolism and body temp, so get the levels checked regularly.

I just want to remind you girls to be sure that you are getting enough vitamin F in your diet.

If you don't know where to get vitamin F, just pm me and I can hook you up.

Del! This is what I am talking about when it comes to your Republican beliefs. I thoght that was the party for morality??????

Hope I'm not interrupting but I just wanted to say that I feel for you ladies when health problems arise as you have all the other every day issues.

When I'm in the clinic getting my treatments I'm always thinking of the women old and young that are going through the same thing and having to deal with all the other things besides the chemo side effects.

I try to keep a positive attitude and bring a smile to the others around me and it really makes me feel good as well.

So good health to you all and keep a positive attitude.

Charlie. :)

Hope I'm not interrupting but I just wanted to say that I feel for you ladies when health problems arise as you have all the other every day issues.

When I'm in the clinic getting my treatments I'm always thinking of the women old and young that are going through the same thing and having to deal with all the other things besides the chemo side effects.

I try to keep a positive attitude and bring a smile to the others around me and it really makes me feel good as well.

So good health to you all and keep a positive attitude.

Charlie. :)

:kiss: That's really lovely mate. Your positive attitude and perserverance are really so inspiring and admirable. Cheers :beer: