FOR WOMEN ONLY

slave to zep

Quite a stunner to read about Angelina Jolie's decision to have a preemptive double-mastectomy. I would think there is many differing points of view and emotions among the women here. I know several women who have gone through breast cancer and mainly their reaction has been positive and supportive.

For those who haven't seen it yet, here is Jolie's original op-ed piece in yesterday's New York Times:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html

Here is a reaction piece from this morning's NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/05/15/184166941/angelina-jolies-mastectomy-decision-and-weighing-cancer-risks

i just heard about this yesterday.

it is a radical thing to do, imo, but i am sure she had lots of good advice.

my mother had breast cancer, but she seems to be just an unlucky one in our family, her mother and sister didn't have it.

i could go and get the dna test done, but am a bit scared to .....

Quite a stunner to read about Angelina Jolie's decision to have a preemptive double-mastectomy. I would think there is many differing points of view and emotions among the women here. I know several women who have gone through breast cancer and mainly their reaction has been positive and supportive.

For those who haven't seen it yet, here is Jolie's original op-ed piece in yesterday's New York Times:

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/05/14/opinion/my-medical-choice.html

Here is a reaction piece from this morning's NPR:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/health/2013/05/15/184166941/angelina-jolies-mastectomy-decision-and-weighing-cancer-risks

Glad she chose her health and being around for her husband and kids over being a sex symbol for men (and some women) to gawk at.

my mother had breast cancer, but she seems to be just an unlucky one in our family, her mother and sister didn't have it.

Bingo, slave. You hit the nail on the head.

'Knowing' robs the patient of hope. Would you want to know you were going to get a disease for which there is no cure?

What most patients also have to fear besides diagnosis is insurance coverage, something Ms Jolie is spared because of her particular circumstances. Nothing wrong with that, but...genetic testing is risky business.

The December 24, 2012 issue of "Time" magazine deals with this very important and life altering decision. I highly recommend it.

That's all for now.

p.s. the BRCA (pronounced "brac") also reveals risk of ovarian cancer, which has little to no screening available.

Edited by planted

Yes it was. Particularly for an actress like Angelina Jolie. Hollywood is such a looks driven industry.

Bingo, slave. You hit the nail on the head.

'Knowing' robs the patient of hope. Would you want to know you were going to get a disease for which there is no cure?

What most patients also have to fear besides diagnosis is insurance coverage, something Ms Jolie is spared because of her particular circumstances. Nothing wrong with that, but...genetic testing is risky business.

The December 24, 2012 issue of "Time" magazine deals with this very important and life altering decision. I highly recommend it.

That's all for now.

p.s. the BRCA (pronounced "brac") also reveals risk of ovarian cancer, which has little to no screening available.

saw this on facebook today .... make of it what you will ...

http://www.naturalnews.com/040349_Angelina_Jolie_breast_cancer_surgery.html

• 2 months later...

i am 51 years old. isn't your hair supposed to get drier as we age?

i am having to wash it every day or two because it gets so oily near the scalp.

am going in today for a cut and maybe a colour ....

my skin is getting drier though... what is your favourite facial moisuriser and shampoo? ( i know this was discussed early in the thread, but there are new members since then :) )

I know this is a woman's thread, but I need a woman's opinion.

After a three year relationship, my girlfriend last week decided she didn't feel in love with me anymore. This week I get an e-mail from her saying she still feels that way, but wants to "stay friends" and is "open to hanging out". Certainly not easy to do when we will be living 3000 miles apart starting next month.

So my question to you you ladies is: What do you gals mean by this?

1) Just a statement to assuage your guilt of breaking up in the first place - you really have no desire to be friends?

2) Keep us as a "back-up" until you find the next relationship or in case the next one doesn't work out you can pull us out like an accessory when you need one?

3) You genuinely don't want to break-up and are using this as an attempt to hold onto what's left of the relationship?

My heart tells me one thing (ooooh, pick #3!), but my brain tells me this is just a feminine ploy.

What do you think?

After a three year relationship, my girlfriend last week decided she didn't feel in love with me anymore. This week I get an e-mail from her saying she still feels that way, but wants to "stay friends" and is "open to hanging out". Certainly not easy to do when we will be living 3000 miles apart starting next month.

1) Just a statement to assuage your guilt of breaking up in the first place - you really have no desire to be friends?

2) Keep us as a "back-up" until you find the next relationship or in case the next one doesn't work out you can pull us out like an accessory when you need one?

3) You genuinely don't want to break-up and are using this as an attempt to hold onto what's left of the relationship?

My heart tells me one thing (ooooh, pick #3!), but my brain tells me this is just a feminine ploy.

What do you think?

it's hard to say without knowing you both personally.

i have been able to remain friendly with a couple of past partners, ie when i see them, we can still say hello etc.

but if she says she doesn't love you, then i wouldn't get too excited. what's the point if you wont be seeing each other? it's always nice to be friendly, but that's different to being "friends "... maybe she doesn't want you to find someone else and forget her ( in case she wants you back ) but that's just not cool, imho.

a song for you ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnQuYv5gY-g

Edited by slave to zep

i am 51 years old. isn't your hair supposed to get drier as we age?

i am having to wash it every day or two because it gets so oily near the scalp.

am going in today for a cut and maybe a colour ....

my skin is getting drier though... what is your favourite facial moisuriser and shampoo? ( i know this was discussed early in the thread, but there are new members since then :) )

For moisturizer, during the day, I either use Neutrogena with SPF 35 (if I'll be outside), or Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. At night I use Cera Ve PM; I have combination skin and some areas of very dry skin; this is what the dermatologist recommended and it's helped a lot. I've also really liked Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer, but it's pricey. This other combination is working for now.

For washing my face, I use something really mild, like a bar of Dove soap or Clinique little soaps. I can't use fancy cleansers or expensive cosmetics because for some reason they make my skin break out; especially around my eyes. I think it's the fragrances. I can't use products by Mary Kay, Lancome, Estee Lauder etc., although Clinique is fine.

Getting rid of sugar and dairy seems to have improved my skin too (yay!) :)

For shampoo/conditioner, I buy whatever "For color treated hair" formula is on sale or for which I have a coupon. Pantene, Dove, etc. My hair tends to be dry and I use a lot of conditioner. I like the Neutrogena mask that comes in a jar, and I use a little bit of leave-in conditioner too (Garnier Fructis). Leave-ins are hard to find!

You might want to try a clarifying shampoo, Neutrogena is one; or maybe add it into rotation a couple of times per week. They tend to strip your hair a bit more than the moisturizing shampoos. We always have some version on hand for our swimmers; as they are great at getting the chlorine out. There's a Suave kids' brand of swimmer shampoo that's clarifying but might be a bit milder, that you could try too; here it comes in an orange bottle.

My hairdresser also recommended going a few rounds with Ultraswim (another clarifying / anti-chlorine shampoo) when I accidentally colored my hair the wrong shade and needed to tone it down :) It helped fade the color faster.

For moisturizer, during the day, I either use Neutrogena with SPF 35 (if I'll be outside), or Clinique Dramatically Different Moisturizing Lotion. At night I use Cera Ve PM; I have combination skin and some areas of very dry skin; this is what the dermatologist recommended and it's helped a lot. I've also really liked Aveeno Positively Radiant moisturizer, but it's pricey. This other combination is working for now.

For washing my face, I use something really mild, like a bar of Dove soap or Clinique little soaps. I can't use fancy cleansers or expensive cosmetics because for some reason they make my skin break out; especially around my eyes. I think it's the fragrances. I can't use products by Mary Kay, Lancome, Estee Lauder etc., although Clinique is fine.

Getting rid of sugar and dairy seems to have improved my skin too (yay!) :)

For shampoo/conditioner, I buy whatever "For color treated hair" formula is on sale or for which I have a coupon. Pantene, Dove, etc. My hair tends to be dry and I use a lot of conditioner. I like the Neutrogena mask that comes in a jar, and I use a little bit of leave-in conditioner too (Garnier Fructis). Leave-ins are hard to find!

You might want to try a clarifying shampoo, Neutrogena is one; or maybe add it into rotation a couple of times per week. They tend to strip your hair a bit more than the moisturizing shampoos. We always have some version on hand for our swimmers; as they are great at getting the chlorine out. There's a Suave kids' brand of swimmer shampoo that's clarifying but might be a bit milder, that you could try too; here it comes in an orange bottle.

My hairdresser also recommended going a few rounds with Ultraswim (another clarifying / anti-chlorine shampoo) when I accidentally colored my hair the wrong shade and needed to tone it down :) It helped fade the color faster.

thanks so much, Virginia! :)

we are very similar ... i use just plain water or sometimes mild soap to cleanse my face, followed by oil of olay.

i try to change shampoos every bottle ... have tried all those brands you mentioned - using the fructis one for colour treated hair atm ...

haven't seen those swimmers ones, will look out for them.

i had about 6 inches cut off my hair on friday, and got the colour stripped out and a medium brown ( my original colour before grey! ) put back in. it feels lovely and soft atm ....

:)

What do you think?

She may like you as a person but doesn't think the two of you can go the distance as a couple.

• 4 weeks later...

She may like you as a person but doesn't think the two of you can go the distance as a couple.

That's pretty much how I read the situation. The heart can be a fickle little muscle...it wants what it wants and often there is no rhyme or reason to it. Oh, and the sell-by date may be very short.

Just have to lick your wounds and move on.

thanks so much, Virginia! :)

we are very similar ... i use just plain water or sometimes mild soap to cleanse my face, followed by oil of olay.

i try to change shampoos every bottle ... have tried all those brands you mentioned - using the fructis one for colour treated hair atm ...

haven't seen those swimmers ones, will look out for them.

i had about 6 inches cut off my hair on friday, and got the colour stripped out and a medium brown ( my original colour before grey! ) put back in. it feels lovely and soft atm ....

:)

Barbara+Cartland+1.jpg

That's pretty much how I read the situation. The heart can be a fickle little muscle...it wants what it wants and often there is no rhyme or reason to it. Oh, and the sell-by date may be very short.

Just have to lick your wounds and move on.

I would add that while it's great if you and she can remain friends after you break up, you're under no obligation to do so. If being around her after the breakup is too painful, keep your distance for a while. Once she breaks up with you, you're under no obligation to put her feelings ahead of your own.

A word about the newest creams:

You may have seen the commercials recently advertising the latest trend in beauty creams. I know it can be confusing, so I thought I'd try to break it down and to pass on some info I obtained while at a class in Boston a few weeks ago. Here goes:

BB cream: stands for 'beauty balm'

Used as a primer for foundation; great for more mature skin types, also drier skins

Squalene is a key ingredient

Gives the skin a healthy glow

CC cream: stands for 'color correcting'

Usually offers 3-4 shades and offers this 'pigment adapting technology'. Applies white like a sunscreen, but then adapts to your skin tone.

Has a rosacea complex to cover ruddy skin tones and combats redness.

A word about the newest creams:

You may have seen the commercials recently advertising the latest trend in beauty creams. I know it can be confusing, so I thought I'd try to break it down and to pass on some info I obtained while at a class in Boston a few weeks ago. Here goes:

BB cream: stands for 'beauty balm'

Used as a primer for foundation; great for more mature skin types, also drier skins

Squalene is a key ingredient

Gives the skin a healthy glow

CC cream: stands for 'color correcting'

Usually offers 3-4 shades and offers this 'pigment adapting technology'. Applies white like a sunscreen, but then adapts to your skin tone.

Has a rosacea complex to cover ruddy skin tones and combats redness.

thanks, planted. have you used any?

thanks, planted. have you used any?

Hi slave!

Admittedly, no, I haven't tried any yet. But, I have a girlfriend who owns a skincare business so I have put my order in for one of the BB creams.

I am just so excited about this concept and I thought others might be also. The commercials I have seen for these products really don't do enough to educate the consumer...grrr. That is a pet peeve of mine! 'Treat your skin products like you would your food...read labels!' That's my schpeel to my regulars.

I'll keep you posted on what I find!

• 2 weeks later...