Who's Zeppelin's Kid brother/sister

McSeven

It seems that most of us agree with the Led Zeppelin/Aerosmith "little brother" connection as I and most of you have pointed out. Here is another "little brother" connection that I feel merits some consideration.

RUSH: If you listen to Rush's first album (1973) you will hear many similarities in the songs/songwriting and basic format that sounds very "Led Zeppelin". If you have or have heard Rush's first album, listen to the song "Here Again". Very bluesy. I swear, if you close your eyes during the guitar solo in this song, a very young Alex Lifeson plays his solo that almost sounds note for note just like Jimmy Page. Very flattering for Mr. Page. I have even read that Alex Lifeson has said that he was (is) a very big Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin fan.

It seems that most of us agree with the Led Zeppelin/Aerosmith "little brother" connection as I and most of you have pointed out. Here is another "little brother" connection that I feel merits some consideration.

RUSH: If you listen to Rush's first album (1973) you will hear many similarities in the songs/songwriting and basic format that sounds very "Led Zeppelin". If you have or have heard Rush's first album, listen to the song "Here Again". Very bluesy. I swear, if you close your eyes during the guitar solo in this song, a very young Alex Lifeson plays his solo that almost sounds note for note just like Jimmy Page. Very flattering for Mr. Page. I have even read that Alex Lifeson has said that he was (is) a very big Jimmy Page and Led Zeppelin fan.

I don't think it's Jimmy who should feel flattered. Maybe Alex Lifeson should feel flattered if people think he sounds like Jimmy! ;)

Thing that always surprised me with Aerosmith was when they were accepting their induction into the RRHOF, they thanked a ton of bands and if memory serves me right, Zep was not one of them. I was a bit surprised by that as clearly they were huge fans and such.

Well, who did they thank, then? :unsure:

:peace:,

Jo

Have to disagree with Aerosmith & Guns N Roses being being heavily influenced By Zep.

Aerosmith, if anyone was much more influenced by the Stones & the Yardbirds. On Aerosmiths first album they cover Rufus Thomas' 'Walking The Dog' which was also on the Stones debut album. They have the classic Stones 2 guitar setup, & image wise it couldnt be more obvious, The Toxic Twins vs. The Glimmer Twins. As far as the Yardbirds, 'Still Im Sad' is a bigger influence on 'Dream On' than 'Stairway', in fact Tyler wrote 'Dream On' in the 60's & 'Still Im Sad' is one of his favorite songs. I have an interview with Tyler in Spin from 89' & he was asked to name a song that was an unknown classic & he said 'Think About It' a Page era Yardbirds song which Aerosmith covered on their 'Night In The Ruts' album which Page played with them at the Marquee in 90'. And obviously 'Train Kept A Rollin' too. Jeff Beck is Joe Perrys' favorite guitar player followed by Peter Green, not Page. A few years ago in Maxim or Details magazine Steve Tyler was asked where he would rank Aerosmith among rocks greatest bands & he answered the Beatles were on the top & that Aerosmith fell below the Stones but ABOVE Zeppelin lol. Laughed when I read that.

As far as Guns N Roses, well the Stones & Aerosmith are their biggest influences. Slashs' favorite guitarist is not Page but Mick Taylor when he was in the Stones which he has stated over & over again, followed by Perry & Whitford, & Michael Schenker when he was in UFO. Slashs' all time favorite album is 'Rocks' by Aerosmith. Izzy Stradlins was the Stones 'Exile On Main Street'. Axl Roses favorite band was not Zeppelin but Queen.

Obviously Zeppelin was an influence on both bands to some to degree as they are on all Hard Rock bands in general, but its a stretch to say that Zeppelin was their biggest influence. Its just not true.

Obviously Zeppelin was an influence on both bands to some to degree as they are on all Hard Rock bands in general, but its a stretch to say that Zeppelin was their biggest influence. Its just not true.

Anyone in this thread said this? :unsure:

Maybe not directly but I think its implied by the threard topic. What does "kid brother/sister" mean if not a direct line from Zeppelin to whatever band?

I think it's about the influence and similarity between those bands, which I guess you agreed to a point as well. And this has developed into a discussion, no one has made a definite statement that "Zeppelin is the biggest influence" of Aerosmith or GnR.

I guess thats part of my point, I dont see the similarities between Aerosmith & GNR with Zeppelin. Other bands mentioned here I can see but those two, it's a stretch. Because of loud guitar riffs? Theres has to be more to it than that. Also inaccuracies in what others are saying. Jimmy Page is not Slash & Perrys fave guitarist & they've both stated their favorites time & time again but people insist that Page was for whatever reason.

if Zep has a kid brother its obviously Dread Zeppelin. Who has taken the piss at of LZ more than them, thus really being a 'kid brother' in the truest sense.

I guess thats part of my point, I dont see the similarities between Aerosmith & GNR with Zeppelin. Other bands mentioned here I can see but those two, it's a stretch. Because of loud guitar riffs? Theres has to be more to it than that. Also inaccuracies in what others are saying. Jimmy Page is not Slash & Perrys fave guitarist & they've both stated their favorites time & time again but people insist that Page was for whatever reason.

if Zep has a kid brother its obviously Dread Zeppelin. Who has taken the piss at of LZ more than them, thus really being a 'kid brother' in the truest sense.

Well,I can understand Zeppelin not being the biggest influence on Aerosmith and GnR, but when you say "don't see the similarities", ok now I'm a bit surprised...really?

And what about the "inaccuracies"? I pointed out in a post above that Slash has stated his favorite guitarist is not Jimmy Page, but then, it's also not Mick Taylor as you mentioned, he stated clearly in his autobiography that it's Jeff Beck. What is accurate and what is inaccurate? He could have changed his mind for several times, and I don't think it really matters that much, anyway.

I just dont hear it. They dont sound anything alike. GNR & Aerosmith together obviously have alot in common which directly comes from the Stones but I dont hear it with Zeppelin. If youre talking about a song like 'Heartbreaker' well yeah, its a song thats obviously influenced alot of Hard Rock bands. But what has either band done thats' in anyway similar to 'Kasmir', 'Battle Of Evermore', & 'Carouselambra'? Nothing I can think of. Zeppelin is more than big riffs & power ballads which is all Aerosmith & GNR really come down to. They're good bands but not multidimensional like Zep which is what I think has to be considered to be some sort of heir. Rush, who Im not even a fan of, I think qualifies though.

I just dont hear it. They dont sound anything alike. GNR & Aerosmith together obviously have alot in common which directly comes from the Stones but I dont hear it with Zeppelin. If youre talking about a song like 'Heartbreaker' well yeah, its a song thats obviously influenced alot of Hard Rock bands. But what has either band done thats' in anyway similar to 'Kasmir', 'Battle Of Evermore', & 'Carouselambra'? Nothing I can think of. Zeppelin is more than big riffs & power ballads which is all Aerosmith & GNR really come down to. They're good bands but not multidimensional like Zep which is what I think has to be considered to be some sort of heir. Rush, who Im not even a fan of, I think qualifies though.

Influence can be in many forms. A band can be directly or indirectly influenced by someone. Doesn't mean because Aerosmith or G&R don't sound exactly like Zep, they weren't influenced by them. Plus the fact that both those bands were trying to do their own thing, or at least their version of a certain style. But just because neither did anything similar to Kashmir or BoE etc., doesn't mean that Zep didn't play a big part in their sound IMO.

Influence can be in many forms. A band can be directly or indirectly influenced by someone. Doesn't mean because Aerosmith or G&R don't sound exactly like Zep, they weren't influenced by them. Plus the fact that both those bands were trying to do their own thing, or at least their version of a certain style. But just because neither did anything similar to Kashmir or BoE etc., doesn't mean that Zep didn't play a big part in their sound IMO.

Sure Zeppelin was influence, how can a Hard Rock band not have been influenced by Zeppelin directly or indirectly. In Aerosmith & GNR's case I think its more indirectly. I think they were more of a direct influence on other bands from Montrose, Billy Squier, Heart, Zebra, & Rush on a whole though. There are 'songs' by different types of bands where I can hear a Zeppelin influence from Iron Maidens "Run To The Hills'(Achilles..) to REM's "Hairshirt'(...Evermore) but Im not even sure those are direct influences or coincidence. So was there an influence, sure. Kid brother/sister, I disagree. Its like saying Cream was the older brother of Zeppelin. I dont hear it outside that they both were blues based hard rock bands but I honestly dont think Cream was even an influence on Zep members outside of Bonham. Its a similarity that comes down to genre rather than a direct influence.

I think influence is being confused with musical similarity, a band doesn't have to be a blatant soundalike to have been or not have been influenced by another band or artist. With regard to Aerosmith and GnR I don't hear much Zep in their music but I wouldn't doubt that some of those bands members have been influenced by something Zep did at some point. But I don't think either band is a direct musical descendant of LZ.

I think influence is being confused with musical similarity, a band doesn't have to be a blatant soundalike to have been or not have been influenced by another band or artist. With regard to Aerosmith and GnR I don't hear much Zep in their music but I wouldn't doubt that some of those bands members have been influenced by something Zep did at some point. But I don't think either band is a direct musical descendant of LZ.

Aren't all bands influenced by something Zep did at some point??

:D

Aren't all bands influenced by something Zep did at some point??

:D

Hehe :D. I know you're being sarcastic but honestly no. I'm sure some are vehement that LZ is hugely influential but I think their alleged influence is a tad overstated. IMO too many people use LZ's massive success as ways to qualify them for things they aren't necessarily deserving of. I've often wondered if people would speak of them the way they do if they'd sold 3 million albums instead of 300 million, or whatever astonishing amount it is.

Hehe :D. I know you're being sarcastic but honestly no. I'm sure some are vehement that LZ is hugely influential but I think their alleged influence is a tad overstated. IMO too many people use LZ's massive success as ways to qualify them for things they aren't necessarily deserving of. I've often wondered if people would speak of them the way they do if they'd sold 3 million albums instead of 300 million, or whatever astonishing amount it is.

Hmm..good point there :thumbsup:

In response to the first sentence: Too bad. We would have a lot better music today if more bands were influenced by Zeppelin

Speaking of LZ's influence I think the most measurable influence they had is how music is recorded. Even people that aren't into the Zep "worship" thing have appreciation for how the albums sound. I see that a lot on guitar forums, quite a few players think the genius of Jimmy Page is how he makes albums sound rather than his playing. It's not uncommon to see stuff like "Jimmy Page is the best producer ever that also happened to play guitar".

Just to go along with this topic, I would have to say: Aerosmith.

Mainly because Joe Perry is such an admirer and in such awe of Jimmy. I would bet money on it that if you asked Joe Perry who had the most profound influence on his playing and songwrtiting abiltity he would say Mr. Jimmy Page.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that Jeff Beck was Perry's biggest influence, but I'm sure Jimmy was a close close 2nd! (Of course, I could be wrong) :D

Bad Company always thought of themselves as Zeppelin's little brother.

I'll agree with that! ;)

Speaking of LZ's influence I think the most measurable influence they had is how music is recorded. Even people that aren't into the Zep "worship" thing have appreciation for how the albums sound. I see that a lot on guitar forums, quite a few players think the genius of Jimmy Page is how he makes albums sound rather than his playing. It's not uncommon to see stuff like "Jimmy Page is the best producer ever that also happened to play guitar".

That's pretty much what one of the points I was trying to put across earlier, the difference between a direct influence & an indirect influence. If someone were to say Van Halen as a band was directly influenced by Zep I'd say they're off the mark, but inderectly sure they're an influence. In an interview in Guitar World from 90' Eddie Van Halen said he wasn't really interested in copying Page's playing style but wanted to pick Page's brain to see how he got his "sounds". He was never trying to make his band be Zeps "little brother" but wanted to take a part of what they did & make it a part of his own palate of ideas & sounds. I hear an influence, but it's not a direct rip like Kingdom Come for example.

As Billy Corgan once said "Without Led Zeppelin hard rock would sound different." Thats their influence whether loving & copying them or hating & slagging them off, its just going to be there somewhere in a hard rock bands sound.

That's pretty much what one of the points I was trying to put across earlier, the difference between a direct influence & an indirect influence. If someone were to say Van Halen as a band was directly influenced by Zep I'd say they're off the mark, but inderectly sure they're an influence. In an interview in Guitar World from 90' Eddie Van Halen said he wasn't really interested in copying Page's playing style but wanted to pick Page's brain to see how he got his "sounds". He was never trying to make his band be Zeps "little brother" but wanted to take a part of what they did & make it a part of his own palate of ideas & sounds. I hear an influence, but it's not a direct rip like Kingdom Come for example.

As Billy Corgan once said "Without Led Zeppelin hard rock would sound different." Thats their influence whether loving & copying them or hating & slagging them off, its just going to be there somewhere in a hard rock bands sound.

IMO trying to decipher what relevant influences any musician has purely based on what they cop to is useless. For example I've heard Eddie cite Clapton as an influence but I can't hear any EC in his approach to guitar. Likewise I've never heard EVH say much about Billy Gibbons and his playing often sounds very Billy like, especially his rhythm playing. As for bands like Kingdom Come I think it has less to do with influence than trying to capitalize on a proven formula purely based on trying to make a buck from it, which usually backfired. Back in the day bands like KC were among the most least respected ever because the were an awful parody.

Archived