Beware Of Facebook

Mary Hartman

Quiz: What Do Facebook Quizzes Know About You?

(Originally posted on the ACLU of Northern California’s Bytes & Pieces blog.)

Ever whiled away five minutes on a Facebook quiz, finding out whatcartoon character is your look-alike or how your IQ stacks up? Thesequizzes may seem like a perfectly harmless way to spend a few spareminutes. But have you stopped to think about what these quizzes arelearning about you and how that info could be used? Take our quiz andlearn more!

QUESTION 1: When you take a Facebook quiz, the quiz:

A. Is just for fun and doesn’t collect any info about you.

B. Collects the info in your answers, but nothing else.

C. Collects the info in your answers, has access to your profile, and may even be able to access your friends’ profiles.

ANSWER: C.

This isn’t a back-of-the-magazine quiz — Facebook quizzes cancollect and store the answers you give. But that’s not all: thesequizzes can collect the information in your profile — and even information from your friends’ profiles — in addition to any answers you give.

QUESTION 2: OK, that doesn’t sound good, but myprivacy settings will protect my information, right? By default,Facebook’s privacy settings:

A. Prevent any application from seeing anything on my profile unless I install and use that application.

B. Prevent applications from seeing anything on my profile if I have specific privacy settings for specific details on my profile.

C. Allow applications — including those used by my friends — to access to my profile.

Facebook, no stranger to controversy over its policies regarding user data,does not have policies in place that reassure users that theirinformation is automatically kept private. By default, Facebook’sprivacy settings let applications access information on your profileeven if you have restricted access to a specific network or friendgroup (as application privacy settings are separate from profile privacy settings).In addition, Facebook’s default settings allow applications run by yourfriends to pull information from your profile. Surprised? Check out your settings and see for yourself!

QUESTION 3: OK, so quizzes can collect a lot of info — but what can they do with it? The information that quizzes collect:

A. Cannot be retained or used at all

B. Can only be used in connection with Facebook.

C. Could be used, sold, or released in any way the developer chooses.

ANSWER: B — sort of.

Facebook’s Statement of Rights and Responsibilitiesrequires that application developers limit their use of any user datathat they collect. That’s nice – in theory. But in practice, it onlyworks if quiz developers comply with this limit. If they don’t, yourinformation could easily be abused, sold, or released without yourknowledge or consent. How do you know if you can trust thesedevelopers?

QUESTION 4: No worries; Facebook screens developers carefully, right? To be a Facebook developer, a person or company must:

A. Pass a thorough screening by Facebook and provide Facebook with a real name, address, and telephone number.

B. Provide Facebook with a real name, address, and telephone number.

C. Have nothing more than a Facebook account possibly tied to an anonymous email address.

That’s right: these developers — who are able to collect all sorts of information about you and your friends — don’t have to reveal their information to you (or to Facebook) at all.That means it can be hard for Facebook to enforce these developer datause limits – or even to know if they’ve been violated in the firstplace.

QUESTION 5: All right, I’ve heard enough — I want to do something about it! The best way for me to take action is to:

A. Use Facebook’s privacy settings to limit the information that my friends’ quizzes and applications can see on your profile.

B. Demand that Facebook strengthen its privacy protections so that users can effectively retain control over their own information.

C. Join the dotRights campaign on Facebook to learn more about how I can take control of my online info and Demand My dotRights!

ANSWER: ALL OF THE ABOVE.

Taking control of your own privacy by using the privacy settingsthat Facebook offers is a good start — but it’s time to start demandingmore of the companies who hold our personal information. Tell Facebookthat you want better privacy protection for your personal information. Sign up for our email list and join our dotRights campaign on Facebookto learn more about what you can do to control your privacy online. Andstick around as we expand our campaign to reclaim control of ourpersonal information and Demand Our dotRights!

Courtesy The ACLU

I have been on facebook for a long time, and have met so many interesting people, I use it to

tak to people I know who are now my friends, and I can trust, as I have got to know them well, also family,

I never do quizzes or anything like that, I do not have time with my career, and things going on but it is nice

to keep in contact with friends and family and thats all I use it for.

I have been on facebook for a long time, and have met so many interesting people, I use it to

tak to people I know who are now my friends, and I can trust, as I have got to know them well, also family,

I never do quizzes or anything like that, I do not have time with my career, and things going on but it is nice

to keep in contact with friends and family and thats all I use it for.

Did you read the ACLU article? The thing is you see these bot type applications can scan the information on your pc anyhow. Facebook shares your private information and supports it. Which means they are really one "whiff" from everything on your hard drive.

But you do as you wish, chuckles. I deleted anything and everything to do with them and it was a good decision.

And I'm not trying to be mean. Just please read the article carefully. Never give out insurance info, personal info, ss numbers, phone numbers or credit card numbers to anyone.

Edited by Mary Hartman

Selling information on people (even your customers) is not a new business idea. Bank's have been doing it for decade's! And everyone knows what bank's specialize in .....money!

It's all about potential future customer's! And the net is the biggest and easiest way's to do this to date!

I've been on line since the early 1990's and I can remember the day's when the net was a good way to get real information but now it's become a huge advertising billboard! :(

^no, you're not. But Ally, you SHOULD go and adjust your privacy settings if you haven't already.

There is a privacy policy, and it can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/privacy/?ref=mb#/policy.php?ref=pf

I say if you want to use FB, set up your privacy to very strict, and then don't accept anyone you don't know.

If I accept people I don't know well, I usually put them on a limited profile, so they can't see my personal information and my photos. THEN you should also stay away from the quizzes if you're worried about them collecting demographic information on you.

If you don't want advertisers using your name, etc., on their ads, do this:

settings

privacy settings

select "FB ads" tab

select "NO ONE"

hit save

This makes it so NO ONE can see ads with your information on it.

If you want to use applications but keep them from being plastered all over the place, go to "application settings" and don't allow things to be published to the news stream.

It takes a while to get settings set up, but once you've got it set to how you want it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Fortunately, the FAN CHECK PHOTO application is the troublesome issue and I don't have that as a part of my Facebook. That, and I run anti-virus/anti-spyware every hour.

Oh contrare.

QUESTION 2: OK, that doesn’t sound good, but myprivacy settings will protect my information, right? By default,Facebook’s privacy settings:

A. Prevent any application from seeing anything on my profile unless I install and use that application.

B. Prevent applications from seeing anything on my profile if I have specific privacy settings for specific details on my profile.

C. Allow applications — including those used by my friends — to access to my profile.

Facebook, no stranger to controversy over its policies regarding user data,does not have policies in place that reassure users that theirinformation is automatically kept private. By default, Facebook’sprivacy settings let applications access information on your profileeven if you have restricted access to a specific network or friendgroup (as application privacy settings are separate from profile privacy settings).In addition, Facebook’s default settings allow applications run by yourfriends to pull information from your profile. Surprised? Check out your settings and see for yourself!

The FAN CHECK application is the one allowing privacy breeches, I've already spoken to many people about this. I don't have that application on my profile. About 16 of my friends sent me emails about it in the last 3 hours. I know what my privacy settings are and I'm fine. The only personal information anyone could get out of my profile anyway is my phone number. Whoop-de-doo. There's a special section devoted to Application Privacy settings and right now the only thing it shares is whether or not I'm online and my blog's website. That's it.

Dude, do you even HAVE a Facebook?

Thanks for the links, guys!

Yes , thanks very much for this.

Mandy, have changed my settings

Good. I'm happy to hear. I don't want my FB friends worrying about their security! ;)

TheFAN CHECK application is the one allowing privacy breeches, I'vealready spoken to many people about this. I don't have thatapplication on my profile. About 16 of my friends sent me emails aboutit in the last 3 hours. I know what my privacy settings are and I'mfine. The only personal information anyone could get out of my profileanyway is my phone number. Whoop-de-doo. There's a special sectiondevoted to Application Privacy settings and right now the only thing itshares is whether or not I'm online and my blog's website. That's it.

:lol:

Edited by manderlyh

The FAN CHECK application is the one allowing privacy breeches, I've already spoken to many people about this. I don't have that application on my profile. About 16 of my friends sent me emails about it in the last 3 hours. I know what my privacy settings are and I'm fine. The only personal information anyone could get out of my profile anyway is my phone number. Whoop-de-doo. There's a special section devoted to Application Privacy settings and right now the only thing it shares is whether or not I'm online and my blog's website. That's it.

Yes I do. But it will be gone entirely as I've deleted it. Takes 14 days to roll off.

BTW. If they allow people to access your personal information...they do not maintain a tight ship. I don't care what you say. Not having a security policy so they can promote add warez and other sniffers can get into your pc.

Perhaps you have things tightened down....how about your teenage pal next door?

Oh yeah, you don't work with computer security much huh?

^no, you're not. But Ally, you SHOULD go and adjust your privacy settings if you haven't already.

There is a privacy policy, and it can be found here:

http://www.facebook.com/privacy/?ref=mb#/policy.php?ref=pf

I say if you want to use FB, set up your privacy to very strict, and then don't accept anyone you don't know.

If I accept people I don't know well, I usually put them on a limited profile, so they can't see my personal information and my photos. THEN you should also stay away from the quizzes if you're worried about them collecting demographic information on you.

If you don't want advertisers using your name, etc., on their ads, do this:

settings

privacy settings

select "FB ads" tab

select "NO ONE"

hit save

This makes it so NO ONE can see ads with your information on it.

If you want to use applications but keep them from being plastered all over the place, go to "application settings" and don't allow things to be published to the news stream.

It takes a while to get settings set up, but once you've got it set to how you want it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

My Facebook setting's page doesn't look like this at all, there is only 2 tab's one for "Basic" and another for "communication's".

I only have a few bit's of info on Facebook any-way's, my birthday and my sex, not much more than that. So, with no real information about me in there to start with it would be hard to rip-off the little bit I have in this world.

My Facebook setting's page doesn't look like this at all, there is only 2 tab's one for "Basic" and another for "communication's".

Mines different as well. I have: settings> privacy settings, then the following tabs:

Control who can see information on your profile page.

Search

Control who can search for you, what they can see, and how they can contact you.

News Feed and Wall

Control what Recent Activity is visible on your profile and in your friends' home pages.

Applications

Control what information is available to applications you use on Facebook.

then under Applications tab:

What Other Users Can See via the Facebook Platform

When a friend of yours allows an application to access their information, that application may also access any information about you that your friend can already see. Learn more.

Applications and Privacy

All applications must respect existing privacy settings. For example, if an application creates a slideshow of your photo albums, and a certain album is set to "Only My Friends", it may only display that slideshow to your friends.

If you believe an application is violating Facebook's privacy policies, please report it immediately. You can report an application by going to the application's About page and clicking "Report Application" at the bottom of the page, or by clicking "Report" at the bottom of any canvas page within the application.

You can use the controls on this page to limit what types of information your friends can see about you through applications. Please note that this is only for applications you do not use yourself:

Share my name, networks, and list of friends, as well as the following information:

* Profile picture

* Basic info What's this?

* Personal info (activities, interests, etc.)

* Current location (what city I'm in)

* Education history

* Work history

* Profile status

* Wall

* Notes

* Groups I belong to

* Events I'm invited to

* Photos taken by me

* Photos taken of me

* Relationship status

* Online presence

* What type of relationship I'm looking for

* What sex I'm interested in

* Who I'm in a relationship with

* Religious views

* Website

Do not share any information about me through the Facebook API

Basic Info

Your basic info consists of your birthday, sex, hometown, political views, and when you last updated your profile.

Opting Out of Facebook Platform

You are unable to fully opt out of sharing information through Facebook Platform because you are currently using applications built on Platform. To enable this option, you need to remove any applications you have added, and remove your permissions to all external applications that you may have used.

Applications Authorized to Access Your Information

When you authorize an application, it can access any information associated with your account that it requires to work. Contact Information is never shared through Platform. You can view a full list of applications you have authorized on the Applications page.

Facebook Connect Applications

Facebook Connect is a way to use applications outside of Facebook. You can take your Facebook profile information all over the Internet, and send interesting information back to your Facebook account.

When your friend connects their Facebook account with an application outside of Facebook, they will be able to compare their Facebook Friend List with information from that website in order to invite more friends to connect.

Don't allow friends to view my memberships on other websites through Facebook Connect.

Beacon Websites

Don't allow Beacon websites to post stories to my profile. Learn more.

Blocked Applications

You have blocked the following applications. This means they cannot access any information about you or contact you, but they may still appear on your friends' profile. If you want to remove the block for any of these applications, click remove.

You have not restricted any applications.

Ignored Application Inviters

You can ignore all application invites from specific friends. This option is available from the Requests page. You can remove people from this list at any time using the link next to their name.

You have not restricted invites from any users.

Perhaps you have things tightened down....how about your teenage pal next door?

Oh yeah, you don't work with computer security much huh?

I work with it enough that every single computer in our home, and that includes my dad's work laptop, my laptop, my sister's computer and our desktop downstairs all have anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware software, a firewall and have not been infected by anything.....ever. We all do our banking online, pay bills online, do a lot of shopping online......don't have to worry about identity theft or money magically disappearing from our bank accounts. You do not, I repeat DO NOT have to be a computer security wizard or work in the IT field to know how to protect your computer and other machines in your network from getting effed up. That's a scare tactic people like to spread around to get other people to spend money they don't have for things they don't need. This shit is easy if you pay attention, read a little and actually use the software once it's installed.

And for the record, I don't give a rat's ass about any of my neighbors and whether they're teenagers or not. Even if I did, that is for their parents to worry about, not me. I don't have kids, I don't want kids, so I don't worry about other people's kids.

I work with it enough that every single computer in our home, and that includes my dad's work laptop, my laptop, my sister's computer and our desktop downstairs all have anti-virus/anti-spyware/anti-malware software, a firewall and have not been infected by anything.....ever. We all do our banking online, pay bills online, do a lot of shopping online......don't have to worry about identity theft or money magically disappearing from our bank accounts. You do not, I repeat DO NOT have to be a computer security wizard or work in the IT field to know how to protect your computer and other machines in your network from getting effed up. That's a scare tactic people like to spread around to get other people to spend money they don't have for things they don't need. This shit is easy if you pay attention, read a little and actually use the software once it's installed.

And for the record, I don't give a rat's ass about any of my neighbors and whether they're teenagers or not. Even if I did, that is for their parents to worry about, not me. I don't have kids, I don't want kids, so I don't worry about other people's kids.

I believe the post was meant to help. Not to argue with you anyhow.

Go look for Steve or something.

Quiz: What Do Facebook Quizzes Know About You?

(Originally posted on the ACLU of Northern California’s Bytes & Pieces blog.)

Ever whiled away five minutes on a Facebook quiz, finding out whatcartoon character is your look-alike or how your IQ stacks up? Thesequizzes may seem like a perfectly harmless way to spend a few spareminutes. But have you stopped to think about what these quizzes arelearning about you and how that info could be used? Take our quiz andlearn more!

But at the end of the day, what are they going to do witht hat information anyway? Use it to send you junk mail.

I mean I come on here and post messages and give away my thoughts and feelings and no one gives a shit

I could jump around in my undies shouting out my favourite likes and dislikes and no one will give a shit.

Information is only worth stealing off people if they're somebody important and powerful. For the rest of us it's just junk mail.

The term is called attention-seeking for a reason...celebrities arethe only people who seem to be privacy-seekers.