KISS Nominated For ROCK AND ROLL HALL OF FAME Induction

The Pagemeister

As far as Hall of FAME material, yes KISS should be in there. But if the award's group were to be called Hall of inovative music and expertise, they'd never get on the first step.

Too many bands and musicians that are famous have music that is pure schlock and droll. I say the institution should set their criteria for musical attributes versus the characteristics that now dominate the selections.

Then again, it would be subjective not objective. Talent doesn't have a number system like album sales, magazine covers and idiotic fans that mass to these "popular" bands of which so many play like elementary school kids. I guess that's who they attract too.

KISS, the Stooges, and Laura Nyro should be inducted. Possibly ABBA. Give the Red Hot Chili Peppers 10+ years. No Donna Summer or LL Cool J. Rap doesn't belong in the Rock Hall.

And could someone tellme why the Runaways, the Moody Blues, and Heart aren't in the Hall, but Run-D.M.C and Metallica are? I find that confusing. <_<

:peace:,

Jo

I agree with the Moodies and Heart. I think both will get inducted eventually. the Moodies should have been by now. i don't think the Runaways have much of a chance. despite being one of the first all female rock bands, they really weren't that strong of a group. if that's the case then put the GTO's in first.

as far as RUN DMC are concerned, they definitely deserve to be there. they crossed rap and rock and rejuvenated Aerosmith's career and I can't understand why you don't think Metallica is not deserving.

I agree with the Moodies and Heart. I think both will get inducted eventually. the Moodies should have been by now. i don't think the Runaways have much of a chance. despite being one of the first all female rock bands, they really weren't that strong of a group. if that's the case then put the GTO's in first.

as far as RUN DMC are concerned, they definitely deserve to be there. they crossed rap and rock and rejuvenated Aerosmith's career and I can't understand why you don't think Metallica is not deserving.

The GTO's weren't a real band. They were a joke! The Runaways were a real band that really played their own instruments and wrote and sang their own songs.

And I don't really care for Metallica. i don't think their music is that important or influential.

Jo

And I don't really care for Metallica. i don't think their music is that important or influential.

I'm not even a fan but I have no problem whatsoever saying that Metallica has most definitely been influential.

A few years back I was watching a panel discussion program that ran on VH1 for a short time called Four On the Floor and they were discussing potential inductees for the Hall. Author Amy Linden said she didn't think the Grateful Dead deserved to be nominated, much less inducted. Her reasoning? She didn't like them. If it hadn't dawned on me before, it dawned on me then that she's a fucking idiot. Not because she doesn't like the Grateful Dead but because she thought they shouldn't even be eligible just because she's not a fan. That's just the kind of "thinking" that goes on behind the scenes of the induction committee and why Madonna is in but the Replacements aren't (and most likely never will be).

I'm not even a fan but I have no problem whatsoever saying that Metallica has most definitely been influential.

A few years back I was watching a panel discussion program that ran on VH1 for a short time called Four On the Floor and they were discussing potential inductees for the Hall. Author Amy Linden said she didn't think the Grateful Dead deserved to be nominated, much less inducted. Her reasoning? She didn't like them. If it hadn't dawned on me before, it dawned on me then that she's a fucking idiot. Not because she doesn't like the Grateful Dead but because she thought they shouldn't even be eligible just because she's not a fan. That's just the kind of "thinking" that goes on behind the scenes of the induction committee and why Madonna is in but the Replacements aren't (and most likely never will be).

MAYBE IDIOT AMY WILL HELP INDUCT WARREN ZEVON THATS IF SHE DOESENT LIKE HIM.

The GTO's weren't a real band. They were a joke! The Runaways were a real band that really played their own instruments and wrote and sang their own songs.

Jo

i don't know, but didn't Jimmy Page enjoy the GTO's? :D

anyway, even though the Runaways spawned Joan Jett and Lita Ford's solo careers, they just weren't that strong or impressive to get elected. Metallica, on the other hand, have been one of the most impressive and influential metal bands in rock history. just look at how many young groups pattern themselves after them. that's what is important and should be the determining factor in the nomination and election process. just getting in because you were cool for a minute doesn't get it.

I heard on "Sound Opinions" that the Rock and Roll HOF is run by the same guy who runs Rolling Stone and you only get in if this person OKs it. I don't know who this person is or if this is true, but it would explain alot of odd choices.

Why don't they just rename it the Pop Music Hall of Fame and be done with it?

Kiss? Madonna? ABBA? Please...

i don't know, but didn't Jimmy Page enjoy the GTO's? :D

anyway, even though the Runaways spawned Joan Jett and Lita Ford's solo careers, they just weren't that strong or impressive to get elected. Metallica, on the other hand, have been one of the most impressive and influential metal bands in rock history. just look at how many young groups pattern themselves after them. that's what is important and should be the determining factor in the nomination and election process. just getting in because you were cool for a minute doesn't get it.

Jimmy liked the GTO's?! :blink: Geez... <_<

Maybe you're right about the Runaways not being that strong musically, but think about it: 16-year-old girls playing hard rock music, not pop, and playing their respective instruments both on stage and in the studio. I think that's pretty impressive!

I rethought Metallica and I think I changed my mind about them a bit. You're right.

Jo

Everybody loved the GTO's! They became a cult band in their own time. The did write all the lyrics and melodies while they were backed by Zappa's band. But you're right in a way, they weren't a "real" band, it was more of a project made up by Zappa..

I heard on "Sound Opinions" that the Rock and Roll HOF is run by the same guy who runs Rolling Stone and you only get in if this person OKs it. I don't know who this person is or if this is true, but it would explain alot of odd choices.

Why don't they just rename it the Pop Music Hall of Fame and be done with it?

Kiss? Madonna? ABBA? Please...

Kiss definitely belongs in there. Their influence on other bands is undeniable.

The person in question is Jann Wenner, and yes, I'm sure his role has a lot to do with who does and who doesn't get nominated for induction. The Rock n' Roll Hall of Fame has not been without it's share of controversy, especially surrounding the induction of the Dave Clark Five. It took Skynyrd something like seven times before they were ever inducted, they should have been in the very first year they were eligible.

A lot of people like Kiss (like myself) and a lot don't, but there's no denying that they're one of the best live performers ever.

I agree. I'm not a huge KISS fan, but have always enjoyed seeing them live. I'm glad they were nominated. They've had such an influence on a number of bands from all genres. I think they deserve it.

Just got the new album. On my first listening of it, I have to say it's nothing special. A few songs have nice riffs but that's about it. It comes with a DVD of them live in Buenos Aires and a cd of their greatest hits. It's interesting that they re-recorded their greatest hits with the new version of the band. Not a good idea imo since the songs seem to be a beat slower and way too clean sounding. They don't have that frenzy sound to them when Ace was the guitarist. That said, I can't wait to see this Saturday at MSG.

I think Journey did a similar thing with one of their recent releases where they re-recorded a bunch of their Perry-era songs with the current lineup. It's called "revisionist history". Sort of like how Van Halen altered their old album covers on their website to remove Michael Anthony when Wolfie joined the band.

For those that may have missed it, here's their performance on Letterman from last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gc_5_aHB-hM&feature=player_embedded

I would send the Greatest Hits CD back to Mr Simmons and tell him no thanks, you can keep it. What an idiot idea to re-record the old songs.. Greed makes people do just about anything.

I would send the Greatest Hits CD back to Mr Simmons and tell him no thanks, you can keep it. What an idiot idea to re-record the old songs.. Greed makes people do just about anything.

I agree and like the world need yet another KISS compilation.

I actually went and bought six of the old albums (remastered) the other day, which I already have on vinyl of course. Kiss, Dressed To Kill, Hotter Than Hell, Rock And Roll Over, Destroyer and Love Gun. Those are f**kin' classic rock'n'roll albums. I bet 75% of all the guitarists in my age started playing guitar because of Ace Frehley and Kiss.

• 2 years later...

I think Kiss deserve to be in but before he opens his mouth, Gene Simmons should probably do some fact checking first. Like the fact that Tone Loc isn't in and that Blondie wasn't a "disco act". It's that sort of ignorance and bitching about not being in that's probably keeping them from being inducted. There's lots of other artists that deserve to be inducted (such as Rush) but you don't see them openly complaining about it.

Kiss Still Sore Over Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Exclusion (from Rolling Stone)

I don't think Rush deserve to be inducted. They are too nichey and nerdy, and arguably the antithesis of rock and roll.

Rush most definitely deserve to be in based on their influence alone, which is among the chief criteria for induction. On top of that they sound just as vital and innovative today as they ever have while most of their peers bank on nostalgia.

Archived