Guitar used to play Kashmir & White Summer

Led Zep Girl

Danelectro electric guitar DC 59

jimmy-page_dano59.jpg

This is the guitar that I am obsessed with. I love the pick guard. I am wanting to learn guitar. Is this a good beginner guitar? Let me re-phrase that. I want a guitar like this becasue it has a really good sound to it. Not because it has a cool pick guard. And yes it does help that Jimmy has one.

I've played a few of the Daneltros and I gotta say that the new versions are not that great. The vintage ones are much better guitars. Page himself changed the neck on the one he has. I personally would get an Epiphone or Squier to start off with. But as you learn you will understand a lot more of what you want out of a guitar. Good luck with finding one that you like! I hope that you are successful

jimmy-page_dano59.jpg

This is the guitar that I am obsessed with. I love the pick guard. I am wanting to learn guitar. Is this a good beginner guitar? Let me re-phrase that. I want a guitar like this becasue it has a really good sound to it. Not because it has a cool pick guard. And yes it does help that Jimmy has one.

Funny you should mention this. I was/am equally obsessed with same guitar and, in fact, just received one today. I ordered it through a mail order catalog by a famous, reputable organization and have just finished playing it after an hour and a half. My assessment may not be final, but in reality, it's a cheap feeling instrument but tuned to a D chord, the sound is very Pagey indeed. My biggest disappointment is that the treble pickup pot has a short and cuts in and out. Not a big repair, but still, as lazy as I am, is a bother. One thing is for sure, the original strings are going to be replaced by my trusty Ernie Ball's. If you're interested, Musicians Friend is where i got it and they say it's a clearance item, so you may want to check it out soon.

i would say most sales from Les Pauls are because Mr. Page uses them. same with Danelectro. i would say this is a good guitar if you can find one.

i would agree that it hasn't hurt Gibson's sales that Jimmy uses a Les Paul, but all in all, it was pretty popular before he started playing them. The same with the Dano. There were more than a few who would use one for a specialty guitar, or it was their first axe.

It's not exactly a front line guitar.

Funny you should mention this. I was/am equally obsessed with same guitar and, in fact, just received one today. I ordered it through a mail order catalog by a famous, reputable organization and have just finished playing it after an hour and a half. My assessment may not be final, but in reality, it's a cheap feeling instrument but tuned to a D chord, the sound is very Pagey indeed. My biggest disappointment is that the treble pickup pot has a short and cuts in and out. Not a big repair, but still, as lazy as I am, is a bother. One thing is for sure, the original strings are going to be replaced by my trusty Ernie Ball's. If you're interested, Musicians Friend is where i got it and they say it's a clearance item, so you may want to check it out soon.

Well, I would love to have this guitar sometime soon, but for me being a beginner and knowing nothing about guitars, this is kind of overkill. I was thinking about spending maybe no more than $150 for my first guitar. I know I seem like I am backing out, but I'm not. Trust me. I actually googled this guitar and there is another site offering it for about the same price as musician's friend. So when I do decide to get it, hopefully I will and it will still be there. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I bought a used one but in good condition.

Well, I would love to have this guitar sometime soon, but for me being a beginner and knowing nothing about guitars, this is kind of overkill. I was thinking about spending maybe no more than $150 for my first guitar. I know I seem like I am backing out, but I'm not. Trust me. I actually googled this guitar and there is another site offering it for about the same price as musician's friend. So when I do decide to get it, hopefully I will and it will still be there. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if I bought a used one but in good condition.

The older the instrument (wooden), he sweeter the sound but buying second hand is a lottery.

Also the popular types like Teles, Strats and Gibsons tend to hold and in most cases increase their value.

http://www.vintageguitaroutlet.com/

Jimmy is well known for adding or changing things on his guitars so unless you have the same refinements, it's impossible to get the same tones that he does.

But don't let that stop you.

My advice is to get a reasonable acoustic guitar to learn on and then graduate to an electric and amps etc.

You will get more value in your playing because while it's not necessarily harder to play, acoustics generally have wider necks and getting used to that aspect will improve your playing.

Besides a good song is any you can play on acoustic guitar.

i would agree that it hasn't hurt Gibson's sales that Jimmy uses a Les Paul, but all in all, it was pretty popular before he started playing them. The same with the Dano. There were more than a few who would use one for a specialty guitar, or it was their first axe.

It's not exactly a front line guitar.

true. i knew they were popular before Jimmy, but yeah i agree its not a front line guitar. some people wouldnt have heard about the Dano if it wasnt for Jimmy. i know thats its encouraged me to get a Dano and a Les Paul :D

I've played a few of the Daneltros and I gotta say that the new versions are not that great. The vintage ones are much better guitars. Page himself changed the neck on the one he has. I personally would get an Epiphone or Squier to start off with. But as you learn you will understand a lot more of what you want out of a guitar. Good luck with finding one that you like! I hope that you are successful

In the late 90's there were several variations reissued of that double cutaway Danelectro and because of the low price I had one of each. There was the standard version (that most resembled the originals), an acoustic-electric (with sound hole), a three pickup version (with a switch so you could get any combination of the pickups), and then there was a more professional version of the original (with better tuners and strap pegs).

I thought they were very good (even better that the originals) for the money and you could even adjust the neck (you had to remove the neck to do so).

In the late 90's there were several variations reissued of that double cutaway Danelectro and because of the low price I had one of each. There was the standard version (that most resembled the originals), an acoustic-electric (with sound hole), a three pickup version (with a switch so you could get any combination of the pickups), and then there was a more professional version of the original (with better tuners and strap pegs).

I thought they were very good (even better that the originals) for the money and you could even adjust the neck (you had to remove the neck to do so).

Wow that's cool that you have one of each! I just want one lol!

I could be mistaken and i might have actually played vintage dano's. I was just not impressed but if they were worked on, they could be very good guitars. I basically love the lipstick pickups on them. so cool looking. being an owner of those guitars you would obviously know more than me so thanks for posting the info. (maybe i'll invest in one someday if i had the money)

jimmy-page_dano59.jpg

Danelectro's where made wildly popular in the early 1960's with groups like the Beach Boy's, they where liked by others too. I believe the late 1950's and early 1960's is where they started getting big with noted player's.

It really depends on what you want to do with this guitar as to what to get and how much to spend on it.

You want to play in a full time band working in the music business?

If so, start out with a better guitar, a good brand name, put some money into it, at least $1000.00 US. Then start playing every day! If you get good at it (I mean if lot's of people tell you that) then stay with it and buy better axes as you go. If you truly still suck after a few months quit while your ahead!

You want to play around your house for yourself, your pet's and family/friend's with no intention of going any where with it at all?

If so, it matter's not the brand name and don't spend any more than $300.00 US on it.

If you want to be a collector, try and find the old original guitars from the time and place where they where first produced. The lower the serial number the better, or if you can find one with documentation of certain person's ownership, that would be good too.

I would say a Squire is an excellent choice. Personally, I played a Gibson SG for years and was totally satisfied. It may be hype but Gibson touts them as having the "fastest neck in the world". Plenty of well-knowns played them such as Angus Young, Carlos Santana, and even Jimmy's double-neck was an SG. Go to the music store and give it a try. Better yet, the pawn shop if you want to save money.

triplejam.jpg

That's me on the right with the SG.

Getting an acoustic first is the way to go if you think this is going to be a long time hobby or even a profession.

If you want to go strait for the electric and your limit is 300, then you should go to the music store and try out the Squire and Epiphone LP special or studio or whatever they call it.

I started out with a crappy old acoustic and just played when I was bored (often) and it developed into a passion. I have a Epiphone standard plus LP for two years now and plan on getting a Gibson and/or American Strat sometime in the future.

LOL! Yah I just wanna prance around and play for my cat's! No but really since I don't know s-it about guitars, I draw the line at $300 for a guitar. I will probably wind up with a Squire or something.

Some people do just that.

I'm not joking Led Zep Girl, you should follow my advice, I've been playing for decades and I'm trying to help you my friend.

Squire's are ok but, a real Fender Strat will make a world of difference. Like others here have said, go to the store and try some out first.

Some people do just that.

I'm not joking Led Zep Girl, you should follow my advice, I've been playing for decades and I'm trying to help you my friend.

Squire's are ok but, a real Fender Strat will make a world of difference. Like others here have said, go to the store and try some out first.

I will most definitely take and follow your advice. I don't plan to get famous for playing the guitar, it has sort of been a passion for me to learn though. Kind of like a goal I have set for myself. And I will achieve it...

I just wanted to say to everybody who has replied on this thread, thank you. You have helped me in so many ways. When I do get my guitar, I will let you know. You guys definitely know what your talking about! I know I may not seem like I am taking this seriously, but I truly am. I have a friend who is willing to give me some lessons as soon as I get my guitar. He's 75 years old, but he has played guitar for years and still does open mic nights! To me that's amazing! I also have a cousin who is willing to help. He's a drummer in his band, but he too plays guitar. I am so fortunate to have friends and family help me achieve my goal. And I appreciate you guys just as much. Thanks again! :)

Archived