2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

hollyamos22

I LOVE the Winter Olympics!! I'm definitely cheering for Apolo Ohno and Lindsey Vonn (if she ends up competing), and whoever's figure skating for the U.S. (I love figure skating, but I haven't been keeping up with it lately...all I've heard is that somebody from South Korea's the favorite to win). Biathlon's pretty rad, too, and I'll be watching, but I don't know anything about anybody who's competing in it.

And then there's hockey! I probably should be cheering for the U.S. team, but there are so many players I like from the NHL who are all on different teams that I can't choose a favorite team. I think Russia will probably win and the U.S. probably won't, but I wouldn't mind seeing either of those two or Canada or Sweden or Finland win. I kinda hope Canada wins because it's in Vancouver and all, but I wouldn't be totally bummed if, say, Russia won.

The 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics are starting tomorrow night on NBC! Anyone watching and/or cheering for a specific athlete? I am cheering for short track speedskater Apolo Ohno! cheer.gif

nhl.gifskiing.gifnhl_checking.gifslapshot.gif

If he hadn't retired I'd be going for the bloke in the green next to him, Stephen Bradbury.

The 2002 Olympic champion in the 1000m.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-DHgMiN6Nlc

That was an AWESOME opening!!! Brian Adams and K.D. Lang were both so good tonight - the show was fabulous too - I really liked those guys hanging from the ceiling spinning around with skis and snowboards and such!

So many amazing Canadians! I was very proud of them all! Not to mention all the talented athletes. I love to see all the different places the athletes are from - especially the small teams from unlikely places.

Too bad about the young man on the luge. Very sad way to start one of the best sporting events. Life is so very short - seek out the joy. RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili.

edited 'cos I can't spell

If he hadn't retired I'd be going for the bloke in the green next to him, Stephen Bradbury.

The 2002 Olympic champion in the 1000m.

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=-DHgMiN6Nlc

The first time I was ever exposed to Apolo was during the 2002 games. I very vividly recall jumping up and down on our couch (Mom and Dad weren't home..... shhh....) as Apolo came around the final turn and then got taken out. My heart sank. He punctured his inner thigh with the back of his skate blade when he hit the wall. Still came back to win a gold in the 1500m though. rolleyes.gif

Sad way to start the games

http://olympics.thestar.com/

Very sad indeed. So incredibly unfortunate it had to happen so close to the potential fulfillment of his Olympic dream. Saw the video of the crash on the news. Horrific. Really horrific. I started crying, in fact. Will probably be avoiding any replays of that during future news reports. I hope he rests in peace.

That was an AWESOME opening!!! Brian Adams and K.D. Lang were both so good tonight - the show was fabulous too - I really liked those guys hanging from the ceiling spinning around with skis and snowboards and such!

So many amazing Canadians! I was very proud of them all! Not to mention all the talented athletes. I love to see all the different places the athletes are from - especially the small teams from unlikely places.

Too bad about the young man on the luge. Very sad way to start one of the best sporting events. Life is so very short - seek out the joy. RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili.

edited 'cos I can't spell

I'd forgotten just how sweet a voice KD has. Thought she was fabulous !

Very sad indeed. So incredibly unfortunate it had to happen so close to the potential fulfillment of his Olympic dream. Saw the video of the crash on the news. Horrific. Really horrific. I started crying, in fact. Will probably be avoiding any replays of that during future news reports. I hope he rests in peace.

Yes indeed. The tragedy of this young mans death should be remembered throughout the games as a focal point for all involved regardless of any athletic success or disappointments.

I heard they had to truck in snow. Bummer. Too bad they couldn't ship the east coast weather to the NW.

Yeah they did. Unseasonably warm weather forced them to truck in snow to Cypress Mnt. which is a local ski hill . Whistler has plenty and that's where the major alpine events will be held.

As it happens, today they are calling for snow on the local mountains.

I enjoyed that opening ceremony. Using the floor as a screen was great. Really liked the part where the whales swam across the floor and surfaced with the blowholes shooting up. It was very realistic. Fell asleep with the speeches momentarily but saw the lighting of the torch. To bad they had a glich on the 4th pillar.

I enjoyed that opening ceremony. Using the floor as a screen was great. Really liked the part where the whales swam across the floor and surfaced with the blowholes shooting up. It was very realistic. Fell asleep with the speeches momentarily but saw the lighting of the torch. To bad they had a glich on the 4th pillar.

Ha, I fell asleep for a good portion of it myself biggrin.gif

Ha, I fell asleep for a good portion of it myself biggrin.gif

Me too :bagoverhead:

Ever since I was little I've wanted to go down one of those ski jumps; just once! :lol: I love watching the snowboarding, the downhill skiing and extreme skiing too (and of course the figure skating). Anything that's super fast!

(I was very sad to hear about the luger; that's terrible :( )

Me sleepy too, barely made it through the Native American performance....colorful.

I liked our berets they wore here in SLC better. :D "Luckily" I wasn't here though.

Saw a guy the other day who looked JUST like Shawn White...(is that his name?) He said he gets that all the time. Pretty cute.

Man, the Vancouver skyline is BEAUTIFUL at night. It really is gorgeous up there. Never been but I'd love to go someday.

Hey Ally, :wave: glad you do have snow coming, I know how nerve racking it is in an Olympic year hoping the snow is killer. But Lady Nature makes up her own plans. We haven't near the great totals we've had for a while this year either.

:skiing:

Archived