Exile On Main St. Reissue

Mr E

Source

The Rolling Stones are to release their Exile On Main Street album as a deluxe reissue on 17 May, it has been announced.

News of the reissue previously emerged when the Stones remastered their entire post-1971 back catalogue but until now the contents of the new version of Exile had been under-wraps.

The Exile reissue will be repackaged with a bonus CD of ten previously unreleased and only recently discovered material.

The unearthed tracks which include such titles as “Plundered My Soul,” “Dancing in the Light,” “Following the River” and “Pass The Wine” have been remastered and finished off, while staying true to the essence of the 1972 album. Alternate versions of “Soul Survivor” and “Loving Cup” also are a part of the Exile bonus materials. The 10 unreleased tracks have been produced by Jimmy Miller, The Glimmer Twins and Don Was.

The new reissue will coincide with a brand new documentary entitled Stones In Exile which features rare, never-before-seen archival film, photos and interviews as well as new conversations with the band and the artists they influenced. Produced by Oscar -winning filmmaker John Battsek and directed by Stephen Kijak, who is known for award-winning work on Cinemania and Scott Walker: 30 Century Man, Stones in Exile offers a glimpse into the lives of the band as they created one of the greatest albums of all time.

Exile on Main Street will be available in a couple of formats: the original 18 track release; a deluxe CD edition with the 10 special bonus tracks; and a super deluxe package that also includes vinyl, a 30-minute documentary DVD with footage from Cocksucker Blues, Ladies and Gentlemen… the Rolling Stones and Stones in Exile, and a 50-page collector’s book with photos from the Exile era.

Source

The Rolling Stones are to release their Exile On Main Street album as a deluxe reissue on 17 May, it has been announced.

News of the reissue previously emerged when the Stones remastered their entire post-1971 back catalogue but until now the contents of the new version of Exile had been under-wraps.

The Exile reissue will be repackaged with a bonus CD of ten previously unreleased and only recently discovered material.

The unearthed tracks which include such titles as “Plundered My Soul,” “Dancing in the Light,” “Following the River” and “Pass The Wine” have been remastered and finished off, while staying true to the essence of the 1972 album. Alternate versions of “Soul Survivor” and “Loving Cup” also are a part of the Exile bonus materials. The 10 unreleased tracks have been produced by Jimmy Miller, The Glimmer Twins and Don Was.

The new reissue will coincide with a brand new documentary entitled Stones In Exile which features rare, never-before-seen archival film, photos and interviews as well as new conversations with the band and the artists they influenced. Produced by Oscar -winning filmmaker John Battsek and directed by Stephen Kijak, who is known for award-winning work on Cinemania and Scott Walker: 30 Century Man, Stones in Exile offers a glimpse into the lives of the band as they created one of the greatest albums of all time.

Exile on Main Street will be available in a couple of formats: the original 18 track release; a deluxe CD edition with the 10 special bonus tracks; and a super deluxe package that also includes vinyl, a 30-minute documentary DVD with footage from Cocksucker Blues, Ladies and Gentlemen… the Rolling Stones and Stones in Exile, and a 50-page collector’s book with photos from the Exile era.

Great!!!Sounds cool!!The Stones are my favourite band,and i'll be pleased with this deluxe remaster!I just wish i'd been able to see them live... :rolleyes:

Source

The unearthed tracks which include such titles as "Plundered My Soul," "Dancing in the Light," "Following the River" and "Pass The Wine" have been remastered and finished off, while staying true to the essence of the 1972 album. Alternate versions of "Soul Survivor" and "Loving Cup" also are a part of the Exile bonus materials. The 10 unreleased tracks have been produced by Jimmy Miller, The Glimmer Twins and Don Was.

I'm just a bit suspect of the production here. remastered and finished off, staying true to the essence of the 1972 album......produced by The Glimmer Twins ( Keith and Mick only, right? ) Don Was....

leads me to believe there may have been some added material post-72.

If so that would take the wind out of the sails for me. I hope I'm wrong.

I'm just a bit suspect of the production here. remastered and finished off, staying true to the essence of the 1972 album......produced by The Glimmer Twins ( Keith and Mick only, right? ) Don Was....

leads me to believe there may have been some added material post-72.

If so that would take the wind out of the sails for me. I hope I'm wrong.

I just found this, there goes the wind. :( I don't like it when old music (new Hendrix anyone?) is tampered with like this. Even Keith was hesistant.

Jagger recently wrote and sang new lyrics for "Following The River." Longtime Stones producer Don Was supervised the entire project with Jagger and Richards.

The collection will also feature alternate versions of both "Soul Survivor" and "Loving Cup."

Jagger talked about the "missing" tracks, saying, "I went back in the archives and dug out a load of things. I added some percussion and some vocals. Keith put guitar on one or two."

Richards said that he was hesitant to tamper with history: "I really wanted to leave them pretty much as they were. I didn't want to interfere with the Bible, you know. They still had that great basement sound."

http://www.therockradio.com/2010/02/rolling-stones-exile-on-main-street.html

Too bad, it's all about $$$. The Stones are still greedy after all these years. I don't have a turntable so I'd have no use for the vinyl(maybe I could make some of those clocks and sell them on ebay)but to get the DVD I'd have to shell-out the bucks.

And if the Stones have any sense of decency they will at least put out Ladies And Gentlemen on DVD and blu-ray.

I'm mostly looking forward to the DVD. Hopefully there will be a few gems on it I haven't seen as on the "Ya Ya's" DVD. The difference between the ""Ya Ya's" re-release & the "Exile" re-release is that Abkco put out the former & the Stones themselves are putting out the latter, & somewhat surprisingly the Abcko release looks to be the lesser money gauging product. I agree, no one really needs the vinyl in this packaged release & Mick doesn't need to tamper with old tracks. I really don't want to hear 1971-1972 era Stones demo's via 2009 production, they should have been released warts & all. I don't know if out of insecurity on his part or what not but Jagger always feels he has to put a modern spin on old songs which only ends up making them seem dated rather than classic, the Dr Dre remix of "Miss You" instantly comes to mind. Tampering with these tracks is a different scenario than the piece meal work of "Tattoo You", which with the exception of "Waiting On A Friend" & "Heaven", all the other tracks were taken during the "Some Girls" & "Emotional Rescue" sessions with the same band lineup & the Glimmer Twins themselves as producers. The studio embellishments on "Tattoo You" worked because it was cohesive & came across rather seemless. The longest distance between tracks was less than 10 years rather than approaching 30 years. Jagger still has a good voice but he doesn't sing like he did in 1971 or even 1981. The differences on these new tampered tracks will be very obvious I believe.

I think the greatness of Exile On Main St is somewhat of a myth and this reissue deluxe set is the record company exploiting that myth. There's an article in the new Rolling Stone that says this was the record companies idea to start with. Finding good tracks from just the Exile sessions is too limiting of a span of time. If they would go through the tapes from their entire career I'm sure they could find much better gems than this stuff. This project is just one more example of the growing trend of over priced box sets. Needless to say, The Stones could please many more fans by finally releasing Ladies And Gentlemen on DVD and blu ray and making just as big of a deal or even bigger out of it's release as they are of this half baked project.

I read about the modern embellishments and completely lost interest in this re-issue. Unfortunately the Stones seem to not be able to release their archive material properly.

I'll take a rain check here.

Regards;

I think the greatness of Exile On Main St is somewhat of a myth

But some myths turn out to be true. One of the greatest albums ever, and I'm going to be all over this, including the vinyl, even though I've had the original since 1972.

Too bad, it's all about $$$. The Stones are still greedy after all these years.

Mick and Keith are reported to be worth over $240 million apiece. I doubt they need the cash.

Since Woody wasn`t a member then, maybe Charlie, Bill or Mick Taylor need the money.

It depends whether the bonus tracks are any good really before I decide to purchase. I'm also especially interested in whether Ladies and Gentlemen..The Rolling Stones is included in its entirety or whether it's just a few clips. I have noticed that online retailers such as amazon, play.com and hmv.com all list the bonus DVD as containing Stones in Exile, Cocksucker blues and Ladies and Gentlemen...The Rolling Stones. Would be great to have that concert footage finally released on DVD. They should give the option to buy the DVD separately though as the super deluxe edition seems rather pricey at £100!

Mick and Keith are reported to be worth over $240 million apiece. I doubt they need the cash.

Since Woody wasn`t a member then, maybe Charlie, Bill or Mick Taylor need the money.

It's safe to say that as much money as Mick and Keith have, they still want as much more of it as they can get. And then there is the record company who came up with this idea in the first place.

But some myths turn out to be true. One of the greatest albums ever, and I'm going to be all over this, including the vinyl, even though I've had the original since 1972.

I doubt if it wasn't for the true greatness of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya, Ya's Out, and Sticky Fingers, (all four albums in a row, right before Exile) that we would be talking about Exile here today. I remember reading somewhere that Glyn Johns (I think it was) said they were getting such a bad sound when they were recording it.

It depends whether the bonus tracks are any good really before I decide to purchase. I'm also especially interested in whether Ladies and Gentlemen..The Rolling Stones is included in its entirety or whether it's just a few clips. I have noticed that online retailers such as amazon, play.com and hmv.com all list the bonus DVD as containing Stones in Exile, Cocksucker blues and Ladies and Gentlemen...The Rolling Stones. Would be great to have that concert footage finally released on DVD. They should give the option to buy the DVD separately though as the super deluxe edition seems rather pricey at £100!

I haven't been able to fine it on amazon yet, but I'm willing to bet the farm that Cocksucker blues and Ladies and Gentlemen will not be included in their entirety. That would be one of the biggest business blunders of all time, to include them in this set in their entirety, but then not making Ladies and Gentlemen available on DVD and blu ray is just that....a business blunder.

I doubt if it wasn't for the true greatness of Beggars Banquet, Let It Bleed, Get Yer Ya, Ya's Out, and Sticky Fingers, (all four albums in a row, right before Exile) that we would be talking about Exile here today. I remember reading somewhere that Glyn Johns (I think it was) said they were getting such a bad sound when they were recording it.

If Exile was the only (double) album they'd ever recorded, many of us would still be talking about it today.

I think we would. If ANY of these albums was the one and only album released in that period of time, we would still be talkin about it.

Speaking of greed, Jagger & co is business men and they live in a capitalistic and greedy world. They do what most people would do I guess, make as much money as possible.. lol

I think we would. If ANY of these albums was the one and only album released in that period of time, we would still be talkin about it.

Speaking of greed, Jagger & co is business men and they live in a capitalistic and greedy world. They do what most people would do I guess, make as much money as possible.. lol

According to the article in the new Rolling Stone, some of the tracks for this Deluxe set were recorded in 1969. So, reading between the lines, they are taking songs that were more in the Let It Bleed and Sticky fingers period and using them to hype the Exile myth.

I'm not saying that I don't enjoy Exile, but to fully enjoy it I have to be in the right mood, in the right room with the right acoustics and play it at the right volume. Where as those four albums that came before Exile are a little more accessible on my enjoyment scale.

Another words, in order to enjoy Exile I have to try to like it. There's nothing wrong with the songs, it's just that the sound quality is so bad.

In a way it's fitting that they are doing this in the name of Exile On Main Street, because the project is a marketing gimmick anyway.

Archived