Jeff Beck's New Album: Emotion & Commotion

georgio

Oh Gawd! Don't tell me he's lowered himself to doing a Judy Garland song.

It's actually really beautiful and interesting. So is Nessun Dorma. They are both done as instrumentals.

• 4 weeks later...

Well Mr. Beck sits down and talks to Alice Cooper about his new album. biggrin.gif

Click Here

I loved that interview with Alice Cooper. Alice is a great interviewer. There were alot of interesting tidbits from Jeff that were revealed.

Thanks for posting the link, Led Zep Girl. smile.gif

I am sure that Jeff was emulating Les Paul's version of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow", as well as the Judy Garland version. Les had been playing the song for years, and it was one of his signature pieces.

Jeff Beck A Tribute to Les Paul

I must admit I hated this song till I heard Jeff play it! :D I hadn't heard Les Paul's version before, thanks for that.

Hello Aquamarine!

I know you were there:-). I can't wait to hear this live as well as everything else this Friday at Chastain Park here in Atlanta.

Jeff Beck Somewhere Over The Rainbow-Live At The 2010 New Orleans Jazzfest

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFLtHM7WWrs

Regarding Jeff Beck's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow": at the show I recently attended he played it beautifully, amazingly and then right at the finish, he stopped playing his guitar for a second and slowly raised both hands to the audience...at that point, people stood up, clapping their hands and cheering...after it was quiet again, Jeff laughed and said to the audience, "When I did this (and he made the motion again with his hands) that meant I wanted you to sing the end of the song." :P

Regarding Jeff Beck's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow": at the show I recently attended he played it beautifully, amazingly and then right at the finish, he stopped playing his guitar for a second and slowly raised both hands to the audience...at that point, people stood up, clapping their hands and cheering...after it was quiet again, Jeff laughed and said to the audience, "When I did this (and he made the motion again with his hands) that meant I wanted you to sing the end of the song." :P

Hello MSG!

Thanks for the heads up :lol: This will be my third time to see the amazing Mr. Beck and I am just as excited as the first two times. :D

Hello Aquamarine!

I know you were there:-). I can't wait to hear this live as well as everything else this Friday at Chastain Park here in Atlanta.

Jeff Beck Somewhere Over The Rainbow-Live At The 2010 New Orleans Jazzfest

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=KFLtHM7WWrs

Hi Deborah! You will have a blast!!

I saw him play last Saturday at the Borgata, in Atlantic City.

It was a really great show in a small (1000 seat) venue. They played with a lot of energy, and really rocked the place.

Rhonda stepped up to the front of the stage, and wailed away with her solo. She also contributed some vocals for Rollin' and Tumblin'. You could feel the beat Narada was laying down.

They were all laughing and smiling and having a good time. Jeff was high 5ing and shaking hands with people in the front row. They played Hammerhead, Mna Na Eireann, Big Block, and Brush With The Blues.

They were really tight, and connected with the crowd. Two encores - he brought a Les Paul out for How High the Moon, and back to the Strat for Nessun Dorma.

They were really tight, and connected with the crowd. Two encores - he brought a Les Paul out for How High the Moon, and back to the Strat for Nessun Dorma.

How High The Moon is another Les Paul signature song, recorded in 1951 with his wife, Mary Ford.

I don't know if anyone caught that on one of my previous posts, but Jeff Beck is playing a tribute to Les Paul tomorrow, June 8th, and Wednesday, June 9th, at the Iridium in NYC. The Iridium is the club where Les used to play on Monday nights. This should be a fantastic show. I would love to see it, but alas, I found out about it too late to make arrangements to attend. Maybe some of you in the NYC area can make it. I hope so!

Jeff Beck at the Iridium on June 8 and 9

Gibson Guitars and Jeff Beck honoring Les Paul at the Iridium

Jeff Beck will stage two intimate performances at New York’s Iridium Jazz Club to honor the late great Les Paul, presented by Gibson Guitar and the Iridium. Titled “A Celebration of Les Paul,” the shows will take place on June 8 and June 9, and will mix memorable Les Paul classics with rockabilly favorites.

Beck will be joined on stage by Irish sensation The Imelda May Band. Beck and May have collaborated on several occasions, including a performance of Paul’s “How High the Moon” at the 2010 Grammy Awards. May also appears on the track “Lilac Wine,” from Beck’s Emotion & Commotion album.

Recalling his longstanding friendship with Les Paul, Beck said his admiration of the late guitar pioneer dates back to the ‘60s. “When I first heard Les Paul playing ‘How High the Moon,’ I thought, man, that’s what I want my sound to be like,” Beck said. “Now, here I am years later and he’s still a powerful influence in all that I do.”

Les Paul played weekly at The Iridium for more than 12 years. The club now presents special Monday evenings dedicated to Paul, featuring guitarists from all genres of music. Twenty percent of the door proceeds is donated to The Les Paul Foundation.

How High The Moon is another Les Paul signature song, recorded in 1951 with his wife, Mary Ford.

I don't know if anyone caught that on one of my previous posts, but Jeff Beck is playing a tribute to Les Paul tomorrow, June 8th, and Wednesday, June 9th, at the Iridium in NYC. The Iridium is the club where Les used to play on Monday nights. This should be a fantastic show. I would love to see it, but alas, I found out about it too late to make arrangements to attend. Maybe some of you in the NYC area can make it. I hope so!

Jeff Beck at the Iridium on June 8 and 9

Gibson Guitars and Jeff Beck honoring Les Paul at the Iridium

Thanks BUCK EYE DOC and RPOZ51 for the links.

I am sure this would be amazing to attend!!If anyone does go can you share the details with us :D

Thanks BUCK EYE DOC and RPOZ51 for the links.

I am sure this would be amazing to attend!!If anyone does go can you share the details with us biggrin.gif

Admission to these shows is very limited. Word is that it will mostly be special guests.

The plan is to film it for release, though.

I may stroll by there after work, and see what there is to see.

Admission to these shows is very limited. Word is that it will mostly be special guests.

The plan is to film it for release, though.

I may stroll by there after work, and see what there is to see.

From Gibson.com:

Ace Frehley, Zakk Wylde to Join Jeff Beck at Les Paul Tribute

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/News/les-paul-tribute-0602/

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/ArtistsAndEvents/Stories/imelda-may-0603/

Jeff Beck and The Imelda May Band are paying tribute to Les Paul at New York’s Iridium Jazz Club for what would have been the guitar legend’s 95th birthday. Sponsored by Gibson Guitar, “A Celebration of Les Paul” will take place June 8 and 9, and feature a number of other special guests, too.

Scheduled to appear at the intimate performance are:

- Ace Frehley

- Zakk Wylde

- Johnny Winters (maybe they meant Johnny Winter)

- John McEnroe

- Meat Loaf

- Steve Miller

- Robbie Robertson

- Nils Lofgren

- Warren Haynes

- Paul Shaffer

- Nigel Lythgoe

- Johnny A.

- Stephen Colbert

- Gibson Guitar Chairman/CEO Henry Juszkiewicz

- John Varvatos

Beck, the Imelda May Band and the assortment of special guests will perform Les Paul classics and some rockabilly tunes from the era. Read our recent interview with Jeff Beck about the shows here. For exclusive coverage of the Les Paul celebration stay tuned to Gibson.com.

R B)

Hello MSG!

Thanks for the heads up :lol: This will be my third time to see the amazing Mr. Beck and I am just as excited as the first two times. :D

Hello Deborah!

You're welcome. ;) I don't know where your seats are but if you are in the first (maybe even the second row) you might be able to shake hands with Jeff - he did that at the show I attended. He was very cool and gracious to the fans who came to the stage after the show. Someone handed him a small bouquet of flowers, he looked at it for a second, and then separated the flowers and handed the single flowers out to women standing at the stage. :) The entire show was fantastic - Hammerhead live is astounding - and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Hello Deborah!

You're welcome. wink.gif I don't know where your seats are but if you are in the first (maybe even the second row) you might be able to shake hands with Jeff - he did that at the show I attended. He was very cool and gracious to the fans who came to the stage after the show. Someone handed him a small bouquet of flowers, he looked at it for a second, and then separated the flowers and handed the single flowers out to women standing at the stage. smile.gif The entire show was fantastic - Hammerhead live is astounding - and I'm sure you'll have a great time.

Were you at the Borgata? That sounds exactly like what he did there. biggrin.gif

In concert: Jeff Beck at Wolf Trap

http://blog.washingt..._at_wolf_t.html

jeffbeckpropp04_454.jpgRecent Rock Hall inductee Jeff Beck showed off his skills at Wolf Trap. (All photos by Andrew Propp/FTWP)

By Mike Joyce

You can count on British rock guitarist Jeff Beck to serve up two things in concert - impeccable musicianship and an improbable selection of tunes. That alone was enough to generate numerous standing ovations when the 65 year old Rock and Roll Hall of Famer fronted a thundering quartet at Wolf Trap on Monday night.

Beck's virtuosity was indeed breathtaking at times, especially when the din of Stratocaster-driven power chords gave way to exquisitely sustained melodic arcs, subtle harmonic nuances and an unusually colorful assortment of rhythmic textures and tweaks. Beck doesn't use a pick - just his fingers and whammy bar, which is one of the reasons why he has such a distinctive and expressive sound.

jeffbeckpropp03_454.jpg

Over of the course of a dozen and a half tunes, drummer Narada Michael Walden, bassist Rhonda Smith and keyboardist Jason Rebello specialized in the sharply syncopated funk thrust showcased on Beck's recent CD "Emotion & Commotion." But there were mood shifts aplenty, with engaging or novel arrangements of "People Get Ready," "A Day In the Life" and "I Want To Take You Higher." (And let's face, if you have to hear Beck indulge his taste for sentimental pop, listening to him play "Over The Rainbow" in a summery, outdoors setting isn't a bad way to go.)

When he returned for the inevitable encores, Beck was toting a Les Paul guitar. He saluted Paul, the late guitarist and inventor, with an appropriately nimble and multi-layered version of "How High The Moon." A flamboyant flourish brought the show to a close, with the band performing "Nessun Dorma," as if arranged for Beck's own pops symphony.

jeffbeckpropp02_454.jpg

jeffbeckpropp01_454.jpg

var entrycat = 'In concert'By David Malitz | June 8, 2010; 2:00 PM ET

Hello RPOZ51!

Thank you so much for sharing this. What great photos and overview of the event. I thought I could not get any more excited about seeing Beck again.

Really appreciate you sharing this :D

Hello RPOZ51!

Thank you so much for sharing this. What great photos and overview of the event. I thought I could not get any more excited about seeing Beck again.

Really appreciate you sharing this biggrin.gif

Deborah, you're so welcome. Really.

I'm happy to find other Jeff Beck fans. Among my music loving friends, I'm alone in a crowd.

I'm getting excited for you. I really hope you have a great time.

I'm listening to a download of the Boston show now . . .

"Boom chacka lacka lacka . . . . "

June 9, 2010, 12:53 pm

Jeff Beck Leads Les Paul Tribute at Iridium

By LARRY ROTHERLarry Busacca/Getty Images For Gibson Jeff Beck performing at Iridium.

http://artsbeat.blog...ute-at-iridium/

beck480-blogSpan.jpg

Les Paul, the father of the electric guitar, often used to say that the favorite of his many disciples was Jeff Beck, a two-time inductee into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for his work as a member of the Yardbirds and as a solo artist. Mr. Beck, in turn, has always said that his interest in the instrument was born when he heard "How High the Moon" on the radio as a 6 year old. So when Iridium, the New York City jazz club where Les Paul had a Monday night residency until his death last year, was looking for someone to lead a tribute to Paul, Mr. Beck was the logical choice.Tuesday night was the first of two such shows; Wednesday would have been Les Paul's 95th birthday, and a second performance is scheduled for Wednesday night. Mr. Beck is appearing with Imelda May, the Irish rockabilly singer with whom he performed "How High the Moon" at the Grammy Awards in Los Angeles early this year, and her band, in a setting that is far smaller and more intimate than those he usually plays, and on Tuesday night seemed inspired, playing 27 songs ranging from Les Paul standards to rockabilly and blues. His manager, Harvey Goldsmith, announced at the beginning of that show that both performances were being filmed, first for broadcast as a PBS special at the end of the year and then for release as a DVD.

Roughly speaking, Mr. Beck's long and passionate set was divided into three parts. The opening section, beginning with Elvis Presley's "Baby, Let's Play House" was pure rockabilly and allowed Mr. Beck to acknowledge some of the influences he absorbed after his initial exposure to Les Paul: Scotty Moore and Cliff Gallup in particular, but also with occasional Link Wray, Duane Eddy and Roy Buchanan flourishes thrown in. That part of the show also included a tune associated with Mr. Beck's own repertory, a reading of Johnny Burnette's "Train Kept A Rollin'" that was truer to the song's origins than the Yardbirds hit versions and other later recordings by Aerosmith and others.

After Imelda May took the stage, the show soon switched over to renditions of Les Paul's greatest hits, with Mr. Beck replicating some of the original solos, notoriously tricky, especially when not overdubbed, and transforming others by adopting a more stinging tone. In addition to "How High the Moon," he tackled "Vaya con Dios," "Mockingbird Hill," "Bye Bye Blues," "Tiger Rag" and, most challenging of all, "The World Is Waiting for the Sunrise." In an effort to duplicate Mary Ford's multi-tracked vocals on the original recordings, Imelda May sang the lead vocal live, but with harmony parts that she had previously recorded serving as a backing.

To wrap things up, Beck brought a three man horn section on stage to join the ensemble, beginning with a sledgehammer version of "The Peter Gunn Theme." There were cameos by Gary U.S. Bonds and Brian Setzer, originally of the neo-rockabilly band The Stray Cats, and plenty of unexpected or obscure song choices, including The Shangri-Las' "Remember (Walkin' in the Sand)," Sister Wynona Carr's "Please Mr. Jailer" and even the 1961 instrumental hit "Apache," originally by Jorgen Ingmann. "This is the first thing I ever played that got me noticed, so I thought I'd play it," Mr. Beck explained.

One final note for guitar fanatics: Beck played at least five different guitars during the Tuesday show. During the Les Paul segment he obviously wanted to stick to the tribute theme, and played a sunburst Les Paul, which should please the Gibson guitar people who were associated with the event and had a giant bus with a Gibson logo parked outside Iridium. But his primary instrument for years has been the Fender Telecaster, and he played two of those, one for slide parts and another for finger picking. "Bring my boy out," he said, referring to the latter just before the assault on "Peter Gunn" began.

Archived