Is Zeppelin a metal band or hippie band?

Sabbath, Purple and Zeppelin are seen as the first three 'heavy metal' bands.

Out of those three Sabbath is the only one as I see as 'heavy metal' although Purple did have quite a few metal elements e.g. Ritchie Blackmore's neo-classical shredding.

I personally see Zeppelin as a rock/blues band who were not 'heavy metal' (give or take a couple of songs) although Zeppelin did go on to influence metal musicians. E.g. Zakk Wylde cites Jimmy Page as a big influence. Metallica cite Zeppelin as a big influence.

Zeppelin was one of the first bands to be categorized as "Metal". Back in those days, there was no contradiction between being a Hippie band and being a Metal band. I remember how offended when AC/DC promoters tried to ride on the coat tails of Zeppelin by calling AC/DC the next step in Metal after Zep. It wasn't till the eighties that people started marketing themselves as Metal.

But I don't spend much time on categorizing music. I prefer to listen to it.

Please don't call them a metal band, they really deserve better than that.

Hi 'goldenguitar'

You're so right, they were never a Metal Band. A Menthol Band or Mental Band would be more appropriate. :o

Their styles of Music ranged from,

Blues

Folk

Indian

Moroccan

Rock and Roll

Samba

Classical

Jazz

Funk

Instrumental

Reggae

Country

If I've missed any please feel free to correct me via PM and i will amend, and give you the appropriate credit. :rolleyes:

They are Unclassifiable in Genre in my opinion.

Regards, Danny

Sabbath, Purple and Zeppelin are seen as the first three 'heavy metal' bands.

Out of those three Sabbath is the only one as I see as 'heavy metal' although Purple did have quite a few metal elements e.g. Ritchie Blackmore's neo-classical shredding.

I personally see Zeppelin as a rock/blues band who were not 'heavy metal' (give or take a couple of songs) although Zeppelin did go on to influence metal musicians. E.g. Zakk Wylde cites Jimmy Page as a big influence. Metallica cite Zeppelin as a big influence.

I agree with you, good to hear :D

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Danny that they don't fit into any one category; nor do I think there's been another band like them, although some may be similar in some ways. I've never considered them heavy metal; rock/blues with other influences, yes.

I would agree there is a bit of jam band in the mixture too, with regard to the improvisation and lengthy grooves in their live performances; but it's definitely way more than just that.

I agree with Danny that they don't fit into any one category; nor do I think there's been another band like them, although some may be similar in some ways. I've never considered them heavy metal; rock/blues with other influences, yes.

i've always said that Led Zeppelin were never a metal band, but they were one of the biggest influences on metal bands of the future. I would consider, if i had to categorize them, a heavy blues group, but like The Beatles, could take nearly any form of music and make it their own. Not many groups are gifted like that. And that's one of the reasons i'm a devoted fan forever.

Neither, really. I think part of their sound inspired what became heavy metal, but they certainly weren't a metal band. I also wouldn't call them a hippie band, either. A hippie band to me were groups like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Tommy James and the Shondells or The Youngbloods. Basically groups that had the bulk of their success in the "hippie" era, or 1967-1970. Robert Plant may have looked like a hippie on occasion, but I wouldn't call him or anyone else in the band one.

They were a blues rock band, in the same vein as the Stones, the Who or Deep Purple.

I also wouldn't call them a hippie band, either. A hippie band to me were groups like Strawberry Alarm Clock, Tommy James and the Shondells or The Youngbloods. Basically groups that had the bulk of their success in the "hippie" era, or 1967-1970. Robert Plant may have looked like a hippie on occasion, but I wouldn't call him or anyone else in the band one.

I wouldn't either. If anything, they helped end the "peace, love, dove" era, thank goodness.

Hippies were great for about fifteen minutes, than they became annoying :D

While I certainly remember them being called a heavy metal band, and lumped in with Deep Purple and Black Sabbath, I also remember the term "Hard Rock" being used back in the day.

I don't think the term "Classic Rock" was used until the late 80s or 90s.

No one in my circles ever called them a hippie band. There are some hippie references sprinkled throughout their studio catalog, but no more than any other influence. In concert, Robert certainly reflected on those influences.

Archived