Unrecorded shows

mos6507

I'd like to know from those who went to lots of Zep shows back in the day if there is kind of a top list of unrecorded shows, shows that are known to have had great performances but no boots.

For instance, did anyone here see them in their first scandinavian tour as the New Yardbirds?

I'd like to know from those who went to lots of Zep shows back in the day if there is kind of a top list of unrecorded shows, shows that are known to have had great performances but no boots.

For instance, did anyone here see them in their first scandinavian tour as the New Yardbirds?

Are you going to trust the recollections of dazed and hazed '60s/'70s scenesters on this???? :rolleyes:

Are you going to trust the recollections of dazed and hazed '60s/'70s scenesters on this???? :rolleyes:

To be fair I'd say that part of the magic of Zep was that so many of the shows(espeically in the early days which is where most of the unrecorded shows are) do feel like "speical" events. I can well imagine people coming away with the idea that they'd seen the band pushing it that bit further than normal(espeically during the HMMT/WLL medleys) even if the show was pretty average for the time.

That said I'd guess that the early 68 performances would be more likey to be "interesting"(maybe full versions of GTBT, YTIGC or some old yardbirds tracks) than classic. I don't think its a conincidense that Grant waited a few months to play in the US, giving them the chance to jell and reach there full potential?

The Bath 1970 show is known as a phenomenal performace, but the boot that circulates is an atrocious quality audience tape. But, I agree with the comments about the Boston Tea Party show.

That said I'd guess that the early 68 performances would be more likey to be "interesting"(maybe full versions of GTBT, YTIGC or some old yardbirds tracks) than classic. I don't think its a conincidense that Grant waited a few months to play in the US, giving them the chance to jell and reach there full potential?

They really did play YTIGC live???

They really did play YTIGC live???

Other than the meldey from 24/9/71 theres never been any confirmation that they did but its often been speculated that the reason YTIGC and GTBT(espeically the latter) were not played live is that they'd already been dropped from the setlist in 68. The main arguement agenst YTIGC being played is that the band didnt tour with an organ until 1970 although many venues did I believe have an inhouse one at the time.

If you really want to dream then what about YTIGC with a JPJ organ solo infront of it? his pre TY solo's do afterall sound rather similar to the recorded intro.

Other than the meldey from 24/9/71 theres never been any confirmation that they did but its often been speculated that the reason YTIGC and GTBT(espeically the latter) were not played live is that they'd already been dropped from the setlist in 68. The main arguement agenst YTIGC being played is that the band didnt tour with an organ until 1970 although many venues did I believe have an inhouse one at the time.

If you really want to dream then what about YTIGC with a JPJ organ solo infront of it? his pre TY solo's do afterall sound rather similar to the recorded intro.

There is a rumor that they had an organ in the early 68 shows but that's not been confirmed.

PM me, and I will tell you where you can get a list of shows, and which ones were recorded, etc.

To be fair I'd say that part of the magic of Zep was that so many of the shows(espeically in the early days which is where most of the unrecorded shows are) do feel like "speical" events. I can well imagine people coming away with the idea that they'd seen the band pushing it that bit further than normal(espeically during the HMMT/WLL medleys) even if the show was pretty average for the time.

Grant did'nt plan to wait until the US dates..in fact the Scadanavian tour of 68 were filling contractual obligations booked for the Yardbirds. They were played/promoted under the name The Yardbirds or the New Yardbirds.

Grant did'nt plan to wait until the US dates..in fact the Scadanavian tour of 68 were filling contractual obligations booked for the Yardbirds. They were played/promoted under the name The Yardbirds or the New Yardbirds.

If anyone wants to see that Scandanavian tour and the remaining 1968 dates they are in my Zeppelin Mysteries thread.

If anyone wants to see that Scandanavian tour and the remaining 1968 dates they are in my Zeppelin Mysteries thread.
and let me add that if people don't think there were people recording shows back then in Sweden/Denmark/etc... I take it you don't collect Hendrix. :whistling:

I'd be willing to bet some recordings do/did exist. If they will ever be seen is another matter.

and let me add that if people don't think there were people recording shows back then in Sweden/Denmark/etc... I take it you don't collect Hendrix. :whistling:

I'd be willing to bet some recordings do/did exist. If they will ever be seen is another matter.

Hell, all you have to do is look and see the volume of Zep material available from sixth months after those shows in March '69 from those locations.

I'd guess it was more the other way round, Grant using the old Yardbirds contract to get some dates. I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original plan was for Zep to debut in the US in mid november 68, coinsiding with the album release might be one reason for that being put back but I'd guess reaching a level were they could blow everyone else off the stage might be another. If you listen to how the band evolve between the first US tour and the second I don't think its a strench to believe they must have changed a fair bit in late 68 aswell.

As for the early dates Grant is sposed to have recorded at least one in order to have something to play to promoters so those tapes may still be out there or in the vaults.

I've asked this before but how about Vancouver 71. This show must have been recorded by someone. Maybe nothing official but surely something unofficial. 70 73 75 are all out there but no 71.Here's hopin'

I've asked this before but how about Vancouver 71. This show must have been recorded by someone. Maybe nothing official but surely something unofficial. 70 73 75 are all out there but no 71.Here's hopin'

According to Dave Lewis in The Concert File, there is no known recording available of Vancouver '71.

According to Dave Lewis in The Concert File, there is no known recording available of Vancouver '71.

OKAYYY got the message Let's see.... How about a complete Fort Worth 71 and Houston 71. I've seen the footage of Houston but have not heard a recording. Was it ever released ?

I have been reading through this thread and noticed several references to the band's early 1968 performances.

Please corect me if I'm wrong...and I know someone will, but the band didn'nt even form until Sept. of that year. right?

I have been reading through this thread and noticed several references to the band's early 1968 performances.

Please corect me if I'm wrong...and I know someone will, but the band didn'nt even form until Sept. of that year. right?

I think what was meant by "early '68" is the earliest Zeppelin shows played as opposed to shows early in the year. The first shows were not until September in Scandanevia.

OKAYYY got the message Let's see.... How about a complete Fort Worth 71 and Houston 71. I've seen the footage of Houston but have not heard a recording. Was it ever released ?

Fort Worth is available on the bootleg "Hot August Night" by TDOLZ. So far, all that's surfaced from Houston is the video you've seen. :beer:

Here's what's available from that FW show:

CD 1

1 - Dazed And Confused

2 - Stairway To Heaven

3 - Celebration Day

4 - That's The Way

5 - What Is And What Should Never Be

6 - Moby Dick

CD 2

1 - Whole Lotta Love

2 - Communication Breakdown

From Underground Uprising:

A recent find, a previously uncirculated audience recording of Fort Worth, Texas on August 31 1971. This 2 CD set has the middle section of the show, starting at the Dazed And Confused violin bow solo, and ending a few seconds into Communication Breakdown. The end of Moby Dick is cut and there is a possible drop out in the Whole Lotta Love medley. The sound is superb, bright, mostly well balanced and only lacking in bass occasionally. The guitar/keyboard detail in Stairway is fully exposed; shame the guitar solo is a little cluttered with too many undeveloped ideas fighting for space. Celebration Day is fast with a manic solo and Page also lets rip in the Whole Lotta love medley section. Good Page/Jones interplay in That's The Way and What Is And What Should Never Be is a brilliant version. Definitely one to seek out. (Tony Gassett Oct 97)

And a link to the taper's story from Buckeye's page:

http://www.buckeye-web.com/prox/ftwrth71.html

Fort Worth is available on the bootleg "Hot August Night" by TDOLZ. So far, all that's surfaced from Houston is the video you've seen. :beer:

Here's what's available from that FW show:

CD 1

1 - Dazed And Confused

2 - Stairway To Heaven

3 - Celebration Day

4 - That's The Way

5 - What Is And What Should Never Be

6 - Moby Dick

CD 2

1 - Whole Lotta Love

2 - Communication Breakdown

From Underground Uprising:

A recent find, a previously uncirculated audience recording of Fort Worth, Texas on August 31 1971. This 2 CD set has the middle section of the show, starting at the Dazed And Confused violin bow solo, and ending a few seconds into Communication Breakdown. The end of Moby Dick is cut and there is a possible drop out in the Whole Lotta Love medley. The sound is superb, bright, mostly well balanced and only lacking in bass occasionally. The guitar/keyboard detail in Stairway is fully exposed; shame the guitar solo is a little cluttered with too many undeveloped ideas fighting for space. Celebration Day is fast with a manic solo and Page also lets rip in the Whole Lotta love medley section. Good Page/Jones interplay in That's The Way and What Is And What Should Never Be is a brilliant version. Definitely one to seek out. (Tony Gassett Oct 97)

And a link to the taper's story from Buckeye's page:

http://www.buckeye-web.com/prox/ftwrth71.html

Thanks Solar. I have a thing about the 71 tour. They sounded so heavy at that time and Page was really playing well !! I've heard most of the stuff available but admit it has been a while since I searched for anything. Just thought there might be something new and worth a listen. If something show's up please post ally

Archived