Major league bands you just don't 'get'

EricZepp

Early Aerosmith were great. Toys is my favourite, Rocks 2nd, not a bad track on either album, and Ruts was good too. I also liked Done With Mirrors - no ballads. Then it all went a bit lame. I didn't pick up on them until around 1977 because most of those bands rarely toured the UK in the 70s, and there was a lot of snobbery in the UK music rags about your mid-70s bands like 'Smith, Kiss, Journey, Styx, Boston etc etc. I remember Hard Luck Woman by Kiss getting reviewed - 'Hard Core Dog Shit', I think they said (which was actually true in the case of that particular song), but they went on to ridicule Aerosmith too. Which of course piqued my interest.

I don't hate any of these bands, I just couldn't get into their music as much as other people do:

Pink Floyd

The Grateful Dead

Nirvana

The Clash

The Sex Pistols (I do kind of hate these guys)

Metallica

The Who

These are probably the most popular bands that I personally think are overrated (I'm probably forgeting some others). I could add The Rolling Stones or U2 to the overrated list, but I do appreciate their music more than the ones listed. I'll once again state that this is just my opinion, so DON'T FREAK OUT!!! :blink:

Go ahead and make your own list. And perhaps others will do the same?

Jeez, what's the point? We all know who we're talking about here.

What's the point of compiling & arguing over a list of 200+ bands & artists? Why not just say, 'No, they WEREN'T 'Major League', if someone comes on and disses someone like Mahogany Rush?

Ok, here is my list just off the top of my head: (Rock only)

The Supergroups (Monsters):

Led Zeppelin

The Rolling Stones

The Beatles

The Who

Pink Floyd

Great:

Eagles

Hendrix

Clapton

Beach Boys

Deep Purple

Aerosmith

Neil Young

Creedence Clearwather Revival

Ozzie (and Black Sabbath)

Jethro Tull

Lynrd Skynrd

Allman Bros

Rush

U2

Van Halen

Very Good

Journey

Styx

The Guess Who

America

Alice Cooper

Foreigner

Chuck Berry

Emerson lake and Palmer

Molly Hatchet

Santana

Obviously I cant bring them all to mind

Obviously I cant bring them all to mind

Obviously not. And you appear to have stopped at 1980.

Plus I doubt you'll find anyone outside of Yippy-Yi-Yayville who agrees that Molly Hatchet was 'Major League'.

What about Black Sabbath? Springsteen? REM? Guns n Roses? AC/DC? Genesis? Yes? ZZ Top? Ratt?

^^John Bonham and John Lennon died in 1980. They are not music. They were important to their bands, but they were not music. To say that suddenly music stopped at that point is a total insult to every artist that continued after that or came into their own after that. Seriously, very insulting.

To Chowder: It's a recurring theme. 2/3 or more of those bands haven't had a hit in 30 years. I would consider the following contemporary groups/artists to be worthy of inclusion in this thread:

Coldplay

Radiohead

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Bruce Springsteen (although he's more of a bridge or continuing artist)

Beck

Love them but I'm not as into them as I once was. I still need to fill out my collection with some of their stuff though. Also, with Yes it depends on what era you're referring to. They've been through several different permutations through the years both personnel and music-wise. Apparently the current version of the band doesn't even include (vocalist) Jon Anderson. Some of their music is the very definition of prog-rock while some of the more latter day stuff (such as 90125) is more pop oriented.

Well, I was referring to their music in the 70s. And my dad declares that "Fragile" is the greatest album he has ever owned in his life! Oh dear God! What's wrong with me? Am I tone deaf or something? Here I am criticising the pioneers of progressive rock! LOL! :lol: Anyway, is "Fragile" a good place to start if you are trying to get into Yes? The only tracks which I like are "Roundabout" and "South Side of The Sky".

^^John Bonham and John Lennon died in 1980. They are not music. They were important to their bands, but they were not music. To say that suddenly music stopped at that point is a total insult to every artist that continued after that or came into their own after that. Seriously, very insulting.

To Chowder: It's a recurring theme. 2/3 or more of those bands haven't had a hit in 30 years. I would consider the following contemporary groups/artists to be worthy of inclusion in this thread:

Coldplay

Radiohead

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Beck

Ok, but going up to 80 would you agree with much of the way I ranked the list? At least the supergroups?

Well, I was referring to their music in the 70s. And my dad declares that "Fragile" is the greatest album he has ever owned in his life! Oh dear God! What's wrong with me? Am I tone deaf or something? Here I am criticising the pioneers of progressive rock! LOL! :lol: Anyway, is "Fragile" a good place to start if you are trying to get into Yes? The only tracks which I like are "Roundabout" and "South Side of The Sky".

I wouldn't say you're tone deaf -- not everything is for everyone. I wouldn't call Yes the pioneers of progressive rock, either -- I'd say Genesis and Pink Floyd can lay claim to that, although both groups got progressively less progressive as the decade went on. Yes and ELP filled that slot by mid-decade I think, but early on? I wouldn't say that. I'd throw King Crimson in there was well.

Great, the two soul mates are pretending they are enemies. (Jethro Tull reporting from the sidelines.)

I would check your reporting if I were you. You seem to be getting fed some misinformation from the control room. I think it's time to fire your editor.

I'm being dead serious. I don't take kindly to people fucking with me, whether online or in real life.

I dont know who you are talking about? I only asked you about my rankings on the super groups. Obviously you wont answer. But Jethro seems to have the wrong idea of who people here are. He already called someone else Rick that is not Rick. I am Rick Jethrro.

ColdplayRadiohead

Nirvana

Pearl Jam

Beck

Coldplay; thanks; I knew there was another one I couldn't come up with. I can't quite figure out how to classify them in my mind, they don't seem bluesy or particularly edgy/badass to me, but they keep appearing on my blues/alt/hard rock stations on Pandora :blink:

Coldplay is music for bed-wetters, IMO. The fact that they have made it so big is a savage indictment of the quality of modern music, IMO. Also, Chris Martin has one of those faces you just want to punch. IMO.

I don't wet the bed and I enjoy Coldplay. I've seen them live a few times. I wouldn't say they're on the same level as Led Zeppelin or the Stones, but they aren't Miley Cyrus either. I think A Rush of Blood To The Head is one of the best albums of the 00s.

I don't wet the bed and I enjoy Coldplay. I've seen them live a few times. I wouldn't say they're on the same level as Led Zeppelin or the Stones, but they aren't Miley Cyrus either. I think A Rush of Blood To The Head is one of the best albums of the 00s.

Fair enough, IYO.

But I see you're not denying you'd like to lamp Chris.

Archived