Send these albums to aliens

silvermedalist

Lets say that we have found life out there and we know its intelligent life. You are going to send them 5 to 10 albums to give them some idea of what we are like? What ones would you chose?. Ill pick a few to start

1. Dark Side of the Moon (Pink Floyd)

2. Led Zeppelin IV (Led Zeppelin)

3. Journey to the Center of the Earth (Rick Wakeman)

4. Beethoven (any collection)

5. Frank Sinatra (collection of hits)

6. Edgar Winter (Frankenstein)

7. The Beatles (greatest hits, both volumes)

8. Chuck Mangione (Chase the clouds away) or something Jazz that is really good

9. Allman Bros. (live at the Filmore)

Ok. Lets see if anyone is willing to contribute. Just thought this might be fun.

What an interesting topic! :D Here are my choices :

1. Physical Graffiti - Led Zeppelin

2. Led Zeppelin - IV - Led Zeppelin

3. The Dark Side of The Moon - Pink Floyd

4. A Night At The Opera - Queen

5. Queen - II - Queen

6. Are You Experienced? - The Jimi Hendrix Experience

7. Abbey Road - The Beatles

I could only pick these 7 for a start...But I think that pretty much wraps it up! ;)

This piece of music has actually already been sent out in space. I couldn't have made a better choice myself, if I may say so:

Blind Willie Johnson's recordings and legacy have crossed over into other media and cultural contexts. Dark Was The Night, Cold Was the Ground was included on the Voyager Golden Record, sent into space with the Voyager spacecraft in 1977; this piece was used in the widely seen science show Cosmos: A Personal Voyage by Carl Sagan in 1980.

1. Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

2. The Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd (why do people always forget the "the"?)

3. In The Wee Small Hours - Frank Sinatra (the first concept album)

4. A collection of works by Tchaikovsky

5. Anything by Billie Holliday

That's all that's necessary.

I'd send them traditional music from all over the planet. Upon hearing it, there may be just enough interested young aliens around to form their own alien Led Zeppelin ! Now there's a thought :P:D

I would add Santana - Abraxas

Yes, great album. Great choice. Seventies folks. Gee. All the good stuff seems to come from the seventies now doesntn it. :o

Samba pa ti, Black Magic Woman, Oye como va , I think that album is on the top twenty of all time and is always underated. Just like Machine Head.

Yes, great album. Great choice. Seventies folks. Gee. All the good stuff seems to come from the seventies now doesntn it. :o

Not according to this thread. Seems like most stuff was chosen from the years before the 70's. ;)

You Satriani fans.... ;)

Well, being a guitarist myself, I tend to get tired of the same old-same old, and Satriani's work always appeals to me. And although he is one of my favorite guitarists, the rest of my list is really not filled with so-called soulless shredders :) .

I was also skeptic about him at first, until my guitar teacher made me get into his stuff. :D

Well, being a guitarist myself, I tend to get tired of the same old-same old, and Satriani's work always appeals to me. And although he is one of my favorite guitarists, the rest of my list is really not filled with so-called soulless shredders :) .

I was also skeptic about him at first, until my guitar teacher made me get into his stuff. :D

I'm just kidding with you.. I am a guitarist too, and I did really like him back in the 90's, but I somehow got tired of it. I am first and foremost a roots music and blues fan when it comes to guitar playing. I prefer when it's played a little sloppy, but with a feeling. LOL B)

For fine guitar work, I would send them some of the Peter Green's work in early Fleetwood Mac (Jumping At Shadows or Man Of The World). I'm sure that any hostile intention the aliens might have would dispel instantly. :D

I prefer when it's played a little sloppy, but with a feeling. LOL B)

The feeling thing is very subjective. Every person listens to the music that resonates with himself and that makes him feel something.

For fine guitar work, I would send them some of the Peter Green's work in early Fleetwood Mac (Jumping At Shadows or Man Of The World). I'm sure that any hostile intention the aliens might have would dispel instantly. :D

Peter Greens guitar playing is to die for. Good choice! :)

The feeling thing is very subjective. Every person listens to the music that resonates with himself and that makes him feel something.

You are absolutely correct. I was describing it out from my perspective.

1. Whatever the name of Justin Beiber's "album" is, but just to give them an idea of what's popular at the moment and why so many people hate his "music", not necessarily because his "music" is good.

2. Ride The Lightning or Master of Puppets (Metallica) or Reign in Blood (Slayer) to give them an idea of Heavy Metal

3. Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's the Sex Pistols (Sex Pistols) to give them an idea of Punk

4. Led Zeppelin IV (Led Zeppelin) because Zeppelin, at least in my opinion, is the greatest band to have ever graced the face of this planet.

5. Thriller (Michael Jackson) the most popular album of all time on this planet, 'nuff said.

more probably later... :D

Excellent topic silvermedalist :thumbsup:

Archived