Frightening Experiences

JethroTull

Here is mine. The year was around 1980. I decided to see a band at a rock club in Northern NJ. I left my apartment around 10:00 pm and hopped on Route 80 West. I was driving in the right hand lane. Somewhere around Paterson, NJ (as in the Dylan song about Hurricane Carter) a beat up car pulled up next to me with four dirtbags in it. The one in the front passenger seat, rolled down his window, flashed a badge at me and yelled to pull over. NO WAY WAS I PULLING OVER. I sped up and they kept pace with me. They yelled a couple more times to pull over. At a certain point, they were ahead of me by about 10-20 feet, and still in the middle lane. All of a sudden an exit came up and I quickly exited, while they were still slightly ahead of me. The last thing I remember seeing was their brakes lights, like they wanted to back up and follow me off the exit. There must have been on-coming traffic and they just continued on their way. Whew!!!

The whole episode lasted about 2 minutes. Although, once I made it to the rock club, I kept looking over my shoulder.

After my Basic Training and Electronics school in the Army, I went home. I had been gone for a year. All of my closest friends had started shooting up cocaine. My brother, who was at that point homeless was the worst of them all.

I pretty much freaked out. This was 1980. The Army was rife with heavy drug users - as it probably still is*. Well, I had been pretty messed up on drugs for a few years myself, so I decided that I was going to make a clean break when I got to Germany. I tried to stay away from the drugs and be a good soldier. One day the guys took me downtown to show me around (and get me drunk). I wasn't very good at knowing when to stop in those days. They got me really ripped, and then one of them pulled out a 12-inch buck knife and held it to my throat hard enough to cut the skin. They said "Newbie, we think you're CID (Criminal Investigation Division) and we're gonna kill you if we find out that you are."

That wasn't what a young man with existing PTSD needed to experience. Yeah, I've been through some scary shit in my life. That's just one example.

* I asked a guy who had recently been in theater in Iraq and Afghanistan about the use of heroine. He confirmed that it was common. I asked how that could happen with all the piss tests they have now. He told me they don't piss test in theater.

Watching a lorry coming at me when the driver was unaware I was there..... then bang.... then he kept going and bang again, I hit the kerb with my head, I remember someone telling me to keep my crash helmet on as I may have broken my neck, and how lucky I was... Lucky!!!!!!! Bastard got away scott free too

:blink::slapface:

motorbikecrash_lorry.jpg

The most frieghtning experiance mentally was when I saw this ghost in my room, in my mirror and she was staring at me...freaky...(yeh I belive in ghosts), after that I wouldnt go into my room for like over a day, I slept in the living room for a while, I was that freaked out, but kinda used to it now.

Too many to count, I was very reckless until recently. Unfortunately some of my most frightening moments are those where I have lost control, it's myself I fear. Considering this is a public forum and the inet lacks security this story ends here.

Did you kill somebody? :unsure:

Watching a lorry coming at me when the driver was unaware I was there..... then bang.... then he kept going and bang again, I hit the kerb with my head, I remember someone telling me to keep my crash helmet on as I may have broken my neck, and how lucky I was... Lucky!!!!!!! Bastard got away scott free too

:blink::slapface:

motorbikecrash_lorry.jpg

Christ, man, that's one hell of a knock, and I've had a few. You were lucky to get out of that one. What bike was it?

My most frightening experience was in court, going up against my ex-wife and her barristers in a series of contact proceedings over my two young kids. This was after watching £30,000 go slowly down the drain, spent on my own solicitors & barristers, who basically took what I told them, ripped the guts out of what I had to say, and presented it all in such an anodyne way as to render it ineffectual. So I finally got wise and decided to represent myself. I wasn't scared about what I had to say - I knew I was in the right - but I was terrified that they would provoke me into losing my cool in front of the judge and blowing it all.

I really shouldn't have worried - it was like shooting fish in a barrel.

If any of you have the misfortune to find yourself in this position in the future, remember these words: DO IT YOURSELF.

motorbikecrash_lorry.jpg

I was t-boned too on my Harley by an old bastard who should have never been driving in the first place.

One time 3 friends were driving by my house and they had a case of firecrackers and cherry bombs on the front seat. Danny was in the back lighting firecrackers and throwing them out the window, but one he threw bounced back and landed on the front seat and it set off the whole package which blew the windows out of the car and broke store windows. It even shook our house. They all survived but were hurt pretty bad. It made the news too.

My personal most frightening experience was the night LSD sent me to hell. :o

After my Basic Training and Electronics school in the Army, I went home. I had been gone for a year. All of my closest friends had started shooting up cocaine. My brother, who was at that point homeless was the worst of them all.

I pretty much freaked out. This was 1980. The Army was rife with heavy drug users - as it probably still is*. Well, I had been pretty messed up on drugs for a few years myself, so I decided that I was going to make a clean break when I got to Germany. I tried to stay away from the drugs and be a good soldier. One day the guys took me downtown to show me around (and get me drunk). I wasn't very good at knowing when to stop in those days. They got me really ripped, and then one of them pulled out a 12-inch buck knife and held it to my throat hard enough to cut the skin. They said "Newbie, we think you're CID (Criminal Investigation Division) and we're gonna kill you if we find out that you are."

That wasn't what a young man with existing PTSD needed to experience. Yeah, I've been through some scary shit in my life. That's just one example.

* I asked a guy who had recently been in theater in Iraq and Afghanistan about the use of heroine. He confirmed that it was common. I asked how that could happen with all the piss tests they have now. He told me they don't piss test in theater.

That answers all those questions that up until now have gone unanswered. ;)

I saw an episode of House where the patient had locked-in syndrome, which is basically where your entire body is paralyzed, but you can still think and see. The next morning I experienced sleep paralysis for the first time. I had no idea what sleep paralysis was, but I had just seen that episode, so I thought I had locked-in syndrome It felt like it lasted for hours, but it was probably just a few minutes. It was horrifying.

In 1995 I took a pop-up trailer out to Yellowstone. We had a great trip, and stopped at Badlands Nat'l Prk on the way home for a couple days. It was windy all day....I mean 40-50 mph. About 5:00pm, we were eating dinner when I got this real weird animal like feeling that something wasn't right. I left the camper and took a plate of spaghetti to my truck to listen to the radio. As I sat in the truck eating, suddenly there was this big bang....and a huge dent was on my hood. I sat there perplexed for a couple seconds, and finally stepped out of the truck. At my feet was an ice chunk about 2" by 7" on the ground. I looked at the ice chunk....looked at the dent in my hood.....and searched the sky for a plane. That's all I could think of.....that it fell off of the wing of a plane. :blink: Turns out we were about to be hit by a tornado, and I looked to my left, and all I could see was a huge wall of white headed our way.....Hail bigger than softballs ! You've seen that dude driving down the highway on The Weather Channel with the hail breaking the windshield ?.....people, I'm talking twice as bad as that. I started my truck and drove it right into the campground bathroom !....as far as I could. During the next 10 minutes, the back of my pick-up filled with ice. To make a very long story short.......

- I had over $2,400 dollars damage to my truck

- Because I pulled into the bathroom, I was the only vehicle in the campground not to lose their windshield. My truck looked like someone took a ball-peen hammer to it.

- We left the camper there. It had rolled over at least a couple times against a tree. There were 2" divots on the roof. In short, it was untrailable. It took two months for an adjuster from AAA to come out and deem it totalled. We learned the next year that the local Ogawa Indians took it and made a flat-bed trailer out of it. That was the best news of the whole ordeal.

- I lost or trashed over 200 cds that I had stored in the camper for the trip. To this day, I have cds with liner notes welded together from the storm.

- I have never been the same in a storm since. If the wind starts blowing, and the hail starts falling, you can be gauranteed that the hair is standing on the back of my neck.

- The trailer was my brother's. He had tried to sell it for over a year at $2,500 bucks, with no takers. When I pulled out of his driveway, he told me if I like it I could have it for $1500. I slept so good in that thing compared to a tent, I considered it a done deal during the trip. AAA gave him $2,600. To this day my brother asks me if I'd like to borrow the Sea Ray....the motor home....the Florida condo !

- They don't call them "The Badlands" for nothing ! :P

061306-BadlandsSD1.jpg

In 1995 I took a pop-up trailer out to Yellowstone. We had a great trip, and stopped at Badlands Nat'l Prk on the way home for a couple days. It was windy all day....I mean 40-50 mph. About 5:00pm, we were eating dinner when I got this real weird animal like feeling that something wasn't right. I left the camper and took a plate of spaghetti to my truck to listen to the radio. As I sat in the truck eating, suddenly there was this big bang....and a huge dent was on my hood. I sat there perplexed for a couple seconds, and finally stepped out of the truck. At my feet was an ice chunk about 2" by 7" on the ground. I looked at the ice chunk....looked at the dent in my hood.....and searched the sky for a plane. That's all I could think of.....that it fell off of the wing of a plane. :blink: Turns out we were about to be hit by a tornado, and I looked to my left, and all I could see was a huge wall of white headed our way.....Hail bigger than softballs ! You've seen that dude driving down the highway on The Weather Channel with the hail breaking the windshield ?.....people, I'm talking twice as bad as that. I started my truck and drove it right into the campground bathroom !....as far as I could. During the next 10 minutes, the back of my pick-up filled with ice. To make a very long story short.......

- I had over $2,400 dollars damage to my truck

- Because I pulled into the bathroom, I was the only vehicle in the campground not to lose their windshield. My truck looked like someone took a ball-peen hammer to it.

- We left the camper there. It had rolled over at least a couple times against a tree. There were 2" divots on the roof. In short, it was untrailable. It took two months for an adjuster from AAA to come out and deem it totalled. We learned the next year that the local Ogawa Indians took it and made a flat-bed trailer out of it. That was the best news of the whole ordeal.

- I lost or trashed over 200 cds that I had stored in the camper for the trip. To this day, I have cds with liner notes welded together from the storm.

- I have never been the same in a storm since. If the wind starts blowing, and the hail starts falling, you can be gauranteed that the hair is standing on the back of my neck.

- The trailer was my brother's. He had tried to sell it for over a year at $2,500 bucks, with no takers. When I pulled out of his driveway, he told me if I like it I could have it for $1500. I slept so good in that thing compared to a tent, I considered it a done deal during the trip. AAA gave him $2,600. To this day my brother asks me if I'd like to borrow the Sea Ray....the motor home....the Florida condo !

- They don't call them "The Badlands" for nothing ! :P

061306-BadlandsSD1.jpg

I did basic in the NM badlands. We had a twister pass right over our heads. I was the only one who knew it at the time. Later the drill told us what had happened. He just looked at me with this shell-shocked look, cause I had told him about what was happening. Let me tell you, in the desert there ain't no where to go but under the sand. At that time in my life, I didn't know the meaning of fear. I just laughed it off.

Well, one day, I was on my way home from Uni. My apartment is located close to the Civic Theatre. There is a huge pedestrian crossing. So there I was just minding my own business, crossing the street and right behind me was this young Asian couple. So, just as we were about to reach the pavement, in spite of the fact that the WALK sign was flashing, a frickin' bus almost ran over us! Gosh! To think the bloke who was driving the bus was in such a hurry, thereby putting the lives of innocent people at risk! :angry: I and the young Asian bloke gave the bugger a piece of our minds when we swore at him! I swear that numb skull looked a bit drunk! :huh:

Another automobile related frightening experience.....

This occurred on Thanksgiving Eve 2009, just last year. I have a short commute to/from work. Mostly highway(3 lane) and I drive in the slow lane, because for the three miles I'm on the highway, it doesn't make sense to drive in the faster lanes. It was RAINING pretty hard. On top of that it was the typical holiday commute with everybody driving fast, rushing to get to grandma's. WELL, this frightening experience lasted between 15 and 20 seconds. All of a sudden two cars collided in the middle lane, right next to me. Car #1 was doing a 360 directly to my left. Car #2 was catapulted in FRONT on me in the slow lane. DIRECTLY in front of me Car #2 went into a 360. Smoke, glass, burning rubber and RAIN. I instinctively slowed down and watched Car #2 finish off on the shoulder of the highway. As soon as the coast was clear I sped up and GOT OUT OF THERE. After I exited the highway, I pulled into a parking lot, called my wife and thanked God I did not get hit or killed.

Archived