What is and What should never be

McSeven

What do you guys think about this song. I actually think this song is when Zep started to lock into the Zeppelin riff. To me this song is so structured to be a Zeppelin song. Its not a song that The Who/Beatles/Hendrix could of written.

This song is the Zeppelin style of Shade and Light.

Mc7

It's a good song but not something that would have been out of the reach for other good bands of that era to accomplish. Much has been written about the "light and shade" of LZ's music and though they are often credited as pioneers of it with regard to early hard rock they certainly weren't the first to use texture and volume dynamics within their songs , though without a doubt they made good use of it. Songs like Janis Joplin\Big Bro's Ball And Chain was an earlier example of it and of course the Yardbirds did their rave up thing. Not sure what you mean by "Led Zeppelin riff", more on that would be good.

I think it's a very good Zeppelin song. Not one of my all time favorites, but still great. I think the riff in last minute and a half or so is one of Page's best. Yet I don't know that it's a groundbreaking song in Zep's catalogue; it's unique, but I think Whole Lotta Love was more of a signature Zeppelin song. It had a great riff, soaring vocal, a crazy middle section, a great solo, etc. The song sounded like nothing else at the time.

No doubt that of all the songs on II WLL was the most progressive. That is such an amazing album, sounds impersonal and distant yet excessive at the same time but full of organic vibe, for lack of a better word. As amazing as each song is the order, total content and relation to what their peers were doing is still surprising. Not because it's different but because the company is good, F-Mac. Humble Pie, Faces and Savoy Brown etc. '69 was a monster year for good music.

I love this song. I love the placement of it on II. I think it fits the album and JPJ's bass lines give the song it's groove. Can't go wrong with the chorus and especially Jimmy's riff that takes the song to it's end either. A fantastic song with a very tight and entertaining sound. It's not an all-time classic for me personally, but I always enjoy the song when I listen to it.

Kashmir.

Because nobody else could've touched it and besides who would?

Jimmy's riff and John Paul's cascading keyboard patterns, Bonzo's groove on the most simple of beats, not to mention the vocal range and imagery from Plant.

All at the top of their game in 1975.

Kashmir.

Because nobody else could've touched it and besides who would?

Jimmy's riff and John Paul's cascading keyboard patterns, Bonzo's groove on the most simple of beats, not to mention the vocal range and imagery from Plant.

All at the top of their game in 1975.

Add In The Light to that list.

In regards to What Is and What Should Never Be, my favourite version is from HTWWW. It's just so god damn heavy when Page starts up the riff towards the end.

Add In The Light to that list.

In regards to What Is and What Should Never Be, my favourite version is from HTWWW. It's just so god damn heavy when Page starts up the riff towards the end.

Great song live ! Thought it should have been included in the 73 set list but ...

Archived