The Moody Blues

Reggie29

• 11 months later...

I LOVE the Moody Blues! Seen them in concert several times! They tour constantly and put on a spectacular show. These dudes can rock! :guitar_mood:

There used to be several Moody Blues fans on this board a few years ago...don't know where they all went. ;)

Still my favorite. I have all of the original seven albums remastered, and I listen to them all the time. I consider the Moodies to be the most under-appreciated band of the 60's & 70's. It's all outstanding stuff. Saw them twice....once in the late 70's, and also with an orchestra in 89' at Detroit's Masonic Auditorium.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7pzR0ZTGC0

• 3 years later...
  • 9 months later...
On October 10, 2011 at 3:33 AM, Reggie29 said:

What's not to like?

Agree, what's not to like...err love?  This thread has been fairly dry for several years, not much love for The Moody Blues?  I saw them last night in Biloxi, their last night of the Fly Me High tour, and while it was a smaller venue, I'm very proud that there was a packed house, several standing ovations and much love shown for this great band, who have been rockin' out since 1964!!! There are three of the original band members, Justin Hayward, John Lodge and drummer Graeme Edge, who just celebrated his 75th birthday! There are four other musicians who share the stage and get lots of recognition throughout the concert but who are not considered (as far as I can tell) The Moody Blues.  With flashback pictures and lots of psychedelic lights/images shown behind the band, it was non-stop delight the entire show. I wondered about Graeme playing the drums as there was another drummer on the stage. Graeme was so happy, smiling ear to ear the whole night, and I didn't mind if he just sat there smiling, but he held his own and played hard all night.  I never once thought that they looked or sounded tired and should hang it up, rather, I thought they did a fantastic job and still had it in them.  If you watch the clip above of I'm Just a Singer, be assured they did not sound exactly like that last night, but I didn't mind.  When they played that song, it just made me realize what a great song it is and how amazing it would be to have seen them play that live in their prime.  Nights in White Satin; however, was just as great last night as I'm sure it's ever been, and there wasn't a note missed on that one.  Gave me goosebumps to hear it live.  One of my favorite parts about the concert was that I was so close to the band, you could see all of the expressions so clearly and even make eye contact with them. I also loved looking at the audience around me.  There were the folks who you knew had been fans since day one, and then there were several much younger guys (their grandchildren perhaps?) who were just as into the band or even more so than those around them.  One guy standing near me was no older than sixteen, and he was so thrilled to be there. He beamed the entire night and was moved to tears several times. I loved seeing such a young person really appreciate this music! I am very honored to have seen The Moody Blues live and became a much bigger fan as a result. 

image.thumb.jpeg.9500112059c3cab1ccbc2bf

image.thumb.jpeg.07a3bab4e2278389df42a98

image.thumb.jpeg.48936fa10f07ca208408461

image.thumb.jpeg.d7be32fc610b2f4a97fe0d6

6 hours ago, Walter said:

Glad you had such a good time, Dd!  I have friends who swear by the Moody Blues as the most underrated band of all-time.

:peace: 

Thanks, Walter!  I am still on a Moody Blues high today, cannot get their songs out of my head.  Your friends have great taste!! ;) 

:friends: 

Lovely photos Dd and I am happy you got great seats and had a good time. I love people who still make the effort to get out and see a concert. Live shows are still my favourite way of experiencing rock and roll and it will never die as long as people go to shows.

I won't pretend the Moody Blues are my favourite band but I definitely dug their 1965-71 output and will always have a soft spot for "Days of Future Past". They are important for introducing the mellotron in rock and being one of the first prog rock bands.

8 hours ago, Houses of the Holy said:

Big Moody fan here as well.

Cool! :peace: 

6 hours ago, Strider said:

Lovely photos Dd and I am happy you got great seats and had a good time. I love people who still make the effort to get out and see a concert. Live shows are still my favourite way of experiencing rock and roll and it will never die as long as people go to shows.

Thanks, Strider.  I agree that there is nothing like seeing a band playing live.  I am a big fan of performing arts in general, and while I took a hiatus from concerts for a bit (as in my entire adult life), I am happy to have them back in rotation now! :) My preference is to be on the floor, in the first few rows.  I want to see the band members' faces, and I love the ambience and camaraderie of the crowd.

They closed with this groovy song.  Ahhhh!!!  :wub:

• 1 year later...

Just saw them in Vegas.  They were much better than I thought they would be, now at age 72 for Hayward and Lodge.  Hayward especially.  He sang wonderfully, hitting all the notes on his greatest songs.  I never thought of him as a guitar player much, but seeing him live in a stripped down format his riffs and leads came to the fore.  He NAILED them all while singing his heart out.

Many of the songs were better than the overproduced originals.  Nights in White Satin came through as just a fantastic acoustic guitar song with a flute solo.  The original is so busy and overproduced.  Ride My See Saw ROCKED, much more than the original.  Even the 80s hits sounded great without all the horrid 80s production that practically ruined them as songs back then:  Wildest Dreams, I Know You're Out there Somewhere, and The Voice - I never thought about what great songs they are because the original production was so cheesy 80s pop. 

But it was the rockers that rocked.  I'm Just a Singer was so powerful, Story in Your Eyes was focused on a strong electric guitar - with an extended guitar jam at the end, and Question was over the top with powerful 12 string strumming and that voice.  My goodness - most songwriters and singers would give anything to ever write one chorus as good as the first part of the slow section ("It's not the way that you...") - well Hayward topped that by writing a second part to the middle section ("I'm looking for someone. . ."), even more wonderful than the first.  And he sang it so beautifully all these years later.  The crowd was delirious.  Question got a bigger ovation than even Nights.

When I go back and listen again to their albums I realize that Hayward was one of the great singers of his day.   

Sadly, I never saw the Moodys in their prime.  They stopped touring in 1974 before my first concert, and their 1978 album that came out when I was in college was so bad that I lost interest.   

Edited by John M

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...