FRIENDSHIP

BIGDAN

Hi All,

Something I think we all have an opinion on so lets hear it if you would be so kind. :console:

Regards, Danny

PS, "A friend in need is a friend indeed, or just another fcuking nuisance" someone once told me. :o

There are different levels of friendship. You know, the friends you have at work but rarely interact outside of work, the friendly neighbor, people I go places with in the car club I am in, but true friendship is a rare and special thing. Someone you enjoy spending time with, have fun going places and doing things, there for you in good times and bad, and accepts you for who you are. My husband is that rare and special friend.

PS...those overly needy, high maintanance friends really exaust me and don't last long.

Well, to me, friendship is for keeps!

I pretty much follow the policy of "less is more" when it comes to friendship. I would rather have just 3 or 4 friends with whom I can talk, share secrets with and trust and stay in touch and have a really successful "long-distance" relationship than have 10 friends who come to me only in times of need and who tend to judge me and pretty much stab me in the back! I personally have experienced the saying "Only during a crisis, do you know who your "real" friends are!". I do try to be as nice as I can possibly be to people in general (even to strangers when they need any sort of help), but to form something, pretty deep and to make me "open up", it takes a bit of work, I'm afraid! :lol:

I am in real life, quite shy and rather serious or rather I appear to be that way! I have met some real wonderful people in my life who have, in spite of my quiet nature, reached out to me and made me open up and who have proved that they genuinely care! I in my life, have met just 4 people, who happen to be my genuine friends. This was in University (about 2 years ago) and I bet we'll still keep in touch even after we graduate no matter what! :wub:

Also, I must add that I have met some truly wonderful people here on this very forum with whom I have really opened up to and it sure feels good! :D

It'd be a very sad existence without friends.

I have many good friends, some from when we were in Kindergarten and some that I've only met in recent years.

Here in Oz (not AUS ;) ) , we are all "mates" , but a friend is someone who you connect with on a higher level than you may never have with even your closest sibling.

"My best friend ran off with my wife!"

"Damn, I miss him!

This first best friend thing is utter bullshit, anyone who "rates" their "friends" doesn't deserve them.

It's like asking a parent which one is their favourite child? :blink:

Value them all for who they are and what they mean to you because at any time we could lose the friends we have.

I have met "faceless" friends here and elsewhere on the web and around the world but they are just as real as the friends I see on a daily basis.

I always try to be friendly and will continue to do so.

"If you see someone without a smile on their face, give them one of yours!".

Well, to me, friendship is for keeps!

I pretty much follow the policy of "less is more" when it comes to friendship. I would rather have just 3 or 4 friends with whom I can talk, share secrets with and trust and stay in touch and have a really successful "long-distance" relationship than have 10 friends who come to me only in times of need and who tend to judge me and pretty much stab me in the back! I personally have experienced the saying "Only during a crisis, do you know who your "real" friends are!". I do try to be as nice as I can possibly be to people in general (even to strangers when they need any sort of help), but to form something, pretty deep and to make me "open up", it takes a bit of work, I'm afraid! :lol:

I am in real life, quite shy and rather serious or rather I appear to be that way! I have met some real wonderful people in my life who have, in spite of my quiet nature, reached out to me and made me open up and who have proved that they genuinely care! I in my life, have met just 4 people, who happen to be my genuine friends. This was in University (about 2 years ago) and I bet we'll still keep in touch even after we graduate no matter what! :wub:

Also, I must add that I have met some truly wonderful people here on this very forum with whom I have really opened up to and it sure feels good! :D

I was going to say the exact same thing Kiwi. I've always had a couple of very close friends, rather than lots of friends. Close friends are more likely to stay loyal to you, and you know that they'll be there whenever you need them. And this may sound rather soppy but my best friend is my mum! :wub: I also consider pets to be friends, in my opinion you won't find a more loyal friend. :)

I've also met lots of lovely folk on here, some in particular that I've really bonded with. ;)

I was going to say the exact same thing Kiwi. I've always had a couple of very close friends, rather than lots of friends. Close friends are more likely to stay loyal to you, and you know that they'll be there whenever you need them. And this may sound rather soppy but my best friend is my mum! :wub: I also consider pets to be friends, in my opinion you won't find a more loyal friend. :)

I've also met lots of lovely folk on here, some in particular that I've really bonded with. ;)

And I have really bonded with some really lovely people here too! ;):friends:

Magic, the fact that you love your mom so much and consider her to be your best friend, doesn't sound soppy at all because I feel the exact same way about my mom! :wub:

Magic, Danny, here is a lovely little song by Queen which I think belongs in this thread :D

Of course FRIENDSHIP is a very important part of social life and a great value along with family, work and nation......BUT, it MUST NOT invade my privacy is any way and I believe that people should start thinking about calling some of their "pals" acquaintances rather than friends.......true friends can be counted on one only hand:):):). I would also ignore TV crap like "Friends" that would like to make us believe that friends last forever.....it's just an illusion...unfortunately:)(:)

Of course FRIENDSHIP is a very important part of social life and a great value along with family, work and nation......BUT, it MUST NOT invade my privacy is any way and I believe that people should start thinking about calling some of their "pals" acquaintances rather than friends.......true friends can be counted on one only hand:):):). I would also ignore TV crap like "Friends" that would like to make us believe that friends last forever.....it's just an illusion...unfortunately:)(:)

I kinda agree with you 'spidersandsnakes' Mates, Pals and such like names are what people in general refer to as Friends.

My Best Friend is my wife, Misses BIGDAN, closely followed by Monty my now deceased Bull Terrier of 12 years.

Now He is what I call a really good Friend.

He never ever once let me down.

He was always there for me and it was a Great comfort to know that He would have laid His life down for All My Family.

I have a shelf dedicated to Him in my living room.

He is Greatly missed by all that knew Him.

A True Warrior with a Heart of Gold, I can honestly say that I have tried to live my life in the same way as he did, but with much less success.

I cant think of ONE other Human that I hold in the same esteem, Family excluded that is. How many can say the same about any of their Friends?

Regards, Danny

PS, Kinda makes you wanna listen to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp dun it? well it does for me any way. :D

I have several friends where our friendship has been going on for over 50 years and will last forever, of that I'm sure.

Even though for whatever reason we don't see each other as often as we would like, we are always there in spirit and I know from personal experience we would be and have been there when I / they needed it most.

How could a true friend invade your privacy?:blink:

I kinda agree with you 'spidersandsnakes' Mates, Pals and such like names are what people in general refer to as Friends.

My Best Friend is my wife, Misses BIGDAN, closely followed by Monty my now deceased Bull Terrier of 12 years.

He was always there for me and it was a Great comfort to know that He would have laid His life down for All My Family.

A True Warrior with a Heart of Gold, I can honestly say that I have tried to live my life in the same way as he did, but with much less success.

I cant think of ONE other Human that I hold in the same esteem, Family excluded that is. How many can say the same about any of their Friends?

Regards, Danny

PS, Kinda makes you wanna listen to Bron-Y-Aur Stomp dun it? well it does for me any way. :D

Hi Danny

That's exactly what I was saying about pets, they give unconditional love and never let you down, so they can be classed as 'true' friends in my book. :)

Magic

Regards, Danny

Well, i think that nobody could express better what i feel, i saw your original post yesterday i wanted to write something but i was doubtful because the concept of friendship is a little bit hard to explain (at least for me). I´ve met a lot of people, people comes and goes, i´m afraid i agree with spidersandsnakes, people changes so friends (human friends) that lasts forever are an ilussion...But when it comes to pets, it´s different, and as Magic said if you never had a pet, you never experienced the level of loyalty and unconditional love you receive....it goes beyond any explanation...i totally agree with you Danny....

Friendship is also about not egging someone on getting a response back then saying oh it's just my sense of humor to justify bad behavior. Then saying kind regards after you have hassled the shit out of them definitely no kindness !

You are so right 'kiss of fire', its a pity you cant be more candid in as to WHO you are talking about so as that person can defend themselves, wouldn't you say?

And WHY do you think it is OK to Demand Respect for a Topic that you have started and in the very next Topic you post in you Disrespect the Topic started by adding a view that has nothing to do with the Topic? very two faced of you don't you think? :o

Regards, Danny

PS, I spell my "Humour" with 2 U's, and my "Behaviour" as well, and as I am no "FRIEND" of the person "YOU" are talking about your Post is totally "OFF TOPIC", so there. :offtopic:

PPS, Are you having trouble with my HUMOUR as well? I can be more candid and to the point if you like, but that is sometimes taken with Great Offence by some people on here.

Hi Danny

That's exactly what I was saying about pets, they give unconditional love and never let you down, so they can be classed as 'true' friends in my book. :)

Magic

Well, i think that nobody could express better what i feel, i saw your original post yesterday i wanted to write something but i was doubtful because the concept of friendship is a little bit hard to explain (at least for me). I´ve met a lot of people, people comes and goes, i´m afraid i agree with spidersandsnakes, people changes so friends (human friends) that lasts forever are an ilussion...But when it comes to pets, it´s different, and as Magic said if you never had a pet, you never experienced the level of loyalty and unconditional love you receive....it goes beyond any explanation...i totally agree with you Danny....

Magic, Aeon, I completely agree with you guys! It is really amazing that pets actually have the ability to show so much of love and loyalty to their owners! :wub: At times, I feel that we humans can learn such a lot from them about the very concept of friendship! :D Now, if only my parents will allow me to have a cat or atleast a kitten in the apartment! Sheesh! :blink: But I guess, since I live on the 15th floor, it's probably for the best! :unsure:

For me, friendship is important, but I don't have many right now because I have put too much effort into my education (when I was busting butt to graduate) and now building my career.

In other words, I wasn't being a good friend. ;)

Being a good friend takes work.

• You should be there for a friend when they need you. It should NEVER be one-sided.
  • You should be available to spend time with friends--even if you don't always want to do what they want to do.
  • If you are friends with someone and you begin dating a new person, you don't push them aside because you want to hang with them and only them...make time for friends too!
  • You should be able to have FUN with them!

This list if based upon a few various experiences I've had lately--one friend turned into a "help me, I always need help, but I can't help you out or spend time with you" type of friend.

The other friend has magically disappeared off the face of the earth once she started dating. She tends to do this, only to resurface once the said person she's dating goes away

I haven't always been the best friend myself, but I have been working harder to be a better friend. I'm working on it. ;)

It is true that people come and go and sometimes even the most loyal pet will turn and bite the hand that feeds them.

For those who think that lifelong friendship is a myth, what a sad state of affairs and cynical point of view you have

and with that attitude it will never eventuate.

When we lose friends people should ask themselves how / why it happened in the first place?

We are quick to jump to conclusions and say it was their entire fault but was it really?

Question your own behaviour and often but not always, we are the one who drove them away.

Words of Wisdom

Friends - LZ III

Bright light almost blindin'

Black night still there shinin'

I can't stop keep on climbin'

Looking for what I knew

Had a friend she once told me

You got love you ain't lonely

Now she's gone and left me only

Lookin' for what I knew

Ah-ahh ah-ahh ah-ah-ahh ah-ahh

Mmm I'm tellin' you now

The greatest thing you ever can do now

Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now

It's very easy just-a

Met a man on the roadside cryin'

Without a friend there's no denyin'

You're incomplete there'll be no findin'

Lookin' for what you knew

So anytime somebody needs ya

Don't let them down although it grieves ya

Someday you'll need someone like they do

Lookin' for what you knew

Ah-ahh ah-ahh ah-ah-ahh ah-ahh

Mmm mm I'm tellin' you now

It's very easy just-a oh yeah

Ah nah my my my my my my my my my my my my yeah

I'm tellin' you now

It's very easy it's very easy

It's very easy it's easy easy yeah yeah

Words of Cynicism

Pure Morning - Placebo

A friend in need’s a friend indeed a friend with weed is better

A friend with breasts and all the rest a friend who’s dressed in leather

A friend in need’s a friend indeed a friend who’ll tease is better

Our thoughts compressed which makes us blessed and makes for stormy weather

A friend in need’s a friend indeed my Japanese is better

And when she’s pressed she will undress and then she’s boxing clever

A friend in need’s a friend indeed a friend who bleeds is better

My friend confessed she passed the test and we will never sever

Days dawning skins crawling pure morning

It is true that people come and go and sometimes even the most loyal pet will turn and bite the hand that feeds them.

If you say that about pets, Reggie, with all the respect that you deserve it´s because of ignorance and if you say "well, i had a pet before and i know" that demonstrates that you don´t understand animal instinct. Do some reseach and you will be able to understand why they behave like they do, as you´re recommending with lost friends.

I want to leave clear that i do not want to argue, it´s just a point of view like yours.

I have several friends where our friendship has been going on for over 50 years and will last forever, of that I'm sure.

Even though for whatever reason we don't see each other as often as we would like, we are always there in spirit and I know from personal experience we would be and have been there when I / they needed it most.

How could a true friend invade your privacy?:blink:

YOU said the magic word....several friends and NOT many:):).....I have exactly 6 pals I can count on...and I've been counting on them and vice-versa for over 50 years:)....the quantity is limited as you can see:)

Once a girl told me a halucinating story about one of her "friendships".....practically, her "friend" wanted her all to herself and she could not befriend anyone else because her "friend" was jealous of her having other pals :)!!

To me a real friendship is about respect and caring for one another. Sometimes circumstances can get in the way of our friendships but my experience has taught me that no matter what or who's fault it is, real friendship survives those moments and usually grows into something even better than it was. Always leave the door open to old and new alike. Sometimes our best friends are people we disagree with on topics like politics, religion and a number of other trivial aspects of life but ultimately, true friends are there for each other. Even if that means being on the receiving end of a boot up the arse. It just means we care and expect more from each other. I've been lucky to have had some great friends in my life time. Many are no longer with us and I miss them dearly. For the ones that are still banging about, I love each and everyone of them and thank them for putting so much joy into my life. I hope they can say the same for me

BTW, Mrs Ally has been my best friend for 35yrs. I know she feels the same about me cause during that time I've had many a boot up the arse from her...she just cares :lol:

If you say that about pets, Reggie, with all the respect that you deserve it´s because of ignorance and if you say "well, i had a pet before and i know" that demonstrates that you don´t understand animal instinct. Do some reseach and you will be able to understand why they behave like they do, as you´re recommending with lost friends.

I want to leave clear that i do not want to argue, it´s just a point of view like yours.

I have had many pets over the years and I do know about "animal instinct".

Even though pets have been "domesticated" they are still animals without the ability to think, have no souls, are for the most part colour blind and depend on humans for everything.

My point was that like humans they are NOT perfect but, can be the best companions outside of human friendship.

I do my research and knowledge comes from experience.

When I was a child I could run free with my dog, unlike nowadays they have to be kept like prisoners inside their home or if they are lucky in a yard.

Not a very good existence if you ask me and certainly no way to treat a "friend".

BTW, my dog Boy (whom I named after watching a Tarzan movie), was the very first friend I had.

I was about five years old when I got him as a pup and we grew up together and insperable until he was attacked and torn apart and killed by some vicious German Shepherd while I was at school).

My mother had to tell me and it was very a difficult time for both of us.

Only for the other dog being taken away I would've sorted it out with a pick axe, that's how upset I was at the time.

I never replaced him although we did have rabbits, fish and birds, but there would never be another dog who could take his place.

So don't tell me about things I might say, address the things I do say.

No argument here just another POV.

Cheers.

To me a real friendship is about respect and caring for one another. Sometimes circumstances can get in the way of our friendships but my experience has taught me that no matter what or who's fault it is, real friendship survives those moments and usually grows into something even better than it was. Always leave the door open to old and new alike. Sometimes our best friends are people we disagree with on topics like politics, religion and a number of other trivial aspects of life but ultimately, true friends are there for each other. Even if that means being on the receiving end of a boot up the arse. It just means we care and expect more from each other. I've been lucky to have had some great friends in my life time. Many are no longer with us and I miss them dearly. For the ones that are still banging about, I love each and everyone of them and thank them for putting so much joy into my life. I hope they can say the same for me

BTW, Mrs Ally has been my best friend for 35yrs. I know she feels the same about me cause during that time I've had many a boot up the arse from her...she just cares :lol:

I care Ally, and I know you do too. :blush::console::yay::kiss::oops::beer:

Very Kind Regards, Danny, and give my Love to Misses Ally too please. :thanku:

Archived