Steve Vai "How to be Successful"

The Pagemeister

Thanks for posting it.

Never heard him playing so perfect.Just when I thought this is too perfect he added some "mistakes" at the end.

The basic question is ,why this US mental programming is not working for others?.With thousands of great guitarheroes

in the world ,it is strange to see how few become famous.That is fact!

Steve Vai "How to be Successful"

That was great, thanks for that, his playing is other wordly , Great advice and had the opportunity to see him in Dave lee Roths Band and Whitesnake..Go listen to "Skyscaper" album By DLR to hear this geezer come up with some original playing, also he is a great Page fan (good man). Just one other thing, is he morphing into Jim Carey ?? :)

That was interesting, thanks. I've been reading (actually listening to the audio version) of a book called "Talent is Overrated" which - among other things - argues the opposite of what Steve Vai is saying he does. While Vai says he ignores his weaknesses and works only on his strengths, "Talent" says what separates high achievers from the pack is they specifically work to correct their weaknesses; the author calls it deliberate practice. I'd say Vai has more credibility in this area :)

Anyway, Vai is teaching an online course at his alma mater, Berklee College of Music, this year:

http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2010/12/10/steve-vai-to-teach-online-course-at-berklee-in-2011/

Thanks for posting it.

Never heard him playing so perfect.Just when I thought this is too perfect he added some "mistakes" at the end.

The basic question is ,why this US mental programming is not working for others?.With thousands of great guitarheroes

The answer to your question is simple really... Guitar players are a dime a dozen, good or bad, there's just to many of them for all the good ones to get any where passed a certain point of success.

That was interesting, thanks. I've been reading (actually listening to the audio version) of a book called "Talent is Overrated" which - among other things - argues the opposite of what Steve Vai is saying he does. While Vai says he ignores his weaknesses and works only on his strengths, "Talent" says what separates high achievers from the pack is they specifically work to correct their weaknesses; the author calls it deliberate practice. I'd say Vai has more credibility in this area :)

Anyway, Vai is teaching an online course at his alma mater, Berklee College of Music, this year:

http://guitarinternational.com/wpmu/2010/12/10/steve-vai-to-teach-online-course-at-berklee-in-2011/

Yeah, I've seen a video of what this guy has to say about talent, obviously he has none and wouldn't know it if it smacked him in the mouth. Talent is something that come's to some one naturally (this make's true uniqueness and originality) and can't be altered to much really. You can monkey around with style & sound a bit but not much more than that.

Thanks for posting it.

Because success also requires song writing skills. That's why someone like Kurt Cobain could become a huge success.

He was just a mediocre guitar player, but he could write some catchy tunes.

Because success also requires song writing skills. That's why someone like Kurt Cobain could become a huge success.

I would have to agree whit that '2bitnogoodjive' goes for a lot of others too, Noel Gallagher comes to mind. :o

Regards, Danny

I dont think Steve Vai is talking about monetary success, I think he is talking about personal success in Playing Music, not Making New Music, just my opinion.

Regards, Danny

PS, Paul Kossoff, another Guitarist who made it without being a top virtuoso.

I dont think Steve Vai is talking about monetary success, I think he is talking about personal success in Playing Music, not Making New Music, just my opinion.

Regards, Danny

PS, Paul Kossoff, another Guitarist who made it without being a top virtuoso.

Yeh agree with you there Bigdan, If you could package Vai/Satriani with Cobain etc then you would have the ultimate...Thats why I like Blackmore, great tunes but a bit falsh at times..too he had it all.

This might be a good answere.Hendrix was hitting the top of the hitlist like Page/Zep.

But I feel a bit unconfortable that May would not be well known without Freddy.

Maybe somebody in here knows a place where to find all the great unknown heroes.

Yes, your right, good word's, production, a nice hook (both musically and lyrically) and true talent is some of the things that makes a song a cut above the average POP hit.

I also agree with you guys about what Steve is saying in this video, it's sort of a pep talk with some advice on playing a song you maybe having trouble with.

This might be a good answere.Hendrix was hitting the top of the hitlist like Page/Zep.

But I feel a bit unconfortable that May would not be well known without Freddy.

Maybe somebody in here knows a place where to find all the great unknown heroes.

Yes.Anybody knows a domain where to listn to the new or unknown guitar-talents that play long instrumentals and not only bandstuff?

Yes.Anybody knows a domain where to listn to the new or unknown guitar-talents that play long instrumentals and not only bandstuff?

Try Youtube'ing any Joe Bonamassa.He's not really new or all that unknown,but his blues material is very cool and the man can play any style.

ETA:Thanks for the vid "The Pagemeister",Steve Vai is one switched on guitarist!

Edited by Ross62

• 3 weeks later...

Besides being a great guitar player, the thing that stands out about Steve is how relaxed he seems when he plays.

Side note, Steve was a guest musician on David Letterman; Dave was joking with him, asking if he could play anything else, and Steve starts playing Whole Lotta Love......