Flying Circus or St. Valentine's Day Massacre

pujols05

With the 2-12-75 and 2-14-75 shows both occurring 36 years ago this week, I'm curious what the forum thinks about these two shows. I've had the 2-12 show for years, first as an audience recording, and then the superb Flying Circus. It has to rank as one of the five best Zeppelin shows ever.

Still, the 2-14 show is right there with it, and the addition of "SIBLY" to the setlist makes up for any shortcomings, and the "glorious ice cream of Led Zeppelin" sounds great this night too. I think I would still personally give a slight edge to Flying Circus. What say ye?

Page's playing is better at the st. valentines. But flying circus is a all around a better show and i absolutely love 'thats alright mama' in the middle of heartbreaker. Both are awesome shows. Must haves.

Dont forget, St Louis 2-16-75 was this week too! Also a awesome SBD

Page's playing is better at the st. valentines. But flying circus is a all around a better show and i absolutely love 'thats alright mama' in the middle of heartbreaker. Both are awesome shows. Must haves.

Dont forget, St Louis 2-16-75 was this week too! Also a awesome SBD

Flyingzepp, you're right about St. Louis. I'm a sucker for all '75 shows, soundboard or not. Listening to St. Valentine's right now, I think my one hesitation with the recording is Bonzo's high hat (?) seems a bit dominant...or was not miced well.

I have a slight bias towards 02-12 as it was my first boot I heard, the SBD at that. I cut my teeth on that No Quarter in particular. SIBLY is very nice add on the 02-14 and I think overall the No Quarter is slightly better. But I still think 02-12 has the best Over the Hills that Ive heard and the overall sound mix of 02-12 is very very desirable if you like guitar. With very good headphones I feel Jimmy has plugged his guitar directly into my ear.

I might say overall 02-16 is the best of these three, I certainly think it has the best sound balance when it comes to all instruments.

Get your hands on the 'Four Blocks In The Snow' matrix of the 12-2 show OP, sounds totally awesome. Better than TSRTS imo.

I still prefer FC but FBITS is a great one and a wonderfully done matrix.

Get your hands on the 'Four Blocks In The Snow' matrix of the 12-2 show OP, sounds totally awesome. Better than TSRTS imo.

Hi Tom.

Yes, I agree. Especially better than the hack job done on the new TSRTS. Thank god I still have the original vinyl soundtrack which has the best No Quarter solo I've ever heard. I like the addition of the new tracks but, it's a shame what they did to that one. I know why 'cause it matches the movie and some legal stuff but still........

I have Four Blocks, St. Valentines's and, Snow Jobs. All very good. I can't get in to the poor sound quality stuff regardless of performance.

My dream is that Osaka 9/29/71 will someday appear in pristine sound but, I know it is just a dream.

I listened to a bit of St.Valentine's today. The cool riff at the beginning of Heartbreaker is worth the download itself for those who don't have it. A Ricky Nelson song I've heard mentioned?

My advice to anyone is if you don't have any of these titles mentioned.....download them ALL!!! The performances were better in the early days but these '75 soundboards do sound very good.

I don't post here much but, I read a lot. You guys are mostly all cool here. Especially 'cause you like Zep. thumbsup.gif

I have two versions of the 2-12-75 MSG show: Godfather's "That's Alright New York" and Red Devil's "Madison Square Graffiti", both of which I think sound better than "Flying Circus".

Comparing the 2-12 to the 2-14 "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" show is tough...both have excellent sound and some songs are better on one than the other...I think Rock n Roll and OTHAFA are better on St. Valentine's Day while Kashmir and Heartbreaker get the nod at the 2-12 show. No Quarter is great both nights, but you can start to hear the change in the arrangement at the 2-14 show.

I also prefer the 2-14 Whole Lotta Love as the funky Crunge interlude and theramin battle makes its 1975 debut...the 2-12 WLL feels naked without it. And yes, the addition of SIBLY to the setlist on 2-14 helps as well.

Maybe because I haven't heard the "St. Valentine's Day Massacre" show as much, I give it a slight nod above "That's Alright New York"...because the show is new to me it still sounds fresh, whereas I have had a boot of the 2-12 MSG show in one form or another for years.

I think both are good shows. But Robert's voice still bothers me. I think the first time in 75 I really liked Robert's voice was the 16th and he was still inconsistent after that till late March.

Yeah, Plant's voice was rough pretty much all tour. I always have to laugh when his voice totally fails him toward the end of "IMTOD" on 3-27-75 and he then tries to cover it with more ad libs.

I think both are good shows. But Robert's voice still bothers me. I think the first time in 75 I really liked Robert's voice was the 16th and he was still inconsistent after that till late March.

Yeah, Plant's voice was rough pretty much all tour. I always have to laugh when his voice totally fails him toward the end of "IMTOD" on 3-27-75 and he then tries to cover it with more ad libs.

I get passed the fact his voice is hoarse. I love the '75 tour and when you listen to most of the shows, you get used it. There wasn't much Robert could do about it because he did have the flu for part of the tour. However, I do not know what day or when he got better. I would assume sometime in late February/early March because his voice sounds to better.

Archived