Bron-Yr-Aur

BlackDog71

Upon listening to this song about a million times over the past 8-9 years or so, I have decided that "Bron-Yr-Aur" is one of my favorite Led Zeppelin songs. Even though it basically just revolves around the guitar mastery of Jimmy Page, I think it's a quiet masterpiece off of Physical Graffiti and even their entire catalog. The tuning, the strumming, the vibe, the sound, and the feeling the song gives me is just one I have come to appreciate more and more with each listen. It also helps that I am a sucker for instrumentals.

I think I just came to the realization of how great the song is earlier this year. It was upon hearing the song while watching the sunset one night while on vacation in California. The song just fit the mood of that day and no other song would have fit that moment quite as well. So now the song is not only really great to listen to, but it also has an emotional attachment for me. That's what Zeppelin's music does for me and I assume for most to all on this site. Another reason they are (to me) the greatest band to ever live.

I just figured I would share this with all my fellow Zep Heads. Anyone else have any other thoughts regarding this short but wonderful song?

When I was in high school, I used Bron-yr-Aur as the background music for a poem I had written about the sunset for a presentation in Spanish class.

(and I got an A) :)

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I am glad that someone else out there thinks a sunset seems to go really well with that song. And OF COURSE you got an A. It's Zeppelin! Either that or the teacher was a Zep Head. :rolleyes:

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing. I am glad that someone else out there thinks a sunset seems to go really well with that song. And OF COURSE you got an A. It's Zeppelin! Either that or the teacher was a Zep Head. :rolleyes:

Ever since the first time I heard Bron-yr-Aur, I have always pictured a beautiful sunset- and when we got the assignment from the teacher to present a poetry reading in class, I knew exactly what music I was going to use.

And no, the teacher wasn't a Zep fan at all- and neither were most of the other kids in the class ( this was around 1980 and everyone was more into pop). After the presentation someone asked what the music was, and when I said it was Led Zeppelin many were surprised (just like Walesdad sais in his post).

Ever since the first time I heard Bron-yr-Aur, I have always pictured a beautiful sunset- and when we got the assignment from the teacher to present a poetry reading in class, I knew exactly what music I was going to use.

And no, the teacher wasn't a Zep fan at all- and neither were most of the other kids in the class ( this was around 1980 and everyone was more into pop). After the presentation someone asked what the music was, and when I said it was Led Zeppelin many were surprised (just like Walesdad sais in his post).

It has always represented a sunset to me. I finally got to watch a gorgeous one while listening to the song too. It was a highlight of the trip. Thanks for sharing your story. B)

I think Page had a mini chip on his shoulder during those times. Which was a great thing. When people would try and label Zeppelin as something, he would come out with a song or the group would come out with an album to throw off the masses. Things like Zeppelin III (people who said they were all noise), Zeppelin IV having no name or album title on the album (to show that they weren't overrated and that their name wasn't what sold them), The Rain Song (after George Harrison said the only problem with the band was that they didn't do ballads), and Bron-Yr-Aur (I just feel it shows Page is a master on the guitar....and to all those that tried and still try to label his playing as "sloppy"..... can be pointed to this song as evidence to the contrary).

I think it's things like "Bron-Yr-Aur", and Page proving people wrong, that makes Led Zeppelin the special band they were and still are today.

Much better then the solo of Black Mountain Side, but it doesn't beat White Summer I don't think.

Bron-Yr-Aur though shows the skill Pagey put in the song should be a lot more popular it's so good infact it plants the image in our heads of a beautiful serene setting, like The Rain Song does by making us imagine a rain setting, it's a very clever thing they way Jimmy can make us imagine a setting just through a cord or riff..

I think Page had a mini chip on his shoulder during those times. Which was a great thing. When people would try and label Zeppelin as something, he would come out with a song or the group would come out with an album to throw off the masses. Things like Zeppelin III (people who said they were all noise), Zeppelin IV having no name or album title on the album (to show that they weren't overrated and that their name wasn't what sold them), The Rain Song (after George Harrison said the only problem with the band was that they didn't do ballads), and Bron-Yr-Aur (I just feel it shows Page is a master on the guitar....and to all those that tried and still try to label his playing as "sloppy"..... can be pointed to this song as evidence to the contrary).

I always thought they were so stylistically diverse naturally, not as a reaction to criticism.

I always thought they were so stylistically diverse naturally, not as a reaction to criticism.

I agree. I didn't mean to make that sound like anger was what made their music so good. Of course, those four guys were all amazing at what they did. I just meant that they always liked to show people that they didn't have them "figured out" and that Led Zeppelin couldn't be labeled.

"Bron-Yr-Aur" is one of my favourite instrumentals. It's just beautiful. Awesome piece of music if you want to relax yourself both physically and mentally. It is so soft and almost perfect in every way. You named it perfectly... A quiet masterpiece. :)

i have always loved that song too. def in my top 10. great song.

how many guitars are used? anyone know?

One.

Dr. Page played his 1971 Martin D-28: Dreadnought 6 string with an open C♭ (c-major)6 tuning (C-A-C-G-C-E), in conjunction with a modified chorus pedal, to create that airy ascent and bright chromatic presence.

Being the master audio engineer and producer (his passion was experimenting with their sound/stretching boundaries); he deliberately left in a few of the minor string chirps and tiny imperfections to capture that essence of the guitar's live charm and beauty. Close your eyes and it's like he's sitting in the room with you.

In my opinion, Bron Yr Aur belongs to a tradition of music that includes Beethoven's Für Elise and Mozart's Rondo in A minor k511. Pieces like these are absolutely timeless in their simplistic nature yet textured brilliance -- like the iridescent luster of a hummingbird's feathers.

It's among my top favorites too. I also love the contrast between the immediacy of Down By The Seaside following that reflective calm of Bron Yr Aur.

GOD they are AWESOME!

• 4 weeks later...

My Aha! moment. Courtesy of Bron-Yr-Aur and That's the Way.

The quiet masterpieces that snuck up on me.

Have you had these? It hits you, some realization or thought that really get's your attention? One of them slapped me up-side the head this morning! See, I was in a bit of a mood that needed a certain kind of music to complement it. Quite often, when I am working around the house, driving, whatever, I will put my music collection on shuffle and let it play on. Occasionally I'll skip a tune here and there, never have I skipped a Zep tune though.

This morning I knew the Boys could take care of my mood.

I put on "That's The Way" "Bron-Yr-Aur" "No Quarter" then "The Rain Song".

Ah, that's better. The itch has been scratched. My mind was clearer.

For me, back in the 70's and 80's it was "Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band" filling most of my musical needs. I had all their albums; my allowance/birthday money went towards them. But, if I had a need to really rock it I would spin something else, AC/DC typically. If the mood was much more mellow Seger could take care of it some times, but I would quite often look for something else to satisfy me. "Chicago" and "Boston" helped often, depending on the need. There was not a single band that could do it all for me.

I didn't know I was looking and I didn't notice that it happened, but somewhere along my music time line Bob Seger and others got shuffled down on the list. Led Zeppelin (primarily) snuck in there and was now filling this opening. They now had top billing.

Reading these forums I have come across several thought provoking questions. There have been several that, in one form oranother, ask "Why Led Zeppelin?" and it made me think of my reason.

While "Bron-Yr-Aur" was playing I noticed that although I was still listening to Jimmy play (ya, that's right, we're on a first name basis! shifty.gif) it was the visual image it was painting in my mind that was satisfying me. With "That's The Way" it was really the lyrics and Robert's vocals that were doing the job. That was the reason for playing these, at least this time it was. Jimmy is the first reason for my love of the band, I love guitars, and I thank his profound ability's for drawing me in. I thought it was just him. At first Jimmy was my answer to "Why Led Zeppelin?"

But there it was, my Aha! moment. Bron-Yr-Aur.

Right then I had realized…"that's why it's still Led Zeppelin" for me.

A musical need. Or, "one stop shopping" if you will.

A best friend.

I mentioned Jimmy Page was my"carrot". But this is by far not the first time I have been absorbed by the genius of Jimmy, Robert, JP and Bonzo. Not by a long shot. I thank Jimmy for the introduction to Them. But this time, for some reason, I took notice of it and realized that what- ever my musical needs are The Boy's can satisfy it.

Thanks Guy's, I needed that.

It seems others have had a Zeppelin Aha! moment? (please, no Oprah references!)

Steve B

Hmmmm…

Just a thought, this might explain my song choices leading up to, during, and the eventual end of my marriage!

Whole Lotta Love

Celebration Day

Good Times, Bad Times

Communication Breakdown

Babe I'm Gonna Leave You

Nobody's Fault but Mine

Ten Years Gone (it was 5 but felt like 10huh.gif)

Tea for One

Friends

Hope I didn't Ramble On too much? Cheers all!

Archived