L.A. 1971

badgeholder

New versions of both nights have recently surfaced. I haven't done the A/B thing to see if it's just a lo-gen, re-mastered version of the familiar tapes or new, uncirculated recordings (I'm thinking the latter). But either way, it's an eye-popping upgrade! Curious to hear if anyone else has given these a listen. My first reaction: WOW ! Great atmosphere, almost Millard-

- esque sound. Known as the 'Bill B' source...check 'em out and post your thoughts!

This is welcome news. I have the EVSD 4-cd set Firecrackers Explosion which contains both nights at the Forum: August 21 & 22, 1971.

If the latest is an upgrade from that, I would be happy indeed.

Now, if only there was an upgrade(possibly a soundbaord?) of the Sept. 19, 1970 evening show at Madison Square Garden!

On further review, I think it's the same tapes. They just sound better than I remembered. (The Definitive Kingdom & 7th American Tour) This does sound different, but,

not the drastic upgrade I implied in my original knee-jerk review :blush: great shows though, worth another listen fo sho

On further review, I think it's the same tapes. They just sound better than I remembered. (The Definitive Kingdom & 7th American Tour) This does sound different, but,

not the drastic upgrade I implied in my original knee-jerk review :blush: great shows though, worth another listen fo sho

Two great shows indeed !

Both those Whole Lotta Live releases are sources from stuff Tarantura put out way back in the early 90's so I'm not supprized present sources/mastering sound better.

The 21st has always been a bit of an underated classic for me, indeed I'v always thought it would have made the perfect live album, maybe not as "interesting" as say the Japanese shows but very tight while still retaining the fun improvised side.

Both those Whole Lotta Live releases are sources from stuff Tarantura put out way back in the early 90's so I'm not supprized present sources/mastering sound better.

The 21st has always been a bit of an underated classic for me, indeed I'v always thought it would have made the perfect live album, maybe not as "interesting" as say the Japanese shows but very tight while still retaining the fun improvised side.

What's alway's surprised me about the 21st and the 22nd for that matter, is that Gallows Pole was dropped from the set list. It was a jaw dropper in Vancouver on the 19th

What would the recording quality more closely resemble: Oakland 9/2/70 or LA 9/4/70? In other words what other shows is the sound quality similar to? Thanks!

Peace.

What's alway's surprised me about the 21st and the 22nd for that matter, is that Gallows Pole was dropped from the set list. It was a jaw dropper in Vancouver on the 19th

I looked at this Zeppelin reference site you can find as my signature to check and see the setlist. I guess there are no known boots of the show because the guy doesn't have a setlist. The only other two times I know Gallows Pole was played was Copenhagen 5/3/71 and Ipswich 11/16/71. No surprise to me that they didn't play it many times; too many parts but they did an awesome job performing it. A rare treat if you will :).

I looked at this Zeppelin reference site you can find as my signature to check and see the setlist. I guess there are no known boots of the show because the guy doesn't have a setlist. The only other two times I know Gallows Pole was played was Copenhagen 5/3/71 and Ipswich 11/16/71. No surprise to me that they didn't play it many times; too many parts but they did an awesome job performing it. A rare treat if you will :).

They also played Gallows Pole at the 5/10/71 Liverpool University show (though the reviewer referred to it as "Gallup Poll!")

A rare treat for sure and unfortunately, no known recording of the 8/19/71 show has surfaced...yet ! On the night, they did a stepped up version of GP that was more akin to the MSG Evening Show 9/19/70.

I enjoy both the 21 and 22(love the Walk Don't Run intro) Forum shows but IMO they pale in comparison to later shows like Orlando and Toronto mainly because the ending of Celebration Day wasn't as developed early on in the 1971 tour as it was say in September and October.

Celebration Day SLAYS during the latter stages of the 71 tour.

• 4 weeks later...

I enjoy both the 21 and 22(love the Walk Don't Run intro) Forum shows but IMO they pale in comparison to later shows like Orlando and Toronto mainly because the ending of Celebration Day wasn't as developed early on in the 1971 tour as it was say in September and October.

Celebration Day SLAYS during the latter stages of the 71 tour.

I'd disagree there, the 21st is for me up there with Berkely as the best show of the tour were as Toronto always sounded a bit uninspired and lacking in energy.

I'd disagree there, the 21st is for me up there with Berkely as the best show of the tour were as Toronto always sounded a bit uninspired and lacking in energy.

This is probably because the quality of sound from the SB is a bit stale and is a little bass heavy. Many of the AUDS have better sound than this. It was a great performance, just the quality was the problem from the source.

This is probably because the quality of sound from the SB is a bit stale and is a little bass heavy. Many of the AUDS have better sound than this. It was a great performance, just the quality was the problem from the source.

I wouldnt say LA's aud recording is all that great but I think you can clearly hear that show has more energy than Toronto, indeed more energy than pretty much any other show I can think of with Plant putting in arguely his best ever performance.

Again its not a very heavy criticism since were talking 71 Zep standards but I have always felt that alot of the US tour from that year was a little more workmanlike than the shows from the UK and Japan with the first LA date being one of the few that measures up to the best gigs from those tours.

Archived