David Coverdale would do more music with Jimmy Page

WILL COVERDALE GET BACK WITH PAGE OR PURPLE?

This news came from the great website Classic Rock Revisited

My link

During his career, Whitesnake singer David Coverdale has worked with some amazing musicians. He started back in the early 70s in Deep Purple, and then in the early 90s he was in Coverdale and Page with Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page. So will David ever reunite with any of those guys? He filled us in.

Im asked all the time, Are you going to do another album with Jimmy Page? If Jimmy called me and he was doing an album like Supernatural, like Carlos Santana where he had guests, one song, Id be just delighted. I adore Page and love him and we maintain a great relationship. Am I going to rejoin Deep Purple? No! When? And forgive me, why? Unless its something to do with Japan because thats who introduced me to Japan and the Japanese people have looked after my career for almost 40 years, I wouldnt hesitate.

So why wouldnt David reunite full time? He went on to explain.

The idea of stopping this most fulfilling enterprise Ive got a great orchestra, great guys, great players as you can hear and a brand new album that I think is going to grab everyone by the short and curlies in the most pleasant way.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would love for Jimmy and Coverdale to work together again as I think the Coverdale/Page album was some of Jimmy's finest playing.

Also if you have never seen the Whitesnake DVD-Live in the Still of the Night. There is a bit during the documentary where Jimmy Page comes in the backstage door and David greets him and turns to the camera and says' this is my mate' and then the camera turns to Jimmy and he smiles and says 'and he is my mate.' Nice stuff.

Why would you call Classic Rock Revisted a great website. Doesn't seem special or anything different from other music websites.

Getting back with David Coverdale would probably not be the best choice for Mr. Page.

Why would you call Classic Rock Revisted a great website. Doesn't seem special or anything different from other music websites.

Getting back with David Coverdale would probably not be the best choice for Mr. Page.

I think it would be the best possible option.

Coverdale/Page blows away everything Page has done Pre and Post-Zep.

For me, I prefer anything he did with the Yardbirds to any of the CP music.

It's hard to quantify musical taste, but I just think its just awful. It's like he took inspiration from all the bands who misrepresented Zeppelin, and made hair metal.

It's like he made an album of cheap Zep rip off material. For me, the whole thing is in bad taste. It sounds amateur to me.

well it gives reviews of classic rock artist's expanded cd's that other sites only carter to newer releases, it has lots of really good interviews that other sites have basically kissed off as they are old news and the news section is always up to date and caters to the bands I like not the new crap out there- curious have you even looked at the site?

It's hard to quantify musical taste, but I just think its just awful. It's like he took inspiration from all the bands who misrepresented Zeppelin, and made hair metal.

It's like he made an album of cheap Zep rip off material. For me, the whole thing is in bad taste. It sounds amateur to me.

I'm going to send my doctor bill to you... because I fell out of my chair when I read this post! :lol: I don't even know where to begin here... and I am trying to remind myself that you are entitled to your opinion, but Jimmy's work on Coverdale/Page is monumental and very deep. The opening track, Shake My Tree, has a cool blues riff that transcends into a simple, but effective monstrous riff. Pride & Joy... oh my God, this is a tour-de-force of the Page Guitar Army. You have acoustics, electrics, dulcimers, various tunings... and a nod to Jason Bonham's only hit w/ the cool C# chord that comes out of nowhere. Over Now is just a massive, pissed-off sounding riff... Take Me For A Little While and Easy Does It show more of the acoustic side and whilst both are different they are both timeless. Absolution Blues is a riff on steroids... one of those only-Jimmy Page-riffs... His one take solo on Don't Leave Me This Way shows his blues chops are still in tact and Whisper A Prayer For The Dying wraps things up w/ a powerful, drop D ass-kicking riff that takes no prisoners.

Cheap Zep rip off? :lol:

I'm going to send my doctor bill to you... because I fell out of my chair when I read this post! :lol: I don't even know where to begin here... and I am trying to remind myself that you are entitled to your opinion, but Jimmy's work on Coverdale/Page is monumental and very deep. The opening track, Shake My Tree, has a cool blues riff that transcends into a simple, but effective monstrous riff. Pride & Joy... oh my God, this is a tour-de-force of the Page Guitar Army. You have acoustics, electrics, dulcimers, various tunings... and a nod to Jason Bonham's only hit w/ the cool C# chord that comes out of nowhere. Over Now is just a massive, pissed-off sounding riff... Take Me For A Little While and Easy Does It show more of the acoustic side and whilst both are different they are both timeless. Absolution Blues is a riff on steroids... one of those only-Jimmy Page-riffs... His one take solo on Don't Leave Me This Way shows his blues chops are still in tact and Whisper A Prayer For The Dying wraps things up w/ a powerful, drop D ass-kicking riff that takes no prisoners.

Cheap Zep rip off? :lol:

Musically, Jimmy plays well and uses a lot of great unique guitar techniques. It's DC, I have the problem with and you can pretty much tell which songs he had more of a hand in writing than others. Could have been a great album without him. Needed a singer who is always challenging oneself, incorporating new styles and just being original. DC is not this. Jimmy could have done much more with a better collaborator.

I agree.

Page & Plant is the best post-Zepp Jimmy for me, followed by Death Wish, then The Firm, then Outrider, Coverdale/Page I would rather forget.

I agree.

Page & Plant is the best post-Zepp Jimmy for me, followed by Death Wish, then The Firm, then Outrider, Coverdale/Page I would rather forget.

Knebby, I was really happy to see that he could write songs like City Don't Cry, Wonderful One and Heart in your Hand, after what he came up with on the CP album. That was a relief.

I also would place Outrider where you do in the ranking. I like a lot of the writing and playing on the CD. The production is a bit suspect to me though, a bit too splashy and obvious in some places, but not for the whole album. Magnify that many times to overly obvious, and for the whole CD, and you get the production on CP.

He seemed to reign himself in a bit after The Firm (in reference to Outrider). I think he's just wild on those 2 Firm CDs. Excellent! His tone and playing are in outer space!

Jimmy played great guitar on the Roy Harper and Stephen Stills sessions and it was a treat to hear him in that format. I'm pretty sure he had no hand in the writing of the material where he added his guitar.

As far as Page's own compositions since 1980, I've liked his instrumental work the most. I was hoping he'd go in the Jeff Beck direction and just let his guitar do the talking.Why bother with the endless Robert Plant comparisons when he chooses to play with other singers. He hasn't had any major success or proper notice with any singer collaborating on new songs since the end of Zeppelin.

Musically, Jimmy plays well and uses a lot of great unique guitar techniques. It's DC, I have the problem with and you can pretty much tell which songs he had more of a hand in writing than others. Could have been a great album without him. Needed a singer who is always challenging oneself, incorporating new styles and just being original. DC is not this. Jimmy could have done much more with a better collaborator.

coverdale is awesome wish he would do zeppelin or maybe sebastion bach from skid row would be good

Page doing the Jeff Beck thing would be incredible, his music does not necessarily need a voice, that is what his guitar is for. I saw Page in The Firm, Outrider, and Page/Plant post-Zeppelin and I enjoyed his playing in all these avenues. Whatever he eventually decides to do I am positive it will be quite brilliant and I will be as thrilled as Courtney Love scoring some Horse from Paris Hilton.

Jimmy played great guitar on the Roy Harper and Stephen Stills sessions and it was a treat to hear him in that format. I'm pretty sure he had no hand in the writing of the material where he added his guitar.

As far as Page's own compositions since 1980, I've liked his instrumental work the most. I was hoping he'd go in the Jeff Beck direction and just let his guitar do the talking.Why bother with the endless Robert Plant comparisons when he chooses to play with other singers. He hasn't had any major success or proper notice with any singer collaborating on new songs since the end of Zeppelin.

Agreed Chicago. In a way, I suppose both things were a bit of a return to doing sessions, but this time working with great musicians for the pleasure of doing it, and I too thought some of the strongest moments on Outrider were Writes of Winter and Emerald Eyes, and Death Wish similarly has some really good instrumental stuff (apart from the Chopin bit). He does tend to write a lot of music that needs a singer, but for the purposes of making one more album with original music the overall emphasis at least can definitely be changed in favor of the instrumental. That would seem to make it less commercial, perhaps, but you never really know about such things, and anyway the main thing is the music.

He has worked with amazing singers since Led Zeppelin (Chris Farlowe, Roy Harper and Paul Rodgers), but the thing is, because that band realized his musical vision in such a brilliant and sustained fashion, whenever you hear his playing the others will come to mind, and especially Robert. In this respect his position has been different to that of Robert and Jonesy after the band quit, because they only started to carry the main musical weight towards the very end of the band's career. This is a lot more difficult to get around it seems to me than people often assume, but I think you're right that thinking more in terms of instrumental music might facilitate things somewhat.

But we'll see what he does. If he does anything, that is.

• 3 weeks later...

Coverdale and Page was a great album. I'm still bummed that the tour was cancelled. I had 4th row center tickets for the concert in Detroit. It was my chance to see Jimmy Page up close. I bought the tickets through Ticketmaster. Back in those days (before the internet) you had to call or go to a ticket outlet to purchase tickets. The tickets went on sale at 10am. But if you called at 10am you were most likely to get a busy signal. So I called at 9:40am and kept the agent on the line (asking about Red Wings games and other events). At exactly 10am I told the agent I wanted 2 tickets. I ended up getting 4th row. I felt like I won the lotto.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvw_qcFlEA

• 2 weeks later...

Coverdale and Page was a great album. I'm still bummed that the tour was cancelled. I had 4th row center tickets for the concert in Detroit. It was my chance to see Jimmy Page up close. I bought the tickets through Ticketmaster. Back in those days (before the internet) you had to call or go to a ticket outlet to purchase tickets. The tickets went on sale at 10am. But if you called at 10am you were most likely to get a busy signal. So I called at 9:40am and kept the agent on the line (asking about Red Wings games and other events). At exactly 10am I told the agent I wanted 2 tickets. I ended up getting 4th row. I felt like I won the lotto.

Ha, interesting story man. That was the way to do it back then. My parents stood in line quite a while to get page/plant tickets for tacoma dome in 95

Coverdale and Page was a great album. I'm still bummed that the tour was cancelled. I had 4th row center tickets for the concert in Detroit.

Do you recall the date and venue for the Detroit concert?

Do you still have the tickets?

Do you recall the date and venue for the Detroit concert?

Do you still have the tickets?

I had tickets for the Coverdale/Page show in Houston for 1993-but when the tour was canceled I returned the tickets and got my money back. But if I remember right the date for the Houston show was either in September or October '93. Maybe that helps on the Detroit date.

I had tickets for the Coverdale/Page show in Houston for 1993-but when the tour was canceled I returned the tickets and got my money back. But if I remember right the date for the Houston show was either in September or October '93. Maybe that helps on the Detroit date.

It gets somewhat complicated because a 45 date North American arena tour was slated to begin circa June 1993 before it was all rescheduled for October/November. The rescheduling announcement was made first week of August, then the whole tour was cancelled about three weeks later on account of sluggish ticket sales. I don't know for certain yet if 45 dates were announced for Jun/Jul or if it was 45 dates from Jul-Oct but these are the tour details I have been able to confirm thus far:

45 Date Coverdale/Page North/American Tour (cancelled)

Jul 18th - Burgettstown, PA Coca-Cola Amphitheater

Jul 28th - Darien Lake, PA Darien Center

Aug 10th - Antioch, TN Starwood Amphitheater

Oct 8th - Miami, FL

Oct 9th - Tampa, FL University of Southern Florida - Sundome

Oct 10th - Orlanda, FL Orlando Arena

Oct 15th - Atlanta, GA The Omni

Oct 20th - Dallas, TX Dallas Convention Center Arena

Oct ?? - Houston, TX

Archived