2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

Matt Flynn was a pretty good college quarterback at LSU, winning a national championship in his last year there. The irony is he had to wait his turn there too, serving as backup to JaMarcus Russell (I know Strider remembers him well lol). Flynn has also had prior success with the Packers when Rodgers wasn't playing due to a concussion. So it's not like he fell out of the sky torching the Lions like he did.

I also think a quarterback is only as great as the system he plays in. Clearly the Packers have a great system in place. Flynn has to move somewhere to make his money but I would suggest another guy who benefitted from a great system...........Matt Cassle. Remember the year he had for the Patriots when Brady was out for the year? KC signed him to enormous money.........and how did that work out.

So I hope Flynn gets his contract, but on a good team with a good system in place for his obvious talents to shine. I really think in the NFL it's all about the system.

Not any worse than Seattle last year and look what they were able to accomplish. You never know, that's why they play the game.

Well I know one thing. Denver will LOSE. And I hate both teams. As for the Lions game, what really worries me is the Saints defense has played better lately. Detroit will have to put up 45 to stand any chance as we know they cannot stop the Saints offense. I cannot get any feeling for that Cincy game. If Houston had their QB I would say its a Houston win. But I believe cincy can and will win due to the QB situation. I want to see Atlanta hand the Giants their butts on a platter.

Matt Flynn was a pretty good college quarterback at LSU, winning a national championship in his last year there. The irony is he had to wait his turn there too, serving as backup to JaMarcus Russell (I know Strider remembers him well lol). Flynn has also had prior success with the Packers when Rodgers wasn't playing due to a concussion. So it's not like he fell out of the sky torching the Lions like he did.

I also think a quarterback is only as great as the system he plays in. Clearly the Packers have a great system in place. Flynn has to move somewhere to make his money but I would suggest another guy who benefitted from a great system...........Matt Cassle. Remember the year he had for the Patriots when Brady was out for the year? KC signed him to enormous money.........and how did that work out.

So I hope Flynn gets his contract, but on a good team with a good system in place for his obvious talents to shine. I really think in the NFL it's all about the system.

Matt Cassel is one of many former back up QB's who have proven to be a waste of big money. Remember when the Bills signed Rob Johnson from the Jags ? He impressed in one pre season game agaist a very good 49er team and all of a sudden he was the second coming of Joe Namath. Now there's no doubt that Matt Flynn has benefited from a great system but remember, it's the same system for Aaron Rodgers and whenever Flynn has had to fill the role, he's done so . I'm not saying that he's a world beater but I can think of a number of teams who have weaker starting QB's. Personally, I'd love to see him in Seattle

Matt Cassel is one of many former back up QB's who have proven to be a waste of big money. Remember when the Bills signed Rob Johnson from the Jags ? He impressed in one pre season game agaist a very good 49er team and all of a sudden he was the second coming of Joe Namath. Now there's no doubt that Matt Flynn has benefited from a great system but remember, it's the same system for Aaron Rodgers and whenever Flynn has had to fill the role, he's done so . I'm not saying that he's a world beater but I can think of a number of teams who have weaker starting QB's. Personally, I'd love to see him in Seattle

Carroll is working his magic in Seattle and building them up pretty good. As for Johnson in Buffalo, the Music City Miracle may have been his undoing. He marches the Bills down to an apparent winning field goal with his shoe off. Remember that? I am celebrating what I think is a Bills win and the next thing you know they pull off that crazy kick off return miracle that is right up there with the imaculate reception as far as miraculous finishes. Wade Phillips could not believe it nor could we. That was the last play the Bills had in the playoffs back in 99. That Titans team fell a yard short of winning it all and thank goodness the Rams finally got one. I think that one play changed Rob Johnson's career forever. It is another haunting play in Buffalo history but still not as bad as WIDE RIGHT.

Carroll is working his magic in Seattle and building them up pretty good. As for Johnson in Buffalo, the Music City Miracle may have been his undoing. He marches the Bills down to an apparent winning field goal with his shoe off. Remember that? I am celebrating what I think is a Bills win and the next thing you know they pull off that crazy kick off return miracle that is right up there with the imaculate reception as far as miraculous finishes. Wade Phillips could not believe it nor could we. That was the last play the Bills had in the playoffs back in 99. That Titans team fell a yard short of winning it all and thank goodness the Rams finally got one. I think that one play changed Rob Johnson's career forever. It is another haunting play in Buffalo history but still not as bad as WIDE RIGHT.

I think Rob Johnson was overrated from the get go but like I said, he's only one of many. I do however think that Flynn is the real deal. He show's some real poise and has a great arm too. As for Seattle, I'm not sure they'll be in a position to go after Flynn. They need to improve other areas of the team and keeping Lynch, who is also a FA ,is a must. BTW, Drew Brees is a FA too

I think you can say the same about the Bears. Since it ended up costing some people their job, you'd think they would have went out and got a quarterback after Cutler got hurt. They were still competing for a playoff spot. There were some that were available that could have been easily had cheap (like Drew Stanton), but a new QB would have to learn Martz' passing system. That's impossible to do in a limited time. It's also why they originally wasted their time with Roy Williams, because he already knew the system from when Martz was at Detroit. I'm convinced Martz is a heard-headed idiot, and I'm betting his days of being an offensive coordinator are over. You can't expect a qb to hold the ball for 7-8 seconds in this league anymore.

I think you can say the same about the Bears. Since it ended up costing some people their job, you'd think they would have went out and got a quarterback after Cutler got hurt. They were still competing for a playoff spot. There were some that were available that could have been easily had cheap (like Drew Stanton), but a new QB would have to learn Martz' passing system. That's impossible to do in a limited time. It's also why they originally wasted their time with Roy Williams, because he already knew the system from when Martz was at Detroit. I'm convinced Martz is a heard-headed idiot, and I'm betting his days of being an offensive coordinator are over. You can't expect a qb to hold the ball for 7-8 seconds in this league anymore.

I agree,Martz is hard headed and IMHO a QB killer. Cutler is decent but yeah, no one can be expected to hold on to the ball that long.

I think Rob Johnson was overrated from the get go but like I said, he's only one of many. I do however think that Flynn is the real deal. He show's some real poise and has a great arm too. As for Seattle, I'm not sure they'll be in a position to go after Flynn. They need to improve other areas of the team and keeping Lynch, who is also a FA ,is a must. BTW, Drew Brees is a FA too

Rich Gannon is the classic example of a guy that did not look very good and all of a sudden, wham! MVP. QB's can be tough to guage. When a guy like the late great Bill Walsh says a QB is good you tend to believe him. So that is why I have a Trent Edwards jersey iin my closet collecting dust. Dare I wear it out of the house again? Until the concussion I thought he was good. Was never the same after that hit in Arizona.

Rich Gannon is the classic example of a guy that did not look very good and all of a sudden, wham! MVP. QB's can be tough to guage. When a guy like the late great Bill Walsh says a QB is good you tend to believe him. So that is why I have a Trent Edwards jersey iin my closet collecting dust. Dare I wear it out of the house again? Until the concussion I thought he was good. Was never the same after that hit in Arizona.

True enough about Gannon. Thing is, he was schooled very well during his day's as a back up and with the cap, that's not a luxury many teams have these day's. Almost impossible to keep a good back up QB and too many of them who leave their team thru FA haven't had enough experience to be bonafide starting QB's in this league.

True enough about Gannon. Thing is, he was schooled very well during his day's as a back up and with the cap, that's not a luxury many teams have these day's. Almost impossible to keep a good back up QB and too many of them who leave their team thru FA haven't had enough experience to be bonafide starting QB's in this league.

I hope the Bills get rid of Pig Pen. And I will be shocked if the Jets keep Sanchez who was a pretender from the get go. They will shop this Green Bay guy I am sure. Can you believe the Chargeres kept Turner? I mean, what does it take to get fired in that city? All the talent he has had and two times misses the playoffs in arguably the worst division in the NFL for some of the last few seasons. If I were a Chargers fan I would be furious. He is an offensive coordinator and that is it. San Diego has the best QB in that division hands down in Rivers. I do not know if Carson Palmer will come through in Oakland but he is worth a look. Cant give up on him yet. If you told me at the beginning of the year that Cincy and Denver would be in and the Jets out, i would think you were crazy. I wish I could have seen the end of that Jets game. Ill bet the boo birds were out in force? Back to Denver for a minute, I do not think a Blizzard will save the sorry Bronco's. Tebow. Ha. Exposed in Buffalo. Exposed!!

Rivers might be the best QB in the AFC West and definitely has the talent to be a very good one but at the moment, I think he has to be the most overrated QB in the league. You have to remember that the Chargers let Drew Brees go to keep this guy. I've never been a Norv Turner fan . Hard NOT to win with Aikman, Smith, Irving and maybe the best offensive line in the last 20yrs. IMHO, he's been living on that reputation for years ( remember Washington ? ) and has done nothing to make me think he's the guy that's going to get the best out of Rivers.

Can't completely rule out the Tebow factor but I think the Steelers defence will be too much for the Broncos. I think the Steelers win regardless if Big Ben plays or not. Haven't decided on the Falcons/ Giants game yet but I really like Matt Ryan

Norv Turner must have pictures of the Spanos goofs sucking cock, because he should've been fired AGES ago! I've never liked him. Funny thing is, I didn't care much for Schottenheimer either...good regular season coach but terrible in the clutch, in the playoffs.

But you don't get rid of Schottenheimer if all you're going to do is bring in a retread like Norv Turner! When they did that, I knew San Diego was doomed to failure.

Look how quickly Harbaugh turned San Francisco around! All these coaches who whine that it takes 5 years to turn a team around and give their system a chance have just been put on notice: the RIGHT coach can make a difference IMMEDIATELY!

It's up to the GM's around the league to start thinking creatively and outside the box like San Francisco did, and stop hiring the same retreads over and over.

Matt Flynn definitely played his way to a bigger contract. Merry Christmas Flynn family. People have mentioned Matt Cassell and Rob Johnson.

I'll give you two more words: Scott Mitchell.

The salary cap has also made the NFL a young mans league and IMHO, the old school ways of coaching no longer have the desired effect on many of today's players. Not here to debate the rights and wrongs of that but it is the way of it. For that reason though, I feel younger coaches with new ideas and a different approach is pretty much a must these day's. Belichik has been smart enough to adapt but other older head coaches like Turner and Shanahan have not and I think it's reflective on their teams records. That theory applies to assistant coaches as well

The salary cap has also made the NFL a young mans league and IMHO, the old school ways of coaching no longer have the desired effect on many of today's players. Not here to debate the rights and wrongs of that but it is the way of it. For that reason though, I feel younger coaches with new ideas and a different approach is pretty much a must these day's. Belichik has been smart enough to adapt but other older head coaches like Turner and Shanahan have not and I think it's reflective on their teams records. That theory applies to assistant coaches as well

Well Buffalo's coach stuck his neck out and benched his best reciever due to his end zone celebrations. And he is up for contract. Will be interesting to see if he is back? Gailey put his foot down, true they were out of it and nothing was at stake, but still it pissed him off. These million dollar babies are not going to listen to the Lombardi type any longer it seems.

I think today's players understand disipline alright but they're picky about who they respect. Jim Harbaugh didn't build the 49ers but obviously, he has the players respect and he sure found a way to install missing confidence in Alex Smth. Also, when I said older coaches I meant old school coaches. Age itself has nothing to do with it .

Well personally I believe the Chargers are making a big mistake keeping Turner. And the Eagles as well keeping Reid. Guys like Lurie in Philly and Brown in Cincy are as conservative as they come. I know the Bills have a good coach in Gailey. Did a good job under impossible conditions. Injuries all over the place and still got them to show up.

My weekend picks

Bengals

Steelers

Falcons

Saints

I agree with all Ally. And if you are right, I may actually make a few bucks. :lol:

Only thing that worries me is the presence of Jake Delomme. I always thought he was good. And if he comes in for Houston, who knows?

Just go the other way and you will be rich. HA. I really do not know what to really think of that Cincy and Houston game. In Vegas Houston just went to minus 4. I bet New Orleans -3 in the first quarter. The Lions always seem to fall behind and come roaring back late.

Just go the other way and you will be rich. HA. I really do not know what to really think of that Cincy and Houston game. In Vegas Houston just went to minus 4. I bet New Orleans -3 in the first quarter. The Lions always seem to fall behind and come roaring back late.

Yeah, that Houston / Cincy game is a toss up but I'm thinking that the Texans have had a pretty easy schedule and their record is a little flattering. Cincy ain't great but they should be good enough.

Unlike many, I think the Saints / Lions game will be very close. The only reason I'm picking the Saints is because of Drew Brees and a more experienced playoff coaching staff . This game may be the best game we've seen this year cause the Lions have absolutely nothing to lose and both teams can put em up

Yeah, that Houston / Cincy game is a toss up but I'm thinking that the Texans have had a pretty easy schedule and their record is a little flattering. Cincy ain't great but they should be good enough.

Unlike many, I think the Saints / Lions game will be very close. The only reason I'm picking the Saints is because of Drew Brees and a more experienced playoff coaching staff . This game may be the best game we've seen this year cause the Lions have absolutely nothing to lose and both teams can put em up

I am looking forward to the Atlanta and Giants game. I believe that could be a heck of a game. I will be cheering for Atlanta. Some Giants fans here I will certainly heckle if things go the way I hope. Which seldom happens. I would love to see Detroit win. But do I think they can? No. I just cant see it. Too much experience. And the Saints defense is better than advertised lately. The stinker is Denver and Pittsburgh. At least on paper. Pittsburgh has alot of problems on offense and will no doubt use this game to try and sharpen their game up if they hope to win in Baltimore. A tall order. I think Baltimore and New England are on a collision course. But the NFC is far more unpredictable. I suppose New England could get knocked off by Cincy or Houston? I would have given Houston a shot had it not been for those untimely injuries to their QB's

It's all a guessing game. I 'm going by what I've seen of the teams late in the regular season because what happened earlier in the year really means nothing unless one feels that a team still doesn't match up physically. I agree, the NFC is definitely up for grabs but I wouldn't rule that out in the AFC either. All of the playoff teams have some glaring weaknesses and on a bad day, anyone can lose.

It's all a guessing game. I 'm going by what I've seen of the teams late in the regular season because what happened earlier in the year really means nothing unless one feels that a team still doesn't match up physically. I agree, the NFC is definitely up for grabs but I wouldn't rule that out in the AFC either. All of the playoff teams have some glaring weaknesses and on a bad day, anyone can lose.

And that is why suckers like me are born every day to keep the bookies alive. Ha. But you just have to love the action. I do not think Denver belongs in the playoffs but someone had to win that division. It should have been either the Chargers or Raiders who at least have an ounce of talent. Denver is the worst team to make the playoffs in recent memory. If Pittsburgh didnt have so many issues on the injury front I would bet the ranch. But with my luck a Blizzrd would come in at kickoff and a whiteout would cause a monumental upset. That is the stinker of the four games and the Cincy game is not far behind. the other two are good ones to watch.

And that is why suckers like me are born every day to keep the bookies alive. Ha. But you just have to love the action. I do not think Denver belongs in the playoffs but someone had to win that division. It should have been either the Chargers or Raiders who at least have an ounce of talent. Denver is the worst team to make the playoffs in recent memory. If Pittsburgh didnt have so many issues on the injury front I would bet the ranch. But with my luck a Blizzrd would come in at kickoff and a whiteout would cause a monumental upset. That is the stinker of the four games and the Cincy game is not far behind. the other two are good ones to watch.

On paper I agree, the Steelers / Bronco game is the stinker . You're right ,it would be just my shit ass luck that a blizzard came down out of the Rockies and Tebow ran for 200 yrds and 3 td's :lol:

Archived