2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

I like their chances RH. I like Brees and Payton a ...LOT

I hear ya ALLY, it should be a good game tomorrow. Saints/Lions. I might be going too, if a ticket falls through for me.. You may or may not relate to this, but when they won the Superbowl two years ago, there was a feeling in the air for the entire season-like it truly was destiny. It's hard to explain-maybe it was a boost of unbreakable confidence? I dunno, but it was a magic in the air that season. Even though I don't feel that same exact "presense" floating around this time-their chances are good...if they stay healthy. I think that game they played against the Rams a good while back was a fluke-same as the Green Bay/KC game. Shit happens....... The Dome will be electric tomorrow evening.

I hear ya ALLY, it should be a good game tomorrow. Saints/Lions. I might be going too, if a ticket falls through for me.. You may or may not relate to this, but when they won the Superbowl two years ago, there was a feeling in the air for the entire season-like it truly was destiny. It's hard to explain-maybe it was a boost of unbreakable confidence? I dunno, but it was a magic in the air that season. Even though I don't feel that same exact "presense" floating around this time-their chances are good...if they stay healthy. I think that game they played against the Rams a good while back was a fluke-same as the Green Bay/KC game. Shit happens....... The Dome will be electric tomorrow evening.

That was an incredible year for the Saints and I'm pretty sure that outside of Indianapolis, most of North America was rooting for the Saints during that Super Bowl run and victory. Yeah, it's different this year but just the same, they may not be THE favorites to do it but IMO, they certainly have all the ingredients to do it again.

I like Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta and Pittsburgh in this weekend's games. But I don't like the Vegas spreads. I think I'd take the underdog in almost all of them.

Let's start with Cincy @ Houston: Houston is at home, has the better record and Cincy won only 2 games the second half of the season and was 1-5 against team with a winning record. I like Houston to win, but I'm not giving up 4 points...with both teams being playoff virgins and having major QB issues, this has the feel of a field goal game. Say 20-17 or 13-10.

Detroit @ New Orleans: Sure I like the Saints to win. I don't think they'll come in overconfident like they did last year in getting upset by Seattle in the first round. Plus, they're playing at home. But 11 points is a lot of points to give up...especially with that less than stout Saints defense. Unless the Saints D has been playing possum all season, Detroit should be able to score enough to stay within 11 points. This actually could be the best game of the weekend with both teams zipping up and down the field, last team with the ball wins.

There's even a part of me that thinks Detroit can win...at least I did until hearing that Megatron didn't even practice until yesterday. Calvin Johnson has to be 100% for Detroit to have a shot.

Plus, I can't root against a lovely city like New Orleans...Deborah would have my head, haha. Detroit is just L.A. without the weather, the beaches, the girls, the food, the clubs.

Atlanta @ NY Giants: A tough game to pick, mainly because both teams are like Jekyll and Hyde; you never know which one will show up. The Giants are favoured by 3, which essentially means Las Vegas thinks both teams are even on a neutral field.

I am sensing negative energy from New York, though...like fans want Coughlin gone and they realize the only way this can happen is if the Giants lose. Atlanta can be scary good sometimes...and other times seem lost. They're like Philadelphia in that respect.

My hunch tells me Atlanta breaks through this time...or at worst, they'll keep it close enough to beat the spread.

Pittsburgh @ Denver: Ominous signs all week for Pittsburgh...Big Ben, Troy Polamalu, and others are gimpy and barely practicing, which is not how you like to get ready for the playoffs. The big blow is losing Mendenhall for the rest of the season.

Still, Pittsburgh's defense and Ben's veteran craftiness should be enough to get the Steelers a win. But no way am I giving 8 or 9 points away! This game could be 9-3 or something like that...especially if there is a freak blizzard. So, while I like the Steelers to win, I'm betting Denver plus the 9 points. Help me Jesus!

The most recent blow to the Steelers is that our running back coach was severely burned in a house fire early yesterday. Not life threatening, but burns to 30-50% of his body. His name is Kirby Wilson. Makes the game seem less important. I'm not big on prayers, but I said one for him last night. I can't imagine anything worse than being burned.

I'm no fan of the Steelers but Kirby will be in my prayers. No rivalry trumps the comfort and well being of any participant. The Baltimore lacrosse community just lost a long time official to similar injuries. May the good lord keep him safe and diminish his torment. Burns can be extremely painful and debilitating.

BOO!!!

Well, El Foldo is exactly what's happening. If only Cincy can get a couple cheap late scores to at least cover the spread.

20 minutes later...

Yep...it's pretty much over...Houston up 31-10 with 5 minutes to go. Looks like I begin the playoff weekend 0-1.

BOO!!!

Well, El Foldo is exactly what's happening. If only Cincy can get a couple cheap late scores to at least cover the spread.

20 minutes later...

Yep...it's pretty much over...Houston up 31-10 with 5 minutes to go. Looks like I begin the playoff weekend 0-1.

Don't worry...you can even out at 1-1 after the Saints game.

Don't worry...you can even out at 1-1 after the Saints game.

Actually, I bet two cards, so I'm already 1-1.

I bet one card just picking straight up winners: Houston, New Orleans, Atlanta, Pittsburgh.

My second card picks use the point spread: Cincy +4, Detroit +11, Atlanta +3 1/2, Denver +9.

It's all good no matter what, as I don't get too high or too low about my sports bets. Although the NFL playoffs and the Oscar pool come in handy when paying off post-Christmas bills.

Geaux Saints!!!

Drew Brees...466 yards and counting-WTF!

45-28

3:36 to play

Tom Benson (Saints owner) just had the camera on him- what a fuckin peice a' shit. He wanted to move the team after the Hurricane in 2005. (no more Saints) ...yeah, really -that's true!

Took a couple of New Orleans politicians to keep the team here. If it was up to Benson-they would have been gone-

Some people forget that

^^^I haven't forgotten.

Darn, I was holding my breath the last 5 minutes...I needed Detroit to score to get the spread within 11 pounts. That interception killed any chance of the Lions covering.

So, I'm 2-0 on one hand, and 0-2 on the other. Those oddsmakers have their jobs for a reason.

Good luck against San Francisco!

Saints / SF next week.

SF's on my top "Disliked teams" list (this year) along with my usual picks:

Atlanta (Conference rivals)

Philidelphia (Mike Vick - need I say more?)

Dallas (America's team...? -gimme a break- Romo's a joke)

Pittsburg (Never liked em')

Chicago (cold-blooded fans)

Archived