2011 NFL Football Thread

Bong-Man

Debs it is Rick, although he usually admits it! Anyway, he will flame out like the other 5 or so times he has already! It is a reunion around here lately.....of sorts! :blink:

I'm sure you're excited at your Saints prospects in the playoffs! Me, not so much - with my team that is!

Hi Walter:-)

I know Rock Historian is in Italy and missed the game this past Monday with the Falcons, Drew made us Who Dats very proud. I told RH I would yell loud enough for both of us and I did:-) :hurrah:

Brees is AMAZING! How many different weapons does he have anyway? I had Sproles on my fantasy team this season. Glad to hear things are going well for you. Congrats on the new job!! :)

Rick, you and I never had issues with each other....I can't say the same for others though! ;)

Why hold a grudge forever like some of them? What the hell did I really do? Think of that? Get drunk and say a few things like many others have? As for football, while Im here Ill give my thought. I am happy for the Lions. Will cheer for them but doubt they can go deep. I think the AFC is between Baltimore and New Eng. NFC Green Bay, New Orleans and Atlanta. But SAN Fran or Giants coube dangerous. Should be a good one betweeen Dallas and Giants

Raiders are STILL in it and no word from Strider?

Only a few games of interest this weekend. Who will get home field in the AFC? Who will win the AFC West? Oh yeah, and who'll win the NFC

LEast? ;)

You RANG, Walter?

Damn...can't a guy take a breather for a few days without people wondering where he's been? Hehehe. ;)

Yes, the Raiders are still alive...but just barely. Beat the Chargers and still need the Broncos to lose to the Chiefs. There are other scenarios that need to happen involving the Bengals and Jets.

But seriously, even if we make the playoffs, realistically we haven't a chance with all the injuries...the key one being McFadden's foot.

Was happy to see the Saints clinch and Drew Brees set the new single season passing yardage record...couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Hope he remains a Saint for the rest of his career...would hate to see him like Favre at the end, going from team to team.

Haven't seen anything yet that changes my mind about the top Super Bowl candidates from each conference: Green Bay and New Orleans in the NFC and New England, Baltimore and possibly Pittsburgh in the AFC.

Whoever wins the AFC West hasn't a chance in hell of making a dent in the playoffs. Same with the NFC East...the Cowboys and Giants are basically playing to save their coaches jobs and see who gets served up to New Orleans or Green Bay.

That's all this "freak" has to say.

I agree with all. A friend of mine is a Raiders fan and I have been telling him all year they are not very good.l Denver is not either as you all saw them get taken apart by Buffalo's third string lineup. Whoever comes out of the AFC west will be in for an embarrasing day when they head east to play whoever. I do not like New Englands defense enough to believe they can beat Baltimore. I think Baltimore will get there and lose. The 49ers are the true mystery and I think you are not giving Atlanta enough credit. They can beat anyone on a given day.

The 49ers are the true mystery and I think you are not giving Atlanta enough credit. They can beat anyone on a given day.

The problem I have putting faith in Atlanta is that whichever team they face, Green Bay or New Orleans or San Francisco, it won't be in the cozy confines of the Georgia Dome. Historically, Dome teams struggle outdoors in the playoffs.

And I just watched Drew Brees dismantle Atlanta's defense on Monday Night, so even though the game would be in a dome, it's New Orlean's dome.

As for the 49ers, yes they are a mystery....which isn't how you want to enter the playoffs. You usually want to head into the postseason with a little momentum. But after starting so hot, they've had some inexplicable losses and uninspiring wins lately. Struggling to beat the Seahawks doesn't make me want to put my money on their chances.

Again, like Atlanta, their fate rests with where they finish seeded. Noone can catch Green Bay, but if the 49ers can finish ahead of the Saints, that gives them home field advantage, and the Saints aren't as awesome outdoors on grass.

But if San Francisco finishes behind the Saints and Green Bay, two of the toughest places to play, their chances diminish greatly.

But, as they say: On any given Sunday.

I think Green Bay is ripe for the picking. I don't care what your record is, this ain't 6 weeks ago. Their offensive line is in shambles, and it wasn't very good to begin with. Let's see how they stand up in a playoff game. Their biggest playoff edge is homefield, but it's been very warm in the Great White North this year, so that may not be the edge it appears to be.

It amazes me that Mathew Stafford's season seems to flying under the NFL radar. His game last week against San Diego was down right scary. We put the whole game on his shoulders and he was cool as a cucumber as he picked them apart without mercy. The kid's only 23 years old and he just threw 36 TDs. He may have Megatron to help him out, but he's doing it with zero running game and an offensive line that's adequate at best.

Calvin Johnson has now separated himself from every receiver in the league, and it's how opposing defenses are treating him that prove it. I say we "punt" to him 4-5 times a game and hope for the best no matter who we play. The Lions could beat the Giants, Falcons, or San Fran, if they get that chance. We can't play with New Orleans, and must beat Green Bay this week to avoid them in the first round.

Well in Vegas the Lions are 3 1/2 point favorites AT GREEN BAY. Gee, I wonder why that is? If a person with no knowledge sees that they will think the bookies have lost their marbles and will bet the ranch on Green Bay. Ha. Not knowing they will sit all the starters. I really do want to see the Lions win. I would be happy to see it. But I do nott think they can win on the road in a hostile environment against a cold weather team.

Well in Vegas the Lions are 3 1/2 point favorites AT GREEN BAY. Gee, I wonder why that is? If a person with no knowledge sees that they will think the bookies have lost their marbles and will bet the ranch on Green Bay. Ha. Not knowing they will sit all the starters. I really do want to see the Lions win. I would be happy to see it. But I do nott think they can win on the road in a hostile environment against a cold weather team.

One of the Detroit media asked Stafford (who played at Georgia), if he had ever played a cold weather game before. His answer was he once played a bowl game when it was 52 degrees out. I'm betting everyone in Detroit who heard that stopped dead in their tracks and gave a big, "HUH ?"......just like I did.

It really doesn't matter what we do in the playoffs. It has been a sucessful year, and one to build on.

Green Bay is getting a first-round bye, correct? Who the Lions would get would be either New Orleans or San Fran, depending on who gets the other bye week. They are a good team though and it would be great to see them rematch with the 49'ers after what transpired post-game the 1st time!

The playoffs should be great on both sides of the league! Starting with a couple of crucial matchups this Sunday.

Hey Walter. Are you a Rams fan? I am a Bills fan and the Los Angeles Rams were always my second favorite team. I guess we will have to wait our turn. I believe the Bills when healthy are not so bad. But they desperately need a pass rusher and a linebacker. Those are the first needs. A friend of mine is pissed because we beat Denver. Wanted the QB from Oregon. I told him forget it. They are going with Fitz and will build the defense. I agree with that. I do not know if Fitz is the QB that was 5-2 when the team was healthy or the one that underthrows his recievers? I know they have a huge financial decision to make on keeping him. The big contract must have been drawn up with a fifth of good Scotch. It sucks to be a Bills fan. Wide right and all the rest.

49ers will win it all. B)

Everyone keeps expecting them to lose to this team, lose to that team...well, in spite of their somewhat lukewarm offense, they still have the #1 defense and special teams.

Do not underestimate them. (now with that said, if they choke against the Lambs I'll be pissed!!!)

Hey Bongman, if you read this, I was really shocked the Lions held San Diego to 10. I knew they would score alot but is the Lions defense getting better? If the Lions get a defense, look out. This is the best team they have had in my lifetime. Ever. I remember the days of Alex Karras in the late sixties. The game when Dempsey kicked that 63 yarder and Karras said "God Kicked it". I am happy for the Lions. Wish them well.

As for the 49ers, yes they are a mystery....which isn't how you want to enter the playoffs. You usually want to head into the postseason with a little momentum. But after starting so hot, they've had some inexplicable losses and uninspiring wins lately. Struggling to beat the Seahawks doesn't make me want to put my money on their chances.

Again, like Atlanta, their fate rests with where they finish seeded. Noone can catch Green Bay, but if the 49ers can finish ahead of the Saints, that gives them home field advantage, and the Saints aren't as awesome outdoors on grass.

But if San Francisco finishes behind the Saints and Green Bay, two of the toughest places to play, their chances diminish greatly.

But, as they say: On any given Sunday.

I think it's going to come down to the toughest defense (49ers) against the toughest offense (Packers).

Defense will prevail. :whistling:

Hey Bongman, if you read this, I was really shocked the Lions held San Diego to 10. I knew they would score alot but is the Lions defense getting better? If the Lions get a defense, look out. This is the best team they have had in my lifetime. Ever. I remember the days of Alex Karras in the late sixties. The game when Dempsey kicked that 63 yarder and Karras said "God Kicked it". I am happy for the Lions. Wish them well.
When I was 7 I was already watching the NFL. I asked my Dad the inevitable question of when the Lions would be in the playoffs. He looked at me and said, "Pay no attention son....they'll only break your heart." They made it when I was 10 in 1970. We lost to Dallas 5-0, and Greg Landry, our quarterback was so nervous he threw up on the sidelines twice. We didn't make the playoffs again until I was 23, and that was a strike year...we were 4-5. I went to our only playoff game win in my lifetime....1991 against Dallas. Two young teams at the crossroads...Barry and Emmitt. They went on to greatness thanks to the Hershel Walker trade, and we spun our wheels for 10 years and wasted the greatest running back in history. I gave up at one point in my 40's....didn't even watch. It was the 0-16 season that made me a fan again. In fact, on this board I predicted they would go 0-16 after week 5. I've still never seen anything like it. After all the bad football they played in my lifetime, they had my jaw literally on the floor that year. I was mezmerized by the ugliness of it all. That ESPN or ABC has the balls to put Matt Millen on a MSU or U-M broadcast in our area is literally still enough to make me wanna hurt someone.

But the 'Aints have won a Super bowl, and we will too. We have the GM, the coach, and the quarterback to take us there. I honestly believe that.

Oh...one other thing. My hat goes off to Dan Orlovsky, who broke the Colts' winless streak. He was our quarterback for much of the 0-16 season. No one on Earth deserves to go thru that twice.

I hope you guys do win one. I remember that 5-0 game. I started watching in 1968. I will admit I was very sad that that Colts team and the NFL lost to the Jets in what I still consider the greatest upset in sports history. Your boys are getting better and better. Now you are in. Regardless if they lose their playoff game this year their future is indeed bright. I will be rooting for them regardless of who they play. I thought my team was going somewhere and then we were pummeled with injuries and of course the reality of having no defensive pass rusher kicked in. Good luck to the Lions.

I hope you guys do win one. I remember that 5-0 game. I started watching in 1968. I will admit I was very sad that that Colts team and the NFL lost to the Jets in what I still consider the greatest upset in sports history. Your boys are getting better and better. Now you are in. Regardless if they lose their playoff game this year their future is indeed bright. I will be rooting for them regardless of who they play. I thought my team was going somewhere and then we were pummeled with injuries and of course the reality of having no defensive pass rusher kicked in. Good luck to the Lions.

I had a feeling the Jets were going to win that game. One of my oldest football memories is having to go in the other room by myself to watch the AFL on the spare tv. Even as a kid I knew they were tossing the ball all over the place, but Dad and Bro weren't interested. Those old Raider/Chief games were always classic, and they were usually all that was on at 4pm. We rarely caught the Bills because the 1pm start time conflicted with the Lions. Except for Lem Barney, we sucked then too.

I've owned one piece of Lions' paraphenalia in my life, and I got it for Christmas. It was a Johnny Morton jersey....we traded him 10 days later.

The stories of that QB who would drink a six pack at half time were great. I know his name but cannot bring ti to mind. I remember some of those shootouts between Lamonica and KC. Lamonica was great. The play I loved by the Colts back in that 68 season was the old flea flicker where Earl Morril would throw to the halfback Tom Matte and then he would toss it back to Morrill and then down the field to a guy like Willie Richardson. I will never know how they had the time. They could have had a tea party in that backfield. Oh, I think the Lions QB in the old days was Lane? Correct me if I am wrong. I do not like the officiating in todays game. They just blow too many calls. No reason for it. Anyway, people do not realize how good that Colts team was that the Jets upset. They won the title game in Cleveland, the only team to have beaten them in the regular season 30-20 and beat them 34-0 in Cleveland in the title game. They had a great team. So too did Kapp's Vikes who also got upset. Had they played the game on grass it would have been far different.

LedZeppFan77, you're thinking of Bobby Lane, QB of the Lions and one of the great characters of the NFL. Those were the days when athletes wouldn't think twice about smoking and drinking during a game.

Daryle "The Mad Bomber" Lamonica is a name that will always warm the cockles of this Raider fan's heart. Yes, I know Buffalo had him first, but it was with Oakland that he earned the "Mad Bomber" nickname.

The Raiders comeback against the Jets on Nov. 17, 1968 is my first football memory. I was 6 years old and that game instantly made me a Raider, Daryle Lamonica and AFL fan.

Bongman, I can only imagine the heartache being a Lion fan has caused you over the years. But now that there finally appears to be a winning structure taking shape and light appears at the end of the tunnel, this is no time to abandon hope.

After all, if the long woebegone Aints and Lambs can finally win a Super Bowl, why not the Lions?

The same goes for you Buffalo Bills fans.

I dont know which is worse, being a Bills fan or a Browns fan? At least we have been to four Super Bowls. And stunk up the joint but for one. Yes Bobby Lane. What a character. As for the Raiders i thought picking up Palmer was a great move. But he has not been the QB we expected he would be yet. But maybe he will pull a Rich Gannon? I cant believe the way Chicago fell apart after losing Cutler. I thought they could beat anyone until they lost him. And if San Diego does not fire Norv Turner this time I just give up. I mean, the guy has had the talent. By far the most talented team in that division for five years and what has he done? Why did they fire a guy that was 14-2 and lost to Brady in a tight game? As for the Bills, much bickering over this Fitzpatrick deal. Most feel we overpaid him and should get rid of him while we can. But I am not in agreement. I am for getting a pass rushing lineman first and foremost. When Wood and Bell, two injured linemen and Fred Jackson all return, they can score. And they can score enough to win. They just have to be able to stop the run. Time will tell. A friend of mine wants Fitz gone and for the Bills to trade down and try and get this QB from Oregon. Everyone in the world knows Indy will get Andrew Luck. I say build the defense and leave the Amish rifle in there. LOL. Can you believe they are selling, or trying to sell sweatshirts saying "Fitzmagic". Ha..

Oh, and I must add I loved watching Lamonica too. Those games were classic.

Ugh! This NY Jets-Miami game is U-G-L-Y so far...so many ridiculous penalties and mistakes. I need Miami to beat the Jets in this morning game, as that will help the Raiders chances for a Wild Card should Denver win the West.

I think I need Cincinnati and Tennessee to lose, too. Oh, and of course, the Raiders have to beat San Diego in the 1pm game after this Jets game is over.

Full day of football concludes with the Dallas-NY Giants game at 5pm.

Only problem is at last check Raiders are losing to Chargers. So if Denver loses also, and Cincy loses, who gets in? Does it reallly matter? Boy, my boys sure know how to lose. Up 21-0 and they get anialated 49-21. Dr Jekyl turns into Mr Hyde in the second half. That being the bearded woodchuck Fitzpatrick.

Archived