WIMBLEDON 2011: CAN A BRIT WIN IT?

Strider

He doesn't do himself any favours, neither with his bad attitude, which is totally unjustified by his modest level of success, nor with his 'Anyone But England' -type comments. It doesn't matter whether he meant it - he said it, and we don't forget things like that.

Speak for yourself.

I personally don't care if he said that. It just sounds like typical football banter to me.

• 11 months later...

:computertrash:

What the hell does the six-toed one have to do with Brits winning Wimbledon?

Next time, post it in the 'Beautiful Wrestlers' thread.

Well I am considerate of starting new threads here so I just dug up the old Wimpbledon thread. If someone really wants they can start a new one.

I don't care who wins as long as it isn't that spoiled, overrated Russian grunter, Sharapova. She sounds more American than Russian? She may be a good sort but like all the other grunters, not a good sport.

Spare me the usual bullshit about how many titles she has won, it's not hard to win when that incessant and annoying gutteral sound is putting off the opposition and I suspect the spectators too. I refuse to watch any matches that feature grunters both male and female. Don't call it gamesmanship, it's cheating pure and simple.

If the spectators have to remain silent throughout the sets then so should the players.

:goodpost:

I think I heard yesterday that the LTA (or Wimbledon specifically) is considering introducing anti-grunting rules. About bloody time. I can understand that tennis players, male or female, might end up whimpering or groaning towards the end of the match - I know from past experience just how exhausting tennis can be - but this vile creature is at it pretty much from the get-go.

It really is quite astonishing that she is allowed to get away with it. I may be mistaken, but I thought the umpires used to give out warnings for excessive shrieking? Seems they've just given up now. Maybe they're scared of the 6-foot, 12-toed, man-faced monster?

I just saw that she's 4 days older than my wife. But that's where the similarities end, thank goodness.

Like your wife could hold a candle to that hottie. You are freakin nuttier than a fruit cake. My baby wins again. Maria!!!!!! :drunk:

06_msharapova_15.jpg

22 32pm. The Missus is still watching Murray and Bahgdatis....The Sock has just gone 2 up..wish the fuck they'd get an f'in move on....I'm waiting to watch The Who Quadrophenia doc that was on that I Sky+ed last night......Think I'll get a Beer out of the fridge...Got a couple of bottles of Scottish Strawberry Beer, time to give it a try.

I'm more sad about the departure of Kim Clijsters in today's match. This was to be the Belgian and all-around nice girl Kim's final Wimbledon before she retires for good. I was cheering for her to go all the way.

With Maria gone, it'll be a quieter Wimbledon...but not quiet enough, as there are plenty of grunters left in the field. Actually, grunter isn't quite accurate, especially with a girl like Maria. There is also a little shrieking going on.

So maybe call Maria and her fellow noisemakers "griekers" or "shrunters".

Just don't call her Wimbledon champion. At least, not this year.

I'm more sad about the departure of Kim Clijsters in today's match. This was to be the Belgian and all-around nice girl Kim's final Wimbledon before she retires for good. I was cheering for her to go all the way.

With Maria gone, it'll be a quieter Wimbledon...but not quiet enough, as there are plenty of grunters left in the field. Actually, grunter isn't quite accurate, especially with a girl like Maria. There is also a little shrieking going on.

So maybe call Maria and her fellow noisemakers "griekers" or "shrunters".

Just don't call her Wimbledon champion. At least, not this year.

Now now Strider. She has won a grand slam. Leave my baby alone. :lol:

Now now Strider. She has won a grand slam. Leave my baby alone. :lol:

You know how I'm a stickler for accuracy Rick, so I can't let that comment slide without proper qualification. A true 'Grand Slam' is when a player wins all 4 majors(Australian, French, Wimbledon, US) in the same calendar year; as my beloved Steffi Graf did in 1988(also adding a 1988 Olympic Gold Medal for a Golden Grand Slam).

Led by the cheerleaders at ESPN, there's been a trend by media to refer to a player winning each of the 4 majors in different years as having completed a 'career grand slam', somewhat devalueing the term 'grand slam' in the process.

Well the Jock is through to the final first Brit to do so since 1934,The fact that he's not English takes the shine off somewhat. Still it has to be said well done Minty*.

*Minty - A well known UK confectionary, Murray Mints.

Well, make that 77 years and counting...

Murray gave it the ole college try, but Federer is just too good. When Andy lost that marathon 6th game in the 3rd set, I knew it was over.

But riddle me this, Batman...why was there a bloody rain delay?!? If you're going to make a big to-do about having a retractable roof for Centre Court, what good is it if you don't use the damn thing?

Rain is predictable...especially in England...you can see the rain clouds gathering ahead of time. That roof should have been closed from the get-go. Instead there's a rain delay and it was clear when they came back, Murray's momentum was off.

Plus there was obviously footing problems on Andy's side of the net, due to wet grass. Andy went down numerous times in that pivotal 6th game of the 3rd set. I'm not saying Andy would have won had there been no rain delay, but it definitely seemed to help Federer.

Some solace for Andy: his girl is hotter than Roger's.

Congrats to King Roger on his 7th Wimbledon title. Better luck next year Great Britain...maybe you can exact some measure of revenge at the Olympics.

Question for the Brits on this forum: After the Queen's Jubilee, the Euro Cup, Murray's run at Wimbledon, and now the upcoming Olympics, are you beginning to suffer from Union Jack overload?

You know how I'm a stickler for accuracy Rick, so I can't let that comment slide without proper qualification. A true 'Grand Slam' is when a player wins all 4 majors(Australian, French, Wimbledon, US) in the same calendar year; as my beloved Steffi Graf did in 1988(also adding a 1988 Olympic Gold Medal for a Golden Grand Slam).

Led by the cheerleaders at ESPN, there's been a trend by media to refer to a player winning each of the 4 majors in different years as having completed a 'career grand slam', somewhat devalueing the term 'grand slam' in the process.

Lets get right to the point Strider. Are you going to tell me she is not one of the best women player's in the world? And to boot hot enough to make the swimsuit edition of SI

Question for the Brits on this forum: After the Queen's Jubilee, the Euro Cup, Murray's run at Wimbledon, and now the upcoming Olympics, are you beginning to suffer from Union Jack overload?

Well, for the Euros it was the St George's Cross, not the Union Jack, because it was England and not Britain. :)

Lets get right to the point Strider. Are you going to tell me she is not one of the best women player's in the world? And to boot hot enough to make the swimsuit edition of SI

She is not as good as you think she is, not yet. When she has won a real Grand Slam, four majors, then she can be called a champion. As for the swimsuit, any blond bimbo would look good in a skimpy bikini and with an airbrush anything is possible. Why do they constantly photograph her arse? Her best side perhaps?

A dead man has won £100,000 (US$158,000) for a charity after a bet he made in 2003 came in when Swiss tennis star Roger Federer won his seventh Wimbledon championship.

Nick Newlife placed £1,520 at odds of 66/1 that Swiss tennis champion Roger Federer would win seven championships at Britain's annual Wimbledon tournament by 2019, a feat the sportsman managed yesterday (08.07.12) by defeating British star Andy Murray.

Nick died in 2009 but he left the betting slip to aid charity Oxfam in his will and the organisation are now in line to collect £101,840 as a result of the tennis star's triumph.

Archived