WIMBLEDON 2011: CAN A BRIT WIN IT?

Strider

Virginia Wade in 1977. Fred Perry in 1936.

Those are the last Brits, man and woman, to win the Single's Championships at Wimbledon. A fact that probably every English school pupil can recite from memory.

But now Andy Murray is in the semi-finals, matched up against the indefatigable Rafael Nadal.

In the other semi, it's Tsonga vs. Djokovic. Tsonga shocked Federer in the QF's today, after being down 2 sets to none! The King is dead, long live the King!

With Federer out, I am throwing all my support behind Murray. It would be beyond awesome to witness the first British male in 75 years to win Wimbledon! I remember watching Virginia Wade winning in 77 while I was recuperating from the Zeppelin concerts, and I recall the waves of love showered upon her from the crowd. It was thrilling to watch.

GO ANDY MURRAY! Beat the Spaniard!

On the women's side, it's GO MARIA SHARAPOVA!

I'm still in shock over my Roger losing today, but no doubt will rally 'round Mr. Murray. I love Novak too, he's great.

I'm with you on that FireOpal...SHOCKED TO THE CORE!

But had Federer won, I think there's a good chance he would have lost to Djokavic in the semi's, as he has had Federer's number recently.

People traditionally drink champagne and Pimm's at the tournament as well. I tried a Pimm's at a pub last summer and it was surprisingly strong. I have a high capacity for alcohol but this drink, tasty as it was, made my face go red and I felt really hot. It was in Wiltshire (in The Wheat Sheaf, where legend has it Sting wrote "Fields of Gold") so maybe it was something to do with the ley lines and earth energies feckin' with me. No, it was the Pimm's definitely.

Back to the tennis: looks like Sharapova has a clear path to the Championship since the Williams sisters and Wozniaki were sent packing. It's hers to lose.

Incidentally, doesn't her "grunt" sound uncannily like a fox bark? I wonder if an unusual number of male foxes have been drawn onto the Wimbledon grounds thinking a lonely female was calling to them.

I love Pimm's! The first time I had it was in New Orleans last summer at the Napoleon House in the French Quarter. I now have a bottle of my own but I can't replicate the wonderful taste of the Napoleon's Pimm's Cup. Yummy!

Sorry to have veered off topic.threadjacked.gif

Back to tennis: Go Murray and Sharapova! cheer.gif

People traditionally drink champagne and Pimm's at the tournament as well. I tried a Pimm's at a pub last summer and it was surprisingly strong. I have a high capacity for alcohol but this drink, tasty as it was, made my face go red and I felt really hot. It was in Wiltshire (in The Wheat Sheaf, where legend has it Sting wrote "Fields of Gold") so maybe it was something to do with the ley lines and earth energies feckin' with me. No, it was the Pimm's definitely.

Back to the tennis: looks like Sharapova has a clear path to the Championship since the Williams sisters and Wozniaki were sent packing. It's hers to lose.

Incidentally, doesn't her "grunt" sound uncannily like a fox bark? I wonder if an unusual number of male foxes have been drawn onto the Wimbledon grounds thinking a lonely female was calling to them.

Hi FireOpal,

So are you saying Sharapovais a Dog ? or maybe a Bitch? :o

Of course a Brit can win wimbledon, but can a Yank ever win it again with all the Eastern European and Chineese Talent that is here now and upcomming?

Regards, Danny

PS, Come on TIM. :lol:

PPS, This grunting is really unnessary and pissing me right off.

I would say no....not a chance...As for Murray he's doing it for Scotland not Britain, so screw him.................................Anway to me this is Wimblebore fortnight...My wife loves it..and here's me, I get home from A hard days work wanting a quick 40 wink powernap on the sofa and what do I get but a bunch of raquet jocks making a racket yellping and grunting that is impossible to sleep through... Thank ckuf it will be all over by Sunday.

PS, Come on TIM. :lol:

HA! You might as well root for a Yank...or Fred Perry, as he has a better chance of coming back from the dead and winning Wimbledon than "YOUR" Tim. Henman's toast...he's finished. Kaput.

Now, Pimms...there's something worth posting about. Loved the stuff whenever I was in "Merry Olde", and thankfully, it is stocked in a few shops here in L.A.

Rather unfortunately, I am under no-alcohol orders, so no Pimms...or Champagne, Newcastle or Guinness for me this year. It's strictly strawberries and cream.

HA! You might as well root for a Yank...or Fred Perry, as he has a better chance of coming back from the dead and winning Wimbledon than "YOUR" Tim. Henman's toast...he's finished. Kaput.

Now, Pimms...there's something worth posting about. Loved the stuff whenever I was in "Merry Olde", and thankfully, it is stocked in a few shops here in L.A.

Rather unfortunately, I am under no-alcohol orders, so no Pimms...or Champagne, Newcastle or Guinness for me this year. It's strictly strawberries and cream.

Hi Strider,

You dont understand, we shout out "Come on Tim" to piss off the Jock Wannabe Wimbledon Champion, who has no love for England so fcuk him. :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

Hi FireOpal,

So are you saying Sharapovais a Dog ? or maybe a Bitch? :o

No way, I like Maria - always have. What they call her "grunting" tho does indeed sound like a fox cry to me. Just an observation, 'tis all. I dig foxes as well.

Hi Strider,

You dont understand, we shout out "Come on Tim" to piss off the Jock Wannabe Wimbledon Champion, who has no love for England so fcuk him. :o;):lol:

Regards, Danny

I don't know who I dislike more, Braveheart or his dreadful mother. If my mother was like that, following me around like a stalker and watching my every move, I think I'd be a bitter, whiney creep too.

But at least I wouldn't be a Jock :lol:

I don't know who I dislike more, Braveheart or his dreadful mother. If my mother was like that, following me around like a stalker and watching my every move, I think I'd be a bitter, whiney creep too.

But at least I wouldn't be a Jock :lol:

Hi Bouillon,

There is nothing wrong with being Scotch, but an English Hating Jock like he is, well i dont even know why he speaks English, Garlic would be more appropriate wouldnt it?

Kind Regards, Danny

I don't know what a Jock is (in America, it's an athletic, sporty person in the positive sense. It can also be used derogatively to mean someone who's not very bright and/or a bully), but Andy Murray is NOT anti-English.

This entry from Wikipedia clears up the hoo-ha:

Murray identifies himself as Scottish and British. Prior to Wimbledon 2006, Murray caused some public debate when he was quoted as saying he would "support anyone but England" at the 2006 World Cup. He received large amounts of hate mail on his website as a result.

Murray explained that his comments were said in jest during a light-hearted interview with sports columnist Maurice Russo, who asked him if he would be supporting Scotland in the World Cup, in the knowledge that Scotland had failed to qualify for the tournament. Sports journalist Des Kelly wrote that another tabloid had later "lifted a couple of [the comments] into a 'story' that took on a life of its own and from there the truth was lost" and that he despaired over the "nonsensical criticism".

Murray protested that he is "not anti-English and never was" and he expressed disappointment over England's subsequent elimination by Portugal. In an interview with Nicky Campbell on BBC Radio 5 Live, Tim Henman confirmed that the remarks had been made in jest and were only in response to Murray being teased by Kelly and Henman. He also stated that the rumour that Murray had worn a Paraguay shirt was untrue.

In an interview with Gabby Logan for the BBC's Inside Sport programme, Murray said that he was both Scottish and British and was comfortable and happy with his British identity. He said he saw no conflict between the two and was equally proud of them. He has also pointed out that he is quarter English with some of his family originating from Newcastle, and that his girlfriend, Kim Sears, is English.

I don't know what a Jock is (in America, it's an athletic, sporty person in the positive sense. It can also be used derogatively to mean someone who's not very bright and/or a bully), but Andy Murray is NOT anti-English.

This entry from Wikipedia clears up the hoo-ha:

Murray identifies himself as Scottish and British. Prior to Wimbledon 2006, Murray caused some public debate when he was quoted as saying he would "support anyone but England" at the 2006 World Cup. He received large amounts of hate mail on his website as a result.

Murray explained that his comments were said in jest during a light-hearted interview with sports columnist Maurice Russo, who asked him if he would be supporting Scotland in the World Cup, in the knowledge that Scotland had failed to qualify for the tournament. Sports journalist Des Kelly wrote that another tabloid had later "lifted a couple of [the comments] into a 'story' that took on a life of its own and from there the truth was lost" and that he despaired over the "nonsensical criticism".

Murray protested that he is "not anti-English and never was" and he expressed disappointment over England's subsequent elimination by Portugal. In an interview with Nicky Campbell on BBC Radio 5 Live, Tim Henman confirmed that the remarks had been made in jest and were only in response to Murray being teased by Kelly and Henman. He also stated that the rumour that Murray had worn a Paraguay shirt was untrue.

In an interview with Gabby Logan for the BBC's Inside Sport programme, Murray said that he was both Scottish and British and was comfortable and happy with his British identity. He said he saw no conflict between the two and was equally proud of them. He has also pointed out that he is quarter English with some of his family originating from Newcastle, and that his girlfriend, Kim Sears, is English.

Thanks FireOpal. I didn't really believe BigDan's malarkey about Murray being anti-England and all, but others might have. It's so typical of the tabloid media...and the American tabloids are just as bad.

Fortunately you had a rational response and answer instead of a knee-jerk one that only reinforces the fabrication.

GO ANDY! GO MARIA! :cheer: :cheer:

...looks like Sharapova has a clear path to the Championship...

I wonder if she grunts like that in bed? That would get annoying really quick...plus you'd go deaf.

Andy gave it a try, but yes, Nadal is just too strong right now.

So now it's GO Djokovic and GO Maria!!! :cheer::cheer:

JUST.NOT.GOOD.ENOUGH.

Physically - and, more important, mentally - The Jock is a weakling compared to Nadal. But I guess that's what happens when you spend too much time in a man-skirt.

He had Nadal on the ropes until he missed that sitter in the 2nd set, after which it was all too predictable. Quite how or why he allowed himself to implode after missing JUST ONE SHOT is baffling, but as soon as it happened, I knew exactly what was coming.

He doesn't do himself any favours, neither with his bad attitude, which is totally unjustified by his modest level of success, nor with his 'Anyone But England' -type comments. It doesn't matter whether he meant it - he said it, and we don't forget things like that.

Still, to his credit, he's managed to bag himself a hot chick - not bad for a Dean Gaffney lookalike. I wouldn't complain if I had to listen to her grunting for a couple of hours...

Archived