Jeff Beck hints at collaboration with Robert Plant

reswati

My link

Beck suggests that the duo may be working together in an exclusive interview with Planet Rock

Rob Birnie spoke to the guitar legend yesterday about his forthcoming Living Legend award at the Classic Rock Awards, and during the interview Rob asked Jeff about whether in this day in age, when supergroups are particularly fashionable, he had been tempted to form a band with some of his famous friends.

He answered: "There's whispers about Robert Plant."

"I met him recently," Jeff continued. "He came into my dressing room. I was playing in the New Orleans Jazz Rock Blues Festival. I said to my manager 'Get out of my dressing room and let me sleep for 20 minutes. I haven't slept all night. You let anybody in here and i'm gonna knock em out.' And then I hear 'Alright. How you doin'?' and it was Robert Plant!

"We had a lovely chat. I think maybe he saw the act; I put on a pretty good show. And I think that there may be something there. Who knows?

"I think that the common denominator would be the Eastern, you know, the kind of Arabic... I love that. That's prevalent in Zeppelin's music. The quarter tone scale, I just love that. There's more mileage in that... the exciting rhythms that he likes.

"We're both pretty busy at the moment but if the desire's there you make it happen."

In the meantime Jeff has revealed that he has a project on the go that is looking likely to surprise everyone. He was particularly closed-lipped about the project but it sounds more than a little intriguing.

"Something is in place at the moment. The surpirse element is key to the whole thing. It is VERY surprising," he revealed. And when Rob asked whether it was more surprising than potentially working with Robert Plant he said

"Yeah, I think so. Well, maybe different. He may even be part of it, I don't know. I would welcome that. He would slot in with what I've got in mind but if he doesn't it's still exciting."

In terms of timescale, it's looking likely that we'll see the mystery project emerge early in 2012, followed by a tour.

It's weird the way he phrases this as he makes it seem like they hadn't met before but they have, many times, and only a couple of years ago were on the bill for a semi-private gig in the Midlands where they were both "star guests" at the after-party.

My link

Beck suggests that the duo may be working together in an exclusive interview with Planet Rock

Rob Birnie spoke to the guitar legend yesterday about his forthcoming Living Legend award at the Classic Rock Awards, and during the interview Rob asked Jeff about whether in this day in age, when supergroups are particularly fashionable, he had been tempted to form a band with some of his famous friends.

He answered: "There's whispers about Robert Plant."

"I met him recently," Jeff continued. "He came into my dressing room. I was playing in the New Orleans Jazz Rock Blues Festival. I said to my manager 'Get out of my dressing room and let me sleep for 20 minutes. I haven't slept all night. You let anybody in here and i'm gonna knock em out.' And then I hear 'Alright. How you doin'?' and it was Robert Plant!

"We had a lovely chat. I think maybe he saw the act; I put on a pretty good show. And I think that there may be something there. Who knows?

"I think that the common denominator would be the Eastern, you know, the kind of Arabic... I love that. That's prevalent in Zeppelin's music. The quarter tone scale, I just love that. There's more mileage in that... the exciting rhythms that he likes.

"We're both pretty busy at the moment but if the desire's there you make it happen."

In the meantime Jeff has revealed that he has a project on the go that is looking likely to surprise everyone. He was particularly closed-lipped about the project but it sounds more than a little intriguing.

"Something is in place at the moment. The surpirse element is key to the whole thing. It is VERY surprising," he revealed. And when Rob asked whether it was more surprising than potentially working with Robert Plant he said

"Yeah, I think so. Well, maybe different. He may even be part of it, I don't know. I would welcome that. He would slot in with what I've got in mind but if he doesn't it's still exciting."

In terms of timescale, it's looking likely that we'll see the mystery project emerge early in 2012, followed by a tour.

Hmmmm....I wonder what he is up to? Robert is not the member of Zep that I would want working with Beck. I wonder if he is hinting at someone else...Maybe a former brunette perhaps...intriguing.

Both Beck and Plant have a great love for pre Beatles era rock and roll music. I find this possiblity to be intriuging for sure, it might be twangy or rootsy. That would be very cool.

Maybe they'll just end up doing a blues rock screamer.............Zepp fans the world over would collectively lose their minds over that one. :D

I think it is very intriguing! With the way JPJ has been working with everyone, why wouldn't he do a little something with Beck and anyone else who might be along for the ride! ;)

it's great to see JPJ playing so much. I think Beck and JPJ would work well together. How well do you think Beck and JPJ already know each other?

it's great to see JPJ playing so much. I think Beck and JPJ would work well together. How well do you think Beck and JPJ already know each other?

Well enough to have played together on Donovan's Barabjagal album, as rumour has it?

Well enough to have played together on Donovan's Barabjagal album, as rumour has it?

Cool . JPJ did a lot of stuff back in the studio days. I'd like to see Beck get in touch with JPJ to lay down some fusion, rockabilly, roots or whatever we know JPJ can play at all. I really think JPJ would be a smart pick for Beck. That's if JPJ is interested, hopefully, he would be.

They date back to Beck's "Truth" album and probably earlier than that. Yeah, I think it would be very interesting to see what they could come up with for a song arrangement or more. Hearing something from Jeff and Robert would be very cool as well! B)

Archived