Clarity of Bonzo's drumming in Led Zeppelin I

FrogPets

I'm always shocked when I hear how clear sound every one of his drum beats is in Led Zeppelin I. The first second of Good Times Bad Times, the famous triplets in Dazed and Confused (4:58-5:02) and more... Considering this album was recorded on (I think) about $3,000 and he was only 21 at the time I consider this a huge achievement.

Can anyone recommend any other songs from '69 and before where you can hear such clarity? Most of the stuff from the late '60s and before sounds muffled and messy.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm always shocked when I hear how clear sound every one of his drum beats is in Led Zeppelin I. The first second of Good Times Bad Times, the famous triplets in Dazed and Confused (4:58-5:02) and more... Considering this album was recorded on (I think) about $3,000 and he was only 21 at the time I consider this a huge achievement.

Can anyone recommend any other songs from '69 and before where you can hear such clarity? Most of the stuff from the late '60s and before sounds muffled and messy.

Moby Dick LZ2 1969 Il get me coat

I hear John Bonham's clarity and driving force on several Zep tunes that demonstrate how outstanding his drumming was. Especially impressive, as drumming is something I don't normally notice as much as guitar and keys. Songs like No Quarter, TSRTS, and too many others to list come to mind. :)

As for other bands, there is this clip I posted over on the one hit thread and it has stunning drumming imo, so will re-post here for you to evaluate the drummer. I realize he is well known, but never knew what this drummer could do until I heard this clip.

Amazing.

The Vanilla Fudge w/ Carmine Appice (drums), show orginally aired in January 1968.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5WMh9BAFmM&feature=related

Check out the last minute or so of the song especially........wow. :) missy

The Jimi Hendrix Experience with the late Mitch Mitchell on drums. About as clear as it got before Bonzo

^^^ Yes ally, you are so right! Listening to a lot of Jimi Hendrix lately, I should have thought of that myself.

Because I DO hear Mitch Mitchell's drumming very well with any JHE song I've heard thus far.

He was obviously very talented and seems to me along with Noel Redding complimented Jimi Hendrix perfectly. :) .....missy

Surely some credit has to go to the producer for getting such a great sound, no? Just saying...

I personally love Michael Shrieve's drumming on the classic Santana recordings. He was also a stand-out performer at Woodstock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1ASj7Yh4I

[there's a 1-minute intro by Carmine Appice of Vanilla Fudge - sorry]

Surely some credit has to go to the producer for getting such a great sound, no? Just saying...

I personally love Michael Shrieve's drumming on the classic Santana recordings. He was also a stand-out performer at Woodstock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AG1ASj7Yh4I

[there's a 1-minute intro by Carmine Appice of Vanilla Fudge - sorry]

I've always thought this was a great clip in the WOODSTOCK movie. He just looks like he's have the time of his life up there.

Yep, the production certainly made a huge difference . Michael Shrieve..brilliant drummer B)

Led Zeppelin I was recorded in Sept and Oct of 1968.

The P.J.Proby lp recorded a few weeks earlier has that same Bonzo drum sound. He wasn't using the larger drum kit (with the 26" bass drum) yet. What contributed to his sound was that he tuned much higher than other drummers. (similar to jazz drummers) I would think many jazz lps around that time would be somewhat similar in clarity. (assuming good recording rules were followed like distant miking. Distance = depth as opposed to close miking which made drums sound like cardboard)

I don't think the sound on any pre LZ1 rock drum tracks come close to what John Bonham Jimmy Page ... (and Glynn Johns) achieved on Led Zeppelin 1.. There is nothing that I've heard from that time frame that even comes close..

I think it was combination of the way John Bonham played, the way he tuned his Drum Kit, the way Page and Johns recorded his kit with few mics properly placed ... as opposed to slapping the mics right on the drum heads.... the distance makes depth approach that Jimmy Page was always preaching...

When The Levee Breaks is probably the most influential and greatest rock drum track recorded... 1 MIC hung 10 feet over the kit.

There were some great jazz recordings from the early 60's.

I loved the way the late Mitch Mitchell played, but I always thought his kit sounded very tinny... same with Ginger Baker, and Keith Moon. Carmine Appice's kit sounded distorted on some early Vanilla Fudge recordings I've heard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I loved the way the late Mitch Mitchell played, but I always thought his kit sounded very tinny...

I thought so myself....great drummer though. What a shame that some of the greatest to ever sit behind a kit, didn't get justice done to recording their instrument properly. Bonham was fortunate in that respect.

I thiink the drumming on When the Levee Breaks is just incredible. And for a quick example of his excellance the much maligned but still great song Dyer Maker.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Archived